• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Where I live borders Yunnan, but I've never seen split peas in China, so I'm guessing not popular. I can't even find them on the online shopping portals except one where they are imported from India (and little is imported from India - relationships are not good).

Anyway, your dish looks and sounds great.

Thanks!

I believe that it's mostly used in flour form. I've seen it referred to as "wan dou fen" - 豌豆粉.

~ Shai N.

10 minutes ago, shain said:

Thanks!

I believe that it's mostly used in flour form. I've seen it referred to as "wan dou fen" - 豌豆粉.

豌豆粉 just means pea flour. That is common. But never split peas.

My 8,888th post. China's luckiest number!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

8 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

豌豆粉 just means pea flour. That is common. But never split peas.

My 8,888th post. China's luckiest number!

Congrats!

Which pea will it be then?

~ Shai N.

1 minute ago, shain said:

Congrats!

Which pea will it be then?

I really don't know. The only peas, as I know them, I've ever found are greenish, rock hard, over starchy and you can boil them for weeks and they remain rock hard.

I can get snow peas and the like, which I do like, but regular garden peas - forget it.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Chicken tenders with homemade panko coating.  Made in the air fryer.  This time I did not pre-toast the panko.  Instead I lightly sprayed the coating chicken with olive oil and that browned and crisped up nicely.  Served with steamed cauliflower in butter.

chicken-tenders.jpg.df15029b76522f631942475ff0fa0074.jpg

I also made a cherry pie, sans crust.  Instead I put a few cheerios on top near the end of baking to give some crusty flavor without all the calories of a real crust.  Not sure it made any real difference.  Also made vanilla ice cream with oat milk. It was OK flavor-wise, but I like almond milk better.  First the "pie" and then together:

cherry-glop2.jpg.0460ed873fab9ad004d503e20d01fb04.jpg

vanilla-ice-cream.jpg.58f105173f3704d197a9b2e906518841.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

11 hours ago, ambra said:

This dish as always piqued my interest, yours looks great! Just one question, did you find it very, very sweet?

It was sweet, so I added sriracha to sort of counterbalance it. Maybe I'd also increase the fish sauce next time. I thought it was tasty enough to be worth playing with the salty, sweet, and heat to find the right balance. Maybe lime juice to add sour?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

Tonight, Red Peppers & Onions with Chicken Sausage in a tomato sauce with "tuscan seasoning", served over spaghetti topped with parmesan reggiano.  Off right is a nice petite sirah.

20201005_173423.thumb.jpg.cd54c9c53667ee12dce1eba50f202d7a.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

4 hours ago, patti said:

It was sweet, so I added sriracha to sort of counterbalance it. Maybe I'd also increase the fish sauce next time. I thought it was tasty enough to be worth playing with the salty, sweet, and heat to find the right balance. Maybe lime juice to add sour?

Perhaps because there is not so frequently a single dish on the table but rather a balance of dishes and condiments/pickles/herbs. 

• Like 1

My first attempt at miso salmon (and actually miso-anything) cooked on the PAG.  It stuck to the non-stick grate pretty bad and I wasn't prepared for that, so the salmon tore a bit.  Probably too much sugar content (no actual sugar, but cream sherry and mirin).  I am going to try sake instead next time, but I was out. It was still tasty though. Served with mini-peppers and squash also grilled on the PAG.  They were marinated in EVOO and balsamic.

miso-salmon.jpg.7988f7a2e03f68a0cc15005f71722c5a.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

21 hours ago, patti said:

I have seen some recipes that use rice vinegar....But I still haven't tried it yet. I will report back if I do. 

• Like 1

On 10/5/2020 at 6:11 PM, mgaretz said:

Chicken tenders with homemade panko coating.  Made in the air fryer.  This time I did not pre-toast the panko.  Instead I lightly sprayed the coating chicken with olive oil and that browned and crisped up nicely. 

Do they get dipped in egg like normal breaded chicken? Looks great!

@Captain – Mr. Kim was in Cologne, Germany for work many years ago.  They had Schweinshaxe for dinner one night.  He’s dreamed of it ever since.  Now I see why.  I would be happy peeling off all of that crackling and selfishly running away.

@robirdstx – I really want to try that SV method for fried chicken.  I feel like I’d make it more often if I did it that way.  Could I SV it one day, refrigerate, and fry it the next?

(I have no idea why the words above are in bold and the ones below are not - or why the spacing is so different.)

Last night I SV’d some really cheap steaks I found at Kroger a couple of weeks ago.  Cooked at 120F for 4 hours (they were frozen) and then seared:

IMG_3666.jpg.a6ffc587e6eff235fdf29df481ea7cda.jpg

Seared in an old cast aluminum pan – I get as good a sear in it as in cast iron, but it is SO much easier to clean and lift.  We each got our favorites – I got the ribeye and Mr. Kim got the strip.  Served with salad, broccoli, and baked potato:

IMG_3665.jpg.30891db25e905af8c28ad33813a13b15.jpg 

IMG_3667.jpg.be0734351c9cbe74a3a0df69e73e8db4.jpg

The strip was thicker than the ribeye, so it was fine, but the ribeye was slightly overdone from the sear:

IMG_3668.jpg.af4f910d16b10f8b5fd1095434138f91.jpg

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 16
  • Delicious 2