• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Yesterday, I spent some time making wontons/dumplings...

1048870207_Dumplingvegetablesoup08-30.jpeg.b17f8c6ead496db24e4fd4271c8c2556.jpeg

and for dinner - Chicken vegetable soup with pork and Savoy cabbage dumplings.

Wow... these look great.  What did you use for a wonton skin? Bought or made?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Wow... these look great.  What did you use for a wonton skin? Bought or made?

Twin Marquis bought fresh, but I don't remember which ones.

They make so many variations on a theme:

https://www.twinmarquis.com/products/

• Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

3 hours ago, gfweb said:

Its do-able. The key factors are the bread and meat and cheese 😉 . You need a good hoagie roll. Amoroso's are as close as you can get in stores. They aren't like what the steak places get, but they are OK. Should be soft-ish. Not baguette hard.

Re meat you cannot use those crappy frozen things like Steakum. Rather get a cheap cut, like sirloin on sale, slice thin and chop up. pan fry and S/P.  Use more than seems reasonable for the sandwich. 

Cheese options vary between american, provolone and whiz...nothing else. For me provolone doesn't melt well enough and doesn't complement ketchup. Put cheese on bread first, mix fried onions  with the right-off-the-griddle hot meat and apply to roll.  If using ketchup put it between the cheese and  the meat. Don't use ice cold ketchup.You want the hot meat to melt the cheese.

Naval Hosp is long gone except for a couple buildings.. Its the Eagles practice facility now.

We've been pretty happy with homemade cheesesteaks.    We have decent bread/rolls here.  We slice decent steak thinly and sear (only) on a very hot stovetop griddle, onions grilled on one end and provolone melted at the end.   We have had no problem melting provolone.    We think our rendition is really good...but it has little relationship with the ones we've had in Philly.    i.e., our meat is medium rare and juicy.

• Haha 1

eGullet member #80.

14 hours ago, KennethT said:

IMG_20200830_194524.thumb.jpg.e67d2b7c8e8dc026d362e9a3ad4bb578.jpg

Nothing, I dare say nothing is better than rau ram smothered in chicken juices. CSO chicken thighs with salt/lime juice/black pepper dipping sauce.

Dare I ask - did you go to Ken Hing for the rau ram?

Also, how do you prepare water spinach? I was at ken hing this morning, and in addition to wrappers, bought some rau ram and water spinach.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

30 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Dare I ask - did you go to Ken Hing for the rau ram?

Also, how do you prepare water spinach? I was at ken hing this morning, and in addition to wrappers, bought some rau ram and water spinach.

No, I grow the rau ram. It grows so fast I could sell some to them! I haven't been down to Chinatown since they closed the 6 train on the weekend - I wouldn't want to walk all the way there and back! 

For the water spinach, I cut the leafy tops off and then cut the stems into 4" sections. Wash well - it can be sandy. Then spin dry. I typically stir fry it with garlic very briefly, assuming they were not harvested too old - they can get tough if they're too old.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KennethT said:

For the water spinach, I cut the leafy tops off and then cut the stems into 4" sections. Wash well - it can be sandy. Then spin dry. I typically stir fry it with garlic very briefly, assuming they were not harvested too old - they can get tough if they're too old.

I do similar w bok choy/baby bok and other similar greens w decent water content.  Can also blanch or steam first then dry for less liquid in the final product.  

• Like 2

That wasn't chicken

11 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Or you could stir fry the Thai way - make a sauce of 1T oyster sauce, 1T fish sauce, and 1T light soy sauce and a little sugar. Stir fry in oil with garlic and chili briefly and add sauce.

Or the Malay way with belacan, garlic, shallot and chili

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

I do similar w bok choy/baby bok and other similar greens w decent water content.  Can also blanch or steam first then dry for less liquid in the final product.  

Yeah I do this with lots of different greens. One day I have to add chicken powder...

• Like 1

@shain – your manakeesh looks delicious.  I’m seriously beginning to crave that kind of food.  We’ve got a great Lebanese restaurant that served a Zatar one and I think it’s time to have some delivered!

@Norm Matthews – it is hard to get chicken fried steak “right” at home.  I’ve tried!  But I think I would really enjoy your versions. 

@KennethT – that is gorgeous skin on your chicken, but what I really want to single out is that beautiful green bowl that is just above your dipping sauce ramekin.  Absolutely lovely. 

@IowaDee – some full service butchers will “shave” rib eye for you.  This makes a superior cheesesteak. 

@Paul Bacino – that eggplant with the gooey cheese and great coating looks good enough that I bet I’d eat it.  I’m with @rotuts on the stuffed peppers, though.  You’re on your own there😄

I seriously could have sworn that I already put this meal in this thread.  I even thought I remembered people responding to it.  But apparently not.  Dinner on Saturday:

IMG_3274.jpg.3c9c22914c8e3a485ae0fd675d8056d2.jpg

Roast chicken thigh, sausages, green beans, gravy, milky bread from the bread maker, and deviled eggs.  I was inspired by @Norm Matthews to make the deviled eggs:

IMG_3276.thumb.jpg.25cb819f8d087b81cf71692292ace49c.jpg

Last night - the freezer gifted us with a carton of Mr.Kim’s chili:

IMG_3287.jpg.08cda69eec87e92467587708047d539e.jpg

We scrounged up some fixings:

IMG_3286.jpg.1224217fde6cd74edc83baedfa5bf40f.jpg

The “croutons” are actually stale leftover cornbread cooked until crisp.  We decided that we liked them every bit as much as fresh cornbread on the side.  Fixed up:

IMG_3289.jpg.03d4a5e5dc1beab8dfdf5c8d7e9fe7cf.jpg

Served with tuna salad sandwiches and a salad:

IMG_3288.jpg.79d6bf15415b287c98fb26d13c3031b9.jpg

IMG_3285.jpg.890de709a1a42ab1a1f0109d14ac309b.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

4 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

That's today.    The one in his mind's eye is 77001451_ScreenShot2020-08-31at8_19_06AM.thumb.png.4864bcd7b30d31362b45abedecc6c4ec.png

and

55925968_ScreenShot2020-08-31at8_20_00AM.png.4098ebc12ee12ff2ece9d640d27d7628.png

There is one Woolworth's left (a mere shadow of its former self). Appropriately, It's in an antique mall here in town.

Their menu seems to have been simplified from its glory days.

• Like 4

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I don't know about anyone else, but I take a bit of a different turn when it comes to ribs.  I've been grilling and smoking ribs more this summer than in past years, but I've grown really tired of the standard recipes I use, dry-rub, low and slow on the outdoor barbecue, so on.  Then I remembered one of my favorite Asian-style rib recipes.  Took me right out of the rib doldrums I was in.

Maltose-Glazed Chinese Spareribs.JPG

For the Ribs-

1 2 1/2 lb. rack of baby back pork ribs

1 cup Shaoshing Chinese rice wine

2 tsp. Szechuan peppercorns

6 thick slices of fresh ginger

2 tsp. toasted sesame seeds for garnish

1 tbsp. sliced green onions for garnish

For the Maltose Glaze-

6 tbsp. hoisin sauce

4 tbsp. ketchup

4 tbsp. Shaoshing Chinese rice wine

4 tbsp. maltose substitute honey

4 green onions, roughly chopped

2 tbsp. brown sugar

1 tbsp. Sambal Oelek substitute Chinese chili paste

4 cloves minced garlic

1 tbsp. minced fresh ginger

Simmer the Ribs-

Trim any fat off the ribs and remove the silver skin from the underside of the rack. Place the ribs in a wide stockpot and cover with water and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to a simmer and skim any foam off using a small wire strainer. Add the Shaoshing rice wine, Szechuan peppercorns, and ginger and turn the heat down to a simmer and cover the stockpot. Simmer the ribs for 90 minutes or until a knife inserts easy into the meat.

Make the Sauce, Glaze the Ribs and Roast-

Pre-heat the over to 375. In a small saucepan, add the hoisin sauce, ketchup, Shaoshing rice wine, maltose, brown sugar, garlic and sambal oelek. Stir the sauce to combine the ingredients and turn off the heat.

Place the rack of ribs on a cookie rack over a baking sheet, and brush with some of the glaze. Roast the ribs in the oven for 15 minutes, then brush again with some of the glaze. Roast the ribs for 15 more minutes until the glaze is thick, caramelized and bubbling.

Take the rack of ribs out of the oven and brush with more glaze. the rack with more glaze then cut the ribs between the bones. Garnish the ribs with toasted sesame seeds and green onions. Serve extra glaze on the side for dipping the ribs.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

@Kim Shook Thank you!  I love those bowls... they're celadon - we got them at a celadon factory in Chiang Mai on our honeymoon about 15 years ago.  Each one is hand carved, then glazed and fired at a ridiculously high temperature.  We even got to tour the factory, and they even got my wife to sit at the potters wheel and get her hands dirty.  She made a horrible piece (which was remade) but it was a fun experience.  Back then, things were really cheap there, made even cheaper by a weak Thai Baht exchange rate.  We carried a big box through at least 5 airports and nothing got damaged!

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

...sweet potato with butter.

997293009_ScreenShot2020-08-31at1_46_14PM.png.11b7d04e3793b7b5aa7f6897a926514f.png

One of my most favorite foods.     Even without butter.     There used to be a gentleman at the Civic Center Farmer's Market who sold hot, baked sweet potatoes.    On a cold, foggy SF morning, they were heaven!     Then he stopped.    He said the the health department wouldn't let him sell them because he didn't have a "commercial kitchen".    For the love love of.....

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

eGullet member #80.

7 hours ago, KennethT said:

For the water spinach, I cut the leafy tops off and then cut the stems into 4" sections. Wash well - it can be sandy. Then spin dry. I typically stir fry it with garlic very briefly, assuming they were not harvested too old

Round these parts, the leafy tops and stems are both used and they are seldom cut into sections. But most important of all, the stir frying with garlic is done in lard (pig fat).

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Round these parts, the leafy tops and stems are both used and they are seldom cut into sections. But most important of all, the stir frying with garlic is done in lard (pig fat).

Sorry - I didn't mean to say to get rid of the tops, I just meant that I separate them to make stir frying and eating easier. In our markets from tip of leaf to bottom of stem they can be 2 feet long which is hard to deal with.

• Like 1

Dinner09012020.png

CSO baked red snapper.  Recipe adapted from the CSO recipe booklet.  Snapper baked with fennel, orange, lemon, garlic, shallots, thyme, oregano.  A little fennel pollen never hurt.

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

9 hours ago, KennethT said:

In our markets from tip of leaf to bottom of stem they can be 2 feet long which is hard to deal with.

That's the fun part! I often see people having to stand up to pull their veg out of the noodles and fight with it! All greatly amusing!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto