• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

Not as healthy as hand hunted beef but, a Simple roasted squash with all spice and maple syrup.. Broiled at the end.. Served with a salad of frisee, purple savoy cabbage, sourdough croutons and a mustard dressing... Polenta with sage from the garden and some olive oil.. 

50435924633_2d21c9dc66_z.jpg

50436786452_562901a2e2_z.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Favorite Chinese restaurant for pick up dinner for Jessica and me.  This is the place where the owner announces that the "Pupu Ladies" are here when we walk in (he's known us since 36 year old Jessica was 10).  We had the Pupu platter:

IMG_3679.thumb.jpg.940b953f2125bfcaeb456e8118b3627c.jpg

😊  And shared Shrimp fried rice and Orange Beef:

IMG_3678.thumb.jpg.e76dfe49cccefd0cbe9b6b8f0c8accb4.jpg

Mr. Kim went down the block for Thai.  Thai spicy Red Curry with chicken and rice:

IMG_3680.jpg.d353e2ca4946edf82094e2b699ee6596.jpg

It was so overfull that it sloshed all over the place trying to get it open.  I nicknamed it the Hot Mess. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, heidih said:

@BKEats  What was different about the rice (raw) and/or your method and final result? Steamed tofu = comprt food.

I made about twice as much as usual as I was planning on fried rice..  I used a different copper pan and well, it made all the difference..

I had a sudden urge to deep clean a couple of rooms...thus, I had no dinner ideas when I was done.  Breakfast it was.

thumbnail_IMG_8232.jpg.a8935ebfabc8fbb25fe677de3ee469fa.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8233.jpg.940f0b37a15e73923015d9ce64efec9f.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8234.jpg.17e405af9d1871572cfe0b7fed08579e.jpg

Apple pie for dessert

thumbnail_IMG_8235.jpg.1c168f3e1645257606eef15fc862f798.jpg

More cleaning for some reason happened the next day...so easy dinner of frozen elk meatballs that I had made earlier and sauce.

thumbnail_IMG_8236.jpg.3e5dce7d81ad2ebe215b69b03b91c9ff.jpg

SV pork tenderloin with Bisto onion gravy (good stuff)

thumbnail_IMG_8237.jpg.aa6c004baa8ce1125c11e3cf70aa9a3e.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8239.jpg.cb5604081ef2f958944860bf575b5a90.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8240.jpg.6963df6b55298c80a4a7973615c3a72e.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BKEats said:

I made about twice as much as usual as I was planning on fried rice..  I used a different copper pan and well, it made all the difference..

You know, I've been using copper (Falk) to cook rice - for some reason, it comes out great.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

57 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby  

This :

ssssssssss.jpg.258874baa65c50be95f906285ddbbf8e.jpg

and Pie

is all i need.

There's a joke here somewhere, @rotuts, but I'm too classy to say it.  @Shelby? Nah - you're too classy too.

• Haha 4

Tasty Travails - My Blog

This is the last takeout dinner you will see from me in a long time.  We are heading home tomorrow.  Back to home cooking!

Shrimp spring rolls to share

1792599692_shrimpspringrolls.thumb.jpg.3e5767dd190e76a11b6110e149831a9d.jpg

I got a grilled romaine salad with shrimp.  It turned out that I was not in the mood for shrimp after all, so my husband and his brother ate them.

1488834461_shrimpsalad.thumb.jpg.dc4d7ad12e89bfbd32cbc532e119e182.jpg

The guys split a ton of fried seafood--oysters, calamari, and fish.  This is one guy's plate!

wofried.thumb.jpg.54081fcc78ecae393dadb3dbbe01fda3.jpg

Final Wellfleet sunset for me in 2020.  We are already booked for multiple weeks in 2021.

IMG_7954.thumb.jpg.bd797d9918d74a16408d7f28c854b2b6.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, weinoo said:

I went to the farmer's market again (!). The Wednesday seafood vendor was loaded with good stuff, and I decided on littlenecks.

76099941_Linguiniwithrealclams-10-7.thumb.jpeg.dc09ceb40b947e26ce785fc90df79a9b.jpeg

Linguini with fresh Long Island littlenecks. Good and different (but not necessarily better) than the linguini with canned and/or jarred clams.

I have fond memories of when we woudl go to trade shows in NY or Philadelphia or points near the Atlantic seaboard. I had a dear friend whose experience of seafood was pretty much limited to catfish and crawfish in South Arkansas, but who had learned to love more -- advernturous -- seafood via traveling. She and I would descend on searfood places in NY, Boston and Philly, and devour littlenecks at an amazing pace.

One of my favorite seafoood places, to this day, remains Shaw's Crab House in Chicago. I well remember going there with a friend who'd order, and then tell the waiter to leave the menu there, because he was not through. There are stories of legend of how much seafood that guy could eat. He'd go for HOURS. Waiters would be somewhat astounded at him.

I still love Shaws, and would go there in a heartbeat if I ever get back to Chicago.

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

5 hours ago, BKEats said:

Bare copper pan or copper with a non-reactive lining?  For rice I use my Zojirushi and I cannot imagine better.  But I have a battery of Falk, lined and unlined, and I am not too old to learn something.  Though it seems the highest end Zojirushi employ an iron pot.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

20 hours ago, rotuts said:

@shain

your potato dish looks very interesting.

would share more details ?

never thought of caramel and potatoes before

I boil then bake the potatoes until crisp.

Sauce is a small amount of caramel made with some cream of tarter (or other acid) so that it won't firm up too much. Mixed in is some gochujang (or other chili paste), soy sauce, garlic and paprika for more color.

The sauce is gently heated to loose it up and mixed with the baked potatoes. Add toasted sesame seeds and oil.

They are pretty addictive.

In the past I used to make them with dark brown sugar instead, but caramel is a bit nicer, with more complex-savory flavor.

• Like 2

~ Shai N.

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Bare copper pan or copper with a non-reactive lining?  For rice I use my Zojirushi and I cannot imagine better.  But I have a battery of Falk, lined and unlined, and I am not too old to learn something.  Though it seems the highest end Zojirushi employ an iron pot.

In my case, it's a lined, classic Falk saucier...

image.thumb.png.7d5fa0f160dd54acbc03690f3a38921e.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

135178538_Swordfishpiccata10-08.thumb.jpeg.9b304e1c53a3cb2e223a180f527bd749.jpeg

Swordfish piccata. Reverse engineered Rice-a-Roni. Broccoli raab.

We love Rice-a-Roni (don't tell anyone). So I've been desperately trying to make a good version of it. I'm getting closer. I think it's all about really toasting the pasta well; here, I used good old Ronzoni orzo - maybe I need to use an even higher percentage of pasta.  This version, hewing to @BKEats, is actually vegan, as I used homemade mushroom/vegetable stock.

• Like 14

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I lucked out this week, times 2.  

The Guadalajara Costco now stocks Canadian duck breasts, specifically this brand https://canardsdulacbrome.com/  

I also happened upon radicchio locally, an item I haven't seen in many many months.  

Not shown is the dipping sauce which was a sieved jar of McCormick's Mermelada de Frutos Rojos con Chile Morita (red berries with chilies).  

radicfresh.jpg

duck grill.jpg

duck plate.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

Inspired by Yotam Ottolengh's recipe for chickpeas with carrots, dates and feta (but having no carrots, dates or feta 😜), my dish had Rancho Gordo Mayocoba beans with lamb stock, lamb, duck bacon, onions, garlic, ginger, chiles, apricots, prunes, tomato paste, cumin, and cinnamon. It was finished with a lump of fresh goat cheese mixed with toasted caraway, lemon zest, lemon juice and Thai basil.

IMG_2551.thumb.JPG.d5e7ca42676e87b5a2bd1ef44e4d31b6.JPG

Post from a new computer, so I hope it works.

Edited by TdeV
Grammar (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 2

6 hours ago, shain said:

I boil then bake the potatoes until crisp.

Sauce is a small amount of caramel made with some cream of tarter (or other acid) so that it won't firm up too much. Mixed in is some gochujang (or other chili paste), soy sauce, garlic and paprika for more color.

The sauce is gently heated to loose it up and mixed with the baked potatoes. Add toasted sesame seeds and oil.

They are pretty addictive.

In the past I used to make them with dark brown sugar instead, but caramel is a bit nicer, with more complex-savory flavor.

Addictive - maybe an understatement!  Like gilding the lily of this dish which I have seen but not had the opportunity to taste.  https://www.travelchinaguide.com/tour/food/chinese-cooking/caramel-potatoes.htm

On 10/7/2020 at 5:25 AM, shain said:

Fire roasted eggplants with browned onions, labneh and sumac, mint, olive oil, garlic, chili.

Those dishes look mighty tasty, Shai.
Could you please say how you made the eggplant dish?

2 hours ago, TdeV said:

Those dishes look mighty tasty, Shai.
Could you please say how you made the eggplant dish?

Thanks!

Eggplants (apx 600g) are roasted over flame until the peel is all fully charred. Chill and peel well.

Fry thin wedged if 1 small onion in butter until caramelized. The onion is optional in this salad.

Add two cloves of garlic, 150g nice tart labneh, 2 tsp sumac, some chopped mint, olive oil, chili, lemon, salt. You can add silan or honey to taste.

You may add chopped toasted walnuts (I didn't this time).

Serve topped with pomegranate seeds (I forgot them), more olive oil, sumac and mint.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

~ Shai N.