• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

Good morning everyone, I say this every time I post, because it's true: Your dinners all look incredible! 

This was my Thanksgiving dinner! I had braised/roasted turkey thighs, stuffing with sage and sausage, mashed potatoes with a very pale gravy (Still learning!), sweet potatoes roasted with garlic and rosemary, two very similar salads. One is fennel, arugula, green apple, orange and pomegranate, and the other is shaved Brussel sprouts, green apple, pomegranate and walnuts. We couldn't decide between the two so we made both! We always make lasagne, the kind with béchamel sauce. Not pictured was apple crisp with vanilla ice cream and caramel swirls. Maybe I'll get a pic of the leftovers. We drank Italian Pinot Noir.

IMG_0275.jpg

IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg

IMG_0286.jpg

Edited by ambra (log)
  • Like 16
  • Delicious 2

2 hours ago, ambra said:

We drank Italian Pinot Noir.

I quite like Pinto Nero!

After all those pretty, picturesque meals, lemme see if I can gross anyone out...

182094726_Donabericewithsalmonandhalibut11-27.thumb.jpeg.8773382fe872bdf791f3381be61ff9f6.jpeg

The donabe was feeling left out, what with the new rice cooker. But it cooks rice in a quite different style - as pictured - and you may even end up with a little socarrat, which I'm sure is called something fancy in Japanese. So - Japanese short-grain, cooked in dashi, sake, soy and sesame oil, with ginger, scallions and soaked hijiki. The rice cooks in the donabe for around 13-15 minutes, after which it rests for 20, then gets "fluffed."  I had salted the wild salmon and halibut pieces (via the freezer, via Great-Alaska, as I really am trying to work through the freezer) a couple of hours in advance, and placed them atop the cooked rice before its resting period. No more heat added (but fresh herbs were) - they were cooked very nicely this way.

Alongside - avert your eyes now!

647526329_Cucumbersaladavotomsalad11-27.thumb.jpeg.f97d75f7025e14ae7bfc3c63fef023f2.jpeg

Cucumber salad. Avocado tomato thing. Both seasoned in a Japanese sorta way.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Huevos rancheros. Home made tortilla, salsa of roasted fresh chilies and some bell peppers, some chipotle, along with garlic and a few spices. Home made tortillas. Didn't fell like fried eggs (I rarely do), so we had it with boiled ones (though some got a bit overcooked... still soft, but not runny). 

We ate the leftovers the next day, this time with the soft eggs boiled in the salsa and beans shakshuka style.

PXL_20201118_195627021.jpg

• Like 13

~ Shai N.

24 minutes ago, dcarch said:

Pardoned the turkey, made duck (skinless) with pineapple sauce for Thanksgiving.

dcarch

1225457916_Thanksgivingduck2020.thumb.JPG.2d3abcdddd48981ed7e31bc07e464268.JPG

I enjoy duck very much. Curious about "skinless" -saved skin to crisp another time or? The pineapple looks like it has grill or char time and was fresh.  This time of year do you  know where the asparagus was coming from? It was in the grocery stores but I assumed Latin America.  

58 minutes ago, heidih said:

I enjoy duck very much. Curious about "skinless" -saved skin to crisp another time or? The pineapple looks like it has grill or char time and was fresh.  This time of year do you  know where the asparagus was coming from? It was in the grocery stores but I assumed Latin America.  

Good questions.

The duck skin was removed so that the duck can be marinated (48 hours) better. Also, duck fat was removed.

The duck was wrapped in foil completely and "air sous vide'd" in the oven at 150F for 10 hours. 

Duck skin was baked to perfect crispiness and enjoyed Peking duck style.

Not sure where the asparagus came from. They were thick and tender. I when back and bought some more.

dcarch

• Like 3

Dinner was made from two items from TJ's 

CR1.thumb.jpg.e7991e240d7df5b4b9345aa2259cf0a7.jpg

I love ' blister wrapped " ravioli / tortellini.   this is a new flavor fromTJ's , as far as I recall.  

I don't linger to figure it out.  most of their filled pasta is veg . or veg + cheese.   they do have a very nice meat bolognese version

this veg pack is new to me.   I ve decided I like my Fz carrots julienned rather than cubed.  I didn't notice that this veg pack 

was seasoned ;  butter and seasonings .   I would have gotten plain  re sodium levels.  but :

CR2.thumb.jpg.8162f44ac5082999ed9f312f730e523e.jpg

the veg are coated w the seasoning and loose , wo you can use what you want , and the rest end up close to being the same

for a future dinner .  smart merchandizing and packing..

finished :

CR3.thumb.jpg.3f1df73ca0846174a366189cca8906e9.jpg

the ravioli were cooked in a saucier in a CkStock , a Tbs from Minors , Fz.   veg added near the end so both were done more or less at the same time.

forgot some green onion garnish.

this was very very good.   I put 1/2 in a bowl , rather than eating the whole thing out of the saucier , my ususal

practice.    I though Id make this two dinners .  it was so much better than Chef B.O.Dee ate the full portion(s)

the end product was not too salty , so these are keepers for me.

I enjoyed them.

house white table wine , from TJ's  :   75% Maricool Muscadet , 25 % TJ's costal chardonnay 

approx.  delicious it was 

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 1

This looks like a mess, but it was good.  Open face hot turkey sandwiches with TG leftovers on the side

thumbnail_IMG_0200.jpg.caee78d970347328e166edde06bcb99f.jpg

Needed a TG food break so I whizzed up some cornflakes with shredded parm and dredged halibut cheeks and fried.  Spicy marinara on top.

thumbnail_IMG_0202.jpg.0be2e3e6626ba973ce8d30486a819a7d.jpg

Last night the last of the turkey :( in sandwiches

thumbnail_IMG_0204.jpg.7a6099c9b6f6da41ec7233bbfb5d8008.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

19 minutes ago, Shelby said:

This looks like a mess, but it was good.  Open face hot turkey sandwiches with TG leftovers on the side

thumbnail_IMG_0200.jpg.caee78d970347328e166edde06bcb99f.jpg

I would happily clean that mess up any day of the week!  Sometimes the messiest of foods are the tastiest (there seems to be a subconscious correlation between getting messy and enjoying food).  And from the looks of those schmears at the bottom, that gravy is finger lickin good! :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2