• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

Chinese American!

970999823_MapoDoufu09-08IMG_2170.jpeg.1ec04333c55cb4ba87c94fca658ffbe2.jpeg

Mapo tofu - using Mala Project ingredients, this 3-year fermented bean paste is quite tasty. Pork subbed for beef, but I think either is OK.

209381547_Cornsaute09-08IMG_2169.jpeg.0f93d686802b0ec5e769ecf162eb6280.jpeg

Corn sautéed with heirloom cherry tomatoes and scallions in ramp butter.

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

Pork subbed for beef, but I think either is OK.

Beef is more traditional, but pork is often used, yes.

I shall remain silent on your "vegetable" accompaniment. No ramps in China, thank heaven. As for that yellow muck! (OK. Not very silent!)

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

4 minutes ago, weinoo said:

But wait, @liuzhou - I know about your love of corn, but what's wrong with ramps? I mean, it's garlic, leeks, scallions, all in the same family.

I have no objection to ramps at all, but the whole allium family is already confused enough. My local neighbourhood supermarket has about ten different varieties. One fewer suits me fine.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Zucchini stuffed with freekeh wheat with onions and baharat. In a sauce of yogurt with garlic, herbs, lemon.

Grilled vegetable patties (onion, tomato, mushroom) with garlic, eggs, feta cheese, smoked paprika, cumin, cinnamon, coriander, mint.

Grilled tomatoes, chili and onions with pomegranate syrup.

Turshi pickles, grilled pita breads, tahini and beer.

PXL_20200901_191845980.thumb.jpg.3b429c872a120c3c6d325b70ea11971b.jpgPXL_20200901_185516685.thumb.jpg.4f62655bd33ffa869ab70b9b3d612735.jpgPXL_20200901_191448978.thumb.jpg.12f0e113fa15b50d974d5b12d392247d.jpg

PXL_20200901_184928158.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

2 minutes ago, heidih said:

@Shelby Your zucchini soup looks interesting. A rough outline? I did visibly shudder that your beautifully fried flowers were drowning!

LOL!  We ate them quickly.

Super simple.  Dice 2-3 garlic cloves and an onion or two depending on the size of them.  Chunk up 2-3 zucchini or yellow squash.  Add chicken broth or veg broth.  Cover and boil until all veggies soft.  Blend with a stick blender.  Season with salt and pepper (I also use some Lowry's salt) and add a couple dollops of sour cream or glugs of heavy cream.  Blend again until smooth.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sunday night in the Berkshires. grilled chicken breasts, delicata squash roasted with olive oil and salt and then bathed in a red wine vinegar, water, garlic, 3tbl sugar, mint and chili flake sauce and another Israeli salad with white burgundy

IMG_8257.JPG

IMG_6022.JPG

IMG_6409.JPG

Edited by scamhi
forgot the sugar in the delicata recipe (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 1

9 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

@Margaret Pilgrim Artichokes! My CA born and raised husband loves and misses them. I’m completely unfamiliar with how to cook and eat them and what to dip them in. But I want to try! 

If you want to 'splurge' on yourself, make some fresh mayo with some really good (preferably fresh/free run and/or Organic) egg yolks.

Nothing beats a nice steamed choke dipped in home made mayo.

You can also kick the mayo up a notch and make an aioli - also delicious!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

I have no objection to ramps at all, but the whole allium family is already confused enough. My local neighbourhood supermarket has about ten different varieties. One fewer suits me fine.

I cannot imagine anyone who has had the fortune of tasting ramps in its various delectable forms to ever utter such blasphemy!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, scamhi said:

Sunday night in the Berkshires. grilled chicken breasts, delicata squash roasted with olive oil and salt and then bathed in a red wine vinegar, water, garlic, mint and chili flake sauce and another Israeli salad with white burgundy

IMG_8257.JPG

Lovely color on the delicata. I could eat just that with the simple but flavorful sauce you mentioned. Why the water?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, heidih said:

Lovely color on the delicata. I could eat just that with the simple but flavorful sauce you mentioned. Why the water?

the recipe calls for 100ml red wine vinegar and 50ml water to cut the sharpness of the vinegar.

Love what everyone put out over the Labor day wknd.  Such beautiful food!   Assisted the boss w this little cold anti/cheese board (she says these have been all the rage on her food board for styling bragging rights)........nothing house made just lots of organizing......the red pepper jelly could make asbestos appetizing.

2111612869_bbqapp.thumb.jpg.847c1647d82c3ed7290aa9b9573adbe6.jpg

Smoked kielbasa from a local polish deli, pesto tortellini, green goddess spin salad and pecan/panko crusted bbq salmon w a honey lemon dijon sc.   

2120131309_bbqsalm.thumb.jpg.9aac9df8cfc544cdf936d28ded87a143.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

That wasn't chicken

56 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Bacon-wrapped bbq chicken thigh (needed another bacon strip), burnt onion potato salad, zuke saute.

Can you elaborate on "burnt onion" - either you or somepne else used the term recently and I well - help me out. I will blame the ash in the air if I've fo

rgotten 

15 minutes ago, heidih said:

Can you elaborate on "burnt onion" - either you or somepne else used the term recently and I well - help me out. I will blame the ash in the air if I've fo

rgotten 

I large dice yellow onion, saute in peanut oil until black on one side. Takes forever and then goes really quickly.  I discard the really burnt ones and put the rest in yukon gold/mayo potato salad. salt. Splash of jalapeno vinegar.   Let it sit for 30 minutes at least. Its a strong flavor...probably wouldn't serve with a mild fish etc.

18 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I large dice yellow onion, saute in peanut oil until black on one side. Takes forever and then goes really quickly.  I discard the really burnt ones and put the rest in yukon gold/mayo potato salad. salt. Splash of jalapeno vinegar.   Let it sit for 30 minutes at least. Its a strong flavor...probably wouldn't serve with a mild fish etc.

Interesting. My kind of flavor.

Not a particularly pretty display, but I had leftover steak and wanted to try a Gorgonzola cream sauce. Taste is excellent, but I think I can do better.

1264447412_gorgonzolacreamsauce.thumb.jpg.2b17308f99db4685cc32743d1eabe860.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

Fried rice with shrimps, eggs, a little cabbage and onion, some garlic, chili, scallions, rice wine, light soy sauce.

For dessert, dousha (adzuki bean paste) guo bing. Crisp, lightly sweet, with strong sesame flavor that goes well with the chestnut-esque red beans.

PXL_20200906_183820531.jpg

PXL_20200906_185620510.jpg

PXL_20200906_190034162.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.