• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

So many beautiful meals to look at! I will go back through them again and linger more. This group has access to such a variety of ingredients!

Several different dinners, from super easy to complex (for me).

Good old reliable, never disappointing, BLT.

blt.thumb.jpg.283f2df336c83887d8e913e4f6409730.jpg

Vietnamese One Pan Caramel Chicken. Recipe from Marion's Kitchen.

1756971015_caramelchicken.thumb.jpg.62583f8a1354bd95e94827a969f13b00.jpg

1531047505_caramelchickenwrice.thumb.jpg.e169a20391de0b586562d24457bd0087.jpg

I regretted not taking the sauce a little further, so after supper I worked on it a little more. Here's a pic of leftovers packed up for my son's girlfriend and you can see how much darker it is.
539360932_caramelchickenleftovers.thumb.jpg.4d9e4084151a4e7e4e282ff808176bb1.jpg

Mexican pizzas, Taco Bell copycat.

496982965_Mexicanpizza.thumb.jpg.3faf25578ff4b1892d47b54de6c89459.jpg

Tonight's dinner was chicken rendang. By far the dish that took the most work. There were a number of recipes with varying ingredients, so I sort of used one as a base, and then added a few things from others. 

1325098763_chickenrendang.thumb.jpg.4118fc5c068b1bd7d466cea15131bdb6.jpg

Edited by patti (log)
  • Like 18
  • Delicious 3

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

41 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Looks more like a BOT to me.

😂

True!

I did add lettuce, but the bacon and tomatoes were too pretty to cover up. I didn’t even think of that when I posted. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

Rubbish Photo but Rib Steak Sangas for the boys tonight. BBQ sauce, cucumber, lettuce, onion, beetroot. I forgot the carrot. 

20201004_192309.thumb.jpg.d39f29c6e19bd587a43be929589de017.jpg

I spent an hour this afternoon preparing work snacks for my husband, hence the easy dinner. Half an hour in I was thinking to myself how good I am to him. 

20201004_161234.thumb.jpg.e73b146a96abc817bd6b81a45ec0d420.jpg

Don't worry I spent way more than an hour actively telling him how grateful he should be 😂

((It's my own choice - I'm too cheap to pay the $55 kg for shelled ones he gets)) 

Edited by CantCookStillTry (log)
  • Like 7
  • Haha 4

@CantCookStillTry I find shelling pistachio (and other nuts) meditative and comforting. BUT what is the Aussie beetroot thing? Does it have a history? I really like them from fresh pulled and roasted but will eat tinned in a vinegar/sugar dressing. Just curious. 

11 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Last night I made @weinoo’s (eG) Spaghetti with Clams, shared with Jessica.  My meez:

IMG_3648.thumb.jpg.deb1d4c666f8a45de3c78c7694a02ecf.jpg

This was absolutely excellent.  Jessica, who had never had it before loved it.  I grew up on linguini with clam sauce made with straight Progresso white clam sauce.  That’s what my friends’ moms made, too.  I always liked it just fine, but this is a whole other thing.  Since it calls for really concentrating the sauce and finishing the pasta in it, the flavor is so much more intense than any I’ve had before except in restaurants. 

Thanks so much, @weinoo!

You're welcome - looks great!

10 hours ago, MokaPot said:

@Kim Shook, did you put both the Bumble Bee chopped clams and the Matiz wild cockles in your pasta dish?

Your food looks extra-delicious today.

The reason for the Bumble Bee/Snow's is that they are packed in "natural clam juices," whereas the Matiz are packed in a sea-salt brine. You could get away with using clam juice (I like Bar Harbor) in lieu of the Bumble Bee stuff, but reducing the juices, as mentioned by @Kim Shook, is important. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

55 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Squid and garlicky shrimp salad with couscous, Tonkin jasmine, morels.68072080_20201004_2025401.thumb.jpg.9e21c5b6d90f090b3a74a394366f14ae.jpg

921183742_20201004_2025491.thumb.jpg.e3fc5913944b123c8bd83542f4094c5e.jpg

What is the Tonkin jasmine?  I don't think I've heard of it beore... and I'm drooling over your morels.  I always slice them in half lengthwise to make sure there's nobody living in there (I've read multiple sources that say to do that) but I've never seen it done in restaurants. I'd much rather leave them whole. What are the chances of getting a surprise inside?

Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, KennethT said:

What is the Tonkin jasmine?  I don't think I've heard of it beore... and

Tonkin jasmine (Telosma cordata) goes under many names such as pakalana vine, Tonkinese creeper, Chinese violet, cowslip creeper, telosoma etc. In Chinese it is 夜香花 or 夜来香.

It is a flowering plant native to Guangdong and Guangxi of China and also cultivated in Vietnam (on the Bay of Tonkin, hence the name.)

It has a delicate lemony scent and is used in both southern Chinese and Vietnamese cuisine (where it is known as bông thiên lý.)

- from my blog.

Yexianghua-1.jpg.94bc5c39cc8e2186344cee7ad481fb5a.jpg

7 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I'm drooling over your morels.  I always slice them in half lengthwise to make sure there's nobody living in there (I've read multiple sources that say to do that) but I've never seen it done in restaurants. I'd much rather leave them whole. What are the chances of getting a surprise inside?

Wash them in salty water. The critters quickly evacuate the premises.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Last night my sister, my husband and I got a seven course dinner takeaway from our favorite restaurant in Wellfleet, Ceraldi https://www.ceraldicapecod.com

The food comes completely cooked, but chilled, so you have to reheat it.  That worked out great because we were able to stagger the courses over time.  First course, focaccia with olive and pine nut tapenade.  We opted to split one piece three ways and save the other two for a different meal (the picture is of one slice before I divided it).  The tapenade was incredibly flavorful.

foccacia.thumb.jpg.d861d72e5ca5cba1c1fa92cba387d38e.jpg

Second course, local greens salad with beet dressing.  The picture is of one serving.  We dressed two servings and split it three ways

salad.thumb.jpg.e5ea2443658a6c3a8e9c941e5f67fb21.jpg

Third course, corn soup.  This looks like nothing but it was so delicious!  It was vegan but tasted very rich and creamy.  We opted to split this soup three ways so I have two servings left for another meal.  

soup.thumb.jpg.2e4d00997f0387629bfe4a34cab350a5.jpg

Fourth course, arancini stuffed with mushrooms and cheese, with a hubbard squash butter sauce.  We split two of the arancini and saved one for another meal.  We all agreed that the arancini was a little bland but the hubbard squash butter was incredible.  I ended up abandoning the arancini and just eating the sauce

arancini.thumb.jpg.846b87ae42e1f9cc50b6b62b9ccdba13.jpg

Fifth course, penne with smoked tomato sauce, parmigiano, and herbed ricotta.  We split one serving three ways (photo is of one serving before splitting).  It was delicious, but we were starting to flag and really wanted to eat the next course.

pasta.thumb.jpg.d17169d5cd4af75c6bf356a761358db9.jpg

Sixth course, striped bass with potato puree and leek sauce.  Delicious.  I could not fish mine though despite trying very hard.  

753377340_stripedbass.thumb.jpg.02502c86aa35237ee3ec879b08962e21.jpg

Final course, apple pear strudel with sea salt caramel sauce.  We each had one bite because we were STUFFED.  I am not a big sweets person so did not think much of this. Husband said it went very well with coffee.  

strudel.thumb.jpg.0e9ac20aacebce1a3c130036bea3ee03.jpg

We have enough leftovers for at least two more meals.  My favorite course was the soup, followed by the salad and the focaccia.  

• Like 15
  • Delicious 5

Steamed eggs and kelp

5HXgoDe.jpg

Some doenjang on the side in case I needed more. It's also in the soup.

PDAeZFK.jpg

Where my kale and squashes come from: 45mins biking, farms in the countryside next to the woods where I go for walks every week.

oh8ffri.jpg

nyqrucE.jpg

C2REDLT.jpg

• Like 19
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, heidih said:

@CantCookStillTry I find shelling pistachio (and other nuts) meditative and comforting. BUT what is the Aussie beetroot thing? Does it have a history? I really like them from fresh pulled and roasted but will eat tinned in a vinegar/sugar dressing. Just curious. 

I have no idea. Never ate it before I came here and it was on every Pub burger and steak sandwich - I've just gone with the flow because it works! Maybe @Captain or one of the others can shed some light. 

• Like 1

A labor of love, since I don’t eat beef...Whole Foods had a good sale on short ribs so I made a bunch for my husband (2.5 lbs), also mashed gold potatoes, and salad. I had tofu in coconut curry instead of the beef, which I enjoyed.

960B09B7-F744-446E-ADCD-5AFCC4728397.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

On 10/4/2020 at 5:24 AM, patti said:

Vietnamese One Pan Caramel Chicken. Recipe from Marion's Kitchen.

This dish as always piqued my interest, yours looks great! Just one question, did you find it very, very sweet?

Decided to be a bit creative and create a Chinese flavored take on hummus. Just to be clear, this is not hummus - hummus is only hummus if made from chickpeas and tahini.

I made a paste of yellow split peas (which I know are used in Yunnan, not sure about their popularity in the rest of China). I added sesame paste and peanut paste for richness, some rice vinegar, garlic, five spice mix, chili, MSG, a pinch of sugar.

Topped it with more unblended peas; peanuts, home made chili oil and a bit of light soy sauce; douchi with garlic and black vinegar; spicy pickled mustard stem; and a bit more five spice and toasted peppercorn.

Served warm with fluffy pita. Not bad at all :P

PXL_20200925_105932423.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 15
  • Delicious 2

~ Shai N.

2 hours ago, shain said:

I made a paste of yellow split peas (which I know are used in Yunnan, not sure about their popularity in the rest of China).

Where I live borders Yunnan, but I've never seen split peas in China, so I'm guessing not popular. I can't even find them on the online shopping portals except one where they are imported from India (and little is imported from India - relationships are not good).

Anyway, your dish looks and sounds great.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto