• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

Taken from a video... Last night was fry night... I took the leftover picadillo and made papa rellenos with them.. This was pulled from a video.so, terrible shot but, it was kind of perfect.. simply boil waxy potatoes, rice, flatten, stuffed with picadillo, ballify.. Flour, slurry, bread crumbs, fry. 

50301653646_9afcba189e_z.jpg

I also made a green sauce was a combo of cilantro, vegan mayo, lime, vinegar, cumin jalapeno and garlic served with fried yucca or the potato.. 

Green beans boiled in salted water, tossed hot with a mint, parsley, cashew pesto... Chana masala, a mix of kale and purple chard.  Tomato broth, wine, garam masala, garlic, onion, cinnamon.  White rice.  Twice frozen and then Fried tofu cubes soaked in a mojo and then breaded.  Potatoes boiled and tossed with a peruvian green sauce, san marzano tomatoes roasted in a low oven for 2 hours with garlic and shiso.   mixed green salad with a ginger soy dressing.  I was really happy with everything all in, it took the time of the kale to cook to make everything and there is enough leftovers to last a few days.. 

I forgot to take a photo until we were cleaning up leftovers. 

50304868811_fea145e794_z.jpg

• Like 8

@Margaret Pilgrim (or anyone), how do you prepare Israeli couscous?  My daughter-in-law gave me some Israeli couscous back before the pandemic and I have yet to try it.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

KISS.    If there are no better (intelligible) instructions on the package, boil in salted water until tender.    Husband said I could have let this boil a few more minutes, but it was not much more than al dente.

No package, no instructions.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

@Margaret Pilgrim (or anyone), how do you prepare Israeli couscous?  My daughter-in-law gave me some Israeli couscous back before the pandemic and I have yet to try it.

Let's hear from @shain.

But until we do, this is pretty informative. From Master Class...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Last night - burgers, macaroni salad, corn off the cob, sautéed in what has become my go-to this summer, ramp butter. With scallions and chives.

Two nights ago - leftover scarpariello, steam girl reheated.  Maybe it's me, but sometimes this stuff tastes better the 2nd time.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Made too much rice last night, so refrigerated it and tonight was shrimp fried rice. Also includes garlic, ginger, chilli, shimeji mushrooms, scallions, curry spices and turmeric. No egg or soy sauce - I am not a philistine!

20200905_191247.thumb.jpg.8af167238c0868d51f9daeab0a0bd6cf.jpg

20200905_191253.thumb.jpg.c5d1a8649ffe6ee94f243e3cbedcafae.jpg

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Drove up to a friend's county house for the weekend. Brought food for dinner with us. These steaks were frozen solid and in my yeti. in order to be defrosted for dinner we took to the dashboard defrost.

tomato salad with olive oil and salt, fresh corn with butter, and grilled steak.

red burgundy

IMG_2724.JPG

IMG_2712.JPG

IMG_3788.JPG

IMG_7447.JPG

IMG_3854.JPG

• Like 9
  • Delicious 7
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

The couscous pictured above is actually moghrabiah, Lebonese couscous.     Slightly larger than Israeli.    Cousins.

Fregula, maftoul, moghrabiah, Israeli couscous - it's a large family.

13 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

4 hours ago, weinoo said:

Let's hear from @shain.

I make it by toasting it in a pot with some fat until somewhat browned. I'll often add other browned onion or other vegetables.

dd boiling or hot water - 1 cup of water per cup of couscous (but it can change a bit with the type of couscous, and the pot width).

Add salt (I use 1/2 tsp per cup).

Bring to a simmer, cover and cook on the lowest flame for 20 minutes.

Stir well before serving.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

~ Shai N.

5 minutes ago, Dante said:

Semolina, ricotta,and dill dumplings, accompanied by sauteed Brussels sprouts and noodles with fried shallots and oyster sauce

What an inspiring combination! How did you find the pairing of oyster sauce and dill, as well as oyster sauce and ricotta?

~ Shai N.

2 minutes ago, shain said:

What an inspiring combination! How did you find the pairing of oyster sauce and dill, as well as oyster sauce and ricotta?

Thank you!  I'll confess that part of this was me throwing together what I could work with.  It all synergized remarkably well. If I were to do anything different, I'd have made it saucier somehow, as the dumplings, while tasty, turned out a bit on the dry side. 

• Like 2

Just now, Dante said:

Thank you!  I'll confess that part of this was me throwing together what I could work with.  It all synergized remarkably well. If I were to do anything different, I'd have made it saucier somehow, as the dumplings, while tasty, turned out a bit on the dry side. 

Thanks, I love seeing cusine boundaries broken. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

~ Shai N.

4 minutes ago, shain said:

Thanks, I love seeing cusine boundaries broken. 

Thank you!  I tend to be pretty eclectic.  Not much one for "tradition". Plus, my pantry tends to be pretty eclectic as well, so I have a pretty broad selection of stuff on hand. 

• Like 1