• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

16 hours ago, TicTac said:

Somewhat pedestrian following shrimps and scallops - but hey, sometimes the simple things in life bring the most joy!  

Grilled wings w dry rub

80B01917-E039-4B58-88DF-3A17BEA47FBF.thumb.jpeg.1e6e4c678685756f19cdeb8e6a95ee9a.jpeg

Served with dill sauce, fries and veggie sticks.  When you can’t go to the bistro pub, you bring the bistro to you!

Perfect. Just the way I love my wings.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ann_T said:

Perfect. Just the way I love my wings.

Besides the one at the forefront who got a little burnt!  😠

It was a combination of a little too much rub (perhaps a pinch that had extra sugar) and some especially hot grill real estate (even though I did them on the upper rack!).

Having grilled wings a bunch of times now this summer, I might just prefer them to my crispy oven baked wings (which come out very nice, but these seem to be a bit more juicy!)

• Like 3

I've been put on a shopping ban until I clear some freezer / pantry space. It's got to the stage where I have flour in the kids toy storage - and I don't even bake!

So pretty boring meat and veg meals for the boys. 

Giant pork chop with BBQ marinade. 

20200903_184650.thumb.jpg.3a851555789713ffe0a386ace197b5ea.jpg

Porterhouse, Egg and Veg. 

20200902_183337.thumb.jpg.9a876f6c4af131a29a59fd9d559ed8d3.jpg

And yes I know us "Dead Eggers" are the flat earthers of the foodie world but some people don't like goo! 

(And hey, my son dosen't eat egg and I saved your eyes from his side - shop bought plain, white, pasta - no EVOO, no butter, no S&P, no cheese, nothing - just the way he loves it! Suffer foodies, suffer 😂). 

Edited by CantCookStillTry (log)
  • Like 7
  • Haha 8

Beans with grilled shrimp; cheese-less pesto of basil, walnuts, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice and zest, a little mint and dill, pepper; grilled bread.

Broiled figs; sour cream; basil reduced balsamic flavored with cardamom, anise, cinnamon, pepper; toasted nuts.

IMG.thumb.jpg.e12e2770640e63379c056a055c97606c.jpg

IMG_20200824_220707_1.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 3

~ Shai N.

IMG_2136.jpeg.7d9fd798b1c7942f1b2c4e5f54ca8985.jpeg

Chicken scarpariello.  

Two things: 

1. The sausages that are classic in this dish - as much as I dug into the freezer, nada. Of course the next time the freezer is opened, they'll just jump out. As the walnuts did when I went looking for the sausage.

2. Lately I've taken to cutting up the weekly bird (ok, butchering it), so that a bit of stock can be made with the back, wing tips, neck, drumstick ends, keel bone (yeah, Significant Eater likes the breast), whatever.  With trimmings saved from leeks, carrots, celery, onions, etc. about 3 cups of stock are produced, which comes in very handy during the rest of the week. And then the rest of the bird gets salted (not brined) for a day or two before using. For this dish, the thighs and drums were also hacked into smaller pieces, breast left in 2 halves and removed after 10 minutes of cooking; it remains nice and juicy that way, and it's served sans little bones to Significant Eater.

• Like 15

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Great meals, all.  As usual, I'm having fig envy.  I have to go to a grocery store today so I'll look and see if they have any.  Bet they don't.

Seems like every year the garden does something different.  I have tons of green tomatoes on that just aren't ripening.  My eggplant up and died when the fruits were about golf ball size.  Anyway, wanted to make some spag. sauce for the freezer and I always like to add smoked eggplant to it.  Had some mushrooms and decided to try smoking them in the stovetop smoker.  REALLY good.  Will be doing that again regularly.  Why had I not thought of doing that before?

thumbnail_IMG_8136.jpg.1e1d25ef44c19b2b2315711da662cba2.jpg

No pics of the spaghetti and meatballs--ya'll have seen that plenty lol. We had apple pie for dessert that night

thumbnail_IMG_8135.jpg.9b7bbfe050805fcb749cdcf400afcd2f.jpg

Next night I roasted chicken quarters with mashed taters, gravy, Jaymes' squash

thumbnail_IMG_8137.jpg.6793f5fe4ce7cf3cf8f99f38713e15f8.jpg

Had to have smoked turkey sandwiches one more time.  Tortellini salad and fries to go with (Ronnie isn't wild about pasta salads)

thumbnail_IMG_8138.jpg.470e884db9005f0c824f1334daef1222.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8139.jpg.c43f7dc762add7aabbbe7ff8c9515c54.jpg

Sous vide beef ribs for 24 hours and then broiled with a honey/5 spice mixture.  Drunken noodles and shishito peppers done in sesame oil to go with.

thumbnail_IMG_8141.jpg.5a03c5d85c29e9939876a5199aeefa79.jpg

Dove season opened on the 1st.  Scout and Chum are having a blast.  Did them the usual way on the grill for opening day.  A lone hotdog got thrown on as well.

thumbnail_IMG_8142.jpg.ea931e60c44f96a539d1edd0819cbb65.jpg

Finally accumulated enough okra for a meal (yeah weird garden year again) so had that with tomatoes and Mac and cheese.

thumbnail_IMG_8143.jpg.a24d2a05bbfd64314bbe431804379547.jpg

I've been diligently picking the squash blossoms.  Last night I did some in tempura and stuffed the flowers with mozzarella.  Good stuff.

thumbnail_IMG_8145.jpg.425556ca558c722b4fc01bec889a2ea0.jpg

Greek salad and pepperoni and sausage pizza to go with.

thumbnail_IMG_8146.jpg.4fe912e971f62c3c5e331cb41d340228.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8147.jpg.6371533b95f8ccab70f32e5772fc9742.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8144.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 2

Italian dinner and no Pizza.......

1- Starters

- Braised Artichokes Alla Romana

(Dressed With Olive Oil,Lemon Juice Melted Anchovies and Parsley

So delectable that we asked for a second serving and the Chef came out to meet us and explain to us the recipe......90 mn in the oven on low.

x37WWN1.jpg

- Caesar salad

(Roasted Garlic, Focaccia Croutons, Parmesan Cheese,Romaine Lettuce, Anchovy Dressing}

BU4plpk.jpg

- Bruschetta

{Cherry Tomato, Taggiasca Olives, Burrata Cheese,Basil, Oregano}

uPNs6MD.jpg

2- Main courses

- Petto Di Pollo Ripieno

(Marinated Chicken Breast Stuffed With Turkey Ham And Smoked Provolone Cheese, Bell Pepper Cream, Sautéed Turnip Leaves)

00NmsL3.jpg

- Agnolotti Alla Piemontese

{Fresh Agnolotti Pasta, Roasted Veal Bacon, Saffron And Cream)

mwM1o8n.jpg

3- Dessert

- Decadent Mille Feuile pour moi.....

mWupu9t.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

31 minutes ago, Nicolai said:

Italian dinner and no Pizza.......

1- Starters

- Braised Artichokes Alla Romana

(Dressed With Olive Oil,Lemon Juice Melted Anchovies and Parsley

So delectable that we asked for a second serving and the Chef came out to meet us and explain to us the recipe......90 mn in the oven on low.

x37WWN1.jpg

- Caesar salad

(Roasted Garlic, Focaccia Croutons, Parmesan Cheese,Romaine Lettuce, Anchovy Dressing}

BU4plpk.jpg

- Bruschetta

{Cherry Tomato, Taggiasca Olives, Burrata Cheese,Basil, Oregano}

uPNs6MD.jpg

2- Main courses

- Petto Di Pollo Ripieno

(Marinated Chicken Breast Stuffed With Turkey Ham And Smoked Provolone Cheese, Bell Pepper Cream, Sautéed Turnip Leaves)

00NmsL3.jpg

- Agnolotti Alla Piemontese

{Fresh Agnolotti Pasta, Roasted Veal Bacon, Saffron And Cream)

mwM1o8n.jpg

3- Dessert

- Decadent Mille Feuile pour moi.....

mWupu9t.jpg

OH MY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 4

@liamsaunt, more about the zucchini, please. I have one bigger than my forearm that I haven't managed to give away...need to do something with it. Your approach looks a bit simpler than zuc fritters.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

a 3 person dinner party last night

we started with french breakfast radishes dipped in sweet butter with maldon salt

then heirloom tomato salad with goat cheese

and grilled chicken thighs on a bed of arugula and roasted okra

champagne and red burgundy

IMG_5167.JPG

IMG_1751.JPG

IMG_5262.JPG

IMG_8697.JPG

IMG_5807.JPG

IMG_0478.JPG

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

57 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

Cedar plank salmon, mustard roasted new potatoes, eggplant "fries" and shredded zucchini

50718212_cedarplanksalmon.thumb.jpg.fd3760501d44337319cfc3060e86aedf.jpg

How did you do the eggplant fries. There is a plump one in the fridge I know I did not buy but the 90 stepmom says is not hers. 

3 hours ago, Smithy said:

@liamsaunt, more about the zucchini, please. I have one bigger than my forearm that I haven't managed to give away...need to do something with it. Your approach looks a bit simpler than zuc fritters.

Very easy!  I just shredded the zucchini on a box grater (mine was big too--though not as big as yours!), and sautéed it in a little butter and adobo seasoning until it got a little crispy and tender. 

2 hours ago, heidih said:

How did you do the eggplant fries. There is a plump one in the fridge I know I did not buy but the 90 stepmom says is not hers. 

I just cut the eggplant into sticks, then did a flour coat, egg coat, and seasoned bread crumb coat.  I slicked a pan with some olive oil and baked the sticks at 375 for 40 minutes, turning them once.  The timing varies based on how big you cut your sticks.  Once they are browned and crispy, they are done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

@scamhi 

those are the best Fr.Breakfast radishes Ive ever seen.

I grew them a few times , mine were not at stout as yours

my favorite radish 

and congratulations on you FineWine collection and selections.

These radishes were not that pristine. I've had radishes like this at Nomad in NYC. You dip the cold dry radish in barely melted sweet butter and chill on parchment or silpat. and I have been a wine collector for many years. It's a fun hobby

• Thanks 1

@scamhi 

and correct you are1

I do have a stamp collection 

U.S !  I have several Plate Blocks  from the '20s

5 $$ USD  plate plate blocks

now worth : $$ 20.27 

and i did have some very old relatives 

in tye1890's 0r less

and thats what they did in Kansas in1870 - 90's  :

Qult

the are now in a museum in Upstate NY

so far so good.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, scamhi said:

it's a hell of a lot more fun than stamp collecting or quilts.

When my wife and I started collecting a little over 10 years ago, we bought a few bottles that could be looked at as "investments"... at the time, I said that even if the value doesn't go up, at least we could enjoy drinking it!

• Like 2

After looking at everyone’s beautiful food, there is no way in hell that leftovers from last night’s dinner and today’s lunch are going to satisfy me tonight.  Sigh.

Dinner last night  was Fried Green Tomato BLT’s and Mr. Kim’s gazpacho (made with both ripe and green tomatoes – the green ones were left over from Jessica’s Green Tomato Pickle class with Mr. Kim’s mom):

IMG_3308.jpg.ea46bf05a2f74780a3ec7384063820b2.jpg

Fried Green Tomatoes – green tomatoes;

IMG_3301.jpg.205155e481218ea348ac9c50ead455c5.jpg

Sliced and salted for an hour:

IMG_3303.jpg.391e519c6a84b2cf093e1ec596b62ab9.jpg

Rinsed and soaked in buttermilk and a little bit of hot sauce for 1/2 hour:

IMG_3304.jpg.e0adbcdd2060f0998db8d07310eea3bd.jpg

This SHOULD be cornmeal with paprika, pepper, and Penzey’s new Justice seasoning:

IMG_3302.jpg.def305fefca6990f6c0c6fcb597b4f66.jpg

Instead it is semolina flour.  Mr. Kim was supposed to go out to the shed and dig the cornmeal out of the chest freezer but forgot and by the time I was ready for it, he was on a Zoom meeting.  I don’t mess with that freezer, so I went with the semolina.  I’m sure the cornmeal would have been a little bit better, but not much.  There was also panko.  Semolina, back into the buttermilk, and panko’d.  It sat like this for 30 minutes:

IMG_3305.thumb.jpg.f7e66e67946b56514da206f867b951bb.jpg

Cooking in a combination of Benton’s bacon grease and shortening:

IMG_3306.jpg.8d55463baf466ef4bd1a604f5783f0f6.jpg

All done:

IMG_3309.jpg.528cafe7daac07471e9b8aba37ec9801.jpg

Building the sandwich:

IMG_3310.thumb.jpg.a2c48bab1a25d95a1e4985a4309b4de4.jpg

Finished:

IMG_3313.jpg.0d81f16504f933258dcc622f452af7e3.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 5

3 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Fresh steamed sea bass finished Chinese style.  Baby bok Choi.  Haiga rice not shown (cuz who wants to look at rice!?)

Nice looking fish and greens.  Your baby bok choi looks almost like a yu choi to me - the stalks are so nice and slender... looks tender too. Home grown I assume?