• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

@Captain – that is one gorgeous Yorkie!  It looks like the fricken Hollywood Bowl!

Those ribs that @Norm Matthews made inspired me to look up a recipe for Daeji Kalbi.  It sounds fantastic except for the gochujang.  I know for sure that that would make the sauce too hot for me (I have issues with BBQ potato chips to give you an idea of my heat level tolerance).  Does anyone have an idea of a substitute that I could use for gochujang (keeping in mind that for me, “mild” is too hot)? 

@Shelby – are those subs on onion rolls?  My favorite sandwich roll for me whole life!

A couple of nights ago, I did a recipe that Mr. Kim found on Delish.com for French Onion Chicken – it’s all done stove top.  Caramelized onion, garlic, thyme, S&P, chicken breast, flour, and beef broth:

IMG_3494.jpg.2ad1c8b3094c784f3029d208d8bcc383.jpg

Topped with Gruyere and parsley: 

IMG_3496.jpg.0f88ade34d4846c5555525bb00785f48.jpg

It was…ok.  With all those ingredients I had high hopes.  It may be my impaired palate because Mr. Kim seemed to like it.  I just found it dull.  Interestingly, we had the leftovers for dinner last night and it tasted much better to both of us.  Served with salad, @Marlene’s Crispy Smashed Potatoes, butterbeans, and some of @Shelby’s bread to mop up the sauce:

IMG_3495.jpg.214f2456726c34d89ac273909c8911ad.jpg

IMG_3497.jpg.a8355a3fcb8c4522233d60d380a1bc5c.jpg

IMG_3498.jpg.0bf70c946518e702014a4d9d9f8dabf5.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

31 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Those ribs that @Norm Matthews made inspired me to look up a recipe for Daeji Kalbi.  It sounds fantastic except for the gochujang.  I know for sure that that would make the sauce too hot for me (I have issues with BBQ potato chips to give you an idea of my heat level tolerance).  Does anyone have an idea of a substitute that I could use for gochujang (keeping in mind that for me, “mild” is too hot)? 

This is sorta the unspicy version. You get the fermented bit of funk and umami w/o chile.  https://www.karmanfoods.com/products/korean-soybean-paste-doenjang?

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I am thinking miso paste. There's the white miso and the red miso. Neither are spicy. Looks like @Heidi's suggestion is soybean-based as well, but is a Korean product.

• Thanks 1

Came home. Got dinner request for Schnitzel with Bratkartoffeln. Had not a single ingredient in my home (excoet for salt & flour) ... 🙄

A supermarket visit (and some cooking time) later family was happy !

3499D4D1-963D-4CC9-B92A-8AAD8D562BDD.thumb.jpeg.cb76853aad102523e2a4ed6f1df5b7b1.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

22 hours ago, heidih said:

Your blue fin explanation is much appreciated. As people who love good seafood - sustainable fisheries are a big deal.

Curious about the kohlrabi som tum - texture wise I get it but how did you manipulate the acid/sweet? 

I used this recipe, but without the dried shrimp (can't have crustaceans right now as my nephew is with us, his college is remote this semester) and no green beans, as I do not have any at the house.  I used the juice of 1.5 limes to get the acid right.  I also had to swap in brown sugar for the palm sugar--I have palm at home, but did not think to bring any to the Cape.  Do you know what else I forgot to bring?  Parmigiano Reggiano cheese!  I am an idiot.   I have a curbside grocery pickup scheduled for tomorrow and am getting some then.

https://www.thaitable.com/thai/recipe/green-papaya-salad

Tonight, linguini with clams

902627622_linguiniwithclams.thumb.jpg.e7d6712d18ba3e651159a58af90dce0c.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

1 minute ago, liamsaunt said:

I am an idiot.

You are NOT an idiot.  You have TONS on your plate --no pun intended--cooking for all of the people that won't eat one thing or another.  On top of all the other things I'm sure you have to do.  You're doing great!

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

I used this recipe, but without the dried shrimp (can't have crustaceans right now as my nephew is with us, his college is remote this semester) and no green beans, as I do not have any at the house.  I used the juice of 1.5 limes to get the acid right.  I also had to swap in brown sugar for the palm sugar--I have palm at home, but did not think to bring any to the Cape.  

https://www.thaitable.com/thai/recipe/green-papaya-salad

Have you ever had it with the little adorable fresh water salted crabs? I watched the ladies pounding som tum in thosewooden deep mortars at the Thai Temple. Took a deep breath and tasted - liked it better than dried shrimp We had  beach rental once north of here. The bats were hunting the sand crabs and making a mess at night on the patio. There were tons at waters edge. My Vietnamese  friend I and  seriously considered using them in a similar fashion. The men rebelled. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

We ordered in Vietnamese for dinner, but I had to make it feel like we were in Saigon. From the garden... I didn't even make a dent!

20200918_183801.thumb.jpg.83192b778d8fd189f8238383ee1c9ad8.jpg

Oh beautiful - I am jealous. Our water and weather situation kinda sucks. They are telling us to limit water as it uses electricity at pumping stations.  

• Like 1

So Rosh Hashanah dinner, interrupted by the sad news of the death of a great and brilliant Jewish woman. 

481952331_Chickenmatzohballsoup09-18.jpeg.9e752d75257afed8b29cfe0fedda7e0c.jpeg]

Really one of my best chicken soups ever.  Using my favorite bird, poulet rouge, a couple of backs, a few wings, necks, etc. etc. And then poaching 2 thighs in the stock prior to service upped the chicken-y flavor even more.  The matzoh balls are cooked in salted, boiling water early in the day, then added to the soup for like 10 minutes before plating. Just great - Significant Eater said she could just have this for dinner. Multiple servings, that is.

522901925_Potatokugel09-18.jpeg.3b4e9780ee3906987a1c5f4f304069df.jpeg

The potato kugel also came out very nice.  I squeezed the living hell out of the potatoes and onions after they were grated, and used the potato starch gathered from that, with some additional.  Since I only had a schtickle of chicken fat available, the schmaltz was mostly duck fat that was collected from a batch of confit. Oh - that didn't hurt one bit here, nor in those matzoh balls.

432272057_Tsimmesplated09-18.jpeg.188d11f8ae5ec4d645d0f7e17824a1f0.jpeg

The dish which causes even Talmudic scholars to wonder what all the fuss is about (some might get the reference).  But lemme say, for a dish that we don't like, this one came out okay.  No prunes, just dried apricots, raisins, cranberries, and sour cherries. Sweet potatoes, carrots and onions were the fresh veg. And in lieu of orange juice (which many recipes call for and I didn't have), I used riesling and stock, with a tiny bit of brown sugar. No honey was harmed in the making of this tsimmes. I liked it more than she, but still - it worked.

367914982_Brisketkugel09-18.jpeg.8f2d308e955f358719c891bacebda69a.jpeg

Brisket, its gravy, and kugel. We drank a Cabernet from our wedding year. 

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

In a normal year a guest would offer to bring tzimmes, so the host would never have to make it. Some at the table would wax nostalgic, others would remember the prunes and stay away. @weinooyou are to be congratulated for doing every course yourself. I'm with SE--completely happy with matzoh ball soup, several bowls of it. RIP RBG. If only you could have hung on another couple of months. I know you tried.

• Like 6

On 9/14/2020 at 11:10 PM, heidih said:

Thanks you reminded me of a good thing I tell parents who lament about kids and vegetables. Sometimes just think color wheel. Mine had a phase of no cooked veg. Colorful fruit like cantaloupe worked for us. "Rules" - meant to be massaged. 

Yes, I knew I needed something green, but it just didn't happen. My mother insisted that every meal have something raw for "crunch," as she put it.  I do love some good crunch. Sigh. Miss you, Mom!

@Kim Shook - I'm glad the baked fries worked out for you! I will definitely be doing them again.

A few days ago I had some leftover meat from tacos at lunch, so I created "taco potatoes." Turned out to be a tasty creation!

367144470_tacopotatoes.thumb.jpg.a55f1440b028c41b6138a5564acae330.jpg

Chicken salad with apples, toasted pecans and homemade croutons.

1148297866_saladwithpecansandapples.thumb.jpg.9def06f0003fbdcd6348919fbf94f8a2.jpg

Grilled cheese on rye with tomato soup (Raos Tomato Basil)

1394950336_grilledcheesetomatosoup.thumb.jpg.e7ac71328ac11442c734364265a7f890.jpg

I am a risotto novice and have struggled to get it creamy enough. I'm almost there! The first two pics are my first attempts, and the third is last night's.

Risotto with king crab

1889444890_risottowithkingcrabmeat.thumb.jpg.a09d68e4b37183caf54b3b05e5c9aeba.jpg

Risotto with scallops

1362016662_risottowithscallops.thumb.jpg.86d4f8df4cfb003a3d384658e6f4b5e7.jpg

Risotto with shrimp

1779260826_risottawithshrimp.thumb.jpg.2ce6c4ab3ce4b5c654d44d405f20ade1.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 5

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

6 hours ago, weinoo said:

So Rosh Hashanah dinner, interrupted by the sad news of the death of a great and brilliant Jewish woman. 

481952331_Chickenmatzohballsoup09-18.jpeg.9e752d75257afed8b29cfe0fedda7e0c.jpeg]

Really one of my best chicken soups ever.  Using my favorite bird, poulet rouge, a couple of backs, a few wings, necks, etc. etc. And then poaching 2 thighs in the stock prior to service upped the chicken-y flavor even more.  The matzoh balls are cooked in salted, boiling water early in the day, then added to the soup for like 10 minutes before plating. Just great - Significant Eater said she could just have this for dinner. Multiple servings, that is.

The potato kugel also came out very nice.  I squeezed the living hell out of the potatoes and onions after they were grated, and used the potato starch gathered from that, with some additional.  Since I only had a schtickle of chicken fat available, the schmaltz was mostly duck fat that was collected from a batch of confit. Oh - that didn't hurt one bit here, nor in those matzoh balls.

The dish which causes even Talmudic scholars to wonder what all the fuss is about (some might get the reference).  But lemme say, for a dish that we don't like, this one came out okay.  No prunes, just dried apricots, raisins, cranberries, and sour cherries. Sweet potatoes, carrots and onions were the fresh veg. And in lieu of orange juice (which many recipes call for and I didn't have), I used riesling and stock, with a tiny bit of brown sugar. No honey was harmed in the making of this tsimmes. I liked it more than she, but still - it worked.

All are some of my favorite foods! :)

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

8 hours ago, weinoo said:

Fabulous looking meal!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, patti said:

I am a risotto novice and have struggled to get it creamy enough. I'm almost there! The first two pics are my first attempts, and the third is last night's.

Are you using vialone nano rice for your seafood risotto?  It's the rice generally used in the Veneto region for their risotto.  In lieu of that, try carnaroli.  Either should give you creamier rice than arborio, as will using more liquid.

• Thanks 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

2 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Are you using vialone nano rice for your seafood risotto?  It's the rice generally used in the Veneto region for their risotto.  In lieu of that, try carnaroli.  Either should give you creamier rice than arborio, as will using more liquid.

Thanks, I have not tried either of those, and hadn't heard of carnaroli until a few days ago, while watching a YouTube on risotto preparation.

Will it be heresy to try an Instant pot recipe that I've heard makes great risotto? I still have some arborio left and may use it that way.

• Like 1

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

Just now, patti said:

Thanks, I have not tried either of those, and hadn't heard of carnaroli until a few days ago, while watching a YouTube on risotto preparation.

Will it be heresy to try an Instant pot recipe that I've heard makes great risotto? I still have some arborio left and may use it that way.

I don't think anything is heresy if it ends up tasting good.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Air fried chicken with a pickle brine brining (from my own homemade pickles), buttermilk marinade, seasoned rice flour coating, and bourbon/maple/butter drizzle to finish, topped with a mayo/mustard/bbq sauce. Side of steamed rapini.

20200919_190515.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

14 minutes ago, Dante said:

Air fried chicken with a pickle brine brining (from my own homemade pickles), buttermilk marinade, seasoned rice flour coating, and bourbon/maple/butter drizzle to finish, topped with a mayo/mustard/bbq sauce. Side of steamed rapini.

Hi Dante, intriguing! Could you please say more about how this dish was compiled?

On 9/18/2020 at 7:51 PM, heidih said:

Have you ever had it with the little adorable fresh water salted crabs? I watched the ladies pounding som tum in thosewooden deep mortars at the Thai Temple. Took a deep breath and tasted - liked it better than dried shrimp We had  beach rental once north of here. The bats were hunting the sand crabs and making a mess at night on the patio. There were tons at waters edge. My Vietnamese  friend I and  seriously considered using them in a similar fashion. The men rebelled. 

No, I never have.  That would not be an option right now anyway, as my nephew is also allergic to crabs.  His lobster number is zero as he has had no exposure, so we make that sometimes in rolls with pre-picked meat, or meat we pick ourselves outside, but never, ever boiling from raw.

I had to go get a grocery curbside pickup at 4 PM today, and the closest supermarket is 30 minutes away, so we were very hungry by the time I got home.  I had planned to make seafood pizza, but that idea got shunted to tomorrow.   Instead, takeout from Blackfish in Truro, tuna bolognese

61865311_tunabolognese.thumb.jpg.20338bda044f6df1f4d492438bea2989.jpg

Everyone wanted this (except my nephew, he got a burger haha).  I should have ordered three entrees to split five ways, we have so much left over!  

And tonight's sunset from the deck, just as a bonus 🙂

sunset.thumb.jpg.e094c5b1abf7f69dca64fab79d7b7a74.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2