• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

Seems like a weekly occurrence (no complaints here!) - wild ocean trout sushi/sashimi

1720B7ED-8781-40DD-A902-1C9D75E77037.thumb.jpeg.e29b60aae561668861823fb744392b9c.jpeg

- broiled hamachi collar / seared ocean trout belly (home made ponzu not pictured)

6100E7E0-A7B2-4006-83BE-D8FD4780FBAD.thumb.jpeg.489b3c01be7e23fb5b130ba4b8a7f248.jpeg

blistered beans and enoki mushrooms from the farmers market 

83EC8267-5407-472D-8581-C96204982359.thumb.jpeg.3b89857af46eb223fa329d7c8082b14c.jpeg

alongside sushi rice and lots of tobiko 

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

Taking a Labor Day holiday from the kitchen, tonight's plate is truly American.

Mrs. Paul's fish sticks, Hellman's tartar sauce.steamed broccoli with Velveeta sauce, pan fried potatoes with off camera Del Monte catsup.

IMG_0262.thumb.jpg.13201dc3347d4a64616473889ca0bed2.jpg

Don't worry, I'll be back at work soon.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

eGullet member #80.

We went out for Indian in Curry Hill....

20200905_181854_HDR.thumb.jpg.2f39b280c203db6ff71447b11110316e.jpg

Someone with her mouth full of pappadum

20200905_182543.thumb.jpg.fa0cd1003974eeaa7ccc7bef3e21c4c1.jpg

Crab cakes - these had good flavor but so couldn't find any crab.

20200905_183920.thumb.jpg.6f6b464b01a7a1e939ff49f08617a78f.jpg

Shrimp with chili, spices, curry leaves and tomato, served with coconut rice.

20200905_183857.thumb.jpg.e5a2448e13fd3f2abad4cc5f97a43e4b.jpg

Dum biryani with goat. This was better than most I've had in NY but still didn't compare with the version in Siingapore...

• Like 17

2 hours ago, BeeZee said:

Grilled chicken breasts, corn (literally the first weekend my neighborhood Shoprite had fresh local corn), shishitos, yams.

1556F5D7-A644-47E0-9766-D72740B84CA9.jpeg

Last night here was Shoprite corn.  Pretty good, I must say -- and at 19 cents* an ear, not much to complain.  Even the Shoprite limes were acceptable.

Tonight is to be a reprise of angel hair with Italian clams...once I complete my mai tai.

*Indeed I know @liuzhou will explain corn is less expensive where he lives.

• Haha 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

408768968_TourtiereAugust30th20202.thumb.jpg.d0667156dc0588b62a7d129f0c17d788.jpg
Had lots of leftover chicken  gravy so Sunday before leaving for work, I made my pastry dough and the filling for a Tourtiere.
Just had to roll out the dough and bake the pie. One of Moe's favourites and I usually only make it for Christmas Eve.
1198111123_TourtiereAugust30th2020.thumb.jpg.893cdd33588fa50c4715d1496609aa44.jpg

Served with chicken gravy and broccoli.
1708517104_OxtailsandPolentaSeptember3rd2020.thumb.jpg.610e74c2bc7262a53a93d5fe3c980eff.jpg

Thursday we had Oxtails over polenta. .
77799516_GrilledGreekBabyBackRibswithGreekSaladSeptember4th20202.thumb.jpg.9ef311d824547dab69785338f3905680.jpg
and  last night's dinner was grilled Greek baby back ribs with Greek salad and rice.

• Like 15
  • Delicious 4

Fattah. Warm yogurt, lightly flavored with garlic, cumin, silan, lemon, sumac, olive oil. Some tahini. Hot tender chickpeas, fresh pita and crisp pita chips, tomatoes, chili, nuts, mint.

PXL_20200829_121709680.jpg

PXL_20200829_121743138.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

Looks like meat

x5HkBfE.jpg

SV-seared pig's liver. If I want to do something properly I have to do it myself... medium rare, like steaks. (Though I prefer my steaks between med rare and rare.)

HPgyClX.jpg

Seared Turkish figs. Sauce has balsamico, tamari, a bit of honey and chipotle.

f5aR72d.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

Last night was an attempt at Hong Kong style pan-fried noodles. The topping is stir-fried beef with bell peppers and onions in a black bean sauce.  My first try, so the browning can be improved upon, but I managed to get both sides crispy and I think the right amount of sauciness on the topping.

IMG_6057.jpeg

IMG_6059.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 4

Cognito ergo consume - Satchel Pooch, Get Fuzzy

Most of the time I keep burgers fairly simple, but this lamb burger was a little something more.  It's a lamb burger with Greek flavors, then a bed of cucumber raita and I came up with a feta fondue on top.  I really didn't want to add just a slice of cheddar or American, pepper jack didn't seem quite right, but I love feta with lamb.  Chunks didn't melt right, so I thought about a fondue style of feta drizzled over the top of the burger.  The raita and feta fondue are delicious on their own with crackers, bread or pita.

Greek Glamburger.JPG

For the Burgers-

12 oz. ground lamb

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/4 cup minced red onion

1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper

1 tsp. American Lamb Spice Blend email American Lamb for the spice blend

For the Cucumber Raita-

1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced

5 1/2 oz. plain Greek yogurt

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 tbsp. chopped fresh mint

1 tbsp. chopped fresh dill

1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice

1/2 tsp. lemon zest

For the Feta Fondue-

1/3 cup Feta cheese with herbs

1/3 cup cream chese

1 tsp. American Lamb Spice Blend

For the Burger Buns and Garnish-

2 tbsp. melted butter

1/4 tsp. poppy seeds

1/4 tsp. sesame seeds

shredded iceberg lettuce

sliced tomatoes

2 tbsp. French fried onions

Make the Cucumber Raita-

In a bowl, add the diced cucumber, Greek yogurt and dill and blend.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  You can make the Cucumber Raita ahead of time, keep covered in the fridge.

Make the Burgers, Garnish and Serve-

Heat the oven to 350. Brush the top of each Kaiser roll with melted butter and sprinkle with the the poppy seeds. Brush the bottom rolls with the melted butter. Place the rolls on a cookie sheet and toast in the oven for 2-3 minutes.  

Combine all of the burger ingredients in a bowl and thoroughly mix to combine. Form the burgers into thick patties. Heat the olive oil in a heavy cast-iron grill pan over medium heat and cook the burgers until done, about 5-6 minutes per side.

While the burgers rest, make the Feta Fondue.  Heat a small saucepan over medium heat.  Add the feta and cream cheese and let it melt. Season with the lamb spice blend and season with salt and pepper. If the fondue is too thick, thin with a little milk.

To assemble the burgers, add some shredded lettuce on the bottom bun, then a layer of sliced tomatoes. Spoon some chopped Cucumber Raita on the top of the tomatoes. Spoon some warm feta fondue over the top of the burger, sprinkle with crumbled feta, then garnish with fried onions and add the top bun.

I did these burgers on the stove-top in a cast-iron grill pan, but they are even better on the outdoor grill.  

• Like 10
  • Delicious 6

Squash blossom and chicken quesadillas with stuffed poblanos and beans

thumbnail_IMG_8151.jpg.12108fa64289877912cdbb63db1752f0.jpg

Derby day I rooted through the fridge and found some salsa that needed to be used, some thawed venison and tomatoes on the counter sealed the deal that chili must be made.  Deviled eggs because it's Derby Day tradition.

thumbnail_IMG_8152.jpg.36c16cb1167c49b78952424319a81832.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8153.jpg.f6636ded95aa9a70d48f4ffe16809c58.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, David Ross said:

Most of the time I keep burgers fairly simple, but this lamb burger was a little something more.  It's a lamb burger with Greek flavors, then a bed of cucumber raita and I came up with a feta fondue on top.  I really didn't want to add just a slice of cheddar or American, pepper jack didn't seem quite right, but I love feta with lamb.  Chunks didn't melt right, so I thought about a fondue style of feta drizzled over the top of the burger.  The raita and feta fondue are delicious on their own with crackers, bread or pita.

Greek Glamburger.JPG

For the Burgers-

12 oz. ground lamb

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/4 cup minced red onion

For the Cucumber Raita-

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 tsp. lemon zest

For the Feta Fondue-

1/3 cup cream chese

2 tbsp. melted butter

1/4 tsp. poppy seeds

1/4 tsp. sesame seeds

shredded iceberg lettuce

sliced tomatoes

Make the Cucumber Raita-

In a bowl, add the diced cucumber, Greek yogurt and dill and blend.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  You can make the Cucumber Raita ahead of time, keep covered in the fridge.

Heat the oven to 350. Brush the top of each Kaiser roll with melted butter and sprinkle with the the poppy seeds. Brush the bottom rolls with the melted butter. Place the rolls on a cookie sheet and toast in the oven for 2-3 minutes.  

Combine all of the burger ingredients in a bowl and thoroughly mix to combine. Form the burgers into thick patties. Heat the olive oil in a heavy cast-iron grill pan over medium heat and cook the burgers until done, about 5-6 minutes per side.

While the burgers rest, make the Feta Fondue.  Heat a small saucepan over medium heat.  Add the feta and cream cheese and let it melt. Season with the lamb spice blend and season with salt and pepper. If the fondue is too thick, thin with a little milk.

To assemble the burgers, add some shredded lettuce on the bottom bun, then a layer of sliced tomatoes. Spoon some chopped Cucumber Raita on the top of the tomatoes. Spoon some warm feta fondue over the top of the burger, sprinkle with crumbled feta, then garnish with fried onions and add the top bun.

I did these burgers on the stove-top in a cast-iron grill pan, but they are even better on the outdoor grill.  

Are you being modest?  This is your award-winning burger, is it not?  I can't wait to try this!  👏👏👏

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Are you being modest?  This is your award-winning burger, is it not?  I can't wait to try this!  👏👏👏

I can't wait for a video of him trying to eat it.

• Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, David Ross said:

Greek Glamburger.JPG

For the Burgers-

12 oz. ground lamb

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/4 cup minced red onion

For the Cucumber Raita-

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 tsp. lemon zest

For the Feta Fondue-

1/3 cup cream chese

2 tbsp. melted butter

1/4 tsp. poppy seeds

1/4 tsp. sesame seeds

shredded iceberg lettuce

sliced tomatoes

Make the Cucumber Raita-

Love the feta fondue. The flavors and accompaniments are great. I would prefer this on fresh Arabic bread in  series of small bites. Hard to eat as a burger. But cooking for ourselves gives us the luxury of pleasing ourselves. 

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

I saw a recipe called Creamy Garlic Chicken and it looked good but when I read the recipe just before going to the store, I thought it looked a lot like Chicken Florentine so I looked up some of those recipes and decided to do Giada de Laurentiis' recipe.  

I also wanted to try a new coleslaw recipe with tricolor slaw mix, pineapple and bacon. While I was making it, I suddenly had remembered that awful salad at every church social in the 1960s with cabbage, carrots, pineapple and lime jello.  I wondered if the person who made up this recipe was maybe the granddaughter of the person who made up that green jello salad.  I went ahead and made it with a little trepidation.  I figured if it was terrible, I wouldn't tell anyone.  The pineapple was just a slight addition to the taste and the bacon hardly noticeable.  Charlie said it was good.

20200906_162852.jpg

20200906_163221.jpg

20200906_163731.jpg

• Like 11
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

I saw a recipe called Creamy Garlic Chicken and it looked good but when I read the recipe just before going to the store, I thought it looked a lot like Chicken Florentine so I looked up some of those recipes and decided to do Giada de Laurentiis' recipe.  

I also wanted to try a new coleslaw recipe with tricolor slaw mix, pineapple and bacon. While I was making it, I suddenly had remembered that awful salad at every church social in the 1960s with cabbage, carrots, pineapple and lime jello.  I wondered if the person who made up this recipe was maybe the granddaughter of the person who made up that green jello salad.  I went ahead and made it with a little trepidation.  I figured if it was terrible, I wouldn't tell anyone.  The pineapple was just a slight addition to the taste and the bacon hardly noticeable.  Charlie said it was good.

Well ya omitted the lime jello so you are golden. Cabbage is such a sturdy player.  Not done bacon as it tends to dominate if you use smoky stuff.  but tart apples, craisins - many things find themselves in the mix. I think I mentioned before the study chewy Chinese noodles boiled in a soy broth. All the kids still remember fondly. These are kids with a well rounded palates. 

• Like 1

On Friday, I put together some Chicken Spaghetti to take to a fellow church goer and his mom (this is the guy who didn’t wear a mask and exposed us to Covid😠).  Before mixing:

IMG_3330.thumb.jpg.907629da6d82e3f2500c3da381329877.jpg

After baking:

IMG_3331.jpg.85be209f9207b39272c6b128d13745f6.jpg

This makes a LOT and so the plan was that half would go to them with bread and a vegetable to make 2 meals for each of them.  And half would stay with us a become dinner and leftovers.  Unfortunately, my MIL ended up back in the hospital and didn’t come home until yesterday.  So, I wrapped up the other half and Jessica took it out to them.   

Mr. Kim made a good salad tonight – with nuts and apples and much more interesting stuff than I usually manage:

IMG_3339.jpg.faf7963a5c6381e210635f727aadb9b1.jpg

Topped with Momofuko Ranch and fried rice noodles.  We had some leftover chicken from the chicken spaghetti, so I went with chicken quesadillas:

IMG_3338.jpg.0750a3d6c4c5c695ccdce1730a1ed0c2.jpg

(Mr. Kim’s with jalapenos). 

IMG_3341.jpg.80476b1a0507bbe22ca9e6ba686c4069.jpg

Jessica is doing our shopping since we are seriously quarantining again, and she got tons of broccoli.  I did @Marlene's Broccoli Gratin with Streusel.  Before the topping:

IMG_3335.jpg.fe0ed773bb697ace3e8e4b54a5369df6.jpg

Out of the oven:

IMG_3340.jpg.1db777d983b2281f21e748037c8ee6c0.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3

Steak, Chips & Salad for Monday Tea. 

Oven Fries - slightly over done, I have an air frier but couldn't be bothered fetching it out. Anchovy butter for the rib steak (lemon, wholegrain, anchovies, capers, garlic & onion). Beetroot, Carrot & Onion with Rabbit food for salad. 

20200907_194524.thumb.jpg.0f7dee79681c5a0043e8984de2faef7d.jpg

I tried the constant flip method for the first time for the steak, flipped every minute for 6 minutes total. I have to say, having been firmly camp don't touch, it wasn't bad. Although I probably wouldn't have burnt the chips if I had left it alone! 

20200907_194550.thumb.jpg.22c48dba0a982415415cd14296e526e2.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1