• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

Some meatballs and sausage came out of the freezer.

Made a tomato sauce based on them, with onions and a little fresh garlic (Americans use way more garlic than they might in Italy when making tomato sauces). Too much? Not necessarily, but I try to respect the culture.

. (Turn your head away, @Franci - I know pasta and meatballs, especially tossed in the sauce, is heresy!).

332546717_Fusilliwmeatballsandsausage11-13.thumb.jpeg.ba317122ac856a278cd182acee8aebe6.jpeg

Fusilli with sausage and meatballs and parmesan. Since I was going all out Italian-American - De Cecco!

It looks good! It’s not true Italians never eat pasta with meatballs...In puglia we eat orecchiette, meatballs and braciole. Or baked pasta with tiny meatballs. I wouldn’t have used fusilli but that’s a different story 😁

• Like 5

Tuna casserole with colored Rotini, peas, celery and panko topping.  Served with steamed cauliflower.  Also made a whole wheat bread (2/3 white, 1/3 whole wheat flour).  The slice has been toasted.

tuna-casserole2.jpg.79d75ed01b8bfbbf35b9afa31fd695cd.jpg

tuna-casserole-plated2.jpg.fc8a66c67665a195aa384bd51f0d04b3.jpg

wheat-bread.jpg.454c5641017b3f4cd44e68e7ee3ac28e.jpg

wheat-bread-slice.jpg.28856c96bc45c3865461d4cac21c3478.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Cheese lasagne with spinach. Barilla no boil pasta...I was a little short on sauce, forgot how much more you need for these, some of the edges weren’t covered and didn’t soften.

DB290CF4-7DFD-49FB-ADFB-8BABA06CE2FB.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

King crab legs, snow crab claws with roasted French green beans and melting baby potatoes. Omg I am stuffed. Early wedding anniversary dinner (our anniversary is on Monday but I never know how long of a day my husband may have and Miss Maisey has xrays at the vet that day). 

I also bought a bunch of charcuterie which went untouched so that will be lunch during football tomorrow (Cal’s first game is at noon EST). 

• Like 8

Sounds like a truly celebratory feast. I do drool at the images of live king crab in tanks at our Chinese restaurants - only had from frozen. Love roasted green beans (good off a grill as well).  Best wishes for whatever your pup's issue is. Cal?

• Like 1

A couple of quick suppers:
Chicken Pot Pie made with leftover rotisserie chicken from Safeway, puff pastry, taters, and frozen mixed vegetables

1960218581_ChickenPotPie2587.thumb.jpg.cf344157654f35a584d6541fed04630e.jpg

Always get a craving for bitter melon and ho fun. Tossed in some beef and black bean garlic sauce, and craving is satisfied!

511284870_BlackBeanGarlicHoFunBeef2590.thumb.jpg.6b850072e2dc19820d8e7d248f084488.jpg

Temperature was +4C and sunny for the last 2 days, so we worked like busy beavers (Canadian, eh?). Great to have quick meals on the menu!
                                                                                   And so, it's starting to look a bit like Christmas, like no other we've ever seen!

1053513549_Xmaslights4379.jpg.05b879e2c66cfa94d501f1dce723871a.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

A relatively fast dinner while prepping lunch for tomorrow....

Linguine with dried porcini sauce. And a nice wine to go with...

The shrimp did not get lost? just curious. Porcini nice but not subtle.

3 hours ago, heidih said:

Sounds like a truly celebratory feast. I do drool at the images of live king crab in tanks at our Chinese restaurants - only had from frozen. Love roasted green beans (good off a grill as well).  Best wishes for whatever your pup's issue is. Cal?

Miss Maisey has a hacking cough. It’s upsetting; she had emergency stomach surgery from over eating leaves in the past (to the tune of 12k) but we watch her like hawks so who knows? She loves baby cucumbers, shelled edamame, zucchini, baby corn and sugar snap peas. 

Cal is U of Cal Berkeley, where my husband was in the marching band and graduated with a chem degree. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

Leftovers followed by a goodly glass of Whistlepig Single Barrel, Barrel Strength.  First glass of the season.  To deaden the biting cold.  Not to mention the pain in my back and knee.

No matter, I still can't get my Rubik's cube box open.  How many ways can one apply pressure to a six sided solid?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

11 hours ago, BeeZee said:

short on sauce

I use these all the time and I really like them but I found out that they do a lot better if you use a thinner sauce. If I have a thick sauce I just add a little water. Then I cover it and leave it  for a few hours (up to 24 hours) in the refrigerator.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Leftovers followed by a goodly glass of Whistlepig Single Barrel, Barrel Strength.  First glass of the season.  To deaden the biting cold.  Not to mention the pain in my back and knee.

No matter, I still can't get my Rubik's cube box open.  How many ways can one apply pressure to a six sided solid?

It's not how much pressure you apply, it's which blunt object you choose with which to administer that pressure.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

@Shelby 

foods that were common Before , 

can be very special Now.

thumbnail_IMG_0146.jpg.b21e28afff39806a4456bb6dc8e1b49f.jpg.3fa64392a47e08212db1e830e710c830.jpg

as soon as I get ( several ) vaccinations

the above is going to be very high on my list.

Ill buy alll the ingredients , and make the PS.

Ill have enough for 4 - 5 days.

and have the above every day  until supplies exhausted.

of course , w Mortadella as the Star.

• Like 7

19 hours ago, Franci said:

It looks good! It’s not true Italians never eat pasta with meatballs...In puglia we eat orecchiette, meatballs and braciole. Or baked pasta with tiny meatballs. I wouldn’t have used fusilli but that’s a different story 😁

Very happy to finally hear someone else say this besides me!!! ❤️❤️ I don't like all those lists of "rules" that get published every few months. There are many that are not true.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

12 hours ago, BeeZee said:

Cheese lasagne with spinach. Barilla no boil pasta...I was a little short on sauce, forgot how much more you need for these, some of the edges weren’t covered and didn’t soften.

DB290CF4-7DFD-49FB-ADFB-8BABA06CE2FB.jpeg

I love the no boil pasta.

I've found that you can soak them for 15 minutes and they soften up great with a normal amount of sauce.

So why use 'no boil' ? I like their thinness and lack of that stupid wavy edge

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

thanks @Tropicalseniorand @gfweb, next time I’ll incorporate your tips. I think my sauce was too thick for this application, and last time I made lasagne I think I had used more vegetables in the layers, which likely added needed moisture, also. On the plus side, easy to cut neat squares that held together.

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

8 hours ago, heidih said:

The shrimp did not get lost? just curious. Porcini nice but not subtle.

The porcini sauce had a ton of flavor - but the shrimp were really there as a lean protein.  I think it would have gone better if I had used some duck confit meat I have in the refrigerator, but we're having duck birria (for the first time) for lunch today so we figured we'd try to be healthier and go with shrimp which are always in the freezer.