• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

23 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

@robirdstx – I really want to try that SV method for fried chicken.  I feel like I’d make it more often if I did it that way.  Could I SV it one day, refrigerate, and fry it the next?

I don’t see why not, but I would bring the pieces back up to temp in the water bath before breading and frying.

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Thanks 1

@Kim Shook 

"  Could I SV it one day, refrigerate, and fry it the next? "

or a few days later.  but its very important to know this about SV :

you might have gotten your item(s) pasteurized w enough time

in The Bath , but please understand you have to

rapidly chill those bags as fast as you can , w ice , and a good quantity of it

too keep the bags out of The Danger Zone

where they can spoil.

once you udnerstand that , you are set.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ambra said:

Do they get dipped in egg like normal breaded chicken? Looks great!

Nope. Just their normal wetness.  Into a baggie and shaken with the panko mix. Once they are in position on the rack I sprinkle some of the panko from the bag on top by hand. 

• Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

2 minutes ago, BKEats said:

My favorite thing is to make new dishes out of items that we keep in the restaurant for other dishes..  This morning I grabbed a few vegan eggs that we cook in a mold and chopped.. I combined the egg with fried chips, i stole the tomatillo green sauce we use at the place next door, i then added some guac, crema

Simple dish... I just received a large bag of TVP. I had a soy mushroom broth that I rehydrated the TVP with.. Then stir fried broccoli with garlic and ginger, a little sesame, sweet soy, sugar, bean curd and then TVP and finally spinach. Served over rice and topped with pickled sichuan vegetables. I should add, my wife hates TVP and had two small bowls of it.

I should mention, it's the first time Miss A was able to eat and enjoy TVP  The marinade was dope

dlOLAd1.jpg

, raw onions and 

TVP?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gfweb said:

@mgaretz Nice air fry! 

Do I have this right...you breaded the chicken then sprayed on oil?

Yes, that’s right. Just a very light amount of oil. Used a can of olive oil spray from TJs. 

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Just now, KennethT said:

Is it like seitan or tempeh?

What we get is crumbles. No real flavor to me. Darling of dieters for a while. Think the iconic Jack in the Box taco of years ago - heavily seasoned for flavor supposedly a mix of meat & TVP - a "filler/stretcher". Not a lot of chew in my experience. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Is it like seitan or tempeh?

I would say it's like seitan. I've only ever had TVP in crumbles form. I have had seitan in small sheets. I'm having a hard time comparing the two right now, haha.

Now that I think of it, the vegan dim sum that I had was probably seitan, not TVP.

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

TVP?

Do you really want to know!?

TVP is usually made from high (50%) soy protein, soy flour or concentrate, but can also be made from cotton seeds, wheat, and oats. It is extruded into various shapes (chunks, flakes, nuggets, grains, and strips) and sizes, exiting the nozzle while still hot and expanding as it does so.

Scary.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Do you really want to know!?

TVP is usually made from high (50%) soy protein, soy flour or concentrate, but can also be made from cotton seeds, wheat, and oats. It is extruded into various shapes (chunks, flakes, nuggets, grains, and strips) and sizes, exiting the nozzle while still hot and expanding as it does so.

Scary.

...but all the hexane is cooked out, we promise. :P

When vegans ask me "You know what's really in those [chicken nuggets, hot dogs, etc]?" I invariably answer "Why yes, I do...do you know what's in your textured soy protein?"

Just to be clear, I eat the stuff myself on occasion and have no (forgive me) beef with it. I just enjoy a good round of devil's advocate on occasion.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

My sister and nephew headed back to our house on Sunday as sister had to go back to work, so my husband, husband's brother and myself took advantage of a rare opportunity to consume crustaceans without fear of triggering my nephew's allergy.  This is takeout from Mac's Shack in Wellfleet.  I am on a mini vacation from cooking.  Steamers

332876957_macssteamers.thumb.jpg.045741d7689fa09d769256917e799af8.jpg

Fried shrimp

1825811735_macsshrimp.thumb.jpg.10001c20571f370344bf4da25222e409.jpg

Steamed lobster

774957750_macslobster.thumb.jpg.f90ca00bead1b9adb2a29ae6530a2242.jpg

Lobster gnocchi

1174074479_macslobstergnocchi.thumb.jpg.4ed60c96fb1579d1d33fdba783e23f85.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 5

So there was delicious gravy leftover from my husband’s short rib dinner...I sauteed a bunch of dinosaur kale in a bit of olive oil /garlic, added the leftover gravy (which was thick with the pureed mirepoix), heated until bubbling, tossed in cooked Barilla chickpea rotini pasta, dinner in 20 minutes. I don’t eat beef but the gravy was so good I made an exception.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

The weather has been beautiful, so I've been in hardcore grill mode. Last night was souvlaki (and tomorrow night will be round 2). I had a learning experience with some rice (not pictured). Did you know that if you add citrus zest to rice before cooking it, it will release a boatload of pectin and make the rice all weird and gelatinous? It wasn't exactly bad, per se. But it was certainly far from the fluffy separate grained texture I was going for. Maybe useful for rice pudding? But I digress... Anyway, it was this plus lemon rice, plus pita, plus tzatziki

2E968711-08C2-4476-A696-9137E6C105EB.thumb.jpeg.162c00b6d9b4ec4eefe6d3d27b220161.jpeg

Tonight I followed a recipe. I can't remember the last time I followed a recipe. But it looked so quick and easy I had to try it. Grilled swordfish over east Mediterranean caponata. The swordfish skewers didn't really need a recipe but the grilled caponata was a different and delicious take on the classic formula. It doesn't look especially pretty, but I'll definitely be making it again.

7B1844E9-2B60-49DD-ACCA-0C5B7B3E69E0.thumb.jpeg.489e5355d43320cb88fe61d5bd896d9b.jpeg

Here's the recipe.

• Like 13

4 hours ago, weinoo said:

Husbands are easy.

That’s exactly what he says! I am the difficult one. Btw, he should get his own account because he is always using mine to snack and read the dinner thread 😂 

So, second time cooking the mahi-mahi roes. This time it looks like I did a good job, I got thumbs up. Very simple: sprayed with some extra virgin olive oil, salt for a couple hours, then cooked on the cast iron grill, cut, more oil, parsley and salt. Same for the mahi-mahi. Salad and some broccoli on the side.  

A5967739-6DEF-47B5-AA7F-AA3D00CC67F8.jpeg

7AA05F46-BAD0-4F93-A97E-51DB488E9C23.jpeg

6DADEC7E-0B34-428B-A0CE-780E4E488480.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 1

Eggs in spinach, herbs and cream sauce (onion, garlic, sage, thyme, fresh zaatar leaves, parsley, spinach, cream, toasted sesame seeds, nigella seeds, sumac, lemon). Finished with more sumac and toasted seeds.

Fire roasted eggplants with browned onions, labneh and sumac, mint, olive oil, garlic, chili.

Mixed grains bread (bought).

PXL_20200926_105829040.thumb.jpg.012397e1dfc7bdb7c9c209273e3256ae.jpg

PXL_20200926_103406160.jpg

• Like 11

~ Shai N.

8 hours ago, BKEats said:

Really that's scary to you?  You are essentially eating wet bread..   Imagine if you took the time to know how meat was raised. 

Scary to me too.  Buy quality meat, poultry, seafood and vegetables/legumes and stop being scared.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2075303759_ShrimoThaigreencurry10-06.thumb.jpeg.baa0715dc2778543d2919f31729e009c.jpeg

Thai green curry shrimp, with potatoes, onions, okra (never again in this kind of dish, but I tried), Thai basil, cilantro, etc. These are the wild shrimp ordered from Great Alaska - maybe the best shrimp I've ever purchased. Cooked in the shell when dining with Significant Eater and no guests!

18921025_ShrimpThaigreencurryricesalad10-06.thumb.jpeg.c1821c01d9ebc7ec9977a7ea01f392ec.jpeg 

• Like 15

Tasty Travails - My Blog

10 hours ago, BKEats said:

Really that's scary to you?  You are essentially eating wet bread..   Imagine if you took the time to know how meat was raised. 

Assumptions are fantastic, aren't they?!

Not only have I hunted before - I only purchase meat from butchers who work directly with local farmers who follow humane and organic processes to raise their animals.  Furthermore, I am comfortable in in my first hand knowledge of how these animals were raised, because I have visited these farms and have seen how lovingly they are treated (not like a simple piece of meat/dollar bill).

Now; if you enjoy eating highly processed (often chemically altered) thermoplastic substances....by all means; but please do not kid yourself that it is a 'healthier alternative'.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Now; if you enjoy eating highly processed (often chemically altered) thermoplastic substances....by all means; but please do not kid yourself that it is a 'healthier alternative'.

Or better for the planet, for that matter.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog