• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

26 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Fresh steamed sea bass finished Chinese style.  Baby bok Choi.  Haiga rice not shown (cuz who wants to look at rice!?)

Do you mean finished with a hot seasoned oil or?

Tuna and Egg Salad (with diced celery and red onion) on a Toasted Bolillo Roll ~ 

1DCED661-28B3-4458-99AF-999F974B2E39.thumb.jpeg.bdfe4526490ca15dd94a35cc906a52c8.jpeg

Mine with Sriracha Mayo and Chopped Romaine.

7D432DD3-0800-48FE-A84E-3EE2212E836B.thumb.jpeg.62df07deec619d5c35ff4c27c38046af.jpeg

His with Sriracha Mayo, Bread and Butter Pickles and Pickled Jalapeño Slices.

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 1

1 minute ago, robirdstx said:

Tuna and Egg Salad on a Toasted Bolillo Roll

I enjoy boiled egg in my tuna salad. I made a similar today with Krab (suppress laughter please) Added nuoc mam for moisture and flavor and went back to boil an egg. For tomorrow. .

Oh and those bolillo  can really work in a sandwich like that. Often baked in local markets -  super cheap.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, heidih said:

I enjoy boiled egg in my tuna salad. I made a similar today with Krab (suppress laughter please) Added nuoc mam for moisture and flavor and went back to boil an egg. For tomorrow. .

Oh and those bolillo  can really work in a sandwich like that. Often baked in local markets -  super cheap.

No need for me to suppress laughter about Krab.  I was taught to use it proudly by Doddie, otherwise known as @Domestic Goddess.  She was a Filipina, married to an American living in South Korea.  She gave me a recipe for a Krab and ham salad that I've been using for over 10 years.  She said that it was very popular in Asia and thought it was funny that Americans and Europeans disdained it.  

• Like 3

Mrs. Meshugana marinated some good looking tri-tip today, but it slipped my mind until late in the game. I wanted a long, slow cook but only had an hour.

So, one hour in a 170f oven, then a quick sear on the grill:

289E48B6-19FC-4D20-9F92-A4D6A1085D7C_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.2897ddc3fa93970b63b2bc929cd16dfd.jpeg

Turned out MUCH better than I was expecting.

130331891_2(2).thumb.jpeg.6b16c14ca6728055be0ae9c5b3c4c31f.jpeg

My lovely wife made corn and mash, and daughter #1 made an arugula salad with walnuts, blueberries, feta, dill and some other things. She's a bit of a virtuoso in all things salad - and it always works way better than it should.

374984655_1(3).thumb.jpeg.26955a1df1888d2dbe60b55faa603b14.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

No need for me to suppress laughter about Krab.  I was taught to use it proudly by Doddie, otherwise known as @Domestic Goddess.  She was a Filipina, married to an American living in South Korea.  She gave me a recipe for a Krab and ham salad that I've been using for over 10 years.  She said that it was very popular in Asia and thought it was funny that Americans and Europeans disdained it.  

Oh yes it is in every Asian restaurant not as a sub but as its own thang. @Domestic Goddess provided great insight into day to day Korean food.  My Yokohama, Japan born friend and neighbor did a very similar one for neighborhood get togethers. 

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, pastameshugana said:

This looks amazing - is that your own recipe or ??

It is very buttery and creamy and gives you a guilt feeling and a stupid smile as you are savoring it.

Unfortunately it is not my recipe and this is the first time I was served an elliptical Mille-Feuille instead ot the classic rectangle shape.

Many classic Pastries have either evolved or became endangered pastries species like the Baba au Rhum and others.

I like the Mille-Feuille jam version with Apricot jam but it fell out of grace and you cannot find it anymore unless very lucky.

o1x3EAr.jpg

© Patisserie La Calèche Constantine

• Like 6

Freezer Finds Pael-Nah. 

Featuring frozen peas, some hotdogs that were deemed 'yucky' when had in buns so went in to the cold ( because I can't stand throwing out food ). Couple of chicken thighs, rice onion garlic tomato tumeric etc.

20200904_184913.thumb.jpg.7983ca1c0102a0e4bf9b45f87c240dda.jpg

Needless to say when I told the kid we were having 'hot dog rice' he was really disapointed when I gave him this and not a hotdog with a side of plain white rice. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

This is a dish I used to make often, but haven't done for years.  I don't really know why I stopped, but anyway I was in the market this morning and saw these and thought "Yes!"

1373255932_Bluecrabs.thumb.jpg.35ac5b3848e4e32940fabd4ee8ea4049.jpg

I selected enough to satisfy my needs and the lovely lady prepared them for me, as she does.

20200904_180152.thumb.jpg.5f9c3a85ec8072002951e3cfbaf2a9f1.jpg

Stir fried them with garlic, ginger, chilli, Shaoxing, soy sauce and oyster sauce. Finished with scallions.

987536338_KensKillerCrab.thumb.jpg.887cf5f26af2900da92ff40e3ec9b511.jpg

Served with rice, greenery and lots of kitchen paper. Finger food. Sweet and spicy. Like me!

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

12 hours ago, KennethT said:

Nice looking fish and greens.  Your baby bok choi looks almost like a yu choi to me - the stalks are so nice and slender... looks tender too. Home grown I assume?

Thank you sir.  I did not grow these fine specimens, but rather my local organic farmer (whom I have purchase from for the last 10 years).  He knows his shit.

12 hours ago, heidih said:

Do you mean finished with a hot seasoned oil or?

Indeed.  That is probably the most popular Chinese style to finish steamed fish.  Green onions and cilantro placed on steamed fish; heat oil, ginger added, then more green onions, mix of soys, sugar, pepper bit of stock - little oil at the end, heated to blistering temps and poured on.  I also like a little bit of lime in there to create a better balance.  Not typical.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

12 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Blistered shishitos, Maldon salt.

My new favorite thing.  I am going to be sad if/when I can't find them at the store anymore.

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Sweet and spicy. Like me!

Ohhhh those look so good.  The only bad thing about reading here is being hungry for items that I cannot get.

@Kim Shook and @robirdstx have made me hungry for tuna salad.  I can't remember the last time I made any.

The grocery store didn't have any figs...didn't figure they would but a girl can dream.  I should write about this in the pandemic thread, but it still amazes me the things that are in shortage at times.  The whole section of frozen chicken breasts was empty.  I don't usually buy them but had thought I might because it's so handy.  Outta luck on that this time lol.  

Anyway, after shopping and cleaning out the fridge and putting things up (got a little more involved than I had planned) dinner became less that what I was going to do.  

I had Ronnie pluck 5 of the doves he got so that I could roast them in the CSO.  Was going to do more elaborate sides, but too tired.  Corn was from the garden that I had blanched and frozen.

thumbnail_IMG_8149.jpg.83ead8fa483253ab1c47f8c904f2e7bd.jpg

• Like 10

21 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Spork 

help me here !  Yikes 1

SV rice ?  id like to hear about that , w some MixIns ?

Salmon looks delicious ,  even the Cukes , peeled for crunch 

congratulations .

To the “MixIns”, that’s a blended rice. 

Chicken broth, butter, and rice in the bag. Lighten up on the broth a tad, no evaporative loss. 180F for 50 minutes and it still has a little tooth to it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Taken from a video... Last night was fry night... I took the leftover picadillo and made papa rellenos with them.. This was pulled from a video.so, terrible shot but, it was kind of perfect.. simply boil waxy potatoes, rice, flatten, stuffed with picadillo, ballify.. Flour, slurry, bread crumbs, fry. 

50301653646_9afcba189e_z.jpg

I also made a green sauce was a combo of cilantro, vegan mayo, lime, vinegar, cumin jalapeno and garlic served with fried yucca or the potato.. 

• Like 9

8 hours ago, liuzhou said:

This is a dish I used to make often, but haven't done for years.  I don't really know why I stopped, but anyway I was in the market this morning and saw these and thought "Yes!"

1373255932_Bluecrabs.thumb.jpg.35ac5b3848e4e32940fabd4ee8ea4049.jpg

I selected enough to satisfy my needs and the lovely lady prepared them for me, as she does.

20200904_180152.thumb.jpg.5f9c3a85ec8072002951e3cfbaf2a9f1.jpg

Stir fried them with garlic, ginger, chilli, Shaoxing, soy sauce and oyster sauce. Finished with scallions.

987536338_KensKillerCrab.thumb.jpg.887cf5f26af2900da92ff40e3ec9b511.jpg

Served with rice, greenery and lots of kitchen paper. Finger food. Sweet and spicy. Like me!

Literally finger food. I saw a hand in there.

• Haha 1