• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

Fish and chips with a difference.

These are known as 黄尾鱼 (huáng wěi yú) here. It translates as Yellow Tail Fish. Yeah I see that. But the same name applies to hundreds of species, so I don't know what they are - but I like 'em'.

20200827_191707.thumb.jpg.7004798c6f6c88edfe09d1e62a60a6b1.jpg

'Cleaned' and drying before frying. Once dry, they were salted and black peppered inside and out, then shallow fried.

20200827_201720.thumb.jpg.87b5ab4a3c53240ee90c25a8a7b205e3.jpg

They are a slightly oily fish and not for bone-haters (China isn't for bone-haters).

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Chicken quesadillas with stuffed hatch Chile peppers

thumbnail_IMG_8130.jpg.95a2e6c6d4a216dc3f60877f1d757a0c.jpg

Smoked and sous vide a turkey breast and made white bread yesterday so we could have turkey sandwiches again before tomato season ends :(

thumbnail_IMG_8131.jpg.65350b88f4fbd5429cbba97533eada80.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8132.jpg.2f28553875b66c67412c3b57576e0497.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 3

Hand cut udon noodles with butter garlic sauce, with some miso, soy sauce, oyster sauce, browned onions, scallions. Bold and rich flavors, works well with the thick chewy noodles. Served with pickled ginger.

A dish inspired by agadashi tofu. Marinated fried tofu with mushrooms with ginger, rice wine, mirin, garlic, soy sauce, shiitake mushroom sauce. The tofu is to be cut and mixed with the sauce, so it stays crisp while soaking the juices.

IMG_20200820_222326_1.jpg

IMG_20200820_222555.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 3

~ Shai N.

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

These are known as 黄尾鱼 (huáng wěi yú) here. It translates as Yellow Tail Fish. Yeah I see that. But the same name applies to hundreds of species, so I don't know what they are - but I like 'em'.

'Cleaned' and drying before frying. Once dry, they were salted and black peppered inside and out, then shallow fried.

They are a slightly oily fish and not for bone-haters (China isn't for bone-haters).

My son's first catch. No idea what they were. I cleaned and grilled.  We were at a beach rental with friends. Nobody else would touch them. Yes bony. I flaked some off for him and picked the rest for me. Also  slightly oily but quite tasty.

IMG_1413.JPG

• Like 4

15 hours ago, scamhi said:

Started with an heirloom tomato salad with buffalo mozz and aleppo pepper

then pork chop with hot cherry peppers, garlic, chicken stock, butter and parsley

and a delicious rhone syrah

IMG_2130.jpg

IMG_2131.jpg

IMG_2132.jpg

Yumm...

Its good to have Morels

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

20200827_201720.thumb.jpg.87b5ab4a3c53240ee90c25a8a7b205e3.jpg

From eating a lot of sushi......kinda looks like what is called a "butterfish" which is really good flavored fish.

@Ann_T – Happy Anniversary!  Looks like you all celebrated doing what you love – you cooking and Moe eating your cooking!😁

@CantCookStillTry – gorgeous looking cheese bread.  Like heidih, I grew up with Momma making the cheap, supermarket “Italian” loaf version, but it was quite good when used for sopping up her delicious sauce. 

@Shelby – great looking turkey and tomato sandwiches.  Also, nice when you show your magically roomy CSO that doesn’t burn the top of bread loaves like everyone else’s does😄.  Seriously, I have to say that your tomatoes are spectacular looking.

On Tuesday, I made Trisha Yearwood’s Old-Fashioned Potato-Beef Casserole for someone at church who had a bad fall.  It is similar to an upside-down Cottage Pie.  Potato layer:

IMG_3250.jpg.52cb67016f7f64bda0549e1dbc50cb51.jpg

Beef with sauce on top of the potatoes:

IMG_3251.jpg.74e3e518054969bd7d4726c3cb4d098b.jpg

Ground beef, onions, red wine, garlic, Penzey’s Tuscan Sunset, Beef Better than Bouillon, a roux, hot sauce, and Cheddar cheese.  With Durkee onions on top:

IMG_3253.jpg.8d71cdd6379f0dd169d97594a5a5ceca.jpg 

German-style green beans on the side:

IMG_3252.jpg.b5c5a04f2c41c8c91fa551da787467ef.jpg

Just bacon, onions, apple cider vinegar, and CANNED green beans.  When we got married 38 years ago, my co-workers had a recipe shower for me.  They made dinner – each person making a different thing – and brought me the ingredients and the recipes.  This was one of the side dishes and I’ve been making it ever since. I was working at a Bridal Shop at the time (how perfect is that?) and some of my co-workers were seamstresses from Syria.  They brought some amazing goodies.  I used to eat my lunch with them as often as I could because they always brought extra and loved to feed this little white Episcopalian girl!

I also made Ghirardelli brownies and sent some grocery store croissants along.  Excuse the pictures – I put the food together after my eye doctor appointment and was still dilated.  I had a bit leftover and made Mr. Kim a little right-side-up Cottage Pie which he had for dinner.  No picture – he upended it onto a plate before I could get one.  I was feeling a little off (tummy troubles all that night and the next day), so this was my dinner:

IMG_3254.jpg.36fb3e921d881571a3b4e30c9e1a9336.jpg 

IMG_3255.jpg.6a18fa9a0484b06d907aac6f3864d38a.jpg

Local produce stand peaches, so no recall worries (right?😳 ). 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

@Kim Shook You are a treasure and I mean that.  You do so much for others and your food is amazing.  

Lol, I don't know why it's magically roomy....I don't even cover it with foil anymore.  It has to be the white bread recipe and loaf pans that I use???  I dunno.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

While at Costco today, I picked up a boneless leg of lamb, not knowing what I'd do with it but by the time I got home I knew it was going to be Chislic, which is cubed, marinated, skewered and grilled lamb.  A guy from South Dakota who started teaching at our school the same year I started introduced us to Chislic.  At the time it was little known outside of South Dakota.  Maybe it still is for all I know.

A decades long internet friend in Florida who recently passed away always put a little dry powdered Ranch dressing in the mayonnaise when she made deviled eggs. Everyone except Charlie loves them that way. I didn't tell him I put some in and he didn't notice. He ate 6 out of 8.

20200827_162315.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 4

1 hour ago, Norm Matthews said:

While at Costco today, I picked up a boneless leg of lamb, not knowing what I'd do with it but by the time I got home I knew it was going to be Chislic, which is cubed, marinated, skewered and grilled lamb.  A guy from South Dakota who started teaching at our school the same year I started introduced us to Chislic.  At the time it was little known outside of South Dakota.  Maybe it still is for all I know.

A decades long internet friend in Florida who recently passed away always put a little dry powdered Ranch dressing in the mayonnaise when she made deviled eggs. Everyone except Charlie loves them that way. I didn't tell him I put some in and he didn't notice. He ate 6 out of 8.

20200827_162315.jpg

The locan 99 cent often has TC - I like it.

• Like 1

Last night, i made bob's red mill polenta.. I have never used it, it's good.. It's not my favorite but, it did quiet nicely... I just poured it into a pie pan to cool... Then used a glass to cut rings... Actually I used a jar and it kept sucking the rings up into the jar and ripping the edges but, i was in the middle of a phone call and I was preoccupied and didn't want to dirty a glass and sometimes you I get satisfaction by purposely making something harder than it should be. Cooked those up in oil on a hot cast iron... Meanwhile, I had this monster hen of woods.. Over a pound, it was like 25 bucks or a little less..  I am sitting there at the mushroom guy flinching over the price and remembered i would have spent like 150 bucks on meat and fish if this was a few months ago.. So yes, i splurged on the mushroom.. People that say being vegan is expensive, have never eaten vegan... I spend around a 100 dollars a week on food, to feed a family of three and we eat pretty well and primarily organic and usually  from the farmers market.  One could spend much less if shopping at a supermarket. 

50270662931_5f2ce47ed6_z.jpg

I added roasted garlic to a pan with some oil, then mushroom, then capers a bit of rosemary and wine and then let it evaporate and deglazed with sherry vinegar ... 

I still have half a mushroom left... 

50270836697_35877f6014_z.jpg

Bite:

50270836677_4ff20e4568_z.jpg

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 1

@BKEats you do give a giggle on a rough day. - quoting you "Then used a glass to cut rings... Actually I used a jar and it kept sucking the rings up into the jar and ripping the edges but, i was in the middle of a phone call and I was preoccupied and didn't want to dirty a glass and sometimes you I get satisfaction by purpously making something harder than it should be."   I do also- why why why. But we always used glasses to cut out cookies but you have to use a jiggle motion and be fast. That suction thing is not good. Sure taste was nice.

• Haha 2

A couple of recent dinners included:

1246266120_Cukesalad08-21IMG_1948.jpeg.b56d4e09d610cf3738bd6dccfc23de4e.jpeg

My new favorite herb of summer of confinement: dill. An old skool NYC Jewish deli cucumber salad.

2118955799_BeansandcollardsIMG_1989.jpeg.1f4c7b1a0283b96cad99a9da9e0239ab.jpeg

This is the don't tell the old skool NYC Jewish deli pork and (of course RG) beans, and collards and pork.

2141175060_ChickenPepin08-24.jpeg.d4b7325d712743a404cc888c1135b6c2.jpeg

Another new favorite due to its ease, chicken a la Jacques. Gussied up. Whole (yes Joyce Farms' poulet rouge) chicken butchered, skin removed and crisped in the steam girl. Backs and assorted tips make a couple of cups of express stock. Breast tbd.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@Shelby – thank you, ma’am.  We are doing it again tomorrow.  There is always one month a year that each church has to do it twice and this is our month.  It truly doesn’t feel like a chore.  Mr. Kim and I get to spend a morning together (NOT doing house projects), the people are SO welcoming and happy to see us, and he always takes me to get a good lunch.  Everyone wins.  Will you share your bread recipe with me, please?  Mine is a really simple white bread from ATK, but the top ALWAYS scorches. 

@Norm Matthews – what a perfect summer meal!  I don’t know why it doesn’t occur to me to make deviled eggs more often.  Thanks to my IP I always have hard cooked eggs now and it would take just a moment to put them together. 

@BKEats – did your polenta cakes pop all over the place when they were frying?  I love fried polenta and grits cakes, but if I shallow fry, they act like popcorn cooked in a pan without a lid.  I have to fry them in fairly deep oil to get them to behave.  And if they didn’t do that, what’s your secret?

Last night - CSO chicken thighs, rice, and green beans:

IMG_3267.jpg.a9c179a28b42dc34fcbba82803648407.jpg

The skin on the chicken took forever to crisp up.  I finally resorted to broiling it to get it crisp.  Served with tomatoes, cornbread, and gravy:

IMG_3265.jpg.0a78c3dfcf2e1371dfd488b320a58536.jpg 

IMG_3266.jpg.2a60bbfda15e86bd90ef10a29ac795ea.jpg

IMG_3268.jpg.fe46eef08c92c5f889ca99ec64e046b3.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Friday is Asian nite.......

1- Openers

Spring Rolls and Edamame (off Picture)

Satay Beef and Chicken

vAmszTq.jpg

- Wagyu Beef Salad of some kind

lryMnzr.jpg

2- Mains

- Vegetables Stir Fry

pteTh9I.jpg

- Black Pepper Beef Stir Fry

y2RekvD.jpg

3- Dessert

- Chocolate Molten Lava

ZoVqSFw.jpg

- Mango Coconut sticky Rice

OWuJrYE.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

@Kim Shook

Thank you!   I just put a tiny bit of oil down and used flat cast iron pan... I didn't notice anything but, that doesn't mean there wasn't any... Next time I do it, I will pay attention..  I guess the popping is the water in the grits and maybe just a bit of oil doesn't get to the center and just forms a crust on the outside. 

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Thanks 1

50267124871_9ab2f8f86b_z.jpg

A little cashew ricotta.. Made this by taking raw cashews, adding a bit of water, a quarter clove of garlic, salt, pepper, sugar, lemon, olive oil. 

50267126571_3b9b55c00f_z.jpg

I had not put the eggplant fried from last night, into the fridge.. I took a portuguese roll and toasted the inside lightly.. Then toasted the eggplant.. The layered with tomato, garlic and basil concoction.  A schmear of the cashew ricotta on the other side. 

50267576847_57b36ed420_z.jpg

50267433291_fbaa11e842_z.jpg

Good like the photo about but, I put in the sandwich press for extra crisp.. 

50266774773_e89e3d0ac5_z.jpg

Pardon the shitty office lighting. 

50266774703_1381413ccc_z.jpg

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 10

Sandwich press good idea. I'd have just eaten the innards. with good rice. Rather than frying tofu I like a touch of olive oil and under the broiler/salamander   - like the taste of decent tofu without interference.