• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

Here are some random dinners from around here. 

This is Baccala' Mantecato. I guess it's like Brandade but without the potatoes. It is baccala that has been steeped with some flavorings (like peppercorn, onion, bay leaf and the rest) and then whipped with olive oil. We like it enough that it has its own designated bowl. 😃 It's usually served atop crispy fried polenta crostini, but we didn't have the patience for that this weekend! 

IMG_9380.jpg.0bdb47583b95ca406e9cec524d098d96.jpgIMG_9377.jpg.f43ffa39912e3d9d2f9be8cb59c57ce2.jpg

Then a seafood risotto made with calamari, shrimp, jumbo shrimp (sadly not pictured), clams and mussels.

IMG_9467.jpg.315ed137dd6984157da48b4055b503d6.jpg

Then we have pork baked inside garlic bread. It's a riff off a Tuscan dish, which is just a pork filet cooked in a baguette, usually with rosemary, sage and garlic. Sometimes fennel seed. I "Americanized" it, basically making it garlic bread! First I seared the filet on all sides, then made the garlic bread, using olive oil instead of butter. Then you make a sandwich out of it, cover the whole thing in pancetta, tie it up, and bake until desired doneness. I'm not a fan of cooking pork at all, this was a special request. (I'm not good at it, it's always dry, or....wrong.)The sides were mashed red-skinned potatoes, sautéed turnip tops (with absolutely NO flavor whatsoever) and those are some mushrooms on top of the mash that I had to cook because they were about to go bad. 

IMG_9422.jpg.949ae66f0ff28a9b49aacedb944e3cb1.jpgIMG_9423.jpg.ce7ecf82bd34d0cf802a7ed70eb85d9f.jpg

And finally, we had a COVID scare this weekend, scarily, so the kid in the family got baked pancakes two nights in a row. The parents had lots of wine. 😁 (P.S. His results came back negative.)

IMG_9396.jpg.c359c263ba9f93d89dc2f65dad25c020.jpg

Edited by ambra (log)
  • Like 18
  • Delicious 2

My future daughter in law sent over a Lebanese dish her grandmother used to make for her. Sabanegh (spinach and ground beef) with rice. She told me to put the spinach and meat mixture over the rice, add a few squirts of lemon and a little vinegar, and eat! I had some for lunch yesterday. 

79B395FA-504E-4323-A211-BE58872DD20F.thumb.jpeg.d7d9c07db5ea55055983d0dee18bd4fa.jpeg

I had more with my dinner last night. My husband picked up a poboy for himself and some fried catfish for me. With a cup of leftover soup. 

122CA1A8-34C3-440F-B6B9-47ACDE2C28BE.thumb.jpeg.5758ef1f2496df5e6f0c26949b4d66fb.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 3

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

Cooking vacation continues with sushi takeout.  We picked every shrimp option on the menu.  I could not finish all of this, but I know my husband's brother will eat it in the middle of the night 🙂

sushi.thumb.jpg.d00aa23d67e7ee72fbf126db48a501a2.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 3

Cooking from Indian-ish

IMG_3129.thumb.jpeg.003ffe8f5fdd8a8c50282903caa78b41.jpeg

Clockwise from top: Basmati rice, chapati (from Made in India), roasted gobhi aloo, cucumber raita, green chile & cherry tomato pickle, mustard seed & curry leaf carrot salad, basic dal and cilantro chutney in the middle.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 17
  • Delicious 3

20 hours ago, ambra said:

This is Baccala' Mantecato. I guess it's like Brandade but without the potatoes. It is baccala that has been steeped with some flavorings (like peppercorn, onion, bay leaf and the rest) and then whipped with olive oil. We like it enough that it has its own designated bowl. 😃 It's usually served atop crispy fried polenta crostini, but we didn't have the patience for that this weekend! 

IMG_9377.jpg.f43ffa39912e3d9d2f9be8cb59c57ce2.jpg

Ahhh - one of my favorite dishes, and one I haven't made in a loooooong time.  

Way different than brandade, because as well as no potatoes, it was originally made with dried stockfish, which was air-dried but not salted, if my memory serves me correctly.  And something which is virtually impossible to obtain nowadays, as is good salt cod, I suppose. (Unless you're lucky enough to live in or near the Veneto!)

And it does:

In Italy, the term baccalà usually refers to salt cod, however in Venice it’s used to mean Norwegian stockfish. This recipe works equally well with either. If you get the dried variety you will have to soak it in water for three or four days to hydrate it, changing the water occasionally. Luckily, you can usually buy it ready hydrated.

As well as in Saveur:  https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Creamed-Stockfish/

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I went to the farmer's market again (!). The Wednesday seafood vendor was loaded with good stuff, and I decided on littlenecks.

76099941_Linguiniwithrealclams-10-7.thumb.jpeg.dc09ceb40b947e26ce785fc90df79a9b.jpeg

Linguini with fresh Long Island littlenecks. Good and different (but not necessarily better) than the linguini with canned and/or jarred clams.

• Like 18
  • Delicious 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

19 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Ahhh - one of my favorite dishes, and one I haven't made in a loooooong time.  

Way different than brandade, because as well as no potatoes, it was originally made with dried stockfish, which was air-dried but not salted, if my memory serves me correctly.  And something which is virtually impossible to obtain nowadays, as is good salt cod, I suppose. (Unless you're lucky enough to live in or near the Veneto!)

And it does:

As well as in Saveur:  https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Creamed-Stockfish/

Indeed, it's hard for me to find good stoccafisso, in fact, I've never really met one I liked! 😂  My husband swears the good stuff exists, but I haven't found it. Luckily salt cod is still popular enough across Italy that you can find it easily.

I hope I inspired you to make it again! 😇 Does Eataly carry either? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ambra said:

I'd love a portion too! 😋

Me of your great looking baccalà mantecato. It’s a lifetime I don’t eat it! So good. I never seen stoccafisso in the US, baccalà of good quality only a couple of times. But if I think of baccalà at El Corte Ingles 😅 in Lisbon...

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Stir fried eggs, zucchini, chilies, spring onions in a spicy-sweet-sour sauce made with plenty of ginger, Korean chili paste, garlic, coriander seeds, a bit of orange zest and a few more flavorings.

Roasted potatoes in a saucer of caramel, chili, sesame oil.

PXL_20200927_114527532.jpg

PXL_20200927_114116705.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 3

~ Shai N.

1 hour ago, ambra said:

Indeed, it's hard for me to find good stoccafisso, in fact, I've never really met one I liked! 😂  My husband swears the good stuff exists, but I haven't found it. Luckily salt cod is still popular enough across Italy that you can find it easily.

I hope I inspired you to make it again! 😇 Does Eataly carry either? 

Eataly probably does; haven't been there in a long while.  Whole Foods carries some nice true salt cod (not the little 1 lb. boxes); so many places sell other salted, dried fish like pollock, but I've never used those.  "Back in the day," when I worked in grocery stores on Long Island, they'd always have salt cod around Christmas time. 

1 hour ago, Franci said:

Me of your great looking baccalà mantecato. It’s a lifetime I don’t eat it! So good. I never seen stoccafisso in the US, baccalà of good quality only a couple of times. But if I think of baccalà at El Corte Ingles 😅 in Lisbon...

Now you're talking!

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

15 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Eataly probably does; haven't been there in a long while.  Whole Foods carries some nice true salt cod (not the little 1 lb. boxes); so many places sell other salted, dried fish like pollock, but I've never used those.  "Back in the day," when I worked in grocery stores on Long Island, they'd always have salt cod around Christmas time. 

A quick internet search and it can definitely be mail ordered. Browne Trading, Amazon various sellers, etc. The real stuff.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Roast, stuffed with garlic and jalapeños, chowchow, black-eyed peas, rice and gravy. 

7F8A9256-C83D-427D-A1D4-EAB7A4102B19.thumb.jpeg.265596226f02685e8f3bd1ad2e051d8f.jpeg

Salad. Spinach, butter lettuce, arugula, red onion, radishes. My serving included Gorgonzola cheese, dried figs. Pepper jelly vinaigrette not pictured. 

F7FF8ECE-E2F2-483D-BE28-CE1585EBEB7D.thumb.jpeg.512e0545d1508c196d6436c8a06e7536.jpeg

01A2D6FB-9711-4FF8-A98E-691C2563B11F.thumb.jpeg.95a9094e42fc42d7022a86f86cffa778.jpeg

Edited by patti (log)
  • Like 15
  • Delicious 1

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.