• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

8 hours ago, patti said:

Not pictured is a wedge of overdone cornbread, which ended up broken up into pieces like croutons. That was not the plan, but it’s what happened. 

Cornbread croutons are under-rated. I love the taste nd the texture :)Will admit they are often an "oops"  rescue

• Like 3

@Margaret Pilgrim – you’ve inspired me.  I need to cook Chow Fun again soon.

@robirdstx – your frittata looks lovely.  So often, I think they are much too dry and overcooked (even coming from “professionals”), but I’d love to sit down to that!

@Shelby – I’ve just gone to my recipe for Lasagna soup and added a note to get campanelle pasta next time I make it. 

@liamsaunt – all I can say is that your Cape cooking causes an occasion of sin in me.  I truly covet your lobster and scallop rolls.  I have a good friend in Sudbury who is thinking of buying a retirement home on the Cape and she is always after me to come visit (when it is safe again).  I am going to be sending her the pictures of your food and saying that is what I want to find when we come up north!!!😁

Mr. Kim’s stepmom is not doing well (they think a mini-stroke), so his brother is in town to visit with their dad and her.  I made a dinner for him to take out to them on Saturday.  Just a casserole (which she loves like the elderly Midwesterner that she is!), salad and rolls.  I did my grandmother’s prize-winning beef casserole: IMG_3399.jpg.a48f4f1fea9aedb775b39e287d3d4d14.jpg

She actually won 2nd place in a recipe contest held by the Greensboro (NC) Daily News and Record newspaper in 1973 for this recipe – I have the clipping with her cooking in some strange kitchen I’ve never seen🙂 .  This is basically Hamburger Helper – ground beef, shredded cheese, macaroni, tomatoes, cream of mushroom soup, etc.  I remember her making this when I was a little girl in the 1960’s, so this pre-dated HH.  This will get baked when they want it, so the cheese on top isn’t yet melted. 

Saturday’s dinner was a pull together of various leftovers:

IMG_3411.jpg.6cab06c381f901875b76466dbb5cb073.jpg

Broccoli salad, flank steak and gravy, and the same bread as that morning’s bruschetta, except with fresh tomatoes and Duke’s. 

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

Way behind on posting, so here are some recent dinners:

Baked a challah:

challah3.jpg.949927af5fb1cdec2b2ae0f6564802b3.jpg

Coconut curry chicken with basmati rice:

curry-chicken.jpg.afdc81d3660b21966747d7a88acad2db.jpg

Beef with snap peas in mushrooms gravy:

beef-snap-peas.jpg.a27fefc024bad5e0792a1a022041e07d.jpg

Tri-tip, cooked SV then seared, with leftover beef and snap peas:

tt-snap2.jpg.30e56e0caf98bf80dfb76fb07ff4699a.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

8 minutes ago, Paul Bacino said:

My mind now has Ron Popeil's image imprinted. I am quite visual. Off to watch something ridiculous to eradicate it. Not his product but the immediate thoughts went his way. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, KennethT said:

That rib eye is a thing of beauty.  Time and temp for the SV, and then how long on the grill? Did you chill in between?

Thank you.  Near 3 hours @52c and no real waiting time before searing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, heidih said:

Cornbread croutons are under-rated. I love the taste nd the texture :)Will admit they are often an "oops"  rescue

I was surprised by how much I liked it. Might have to do it on purpose sometime. :)

• Like 2

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

2 hours ago, patti said:

Not very pretty, but the meatloaf was moist and tasty. Baked sweet potato, cannellini beans with a little pesto, and cantaloupe. 

Thanks you reminded me of a good thing I tell parents who lament about kids and vegetables. Sometimes just think color wheel. Mine had a phase of no cooked veg. Colorful fruit like cantaloupe worked for us. "Rules" - meant to be massaged. 

A quickly made dinner. Noodles inspired by tantanmen, a Japanese take on dan dan noodles. The Japanese version is a sort of ramen, but I opted for a semi-soupy base.

Sesame paste, garlic, ginger, chili oil, soy sauce, black rice vinegar, zha cai, a little sugar and MSG. The noodles are spaghetti cooked in alkaline water. Mixed in are a scrambled egg and marinated fried tofu cubes. Peas, scallions, toasted sesame, and nigella seeds. The latter are quite interesting and unusual in this flavor profile, I strongly associate it with middle eastern / Mediterranean cuisine. I will experiment with them more in Eastern cooking.

PXL_20200907_192848149 (1).jpg

• Like 10

~ Shai N.

14 hours ago, heidih said:

My mind now has Ron Popeil's image imprinted. I am quite visual. Off to watch something ridiculous to eradicate it. Not his product but the immediate thoughts went his way. 

I think..I just created a still..

• Haha 1

Its good to have Morels

@Shelby I envy the bounty of Ronnie's hunting (aided by pups of course). Are the birds like the teal, doves, and quail very lean yet stand up to roasting?  A family friend (Texan) used to hunt a lot and offered my mom birds but she "ran for the hills"!

• Like 1

I didn't cook tonight, that's more relevant to the other thread on mojo, but I did put together the quintessential Australian ICBF to cook meal. Bread roll, Coleslaw, Rotisserie Chicken. 

20200916_173142.thumb.jpg.2a0cb45bef331fc56f91d980d24d1447.jpg

I was actually okay to cook, but hubby came home from the big town with a chook in a bag and the rest. Comfort food I guess. 

Edited by CantCookStillTry
G = c (log)
  • Like 11

Enchilada rojas. Home made corn tortillas. Pan fried and soaked in a sauce of grilled chilies, one grilled tomatoes, ancho chilies, garlic, and a few of spices. Filled with feta cheese and grilled onion.

Rice with toasted coriander, cumin and anise. Black beans. Grilled corn in coconut oil. Mango with lime zest and chili. Sour cream and luttace.

PXL_20200908_193034105.jpg

PXL_20200908_193056149.jpg

• Like 17
  • Delicious 2

~ Shai N.

5 minutes ago, shain said:

Enchilada rojas. Home made corn tortillas. Pan fried and soaked in a sauce of grilled chilies, one grilled tomatoes, ancho chilies, garlic, and a few of spices. Filled with feta cheese and grilled onion.

Rice with toasted coriander, cumin and anise. Black beans. Grilled corn in coconut oil. Mango with lime zest and chili. Sour cream and luttace.

PXL_20200908_193034105.jpg

beautiful, and the food surely 

Nice mix of flavors and great char on the corn.  I started using coconut oil when grilling it - the jar in the fridge was giving me the evil eye.  Your color palette, as always,delights and the flavors surely pleasing to the palate.  (I think the smoke is making me loopy...)

• Like 1