• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

2 hours ago, patti said:

I might should be embarrassed to post what I decided to make. It's kind of below the standards of this board, but I made calzones out of canned biscuits.

Pshaw...

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

7 hours ago, scamhi said:

just finished this dinner.

Pan seared domestic wagyu hanging tenders aka hanger steak.

with roasted broccoli and a nice wine

IMG_2474.jpg

Indeed this is a great wine. I'm curious what you thought of it and how it drank? 

Time to horrify some Americans (and probably a lot of other people too 😂!) 

This is what happens when you leave Dad in charge of dinner for a child thats been at soccer camp all day! The 2kg frozen solid lasagne that was first choice some how didn't unfreeze and cook in the alotted "cook fresh" time with an extra 10 minutes and 20 degrees 🤦‍♀️.

A starter of Beans on Toast. 

20200924_184938.thumb.jpg.7bbfc183eca2f5e548488ecfd84b414b.jpg

See @patti you had nothing to worry about 🤷‍♀️😂

Edited by CantCookStillTry (log)
  • Like 2
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 9

A sort of Indian chaat nachos.

Thin wheat flour dough with various whole spices, rolled thin, buttered and baked crisp.

Constructed with chickpeas, mozzarella (I wanted a clean milky flavor), onion, chilies, tomato, cilantro. A chaat masala of sorts, with various toasted spices, amchor, salt and a bit of sugar. Plenty of yogurt. Mint and tamarind chutneys. Sev.

PXL_20200914_183806562.jpgPXL_20200914_183728390.jpg

PXL_20200914_182207585.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 14

~ Shai N.

4 hours ago, ambra said:

Indeed this is a great wine. I'm curious what you thought of it and how it drank? 

@ambra I have been purchasing this wine since 2006.  The 2017 is young, dark fruited plum, cherry, cocoa, some mint and tannins are soft and acidity brings a lightness to the dark fruit.

• Like 1

The snack that became dinner.  Baked shrimp & celery toasts from Andrea Nguyen's Vietnamese Food Any Day

IMG_3083.thumb.jpeg.b387fc47aa9c97c8efeafbd25ee0a312.jpeg

I liked the Viet use of baguette slices instead of the white bread squares more common in Chinese shrimp toast.  Brushing the bottoms with the butter/oil mix really does give them that crispy fried base without turning them into little oil bombs as can happen sometimes when frying. The celery added a nice crunch and lightness and didn't go all watery like I feared.  Good recipe.  Similar to this one from her previous book except for the add of chopped celery & paprika sprinkle and a quick broil to puff them up once the shrimp has cooked. 

• Like 19
  • Delicious 1

3 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

more common in Chinese shrimp toast

I was thinking about this the other day. I've lived in China for 24 years and have never, ever come across shrimp toast. It may exist somewhere, but...

I have come across Ms. Nguyen's open sandwich things in Vietnam though.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

9 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I was thinking about this the other day. I've lived in China for 24 years and have never, ever come across shrimp toast. It may exist somewhere, but...

I have come across Ms. Nguyen's open sandwich things in Vietnam though.

Because it often shows up at dim sum, I always figured it was a Cantonese sort of thing but maybe it's just a US dim sum oddity.

17 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Because it often shows up at dim sum, I always figured it was a Cantonese sort of thing but maybe it's just a US dim sum oddity.

I never saw it in Hong Kong but I was only there a week and had dim sum maybe 8 times. Not that I was actually looking for it mind you...

Still had green beans and tomato from the farmers market so we had those with grilled ribeye steaks.  Charlie had his with mac&cheese. Mine was a nuked potato.  The green beans were done in a couple minutes in the Instant pot.  Neither of us like crispy green beans.

20200924_172703.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 10

For my nephew, brother, husband, and brother in law: grilled Snake River Farms ribeye tenderloin with ramp butter (I made this butter back in the spring and froze it in a log), roasted broccolini, and mashed potatoes.  This was supposed to be yesterday's dinner, but adaptation is sometimes required.  You will have to trust me when I say the steak was perfectly medium rare.  I cannot ask the group of people who could care less about food photos to hold up while I take multiple pictures 🙂

steak.thumb.jpg.017f5dc5cd062d1c2b4f073dd152faca.jpg

No chance I was eating that dinner.  The last time I ate beef, I was 15.  I don't care if others like it, and I will cook it for them, but it is not for me.  Instead, I made a tomato sandwich with the last heirloom tomato from my CSA. I only ate half, and my brother in law has already claimed the other half for a midnight snack.  

maters.thumb.jpg.f8af41bec2c53f7e86c287bb8edda274.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

For more than half the price, we decided we like better yellow jack fish than the wahoo (I am used to the greater amberjack in Italy and it is the same family)...also the kids liked it more. Weird kids I am raising 😁

91C4B9BD-1B19-4D22-8A2F-1B3872C2C620.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 2