• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

I made dough Sunday night for pizza this week. I was expecting the Ooni Pizza oven to arrive Monday and I would give it a test drive.
But it didn't arrive.
So, when it was obvious that it wasn't arriving today either, I took the dough out of the fridge and we made pizza tonight.
1077272768_MushroomandSausageDecember1st2020.thumb.jpg.634180a8b588cf5592fd5f75d27f8444.jpg

Cooked on stones on the grill.
I'll have to made another batch of dough tomorrow and have it ready to go when the pizza oven arrives.
1722774831_MushroomandSausageDecember1st20201.thumb.jpg.100a116006a2697ff7bd5ad4a58166ca.jpg

Moe and I shared an Italian sausage and mushroom pizza.
  • Like 18
  • Delicious 5

At last! A bison burger success! In the past, my bison burgers have always turned out dry. Tonight, I used lean ground bison, added an egg, panko crumbs, shredded cheese, Worchestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and mixed with as little handling as possible. Chilled the pattie in the fridge for about 30 minutes while I got the sides ready. These were sprayed with Pam, and grilled in the cast iron pan on med. high. Took a little longer, but didn't smoke up the kitchen!
The burgers were topped with slices of avocado, grilled red onions, accompanied by slaw, carrots, Cavendish tater wedges, and a pickle.

1656182006_BisonBurgers2697.jpg.a5acf9486694d0bee4d137888a91cb05.jpg             

Started the Xmas baking today, shortbread cookies! These are ones made with cornstarch, icing sugar, and flour, each hand rolled then pressed. These are a firmer cookie to handle and bite into, but then, melts in the mouth. This is one of our family traditions. We have to go into the city again for doctor's appointments, so I will have boxes of these cookies and my New Zealand Birdseed Bars to take to the 2 kids and their families as we won't be able to have our usual family gathering. Manitoba is still under Covid Code Red, and our daughter and s-i-l are both health care front line workers (doctor and advance care paramedic), so definitely no contact.

1819405302_Traditionbegins!693.jpg.3b7d4135c31964a5a3179f4ae9c4a230.jpg

• Like 14

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

1861127970_Thaicurryporkandcorn12-01JPG.thumb.jpeg.952a355ebecbc7475fd28b8e597227b0.jpeg

Thai green curry with pork and fresh corn. Lots of holy Thai (thanks, @KennethT) basil and cilantro atop.  Getting better at this Thai thing.

522229374_Cabbagestirfried12-01.thumb.jpeg.1ff3636d489e642578dd8581c76ff853.jpeg

Stir-fried cabbage. Round head, farmer's market organic stuff. Only seasoned with salt, pepper, and mild Sichuan chili flakes from Mala Project.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Beautiful meals all around this thread - it's a pleasure to scroll though :)

Cheat spinach nokedli (spätzle). Cheat because the batter is steamed then cut (rather than dropped into boiling water). Topped with cheese sauce (modernist cuisine style) of Maasdammer and blue cheese, with some milk, mustard and pepper. I made them too big by mistake, but still tastes great.

"Romanian" frittatas with mushrooms, bell pepper, onion, paprika, lots of tarragon, brined cheese, sour cream, garlic.

Peas with mushrooms, butter, dill, vinegar, pepper and a bit of aniseed.

Semi-sweet vinegar pickles (radish, onion, cuces) with some bay leaves, mustard seeds. Served topped with fresh mint and parsley.

And a dunkel weissbier.

PXL_20201121_190434869.jpg

PXL_20201121_192321676.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

21 minutes ago, KennethT said:

@weinooIs that holy basil on top or thai basil?  Holy basil is not usually eaten raw.

Hmmm good question... I didn’t even think about that!

Edited by weinoo (log)

Tasty Travails - My Blog

6 minutes ago, weinoo said:

also, holy basil is much harder to find.  Prepandemic, when I'd go to teh Thai store on Mosco St., if you didn't get there early, they'd be sold out.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, KennethT said:

@weinooIs that holy basil on top or thai basil?  Holy basil is not usually eaten raw.

14 minutes ago, weinoo said:

8 minutes ago, KennethT said:

also, holy basil is much harder to find.  Prepandemic, when I'd go to teh Thai store on Mosco St., if you didn't get there early, they'd be sold out.

Under the rubric of you learn something new every day here on eGullet:

I looked at the basil I have in my fridge, and it is indeed Thai basil, not holy basil, nor Thai holy basil (hey make in confusing!)

Identifying holy basil is a little more complicated as it doesn’t come in vibrant violet strains. If you know what you’re looking for, it shouldn’t be an issue.  

Holy basil is a tall plant, towering in at 2-3 feet tall with hairy stems. Its strong pepper clove aroma is iconic. Another giveaway of the holy basil is the toothed edges of the leaves which are larger than their Thai counterparts. It’s an elegant plant if you ask me.

as it is violet tinged and has straight edged leaves.  More:

https://minigardenguide.com/thai-basil-vs-holy-basil/

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

46 minutes ago, sjemac said:

Venison (moose) sauce piquante from  https://honest-food.net/venison-sauce-piquante-recipe/.    Replaced the bell pepper with charred and skinless Poblanos though.

Moose - new one on me. As a "run for the hills" bell pepper person I heartily approve of your poblano sub :)

Shot the last deer of the season on Monday.  Tonight was grilled deer heart with grilled peppers and onions and oven roasted spuds. Embraced the bell peppers tonight.  More char than I wanted on the veg.  The Big Green Egg (knockoff) got too hot.

File_000.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

Another "I really don't want to cook but my mum guilt level is too high" meal. Cheesy one pan pasta for one. 

Fry Bacon, chuck in some flour, add milk and chicken stock, add pasta, add chopped frozen green beans and cauliflower and chilli flakes. Cook til done and stir through some cheddar and parmesan. It's not pretty or healthy but Guilt partially eased. 

20201203_190324.thumb.jpg.b4cc3d3105b7b061576d45520ca4ba22.jpg

I am ALL for easy cheat meals don't get me wrong. But he had frozen pizza last night and I don't remember Tuesday so I felt Mr 7 better eat something with a spec of green in it 😂

Edited by CantCookStillTry (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 1

Two different Meera Sodha curries last night (because, of course, nobody could agree on just one 🙃)  Paneer butter masala with carmelized red onion-tamarind rice

31933661_paneermasala.thumb.jpg.e388c18dcc5afcc948210c26ca5682ab.jpg

Keralan vegetable istoo with plain rice.  The recipe said you could put in any vegetables that you wanted, so I used carrots, spinach, and honey nut squash from my CSA box

1149139834_keralanvegetableistoo.thumb.jpg.6ce9ac215c7d953af754794adfc9b485.jpg

Both curries and the caramelized onion-tamarind rice are from her book Fresh India.  

I also made naan but forgot to take a picture of it. 

• Like 14
  • Delicious 3

Fried rice with char siu, egg, peas, carrots and cabbage.  The char siu was an experiment.  I made it with scraps of pork loin that I had sliced into chops and these pieces were too irregular to make a nice chop, so I cut them up into small bits.  Cooked in the BSOA on air fryer mode.  Came out a bit dry, but still tasty.  Normally I make it with shoulder which has more fat and therefore more moist.

fried-rice6.jpg.ca0f3d29c78a0f2784ce7c2bdf31ae5e.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Bacon cheeseburger, hold the bun, extra lettuce, add avocado, grate the cheese. Comes with red onion, cherry tomatoes. 

803E7CE9-B80E-4145-A812-F02440D1B056.jpeg.a51fa4d65db14b9bde0c0f99404f66a8.jpeg

Edited by patti (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 2

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

Not that special but quick and homemade fried rice for kidlet - I had the last of the Bacon and a bunch of eggs to use up (my child HATES eggs - loves the "yellow fluff" in fried rice though 🙄). (Over) tCooked the rice yesterday and fridged. Oyster sauce, soy, cooking wine, sesame oil (needed more oyster and soy for my taste but salt/seven). Handful of frozen veg & some spring onion. 10 minutes of my time and 10 points towards feeling better about my cooking rut. 

20201204_183157.thumb.jpg.718938ac8bd1debbacb10ff257c533b1.jpg

• Like 17
  • Delicious 1