• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

@liamsaunt – Cape Cod Reubens sound and look fantastic!  Care to elaborate?

@CantCookStillTry – thank you for the stuffing ball info.  A couple of questions, though – you say, “Roll into balls and cook for 20 mins in a little stock.”  Stove top?  Oven?  Temp?  I can’t wait to make these!  Also, I love beans on toast and so does my daughter.  We’re Americans but I was raised by an English stepdad.  Converted me to that and sprouts! 

@Shelby – that’s a good looking pizza, my friend!

@robirdstx – I love the crust that you get on your burgers.  Is that a grill?  Iron skillet?

@patti– I think your calzones look great.  No apologies.  We had frozen fried fish the other night and are eating Chinese leftovers tonight.  I’d love to have that calzone (pssst- what kind of biscuits?😁).

@Norm Matthews – I detest crunchy green beans!

We took a casserole I made out to Mr. Kim’s dad and stepmom on the weekend and I kept some back to make a small one for us – it was a chicken, rice, and green bean one from my great aunt’s church cookbook.  Baked without topping:

IMG_3546.jpg.17fb595a19cf1c68b27445a86f347c15.jpg

With Durkee onions:

IMG_3548.jpg.9680810e3ff243c9062dd6102f76ea2f.jpg

Serving:

IMG_3549.thumb.jpg.fe3265f5d8adb81e9abe94f531b485da.jpg

Just a creamy, comforting, country casserole (such alliteration!), but really good.  Served with a salad:

IMG_3547.jpg.33ebe372cff7d2cdc386ff6fea45a794.jpg

See those skinny reddish things?  Those are radishes out of Mr. Kim’s garden☹️.  His carrots look even worse☹️☹️We are hoping for better results from the fall planting of radishes. 

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

4 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

See those skinny reddish things?  Those are radishes out of Mr. Kim’s garden

Those are radish shoots, as in, "Shoot, these should have been fat radishes..."   😉

• Haha 10

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

47 minutes ago, Franci said:

For more than half the price, we decided we like better yellow jack fish than the wahoo (I am used to the greater amberjack in Italy and it is the same family)...also the kids liked it more. Weird kids I am raising 😁

Fish looks great. I don't think we raise our kids so much as we give them a bit of example and guidance and they find their path  ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

@robirdstx – I love the crust that you get on your burgers.  Is that a grill?  Iron skillet?

Thank you! We cook them on a very hot preheated steel on our outdoor gas grill. 3 ounce patties, smashed, cooked for about a minute, flipped and cooked for another 30 seconds. We love the crispy crust! We also love juicy burgers, but these are a different animal!

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, scamhi said:

pan seared wild salmon and 1/2 of a large cabbage sautéed with black mustard seeds, curry leaves, garlic, ginger, red onion and a couple of split serrano chilis.

With a light red wine

Interesting - I made a potato that's similar to your cabbage - I never thought of doing it with anything other than potato.  One thing I might say to add (after watching a million videos on Indian cookery) is asafoetida - what they call hing powder. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

Interesting - I made a potato that's similar to your cabbage - I never thought of doing it with anything other than potato.  One thing I might say to add (after watching a million videos on Indian cookery) is asafoetida - what they call hing powder. 

I learned the asafoetida lesson the hard way. Little Indian shop had beautiful fat cashews flavored with it. Pungent. Upon arrival home I left it outside and emptied it into a glass jar with a folded square of plastic wrap to make the lid more airtight. I only snacked on them alone at the picnic table. The complaints ceased. I also highly recommend playing with it. This Bon Appetit article by Priya Krishna gives a nice overview.  https://www.bonappetit.com/story/asafetida-indian-spice

• Like 2

6 hours ago, heidih said:

Air fryer or?

Yes. Breville Smart Oven Air on air fryer mode. Panko was pre-toasted before adding seasonings. Then 400f for 20 minutes. I thought they were a tad overcooked, but my wife said they were perfect. 

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

9 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Yes. Breville Smart Oven Air on air fryer mode. Panko was pre-toasted before adding seasonings. Then 400f for 20 minutes. I thought they were a tad overcooked, but my wife said they were perfect. 

pre-toasted - interesting.  Personal taste rules. 

@mgaretz  and @CantCookStillTry, thanks for making me less self-conscious about my low brow food effort! 

@Kim Shook- The biscuits were just a house brand from Albertsons, 8 in the pop open can. 

Stuffed peppers for supper tonight. 

DFB5CFE6-39F8-482C-AEA5-83BCD2985250.thumb.jpeg.2d9830bbbfff0d8b6ef2f349f94520dc.jpeg

I get the credit for the peppers, Costco gets the credit for the Mexican style corn. 

CFACB55E-6696-4ECB-9C01-8C39BFA011AA.thumb.jpeg.d48bd810641bd5ef892e00f5ee9db68c.jpeg

I also made a chickpea salad, but it lacked personality. I’ll fiddle with the seasoning and spice tomorrow. 

49DA9C10-E932-4B99-A8DE-C53608FDF72E.thumb.jpeg.a31418bb96e843d94eddb005bf90683d.jpeg

Edited by patti (log)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

10 hours ago, patti said:

thanks for making me less self-conscious about my low brow food effort! 

We aren't having a competition; just sharing our efforts.

And anyway, I have seen nothing you have posted that is "lowbrow" or you should feel embarrassed about.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

"The Boys" wanted "snacks" for dinner at their game night. I was annoyed and tried to stich them up... turns out the trick to learning chopsticks is to be drunk. 🙄 

Or your fellow tipsy friends do not notice when you tab a dumpling ir retrieve one that slipped away with your hands...

• Haha 3

On 9/24/2020 at 10:32 PM, Kim Shook said:

@liamsaunt – Cape Cod Reubens sound and look fantastic!  Care to elaborate?

It is just flounder coated in cornflake crumbs and then pan fried.  The slaw is cole slaw mixed with Russian dressing.  Add some swiss cheese, put everything on rye bread and toast it up in a skillet.

Cocktail: basil-infused lemonade, sparkling water, citrus vodka

siag.thumb.jpg.98b744990fba48f7e4d59ac82ba38d5e.jpg

Steak sandwich for my nephew

steakwich2.thumb.jpg.4c9f0409da19b97e920714aa06fe831a.jpg

Burrata-tomato salad

burrata.thumb.jpg.54237b062198d18ba59d80b14e536eec.jpg

Striped bass with garlic and mustard

2101320922_stripedbass.thumb.jpg.2449e63c9dd956bcd85a45299d70afe8.jpg

Sunset was pretty last night

friset2.thumb.jpg.6acd436910878310d7743c8a54b5ef6f.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 4

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

Huge sandwiches, salad and fries

thumbnail_IMG_8204.jpg.ebf8eee1f2aa2b07576c0b71ee542fbc.jpg

If you want to see a real huge sandwich, you need to go to a Jewish deli in NYC...  makes your look like a snack!  Then again, if you actually finish one of those whole pastrami or corned beef sandwiches in one sitting, I think you'd get a heart attack on the spot!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3