• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

11 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Full disclosure, that was one of my kids tacos (they love cheddar on their tacos)!  I had some queso fresco in the freezer but did not have the foresight to take it out in time.

Would you sear a rib eye, or any steak for that matter, on one side and just flip it over for a second or two to achieve a lovely dull grey exterior?  If so, trek on wayward soldier!

If you are cooking a protein, then cook it properly.  Yes, fullest potential when cooked would suggest a crust on the exterior.  Unless you enjoy dull proteins.   The diner can absolutely request it cooked to their level of 'done'ness'.  The chef just has to have the chops to execute it accordingly.   Consider

In my experience, seafood and red meats have different characteristics that allow, demand, separate thinking.    Consider salmon a lunilateral, definitely not seared on both sides, while certainly displaying its fullest potential.    

We, as well as our product, vary from one end of the curve to the other.    There is certainly no agreement among chefs about what is optimum for most products and specific dishes.

eGullet member #80.

38 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

There is certainly no agreement among chefs about what is optimum for most products and specific dishes.

LOL True...and few nightmares worse for a culinary student than having instructors with sharply opposed and vigorously held opinions, during the same semester...

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

6 hours ago, heidih said:

You did lose me there - but we cook and eat to our own tastes.  Judgement just highlights our own ridiculousness ;)

I wish I could remember the author...a Mexican food personality making a go in the US had an interview with her Mexican fans:  "Please tell them that our cheese is white."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Polenta, not overly rich, some milk, Parmesan and a little butter, fresh thyme and nutmeg. Mixed mushrooms pan fried in butter, a little reduced wine, a bit of garlic, thyme, plenty of pepper. More parmesan and a soft egg. Syrah for a drink. Salad, some fresh cheeses and pickles.

PXL_20201110_194558610 (1).jpg

• Like 13

~ Shai N.

12 hours ago, TicTac said:

If you are cooking a protein, then cook it properly.  Yes, fullest potential when cooked would suggest a crust on the exterior.  Unless you enjoy dull proteins.   The diner can absolutely request it cooked to their level of 'done'ness'.  The chef just has to have the chops to execute it accordingly.

When I need some cooking lessons, I'll give you a call.

Don't stand by the phone.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@weinoo 

I don't believe M.Fellon can cook at all .

re : the FlameWar here 

[ed.: remember those ?  on dial-up ? ]

ive never understood the searing of fresh tuna.

even w a bit of mallard on the sear .  looks interesting on the plate

when sliced.   but if you taste the cooked bits by themselves :

they taste like " TunaFish "   not a bad taste , but you can get that from a can

and expensive can from Spain maybe .....

and the Sashimi bits  might have a different texture and make up for it ....

but I think searing tuna  for visual effect , dumb downs the taste of the fresh raw tuna.

and its a delicacy you should accept at its most delicate point.

individual tastes vary , but some tastes just miss the point.

FlameOut.

• Like 3

a 2+ inch thick Bryan Flannery boneless rib eye steak. Salted in the morning and reverse seared in a 275 overn to 115 degrees (F)about 40 min and cooked to get a crust on super hot cast iron. organic sweet potatoes.

cru Beaujolais

IMG_3020.JPG

IMG_3021.JPG

IMG_3022.JPG

• Like 18
  • Delicious 4

11 hours ago, Ann_T said:

Me too.  Especially on hard shell tacos. 

New York Strip Loin roast.
Presalted yesterday and roasted tonight on high heat. Mashed potatoes, Yorkshire Puddings and peas.

I will confess that on hard shell tacos, I throw authenticity to the wind!

Shredded lettuce, orange cheese, chunky store bought salsa...you name it! :laugh:

Almost anything tastes good in a crunchy warm taco shell.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@weinoo 

I don't believe M.Fellon can cook at all .

re : the FlameWar here 

[ed.: remember those ?  on dial-up ? ]

ive never understood the searing of fresh tuna.

even w a bit of mallard on the sear .  looks interesting on the plate

when sliced.   but if you taste the cooked bits by themselves :

they taste like " TunaFish "   not a bad taste , but you can get that from a can

and expensive can from Spain maybe .....

and the Sashimi bits  might have a different texture and make up for it ....

but I think searing tuna  for visual effect , dumb downs the taste of the fresh raw tuna.

and its a delicacy you should accept at its most delicate point.

individual tastes vary , but some tastes just miss the point.

FlameOut.

Oh rotuts, you have danced near a commonly shared nerve here!

/flameon

Cooking tuna, is IMO, the worst thing you can do to that lovely protein. 

If you want cooked tuna, open a can packed in olive oil (preferably from Italy or Spain).

/off

;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One joy of eG is the size of and variety among our posters.    How in discussing one product we can be made aware of infinite ways to handle it, eliciting reactions from "Why didn't I think of that?" to "Bleehk!", each of these valid.     Our professional gurus are as varied as we are and are admired or disdained here, as one might expect.    If you travel, whether you dine high on the hog, peasant fare or urban street food, you soon learn that every rule is broken somewhere, usually for the better.   On eG, we read and we learn from each other, sometimes trucs that help with our cooking and enjoyment of food, but always that we have different tastes and expectations.    One man's absolute is another's ticket for experimentation.    Not one of us is right or wrong.

While I'm on the soapbox, hard shell tacos are an abomination.   

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

2 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

While I'm on the soapbox, hard shell tacos are an abomination.   

Those cardboard things out of the cardboard box! Good tortillas freshly fried and including melted cheese -I can enjoy. But i  have the luxury of many choices. Spoiled brat here ;) Why my first cat was named Fratz (brat in my dialect)

• Like 2

21 hours ago, TicTac said:

If you are cooking a protein, then cook it properly.  Yes, fullest potential when cooked would suggest a crust on the exterior.  Unless you enjoy dull proteins.   

You know, it's amazing what you can find in some cookbooks when you're looking for another recipe and happen to see something interesting.

IMG_2829.jpeg.d2c46bd394970bb906513b1718808635.jpeg

Of course, the chef/author probably has no idea how to cook proteins properly. Especially fish.

Oh - wait...

IMG_2830.thumb.jpeg.4621600cdefd02826ab46e92e78ac439.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?