• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

11 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

314243698_ballstonbeach.thumb.jpg.e57c875308003265b221e54fe201b823.jpg

Do you ever go foraging in the dunes there? We got loads of porcini, and even the cranberries were in abundance this time of year.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

26 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Porcini in dunes? Porcini need trees.

Leccinum arenicola is a species of bolete mushroom in the family Boletaceae. Described in 1979, the fruit bodies (mushrooms) grow in sand dunes from New Brunswick south to Cape Cod.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

11 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Leccinum arenicola is a species of bolete mushroom in the family Boletaceae. Described in 1979, the fruit bodies (mushrooms) grow in sand dunes from New Brunswick south to Cape Cod.

But porcini are boletus edulis which certainly don't grow on sand dunes.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

12 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

We went to a new-to-us beach today for a long walk.  Ballston Beach in Truro.  Absolutely gorgeous.  I was struck by this house on dunes edge.  I wonder how many years it has before it goes down the cliff.  Dune erosion is a huge issue on the Outer Cape.  There was a single storm a few years ago that eroded 30 feet of dune on the ocean side of Wellfleet.  

Have you ever gone Leccinum arenicola hunting in the dunes.  It's a species of bolete mushroom, looking similar to porcini, a bolete which you won't find in the dunes. It even tastes like porcini, and we found them quite abundant around this time of year. Nearby, wild cranberries also are seen.

• Haha 9

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Very cool. I'll have to keep an eye out for that one; one of our favorite walks with the pooches is through the Irving Nature Park at the edge of town (where there are both beach and forest habitats). I've harvested some B. edulis, russulas and a few other Leccinum types from the forested areas, but never would have thought to check the sand for mushrooms. 

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

13 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Grilled swordfish tacos

454501767_swordfishtacos.thumb.jpg.998fa46e88a78c87afdd41454a6d239e.jpg

We went to a new-to-us beach today for a long walk.  Ballston Beach in Truro.  Absolutely gorgeous.  I was struck by this house on dunes edge.  I wonder how many years it has before it goes down the cliff.  Dune erosion is a huge issue on the Outer Cape.  There was a single storm a few years ago that eroded 30 feet of dune on the ocean side of Wellfleet.  

1333438787_ballstonbeachhouseondune.thumb.jpg.49d6473ef06c289183b7f4c0e89fd05f.jpg

Amazing pics, both frame worthy.  If you zoom in, just next to the house, you can see the tops of extremely wild portobellos aka 'Gros champignon avec du sable' ripe for the picking!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

That wasn't chicken

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

Do you ever go foraging in the dunes there? We got loads of porcini, and even the cranberries were in abundance this time of year.

I have not foraged for mushrooms.  I am not confident enough to do that.  I have seen them growing on the side of the road on the way in to Provincetown, and have seen people picking them.  I have gone in to the salt marsh to harvest sea beans.  There are tons of clams and oysters in front of the house, but you need a commercial permit to take them legally so we just get them at the fish market.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

I have not foraged for mushrooms.  I am not confident enough to do that.  I have seen them growing on the side of the road on the way in to Provincetown, and have seen people picking them.  I have gone in to the salt marsh to harvest sea beans.  There are tons of clams and oysters in front of the house, but you need a commercial permit to take them legally so we just get them at the fish market.

Wellfleet's regulations for clamming are, shall we say, numerous, but I think you can still get a permit for recreational in specific areas. And the kids get plenty of clams and scallops in Provincetown - resident permits for recreational are pretty cheap; once when we were staying at the Red Inn, I got up one morning, it was low tide, and the beach was like covered with scallops. I couldn't believe it.

I had purchased a small, boneless heritage pork butt roast last week. Decided to slice a few "steaks" off of it, and bagged the other 2/3 up for later use. I salted the "steaks" a day or two prior, and last night, I pan fried them...

73607052_Porkshouldersteak09-29.jpeg.89b3c5003a2cffafad49a89934f83e8e.jpeg

Let's say they cook fast!  And leave a nice fond in the stainless pan I use. Shallots went in, and then deglazed with the dregs of some vermouth, added stock, some horseradish mustard, some butter - and bam!

1035254735_Porkshouldersteakplated09-29.jpeg.f79af4004e644f9d8e045cfb956e6c34.jpeg

Pork butt steaks. Steam girl roasted potatoes and sautéed corn, scallions, chives and parsley.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 4

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Bringing back my Caesar Salad recipe that I make a few times a year.  It's fairly close to the original, anchovies and coddled egg included.  I think even better than the salad are the homemade croutons.

Caesar Salad 1.JPG

Ingredients-

For the Garlic Olive Oil-

2 cups extra virgin olive oil

10 cloves garlic, minced

For the Croutons-

1 loaf French bread

1/2 cup melted butter

1/2 cup garlic olive oil

For the Dressing-

1 1/2 cups garlic olive oil

1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice

1 oz. can flat anchovy filets

2 tsp. dry mustard

2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

1 tbsp. chopped capers

3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

1 egg lightly beaten

Salt and pepper to taste

For the Salad-

6-8 romaine hearts torn into large pieces

1 small head butter lettuce, torn into pieces

black pepper to taste

croutons

Instructions

Preparation-

Start by making the croutons. Heat the oven to 375. Cut the bread into thick slices, then into large cubes.  Spread the croutons in a single layer on a baking sheet.  Bake for about 6 minutes so they start to crisp. Remove and let cool.

Put the croutons in a large bowl. Combine the melted butter and 1/2 cup of the garlic olive oil in a bowl and drizzle over the croutons and toss to coat.  Season with salt and pepper.  Return the croutons to the baking sheet and bake again until they toast and turn golden, about 8-10 minutes.

Combine all the dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.  It's best to whisk the dressing by hand as a food processor is too fast and will thicken the dressing like a mayonnaise.

Just before serving, place the romaine and butter lettuce in a large serving bowl.  Add about 3/4 cup dressing, some croutons and Parmesan cheese and toss to combine.  Season with lots of black pepper.  Serve with extra croutons and Parmesan cheese on the side.

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

back to some pan seared dry aged hanger steaks. salsa verde- parsley, arugula, one clove of garlic, I small serrano chili, and one anchovy. 1/4 ripe avocado, olive oil and white vinegar and roasted cauliflower.

Brouilly in the glass

IMG_2512.jpg

IMG_2513.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

14 hours ago, David Ross said:

Bringing back my Caesar Salad recipe that I make a few times a year.  It's fairly close to the original, anchovies and coddled egg included.  I think even better than the salad are the homemade croutons.

Caesar Salad 1.JPG

Ingredients-

For the Garlic Olive Oil-

2 cups extra virgin olive oil

10 cloves garlic, minced

For the Croutons-

1 loaf French bread

1/2 cup melted butter

1/2 cup garlic olive oil

For the Dressing-

1 1/2 cups garlic olive oil

1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice

1 oz. can flat anchovy filets

2 tsp. dry mustard

2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

1 tbsp. chopped capers

1 egg lightly beaten

Salt and pepper to taste

For the Salad-

6-8 romaine hearts torn into large pieces

1 small head butter lettuce, torn into pieces

black pepper to taste

croutons

Instructions

Preparation-

Start by making the croutons. Heat the oven to 375. Cut the bread into thick slices, then into large cubes.  Spread the croutons in a single layer on a baking sheet.  Bake for about 6 minutes so they start to crisp. Remove and let cool.

Put the croutons in a large bowl. Combine the melted butter and 1/2 cup of the garlic olive oil in a bowl and drizzle over the croutons and toss to coat.  Season with salt and pepper.  Return the croutons to the baking sheet and bake again until they toast and turn golden, about 8-10 minutes.

Combine all the dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.  It's best to whisk the dressing by hand as a food processor is too fast and will thicken the dressing like a mayonnaise.

Just before serving, place the romaine and butter lettuce in a large serving bowl.  Add about 3/4 cup dressing, some croutons and Parmesan cheese and toss to combine.  Season with lots of black pepper.  Serve with extra croutons and Parmesan cheese on the side.

@David Ross how much of this dressing do you actually use at one time?  I find that garlic gets stronger as it sits.

Edited by scamhi
added a tag to the question (log)
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, scamhi said:

how much of this dressing do you actually use at one time?  I find that garlic gets stronger as it sits.

Was gonna ask the same or how many people does this recipe feed?

• Like 3

Tasty Travails - My Blog

30 minutes ago, Dante said:

hicken tacos with sour cream/lime/cilantro sauce, air fried seasoned potatoes, and yuca with garlic/onion sauce

I really have been yucca deprived.  Soon. Sauce detail?  I am good with plain  boiled but appreciate other iterations

4 hours ago, weinoo said:

Wellfleet's regulations for clamming are, shall we say, numerous, but I think you can still get a permit for recreational in specific areas. And the kids get plenty of clams and scallops in Provincetown - resident permits for recreational are pretty cheap; once when we were staying at the Red Inn, I got up one morning, it was low tide, and the beach was like covered with scallops. I couldn't believe it.

Yeah the scallops at low tide are so cool to see.  If you pick one up it starts snapping at you.  The permitting office is closed for the season, and I am never going back there again anyway after waiting in line for three hours to get a beach sticker a few years ago.  There were 12 people in front of me!  It was ridiculous.  Now I wait until after sticker hours are over to go to the public beaches and gladly pay for the local fisherpeople's harvest 🙂

Tonight, I had some haddock, and planned to cook it in a stew with leeks, fennel, and tomatoes.  But husband asked for a fish sandwich with remoulade.  So, fish sandwich it was.  Stew moved to Friday.  There won't be any fish in the markets tomorrow because the wind has been blowing gale force since last night.  Not sure what is going on, there is no system on the radar that I can see.

fishwich.thumb.jpg.c498fdc9ed0eaa467ccc8eb3b0549e26.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

Everyone's dinners have been looking amazing this week. I'd eat at any one of your houses! 

I've been very boring this week, a lot of the same, vegetable soup, salmon etc. 

But here are some things. 

This weekend, I made pasta e fagioli again and this potato, leek and green bean bake. I was looking for a new use for green beans because I am getting sick of them. They keep showing up in my CSA. 

746975869_IMG_9249(1).jpg.7d2a91a4ddc8ec97ceb0de9b067f192d.jpg

Then I made bialys for one night. I like smoked salmon, but I like other smoked fish better than I can't get here. So I usually like a thin layer of salmon. One day I will attempt my own baked salmon (the hot-smoked kind).

IMG_9339.jpg.79ab28eec1ca51e5847da360de3f21a3.jpgIMG_9341.jpg.2c0ea50fc58c5790dc0caa08a7fc3ab8.jpg

I've been envious of all your delicious Asian foods and Sunday I went to the Asian market and they had fresh noodles so I attempted to make a stir fry with whatever vegetables I had in the fridge, along with fresh cilantro and lime. 

IMG_9343.jpg.26abef26b3100bce648d8d817b0b6743.jpg

And finally, risotto alla Milanese, without the marrow and with my own stock. 

IMG_9194.jpg.6d560791eacbba6a9b0c263e554190da.jpg

Edited by ambra (log)
  • Like 18
  • Delicious 2

My long time favorite soba noodle salad. With cucumber, edamame, cucumber, marinated tofu. Sauce based on sesame paste, miso, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, lemon.

Baked tamagoyaki.

Stir fried green beans and mushrooms with ginger, wakame seaweed, mushroom sauce and soy sauce, chili.

PXL_20200921_185621063.jpg

PXL_20200921_185730434.jpg

PXL_20200921_185951777.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

1 hour ago, ambra said:

I was looking for a new use for green beans because I am getting sick of them.

Here are some of my favorites. I'll gladly share recpies if you'd like.

Lobio Satsivi - Georgian green beans with creamy walnut sauce, and optional scrambled eggs.

IMG_20190929_202608.thumb.jpg.f18a7e8fc45ef75a69c6075549e4f860.jpg

Curried green beans and eggs with yogurt.

Lima beans and green beans salad with roasted peppers and boiled eggs.

IMG_20200703_214236_1.thumb.jpg.b338eb7a9024c81a50a1963dde03649f.jpg

A som tum style salad. Green beans are often added as a secondary ingredient, with papaya being the main one. But you can use any crisp vegetable, I'm sure green beans will work as the main ingredient as well. 

IMG_20200717_144138_1.thumb.jpg.46972cf60d4746554bab1c55ca8872f3.jpg

In Chinese black bean sauce. Here pictured with broccoli and tofu, but it works with green beans and any protein just as well.

IMG_20200327_221118.thumb.jpg.b75f4776c80d0b0a7da3e37581987ac0.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

~ Shai N.

57 minutes ago, shain said:

I'll gladly share recpies if you'd like.

Thanks Shain! I would love that! I'd really love recipes for the soba salad above as I just bought soba noodles on Sunday. I may have to do without the miso though, as I didn't buy that. More locally, they sell dark miso in a giant container: do you know how long it keeps or how I can keep it by the way? I never know what to do with a giant container when I just need a couple of spoonsful. 

And also the green beans and mushroom stir fry. Randomly, I have fresh shitakes grown in the Sud Tirol coming in my box tomorrow. I'm very excited and was thinking of soup, but I haven't decided yet. 

• Like 1

@shain, your food always looks delicious. I am especially intrigued by this one...

1 hour ago, shain said:

Lima beans and green beans salad with roasted peppers and boiled eggs.

IMG_20200703_214236_1.thumb.jpg.b338eb7a9024c81a50a1963dde03649f.jpg

...in large part because I grew up loathing lima beans and I still have a knee-jerk reaction against them. I disliked pretty much all dried beans (pinto, black-eyed peas, kidney, and so on) as a child, but limas held a special spot of revulsion due to their mealy texture and lack of flavor. I think, however, that's the fault of the way we got them (frozen box, in a grocery store) and the way my dear mother cooked them. <Okay, rant over.> Your lima beans in the picture above look nothing like what I think of, and I'll bet they're good. What is the dressing on that salad? I'd like to try something like that.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown