• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

206794243_Zaatarcrisps11-24.thumb.jpeg.88b013ef9c40cc60b772942ff00f9a3c.jpeg

Za'atar pita crisps were the snack, with aperitvo, before dinner.

1653493271_Casareccewithsausage11-24.jpeg.c2bc7716a07647be3667b4c94a6cd409.jpeg

Gemelli "Faella" with tomato sauce and hot/sweet Italian sausages.  Peas (frozen) and carrots (fresh), glazed together, on the side.

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I'm stuck in another food rut.  Hopefully I'll rectify that tomorrow and I won't screw up Thanksgiving dinner lol.

More sandwiches

thumbnail_IMG_0171-1.jpg.38510894c5386c805de5db185728c405.jpg

More pizza

thumbnail_IMG_0174-1.jpg.f95c5f125bfbca2ab1f0d41f10ba3ee1.jpg

Pork belly, drunken noodles and bok choy

thumbnail_IMG_0178.jpg.15adef59604422dbd60e3da8ec4ffbc3.jpg

• Like 17

2 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I'm stuck in another food rut.  

Wow! I’d be happy to be stuck in that rut!  

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Margaret Pilgrim - mmmm, onion soup.  My very favorite soup!  Looks so good.

@patti– I’m so glad to hear that your knees were nothing serious! 

@Shelby – I’d give a LOT to have one of your big sandwiches sitting in front of me right now. 

Last night, I mixed the miso sauce (white miso, sake, sugar, Dijon) to brush on the salmon and advised on timing and Mr. Kim did the actual cooking:

IMG_4097.jpg.ab021e4ff668dd47d1ccf34138d988a4.jpg

Broccoli with lemon pepper, buttered noodles, and the salmon.  It was very, very good.  And very satisfying. 

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

17 hours ago, Toliver said:

Yep. During college I worked at a Hickory Farms store in a nearby mall. I learned quite bit about white & orange cheeses working there.

Still don't understand how people can eat blue cheese (IT'S MOLD, PEOPLE! xD ).

I was just given 2 one-lb chunks of cheese, one yellow cheddar and one white cheddar - by our local Samaritan House. No, we are not homeless or needing food bank,  but the cases of cheese had a little mold, so cannot be cooked and fed to people who frequent their soup kitchen! The whole lot was to be trashed, but kitchen staff took them home, portioned and wrapped for their own use any friends who were interested for curb side pick up. Manitoba is in Covid -19 Code Red.

It's the law, apparently, that soup kitchens cannot use any cheese, food with any mold. I can understand about other food items, but cheese? Happy to report it wasn't blue cheese!
I used some for brunch omelet, and will be making some kind of meatloaf with a big chunk tonight.

• Like 11

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Hubby had a GI procedure yesterday, so easily digestible and mild food was required. I had chicken congee made for his release at noon, and he was like a hungry bear after fasting for a day and night!

Supper was pan-seared cornstarch-dusted and Old Bay seasoned pickerel, lemon dill sauce, toasted tater chunks, and peas.

1330459466_PansearedPickerelTaters2637.jpg.9b5b734792e2531a123f8836f692f30c.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

@Kim Shook: I'd say you've got a real winner in Mr. Kim. My hubby can not cook at all, other than maybe throw in a frozen pizza or TV dinner into the oven, or open a tin of soup or salmon and toast.
Thank goodness we have one son living close by and good friends.

Best wishes to both you and @patti

And a Happy and Safe American Thanksgiving to all!

Edited by Dejah (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

3 hours ago, Dejah said:

I was just given 2 one-lb chunks of cheese, one yellow cheddar and one white cheddar - by our local Samaritan House. No, we are not homeless or needing food bank,  but the cases of cheese had a little mold, so cannot be cooked and fed to people who frequent their soup kitchen! The whole lot was to be trashed, but kitchen staff took them home, portioned and wrapped for their own use any friends who were interested for curb side pick up. Manitoba is in Covid -19 Code Red.

It's the law, apparently, that soup kitchens cannot use any cheese, food with any mold. I can understand about other food items, but cheese? Happy to report it wasn't blue cheese!
I used some for brunch omelet, and will be making some kind of meatloaf with a big chunk tonight.

As you already know, mold on a hard cheese can be cut/sliced off and the rest of the cheese should be okay to consume. 

However, mold on a soft cheese means the cheese can't be saved and it all needs to be thrown out. Sad but safe! 

• Thanks 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Grill pan tuna, butternut squash risotto, snow peas. The risotto recipe called for a little bit of miso in the roasted squash puree, which added a nice savory flavor.

BEAC23F5-11DB-4849-BC90-0529AF694E11.jpeg

• Like 11

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

IMG_3584.jpg.82795d1a3b25c5f662a79aa7fa3176e4.jpg

Today's dinner — a riff on this easy BA recipe for socca with chickpea and fennel, since I had cooked RG chickpeas that needed to be used.

Didn't have kale, which led me to take greater liberties — swapped it out for a bit of escarole and browned onion in the chickpea salad, and couldn't resist throwing in some smoked paprika. I had some romanesco that I'd kind of neglected, so I salvaged what I had and roasted it fairly dark. Served the two together with the sauce on top. Garnished with sesame seeds and a sprinkling of urfa.

Terrible photo, I know, but at least I actually remembered to take one!

Edited by dtremit (log)
  • Like 9

My husband got a LOT of king fish yesterday, I needed to cook it. So I cooked it two ways, one dipped in extra virgin olive oil, then panko with dry oregano and pan fried, then, second way, I chopped the meat roughly added grated parmigiano, one egg, scallions, parsley and a little panko, tiny bit of water, made flat fish balls, dusted with flour, pan fried and added chilies, more scallions and parsley and a little bit of mutti tomato polpa and cooked briefly. It was really nice, I will make it again. Then my husband made some smoked short ribs. Some zucchini and steamed rice. 

9E2E1B87-5FCB-4A1B-BCA4-6D33ABD5B845.jpeg

BDA844A4-D3E7-442F-AA70-C68B13B0BA5F.jpeg

B7B4EA06-A0A0-4605-822E-722BD0165BF0.jpeg

• Like 15

11 minutes ago, KennethT said:

@FranciI've never had king fish. What is it like?

The first time I cooked it, I was expecting something closer to spanish mackerel, in reality it is pretty mild and not too fatty, so it is easy to overcook it. 

• Thanks 1

Steamed oyster sauce seasoned chicken with Chinese mushrooms and Chinese sausage. There was quite a bit of juice in the bowl, and it was so good with jasmine rice. I kept going back to the rice pot, scrape up a spoonful of rice and scoop up just enough juice for a good mouthful. 

922235836_SteamedChickenMushrooms2648.jpg.d2096aa729f6e5f1b15691ffb10fd82c.jpg

Blanched baby gai lan, then a quick swirl in the hot wok with oil. Topped with a pile of ginger, chopped garlic, and a drizzle of sesame oil. I can make a meal just with this vegetable!

219318635_BabyGailan2645.jpg.390e012e2fa2855c08526b546f14793d.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 4

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Was in need of a hug tonight. So stew (freezer find) and mash it was. 

20201126_195153.thumb.jpg.0e5a3c30b21a4c176386eb0cd9df53af.jpg

My husband has taken a new job. So you will see alot of freezer meals for the next six weeks. I imagine if I completely ban shopping I will get them half empty 😬🤦‍♀️

I do hate change so very very much. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, KennethT said:

@FranciI've never had king fish. What is it like?

9 hours ago, Franci said:

The first time I cooked it, I was expecting something closer to spanish mackerel, in reality it is pretty mild and not too fatty, so it is easy to overcook it. 

Interesting, as it is in the mackerel family.  You see these being offered at many Caribbean restaurants, and certainly the first place I ever saw one was off of a famous Jamaican food truck here in NYC. Fried. I think they smoke large ones.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 11/24/2020 at 12:59 PM, Kim Shook said:

The thing is I’m kinda starving and I can’t say a thing.  Not actually “hungry” you understand, it’s just that what I’m being given is not satisfying me.  I feel evil for saying that and would never, ever even hint at such a feeling.  So, I’m just venting to folks who will understand and will know that I’m actually being well taken care of (though he did speak of baked chicken with instant rice and cream of mushroom sauce the other night😳).  Here’s a few things that we’ve had:

@Kim Shook, I'm sorry that you are still hurting.   And I have to tell you, I love your posts when you share so many meals in one post.  

And it probably won't make you feel any better, but if I was out of commission we wouldn't be eating nearly as well as you are.  Poor Moe can boil water for tea.  And could probably make me toast, and possibly open a can of soup.  But that would be it.  His intentions would be good though. 

1768124890_PrimeRibDinnerwithYorkshirePuddingNovember25th20203.thumb.jpg.8073198b454dbe42290f6a1134f0250c.jpg

Last night's dinner. 

17100219_PrimeRibDinnerwithYorkshirePuddingNovember25th20201.thumb.jpg.6eb7d7ab9f23f3ee2eeb4519843f1f2c.jpg

Prime Rib and Yorkshire Pudding. 

• Like 14
  • Delicious 5