• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

@heidih – this was even MORE salty because it was the canister container that has multiple servings in it and no matter how much you shake it up, the last couple of servings always have more than their share of salt/seasoning.  Stovetop is one of those rare things that I think have actually improved over the years – it is less salty than it used to be and the seasonings taste fresher.  I hadn’t bought it for years, but my mom used it and when I tasted it a couple of years ago and found I liked it.

@patti– those do not look like oven fries.  They look great.  Will you share your method, please?

@Shelby – my MIL put a peach pie on FB yesterday and now I see your cobbler.  I have two bags of really good peach wedges in my freezer.  I believe I have an idea. 😁   

I made a genuine lost recipe for dinner on Tuesday.  My mother’s best friend, Gerry, made a summer salad that I always loved – even as a child.  It was chicken, macaroni, and pineapple, of all things.  When I was a young married, I got the recipe from her and made it every few weeks every summer.  I got out of the habit of making it and lost track of the recipe.  She passed away a few years ago and I thought I’d never have this again.  Then, about 5 years ago, I saw a recipe in Taste of Home magazine that seemed familiar.  I made it and, with some adjustments, it is almost exactly Gerry’s salad:

IMG_3365.jpg.de6aacbcd1957be63d95c5f209a0c944.jpg

Served with Poppaw’s green beans:

IMG_3368.thumb.jpg.f925ee16f5d75ac85cbc1ce2a37ac832.jpg

And yet another story.  My great grandfather, who was born about 2 weeks after his parents’ ship from Italy arrived in NY, used to “make” these beans: canned whole green beans + bottled “Italian” dressing😄.  It is still one of two ways I like green beans.

Salad with Momofuko ranch and a lovely late season nectarine:

IMG_3367.jpg.c3d58045422987c83a52c33e596b9ce1.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

Spanish American...

1282552323_Chickenpaella09-09.jpeg.adda48d9ec87ffd23b8afd04e5ae79c3.jpeg

Chicken paella - on the bone chicken thighs cut in halves.  I actually topped with some corn off the cob, in lieu of peas, once it was cooked and resting. Added a great dimension.

1518254525_Blueberrypeachcriso09-09.jpeg.f169e88302916d375d846727f19a3ec3.jpeg

Blueberry peach crisp. Less than perfect blueberries lend themselves nicely to this type of treatment.

• Like 16
  • Delicious 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Up at 4am as fire smell and crud was making me crazy so I pre-cooked pasta and  made sauce while kitchen my own for a brief period. I read this  https://www.seriouseats.com/2020/09/italian-passata-gives-you-fresh-tomato-flavor-all-year-long.html but for many years generic tomato paste with a spike of balsamic works for me. Saute onion, garlic in decent olive oil with oregano to lift  - add paste, black pepper, red pepper flakes, and water. No fish sauce as a boost not needed.  When I have kitchen access again will combine with some parm and call it comfort food. Needed. Oh a few remnant slices wandered in torn up for a cured meat boost.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@patti– those do not look like oven fries.  They look great.  Will you share your method, please?

Thanks!

After peeling and slicing the raw potatoes,  I tossed them very lightly in olive oil and a little salt, and spread them out on a parchment lined baking sheet, baking at 450 for 30 - 35 min, flipping mid-way. I salted again after removing from the oven.

I don't know if it affected the baking, but the potatoes went into a bowl of cold water as I was paring and slicing. After draining the water, I dried them off with a clean dish towel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

just cooking ....

not sure if for dinner, lunch, a sandwich ........ whatever.

bison meatballs baked in red sauce.   I would really rather sip the sauce like a soup but tried a meatball and it was very light.

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

2 hours ago, heidih said:

Those "noodles" look like dumplings?

Okay, so it's noodle soup with dumplings on top. There are noodles underneath. You can see a bit peeking on the lower left side! 😁

Edited by patti (log)
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, patti said:

Thanks!

After peeling and slicing the raw potatoes,  I tossed them very lightly in olive oil and a little salt, and spread them out on a parchment lined baking sheet, baking at 450 for 30 - 35 min, flipping mid-way. I salted again after removing from the oven.

I don't know if it affected the baking, but the potatoes went into a bowl of cold water as I was paring and slicing. After draining the water, I dried them off with a clean dish towel.

That certainly will impact the end result as you are removing starch and drying the tater.

What type of spuds did you use?

I tried making oven fries the other day out of some new (gold) potatoes from the farmers market, they stayed crisp on edges for all of 1 minute before going limp.

Too much moisture in new potatoes, methinks....

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

Nice pics above!  Are folks using their phones or 'real' cameras - DSL, point and shoot, other?

I can only imagine many of the beautiful shots are taken using DSLR's...

I have yet to bust out my D600 for food pics, it is just too much of a process!  Perhaps one day I will upgrade to a Nikon unit with built in wifi...but probably not....this thing is still a beast!

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

That looks nice - care to share the recipe ?

Sure. It's from Marion's Kitchen.

Spicy Peanut Noodle Soup

INGREDIENTS

3 tbsp vegetable oil

3 garlic cloves, finely chopped

3cm piece ginger, finely chopped

1 tsp chilli powder (or to taste)

1 tsp sweet paprika

200g (7 oz) pork mince

2 tbsp crunchy peanut butter

2 tbsp soy sauce

1 tbsp vinegar

5 cups chicken stock

400g (14 oz) cooked noodles

12 frozen dumplings

Finely sliced spring onion (scallions), to serve

INSTRUCTIONS

STEP 1
Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, ginger, chilli and paprika. Stir-fry for half a minute. Then add the pork and stir-fry until almost cooked. Add the peanut butter, soy sauce and vinegar and stir-fry for about 2 minutes or until thick and bubbling. Add the chicken stock and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Taste and season with extra soy sauce or salt to taste.

STEP 2
Cook dumplings in boiling water according to packet instructions.

STEP 3
Divide pork soup among serving bowls. Add cooked noodles and top with dumplings. Sprinkle with spring onion and serve.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, TicTac said:

That certainly will impact the end result as you are removing starch and drying the tater.

What type of spuds did you use?

I tried making oven fries the other day out of some new (gold) potatoes from the farmers market, they stayed crisp on edges for all of 1 minute before going limp.

Too much moisture in new potatoes, methinks....

I have a tendency to use whatever I have on hand,  which is not necessarily the recommended potato for the job. These were red potatoes.

56 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

Nice pics above!  Are folks using their phones or 'real' cameras - DSL, point and shoot, other?

I use an iPhone. 

(I probably should respond to questions in one post, rather than three, but not sure how to triple quote at this point. It's been quite some time since I posted regularly at eGullet.)

1 hour ago, Eatmywords said:

Phone camera for food pics. I'd take out my old mini DSL only for trips and events.

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

38 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

Thanks all!  I figured most were off phones.  I need a new one if only for better pics 😁

Cameras on phones are great now.  Sure, a good camera will give you more flexibility, but I find that my phone (or my wife's phone - she has a Google Pixel which has a great camera) shots are better than most of the images I get off of my 14 year old Canon prosumer digital camera.  My wife takes a lot of photos - she works as a freelance writer and includes many of her own images with her publications - many of which are in Forbes online and she's received a lot of good comments on the photos there.

• Like 1

@patti – thanks so much for the oven fries directions.  I’m planning on doing those soon.  You said you used “red potatoes”.  Does that mean they are new potatoes?  Have you used russets, and have you noticed any difference?  Sorry for all the questions.  They just looked so good that I want to make sure I get them right! (Right next to the “quote” is a + sign – I think that you can hit that for every post you want to directly address.  Someone will correct me if I’m wrong.)

I use my iPhone for photos but run them through my computer for a Picasa makeover before posting. 

Dinner was one of those rare meals where every single thing turns out really well.  Menu was SV flank steak, gravy, roasted cipollini onions, @Marlene's Crispy Smashed Potatoes, broccoli salad, and yeast rolls.  The flank steak was done at 133F for almost 3 hours and it was incredibly tender:

IMG_3383.jpg.77e1b3ffcc7778f57171a36e0a942378.jpg

Might do 130F next time.  The onions were so deeply flavorful and sweet.  Starting – just salt, pepper, butter, and onions:

IMG_3380.jpg.cace4a0a2a0faba95bc7f4416e6eb929.jpg

1F547D44-9CB8-453B-BD21-C6C1ECBAF7B8.thumb.jpg.eebfc14ba02d3989312716d91547895b.jpg

Broccoli salad:

IMG_3379.jpg.814cc7baccca127fcb89c451c119d4dc.jpg

I’ve made this and other versions over the years and all three of us thought this was the best I’ve ever made.  Not a clue why – though I did run short on bacon and end up adding some small diced Edward’s country ham.  Even the gravy turned out especially good:

IMG_3384.jpg.41fc84dfbed67caa4ceb14e49d819c25.jpg

The yeast rolls where store-bought, but they were our favorites from the Kroger bakery – pillowy and slightly sweet:

IMG_3388.jpg.eb203fba1bc1506b418f204b66d03da8.jpg

Plate:

IMG_3387.jpg.c6e628d038b8f9cd7fe7715afd3f497b.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 7

46 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

@patti – thanks so much for the oven fries directions.  I’m planning on doing those soon.  You said you used “red potatoes”.  Does that mean they are new potatoes?  Have you used russets, and have you noticed any difference?  Sorry for all the questions.  They just looked so good that I want to make sure I get them right! (Right next to the “quote” is a + sign – I think that you can hit that for every post you want to directly address.  Someone will correct me if I’m wrong. 

8CF11BE9-0FFD-44EF-B630-D57BE0CAB827.jpeg

• Thanks 1