• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

20 minutes ago, heidih said:

You made your snarky point boys- shutting up now,

sorry - I never meant to come off as snarky.  And I definitely didn't mean to insult or want you to be quiet - we are all entitled to our opinions here and there is nothing wrong with yours.

My parents made this back in the late 60's.  I was so jealous that they had that set  of cookbooks and could fix something that tasted like that!  A few years later I was able to buy my own set of the books and sauerbraten was the first thing I cooked from the book of German cooking .  I used to get so excited when a new book came.  But towards the end I had the option of getting the last five books all at the same time.  I said "yes" and I still remember the day they arrived.  

Right now I can look across the room and see the books on the shelf.  They are on one end and all the spiral bound recipe books are on the other end.  And, how silly is this?  I still can't resits buying any of the series I run across at used book sales, or thrift shops.   

• Like 5

@Kim ShookBeautiful short ribs. The IP is so amazing. I find if I heat the IP up on SEAR function for a few minutes, the meat  browns better.
@CaptainSunday Roast Can I just have the crackling?😋
ALL the meals are terrific.

Beautiful day here on the prairies with temps around +18C!  Should have been BBQing. but for got to put out steaks or whatever.
But I still had a small piece of tenderloin left from yesterday,so it was Beef and Bok Choy along with Spicy Tofu ( Ma Po Tofu) with ground pork.

266115389_BeefBakChoy2528.jpg.312279d53b155cc7bd177f630a878410.jpg

1315505078_SpicyTofuGroundPork2530.jpg.dc9d97edac0569c7ffa2431752b2f337.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

16 hours ago, weinoo said:

This is a fish we don't see too much of.  Is yours caught locally, and then available through retail?

We have a commercial fisherman who comes down from one of the big lakes in Manitoba, not that far from us - Lake Winnipeg.  he comes 2 times a year. Now, we can also get the fillets at Sobeys, same price but slightly bigger fillets. I have been buying from Henry for several years, a loyal customer. This trip, I asked him back in October to save me 8 whole pickerel, scaled and gutted but with head and tail intact. They look beautiful and I am waiting for the right day to cook one up.
@gfweb: Henry does a great job of filleting the fish, so we seldom find a bone. To cook whole, it's not an issue with bones if you take off chunks properly.

Winnipeg Goldeyes are horrible with bones, but I can't resist them and that smokiness!

• Like 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

3 hours ago, Dejah said:

To cook whole, it's not an issue with bones if you take off chunks properly.

Winnipeg Goldeyes are horrible with bones, but I can't resist them and that smokiness!

The beauty of cooking whole  Look forward to any images

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dejah said:

We have a commercial fisherman who comes down from one of the big lakes in Manitoba, not that far from us - Lake Winnipeg.  he comes 2 times a year. Now, we can also get the fillets at Sobeys, same price but slightly bigger fillets. I have been buying from Henry for several years, a loyal customer. This trip, I asked him back in October to save me 8 whole pickerel, scaled and gutted but with head and tail intact. They look beautiful and I am waiting for the right day to cook one up.
@gfweb: Henry does a great job of filleting the fish, so we seldom find a bone. To cook whole, it's not an issue with bones if you take off chunks properly.

Yeah - I'm sure when cooked whole or smoked whole, they're like whitefish chubs from an appetizing store (i.e. lots of bones in those too). They're easy enough to eat without getting any bones.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

21 hours ago, heidih said:

Looks good to me. I like your use of fish overall as a protein in places not always considered. I think that mindset might get folks off factory chicken and onto sustainble fish?

As others have said I think cost would be the hugest hurdle to overcome. I do know that in Wellfleet the fishing crews started to sell direct from the dock, and if you went there the cost was much less than buying it in the market, but you would have to live close to a dock.

Last night, miso glazed salmon in miso broth with noodles, tatsoi, shiitake mushrooms, crispy shallots, scallions, cilantro, and what was supposed to be a jammy egg but I overcooked it.

822097241_misosalmon2.thumb.jpg.8ef7f7e38cea39925f0da092ff5db92a.jpg

• Like 17
  • Delicious 2

On 11/4/2020 at 1:03 AM, Dante said:

Meatloaf with mashed potatoes and gravy

c

Exactly one of the things I have been craving...along with some cooked to death green beans.  Do you do care packages?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I'm almost ashamed to post a salmon pic after that beautiful ramen above by Liamsaunt.  Bravo! 

Panko crusted baked salmon teriyaki w braised broccoli and onion over jasmine. Sprinkle of ponzu.

TerSalm.thumb.jpg.9c3bb283470dfc78b27b0db2f4f2e7ea.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

That wasn't chicken

21 hours ago, suzilightning said:

Exactly one of the things I have been craving...along with some cooked to death green beans.  Do you do care packages?

heh, thank you!  The meatloaf also had shredded carrots, flaxseed, and mashed black beans in it, with hard boiled eggs in the centre. 

Grilled corn in red Thai curry sauce (coconut cream, curry paste, lime zest, makrut lime, coriander seeds, sugar, peanuts.

A Thai-Chinese take on Goong ob woonsen. Bean starch noodles with Shrimps. With ginger, roughly cut fried garlic, celery, anise, cinnamon, oyster sauce, soy sauce, chili, bay leaves, lime.

PXL_20201030_184249898.thumb.jpg.6a7d4d95474fc53707d145cd7ac68cf3.jpgPXL_20201030_184703411.thumb.jpg.57a461df6eebaef999c972e0d439cc9a.jpg

• Like 12

~ Shai N.

Pot roast, made in the IP, with potatoes, celery, onion and carrots.  Rye bread and chocolate cake (from a mix) with homemade non-dairy peanut butter-caramel ice cream.  The ice cream was supposed to be salted caramel, but I forgot to put in the salt.

pot-roast-3.jpg.c862ecb1a2eb9b779be0e6f3f55a83d2.jpg

rye8.jpg.c94cabfb3a82aa53ba07f71e8fc151e6.jpg

choc-cake.jpg.4e995975a442365a27636488bd389e90.jpg

Edited by mgaretz (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 3

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

22 hours ago, suzilightning said:

heh, thank you!  The meatloaf also had shredded carrots, flaxseed, and mashed black beans in it, with hard boiled eggs in the centre.