• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

2 hours ago, heidih said:

Nice mix of flavors and great char on the corn.  I started using coconut oil when grilling it - the jar in the fridge was giving me the evil eye.  Your color palette, as always,delights and the flavors surely pleasing to the palate.  (I think the smoke is making me loopy...)

Thanks! Coconut is great at highlighting the sweet fruity notes of fruits and vegetables. For grilled corn, my favorite is still mayo, it develops a richer grill flavor than pure fats.

~ Shai N.

Took a “safe” road trip on Sunday and it is amazing how tired sitting in a car all day can make you.  Mr. Kim had to be on the computer for work, but I spent most of the day on the couch in front of the TV on Monday!  Dinner was tuna salad sandwiches on rye toast and canned tomato soup.  With some fresh asparagus for Mr. Kim (done in the CSO):

IMG_3458.jpg.2110ff234265474705519b36b32c755d.jpg

IMG_3460.jpg.a2c08b562841fa71c678777083fdc536.jpg

IMG_3459.jpg.8cbaf1ca88a56ca467c0d76157db7523.jpg

Last night I made @patti's oven fries for dinner last night.  They were excellent – the best I’ve ever had.  The two of us at this entire pan all by ourselves:

IMG_3481.jpg.34443f7d81e52dcdf5c860320331f221.jpg

Thank you, @patti!

We also had salad with Momofuku dressing:

IMG_3480.jpg.3e750f59502bf8d32464eb0311a4d723.jpg

And fixed up Sloppy Joes:

IMG_3482.jpg.81c66e0a21782a3b8581a087328881de.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

45 minutes ago, shain said:

Thanks! Coconut is great at highlighting the sweet fruity notes of fruits and vegetables. For grilled corn, my favorite is still mayo, it develops a richer grill flavor than pure fats.

Interesting. We do it here after - think elotes. Will try grilling with it. I remember the recipe sign on the fish counter at a local "Pacific" Market  that showed mild white fish coated  in flavored mayo. Kinda like this https://www.cookinghawaiianstyle.com/hawaiian-recipes/recipes/detail/2663/island-style-mahi-mahi

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

Grilled halibut in a special spice blend one of my friends on St. John makes...it is so good.  Buy it... https://store.stjohnspice.com/products/Cruz-Bay-Grill-Rub.html salad, and olive oil roasted new potatoes from my CSA box that I brought to the Cape

Interesting. It says dry rub so are the onion, roasted garlic and peppers - dry powder? Appealing combo. 

Hello, finally moved into a new house! We are going to be grilling very often I am guessing 😄. As some of you might have seen  on the other thread, we got fish directly from the boats. Super fresh, the octopus no, it was previously frozen. Very nice dinner. 

220C44E0-52BF-4751-A56E-52A7B8DA0AFA.jpeg

583E1C64-A9A5-45A8-82D4-82D28EC7C225.jpeg

28EB057C-97E5-4725-8194-09319D73EC76.jpeg

E308ABC6-DCD5-4A8D-8838-03D7198E2E7C.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 2

13 hours ago, heidih said:

Interesting. It says dry rub so are the onion, roasted garlic and peppers - dry powder? Appealing combo. 

Yes, it is a dried blend.  You mix it with lime zest and juice, soy sauce, and olive oil to make a marinade.  It is really, really, good.  It works on chicken too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Everyone’s meals look amazing this week!

@Shelby, thank you tons! It’s just been the same old, same old meals around here. 

@Franci, love grilled fish! Congrats on the move!

@liamsaunt, those potatoes look amazing, did you just coat them in oil and roast? Or boil first? 

@Captain, that Yorkshire is a thing of beauty!

So here you have pasta e ceci. I used fresh trofie, because that’s what I had, it’s not its usual pasta. After you boil the chick peas, you saute garlic in olive oil, add rosemary, add the ceci, add the cooking water. Then you puree half the chick peas, add the pasta to the same pot, add the pureed chick peas back to the pot, let the pasta cook through, adding water as needed. Finish with raw oil.

IMG_9033.jpg.75e0640af1719ac7c4849c2f7f74f5cb.jpg

Then you have passata di verdure, which is just minestrone (onions, carrot, celery, zucchini, tomato, cabbage, Borlotti beans, leek, chard, some kind of orange squash/pumpkin) that has been hit with the immersion blender. It might look unappetizing, but we like it. 😉  My son likes more pasta than soup, so this was his portion, but we like more soup that pasta.

IMG_8640.jpg.8e296162c1baa5db4d8835f221c36e8b.jpg

This was our tester/taste of what was going to become Sabich sandwiches. We used a mini pita to make sure the sauces were right. The tahina was thinned out after this and the amba was left as is (was deciding to leave it on the chunky side or run it through the blender). The picture of the whole sandwich came out too blurry. :(

IMG_9051.jpg.1e9791a592954b9f4b0ffae94eb57797.jpg

For dessert mini kiwis, called arguta kiwis here. They were delicious.

IMG_8675.jpg.9dbfcf6dddbbbc27a469dc10b5dc4116.jpg

Edited by ambra (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 2

6 hours ago, ambra said:

IMG_9051.jpg.1e9791a592954b9f4b0ffae94eb57797.jpg

A few suggestions for the sabaich. Obviously, it's only based on what I'm used to and you should follow your taste.

Consider:

- getting the eggplants darker.

- chopping the raw vegetables finely (they usually act as a condiments, not a main ingredient). Consider adding some raw onion. You can also add parsley.

- I assume the egg is hidden, but it might imply you may want to add more.

- most people add chopped pickles, usually cucumber.

- indeed the tahini looks thick, it should be quite runny and applied liberally, adding juices to be absorbed by the pita and eggplants. Make sure it is very lemony.

Your pastas look delicious. I don't really ever make pasta e ceci, but I do make ciceri e tria. I use a similar method to those you mentioned - blending the sofrito with some of the chickpeas.

• Like 2

~ Shai N.

8 hours ago, ambra said:

@liamsaunt, those potatoes look amazing, did you just coat them in oil and roast? Or boil first? 

I boiled them and then cut in half and roasted in olive oil and salt.

Tonight's Cape Cod dinner: Massachusetts bluefin tuna* sandwich with Thai chili sauce, kohlrabi tom sum thanks to an idea in the "food in a pandemic" thread.

641076125_tunasteak.thumb.jpg.5b3f879bad4d540054997897a278d577.jpg

*Massachusetts bluefin tuna is considered a sustainable local choice.  I am only mentioning this because in other areas of the country bluefin that swim in their waters is not considered sustainable, and I have gotten blowback on here in the past from people in other parts the country who may not realize that MA bluefin is fine to eat.  The season ends in a couple of weeks, and I probably won't have it again, because it is so rich.

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

I boiled them and then cut in half and roasted in olive oil and salt.

Tonight's Cape Cod dinner: Massachusetts bluefin tuna* sandwich with Thai chili sauce, kohlrabi tom sum thanks to an idea in the "food in a pandemic" thread.

*Massachusetts bluefin tuna is considered a sustainable local choice.  I am only mentioning this because in other areas of the country bluefin that swim in their waters is not considered sustainable, and I have gotten blowback on here in the past from people in other parts the country who may not realize that MA bluefin is fine to eat.  The season ends in a couple of weeks, and I probably won't have it again, because it is so rich.

Your blue fin explanation is much appreciated. As people who love good seafood - sustainable fisheries are a big deal.

Curious about the kohlrabi som tum - texture wise I get it but how did you manipulate the acid/sweet? 

8 hours ago, shain said:

A few suggestions for the sabaich. Obviously, it's only based on what I'm used to and you should follow your taste.

Consider:

- getting the eggplants darker.

- chopping the raw vegetables finely (they usually act as a condiments, not a main ingredient). Consider adding some raw onion. You can also add parsley.

- I assume the egg is hidden, but it might imply you may want to add more.

- most people add chopped pickles, usually cucumber.

- indeed the tahini looks thick, it should be quite runny and applied liberally, adding juices to be absorbed by the pita and eggplants. Make sure it is very lemony.

Your pastas look delicious. I don't really ever make pasta e ceci, but I do make ciceri e tria. I use a similar method to those you mentioned - blending the sofrito with some of the chickpeas.

Thank you so much for the notes! I will make sure to follow next round. (And yes, we did thin the sauce out a lot and use lots of lemon. I think my problem was precisely that I was scared to make it too runny, but this was way too thick. Yea, the egg must have been hidden. haha. I will definitely add more next time.) Thanks again,  I really appreciate it!

• Like 1

You cook all day, do you really feel like making dinner?

Well, there's this product...

942798519_SalsadiPomodoro09-17.jpeg.75cf87ca7cdb0b3fbf7afc37642faef4.jpeg

It's really wonderful, and I added the jar to a pan I had lightly sautéed a shallot and garlic in.  And made...

618686605_Pastawithshrimp09-17.jpeg.d7292bb04e3ca62a550c34336f9b5f46.jpeg

Casarecce with shrimp, olives, feta and tomatoes.  Salad alongside.

• Like 11

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

12 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Indeed - a good friend of mine, lives in Chatham,  fishes for these (recreationally) and some of the fish he's caught are big. And delicious. Good choice!

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

29 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Spicy Lemon Shrimp with Orzo

Shrimp fried with garlic, chilli and lemon zest. Finished with lemon juice and basil.

20200918_200404.thumb.jpg.ac00c12c13938e512e8247b17c8cd3b4.jpg

What's the rice you use?  Looks very long grain, almost Basmati-like in the first picture.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I've put up enough tomatoes so I'm back to making sauce for the freezer.  Probably doesn't "go" together but I was out of lettuce and wanted shishito peppers so I did those with elk meatballs and vinegar cucumbers and onions.

thumbnail_IMG_8183.jpg.5107e9d3fbf39eb41b3a646e16b89405.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8184.jpg.893cda11648465f95b98b8288c5bbe0e.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8185.jpg.f52504be99c762833fedfb33017d7fb6.jpg

Went to the store for lettuce and decided sub sandwiches sounded good so I picked up some deli meats.  I'm sure there were fries included.

thumbnail_IMG_8187.jpg.c74c3d15d3031d6a6429bdf5e5af859e.jpg

Fried up some catfish last night.  Decided to smoke some more mushrooms and I fried them too.  Worked well.

thumbnail_IMG_8188.jpg.2c72c5f808d39e1f008034d676f67333.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8189.jpg.74e637ad7ee13494b9f66f71ed4e9d55.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1