• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

@mgaretz – I love Kitchen Bouquet.  I never used it until @Marlene clued me in to the secret of her lovely, meaty looking sauces and her dark and delicious looking beef stroganoff! 

@gfweb – I love the prosciutto-wrapped halibut.  I did it years ago with cod and was so surprised at how good it was.  I need to bring that back!  And, as always, you do the most delectable looking sprouts!

@patti – I think those crumbs looked perfect just the way they were – the unevenness made them look substantial.  They looked buttery and crisp and wonderful.

Dinner – quite possibly my very favorite leftovers:

IMG_3874.jpg.63af9c5c62bf2acfeecea565d9629afc.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

@mgaretz – I love Kitchen Bouquet.  I never used it until @Marlene clued me in to the secret of her lovely, meaty looking sauces and her dark and delicious looking beef stroganoff! 

When you run out, pick up some caramel coloring instead.  Same thing and much, much less expensive!

• Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

17 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Thanks.  I owe it all to my secret weapon:  Caramel food coloring (aka Kitchen Bouquet).  That, and I finally figured out how to make a good cornstarch slurry.

I use Kitchen Bouquet also, makes the gravy both look and taste good.

• Like 2

Over in @Kim Shook's thread from earlier this year, I offered a few videos for pasta making, including the one by a youtube home cook called Helen.  I like to share her video with people new to making pasta, since some of her technique helped me make progress with my own noods.  One of my work associates in northern California saw the flour she recommends for egg pasta on sale in a little italian market and sent me some.  I followed her technique and recipe to satisfy my curiosity.. the dough was unusual and soft, since I'm used to working with very dry semolina pasta dough for my extruder.  I was expecting mushy noods, and instead, the results were fantastic - maybe it's the isolation talking, these were better than any I've had in a restaurant or store bought.  Just a quick simple toss with butter, garlic, and some veggies so the picture don't convey the chew and texture of the noods, an absolute success!  Sometime in near future, I really want to try comparing it against otc all purpose flour to see whether the flour or the technique made the difference.

egg pasta.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

Last night was our anniversary so we cooked together.  Mi esposo made a spicy Moroccan marinade for a butterflied boneless leg of lamb (actually half a leg, since there are just the 2 of us).  Plated with a few leftover potatoes, chimichurri sauce and some pomegranate seeds.  

He marinated 24 hours and the grill time was surprisingly fast...22 minutes brought the thickest part to 110 and after a 15 minute rest it was perfect.  Even the more well-done parts were great!  Nice char....and no flare-up!

MXN meats are not know for tenderness, but this was the best large cut we've had here in over 10 years! 

grilled leg.jpg

plated leg.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3

Buddha bowl.  Cauliflower rice mixed with spinach, topped with roasted sweet potatoes, avocado and crispy Indian spiced chickpeas with a roasted red pepper and tahini dressing.  It was healthy and used up a bunch of vegetables from my CSA, but I could not help but notice that my sister made herself a giant bacon, egg and cheese sandwich for breakfast this morning 🤣

1857198678_buddhabowl.thumb.jpg.d5eebe902356b2e68874699a480b7da6.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 3

An Ethiopian spread. Apparently, injera is very brittle when cold... So I couldn't go with the  traditional fashion of laying the various dishes over the injera. Still tasty.

Clockwise:

Injera (which I was given in a local restaurant a while back and kept frozen). 

Awaze - A spicy spread made of roasted dried chilies, berber spice mixture, tahini paste, ginger and lemon.

Tzfat cheese with nigella seeds.

Chopped veggies in olive oil (that was one seriously hot chili in there - this variety is a bit of a Russian roulette with heat levels).

Kik alicha - Yellow split peas. Those are with added stir fried okra and chooped peanuts. The flavoring includes onion, ginger, garlic, berber, toasted coriander, lemon, turmeric, cumin.

Buticha - Chickpeas flour cooked like polenta, chilled and crumbled. Mixed with cooked onions, tomato, green chili, ginger, garlic, berber, turmeric, cardamom, paprika, parsley.

Ethiopian style eggs - with lightly cooked tomatoes, chilies, onion, garlic, pepper, parsley and a bit of berber.

Atakilt Wat (Middle) - Cabbage, potato and carrots. Flavored with onion, garlic, lemon, a bit of sugar, cumin, turmeric, berber and hawaij spice.

Served with a much needed cold beer - it was quite spicy (mostly because of the chili in the salad), and we can usually handle quite a bit of heat. :P 

PXL_20201016_123252960.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 12

~ Shai N.

Some incredible meals here lately. We've had a hectic schedule so a lot less cooking and pictures lately. 

@Ann_T I too would like to know your process and ingredients for those stuffed ribs - they sound and look amazing!

Last night we had a get together for son and DIL's gender reveal party (don't worry, no forest fires were started in the process). Mr's M was in charge of the food but got behind, so I was tasked with the ground beef taco meat. As usual, I just started a witches brew of spices, including but not limited to: Salt, pepper, freshly ground chiltepin, curry powder, cinnamon, cardamom, a can of El Pato hot sauce, and a stick of butter for some creaminess.

It turned out better than it ought've, but sadly I forgot to get any pictures as we were caught up in the moment.

And the big news is that our first grandchild will be a boy, and they told us last night they're naming him after me! So - a good time was had by all.

• Like 12

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

26 minutes ago, shain said:

An Ethiopian spread. Apparently, injera is very brittle when cold... So I couldn't go with the  traditional fashion of laying the various dishes over the injera. Still tasty.

Beautiful assortment of dishes. Yes I find injera like corn and flour tortillas just from freezer seem to be glued together - you think the edge will separate but the middle is like concrete so they break I usually set the packet on counter and then gently run a rounded blade knife towards center to separate.  If not using all then back in the freezer. I detect little quality loss. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pastameshugana said:

Last night we had a get together for son and DIL's gender reveal party (don't worry, no forest fires were started in the process). Mr's M was in charge of the food but got behind, so I was tasked with the ground beef taco meat. As usual, I just started a witches brew of spices, including but not limited to: Salt, pepper, freshly ground chiltepin, curry powder, cinnamon, cardamom, a can of El Pato hot sauce, and a stick of butter for some creaminess.

Hhmm interesting on the butter. Had you seen it done or your creation? 

39 minutes ago, heidih said:

Beautiful assortment of dishes. Yes I find injera like corn and flour tortillas just from freezer seem to be glued together - you think the edge will separate but the middle is like concrete so they break I usually set the packet on counter and then gently run a rounded blade knife towards center to separate.  If not using all then back in the freezer. I detect little quality loss. 

Thanks. I was actually careful to let them defrost untouched, but they once it reached room temp, it became even more fragile. That said, they reheat beautifully. Starches are interesting. 

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

14 minutes ago, shain said:

Thanks. I was actually careful to let them defrost untouched, but they once it reached room temp, it became even more fragile. That said, they reheat beautifully. Starches are interesting. 

Right! You have to get them at that tipping point before complete defrost - in my experience ;) And them treat them with light hands. Teff is such an amazing grain. I love seeing all the attention to alternate grains in food media. They have always been there and deserve a time in the spotlight.

• Like 1

Just your basic garden variety crockpot beef stew. For future reference (for myself), thou shalt not put rutabaga in thine stew. Seemed like a good idea. I like rutabaga. I now know I do not like it in my beef stew. It took over... the broth tastes like rutabaga and not in a good way. It's not that earthy sweetness of a good cooked rutabaga. It seems to have maintained that stronger taste it has when raw even after 10 hours of cooking. It's not actually offensive, just not what I expected. I guess it's possible it just wasn't a great rutabaga to begin with.

stew.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1
  • Sad 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

4 hours ago, pastameshugana said:

And the big news is that our first grandchild will be a boy, and they told us last night they're naming him after me! So - a good time was had by all.

Many congratulations to you, Mrs. M. and the prospective parents! (Grandparenting is wonderful!)

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Congratulations @pastameshugana!

We are trying to clean the fridge, last day tomorrow and we are out for two weeks when they are doing construction in the house. 
Tonight super simple: pan barrel fish, zucchini and peppers, some focaccia. 

74E65626-2C6A-462F-8AEC-FE265AB76CB1.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

One pane of glass broke in my two tiered knife rack, and it was made (by a kind friend) in such a way that I couldn't slide it out to replace or to clean.
Another retired friend, needing a project to work on in his shop, offered to make me a new one.
He made me TWO! I still need to treat the wood, then get glass inserts. Might have to buy some more knives to fill both racks! 😉
My friend wouldn't take any money, not even for the oak he used. Do I made him Cantonese Chow Mein to take home for supper.

I made a double batch, so we also had it for supper.

298279027_Kniferacks2471.jpg.695e9a44c798849d71b7d3cf95c20103.jpg

398739613_CantoneseChowmein2476.jpg.5f6a6b951608181040f1272494391bb1.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

On 10/22/2020 at 6:29 AM, scamhi said:

@Ann_T looks amazing. Can you explain what was in the stuffing? And were the ribs seasoned greek style?

@scamhi, The stuffing is just my traditional bread and sage stuffing and the ribs were presalted and then rubbed with garlic, pepper and rubbed sage.  

@Kim Shook, one of the few things my mom cooked that I still make.   Because it was just for Moe and I, I used one rack cut in half, rather than two full racks.

@pastameshugana,  recipe is very easy.  You can find it here on my blog.

STUFFED BABY BACK RIBS

• Thanks 2