• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

4 hours ago, weinoo said:

You know, it's amazing what you can find in some cookbooks when you're looking for another recipe and happen to see something interesting.

IMG_2829.jpeg.d2c46bd394970bb906513b1718808635.jpeg

Of course, the chef/author probably has no idea how to cook proteins properly. Especially fish.

Oh - wait...

IMG_2830.thumb.jpeg.4621600cdefd02826ab46e92e78ac439.jpeg

Who are you kidding, you have been looking for that ever since we started feuding over your pale scallops! 😆

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

Tom yum?  Isn't there usually a red tinge coming from the nam prik pao? It almost looks like a tom kha, with coconut milk...

Technically, it is tom yum goong nam khon (ต้มยำกุ้งน้ำข้น)

I scaled down the chili component as heat does not agree with me, sadly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TicTac said:

I scaled down the chili component as heat does not agree with me, sadly.

Sometimes we forget that the cuisines we think of as chili spicy did not get chiles until brought over from the Americas. 

44 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Who are you kidding, you have been looking for that ever since we started feuding over your pale scallops! 😆

You mean correctly cooked, on one side, as Eric does. And as much seafood is.

Of course, if one wants to treat a delicate scallop as a raw hunk of steak, be my guest. Just hold the cooking lessons for your kids.

Edited by weinoo (log)

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

3 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Of course, if one wants to treat a delicate scallop as a raw hunk of steak, be my guest. Just hold the cooking lessons for your kids.

At some point, they'll be rolling their eyes at you, as I have been since you mentioned my incorrect cooking of a scallop.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

So long without braising some meat! Living in a hot climate is cool but sometimes you stop eating some things because too hot. It’s a little windy out so I called it a cool day 😁The kids were happy with short ribs. Too bad I didn’t have polenta in the house. Also some beets and a little leftover rice. 

F0C963B9-129E-467E-91B4-9F81DADABAB6.jpeg

5F59FD92-4FBC-4CC5-BCA0-B7F9C3926B33.jpeg

DA736C27-C296-4747-A23E-AC0B7D39F89A.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

To say nothing of the air conditioning bill, @Franci!! My parents (they should RIP) lived in Delray Beach for many years. But 5 miles in, not quite to the turnpike. God, it was hot there...at least you get some ocean breezes.

275670980_Spaghettiwithfreshtuna11-19(1).thumb.jpeg.37bfa97ca8957c1545dcc95519e184ce.jpeg 

Spaghetti all’Eoliana.  Fresh tuna barely cooked all the way through, tomato (canned and fresh cherry), capers, olives, garlic, parsley. This was really good, with those salty, sweet and pungent flavors. 

277507722_Roman-styleendive11-19.thumb.jpeg.06c22813fbd256573bfd2834d3f34959.jpeg

An adaptation of the classic Puntarelle all Romana. In addition to being a pain in the ass to prep, puntarelle is not always that easy to find (oh, to be in a Roman market again one day, where it's sold prepped). Instead, Belgian endive subbed. It's not exactly the same, but it's nice and juicy and a little bitter.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1
  • Confused 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

275670980_Spaghettiwithfreshtuna11-19(1).thumb.jpeg.37bfa97ca8957c1545dcc95519e184ce.jpeg 

Spaghetti all’Eoliana.  Fresh tuna barely cooked all the way through...

Jeez, man, you COOKED tuna?    Haven't you learned anything on eG?     For $15 you could have just opened a jar of Ortiz.    Of course, it would have created an entirely different plate.

• Haha 2

eGullet member #80.

13 hours ago, weinoo said:

I will once again disagree with you and apparently Eric as well.

If I have a large scallop, I can achieve a fantastic crust, on BOTH sides - thus creating more flavor - while still maintaining a rare interior.  It all comes back to the pan's heat.  If I want to enjoy a scallop raw to appreciate its truest form, then it will not see the inside of a pan. 

I can appreciate your suggested technique for things like fish, where you only want to cook it skin side down and not impact the texture of the fish.   But a scallop is the same all the way around.

Anyways, enough time wasted lambasting you.  Clearly you know it all, so lessons will evidently not be necessary - I will return your deposit.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, TicTac said:

I will once again disagree with you and apparently Eric as well.

If I have a large scallop, I can achieve a fantastic crust, on BOTH sides - thus creating more flavor - while still maintaining a rare interior.  It all comes back to the pan's heat.  If I want to enjoy a scallop raw to appreciate its truest form, then it will not see the inside of a pan. 

I can appreciate your suggested technique for things like fish, where you only want to cook it skin side down and not impact the texture of the fish.   But a scallop is the same all the way around.

Anyways, enough time wasted lambasting you.  Clearly you know it all, so lessons will evidently not be necessary - I will return your deposit.

Wouldn't it be boring if we all cooked alike, ate alike, had nothing diverse to contribute to eG?

• Like 5

eGullet member #80.

39 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Jeez, man, you COOKED tuna?    Haven't you learned anything on eG?     For $15 you could have just opened a jar of Ortiz.    Of course, it would have created an entirely different plate.

Yeah - they do that in Sicily!

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

On 11/11/2020 at 6:19 PM, liuzhou said:

Yes.

I also failed to note that the ribs are chopped into bite sized pieces to facilitate chopstick use. No long full ribs are served here!

Much to my surprise, I found these rib tips at my usual grocery store. Had never noticed them before now.

1E0A79CA-E090-46CF-8D5C-5C8060493094.thumb.jpeg.b0d0f0e0b1af70ae88a4e156c8572591.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Yeah - they do that in Sicily!

Interestingly, I enjoyed a spectacular tuna sauced spaghetti at a Portsmouth, NH bistro. = barely seared tuna chunks in a very spicy tomato sauce.   The contrasting sear and super tender "raw" interior could not be duplicated with canned or confit tuna.  

eGullet member #80.

3 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

@liamsaunt: you are eating turkey a week before Thanksgiving? 

Why not?  Meatballs vs. roast turkey are completely different flavors.  Besides, I am all about the vegetables on Thanksgiving, and usually only have one bite of turkey 😀

• Like 4

Baked enchiladas. Filling is made with spinach, onion, feta and mozzarella, grilled corn, egg, spices (coriander, cumin, oregano), chilies. Wrapped in corn tortillas. Sauce is a chipotle Mornay, made with dried chipotle, dried mild chilies, milk, cheeses, spices. Topping is sour cream mixed with the spiced spinach component of the filling (cooked spinach, cilantro, fresh oregano, garlic, toasted coriander, cumin, chili) and lime. Rice flavored with a salsa of roasted chilies I had in the freezer.

The salad is black beans, grilled corn, onion, tomatoes, avocado. Sauced with coconut cream, lime juice and zest, chilies, sugar, cilantro, garlic.

PXL_20201111_195049883.thumb.jpg.6c32596c28dba8cb7c1b1fecaa734304.jpgPXL_20201111_193436480.thumb.jpg.09ce7dd48e11f2355f9f07a323a17ef9.jpgPXL_20201111_195154876.thumb.jpg.23400f6916ec89d55aaeede2a2057302.jpg

• Like 10

~ Shai N.

@shain As I get older I have pared down my busyness of food combinations  to concentrate on elemental flavors  BUT you continue to inspire experimentation with your multilayered pairings. Always look forward to your ideas.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, heidih said:

@shain As I get older I have pared down my busyness of food combinations  to concentrate on elemental flavors  BUT you continue to inspire experimentation with your multilayered pairings. Always look forward to your ideas.

As I get older i have pared down my busyness of food combinations because I've become too lazy to prep more than the essentials.  

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

27 minutes ago, heidih said:

Thanks so much!

I'll admit that I also most often prefer to focus on a single dish. One could notice that most of my posts are of single dishes, often served with a vegetable salad, pickles, fresh cheese or the like. In this case, I just really wanted to make both dishes, even though I'd normally be happy to have each on it's own.

~ Shai N.