• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

4 hours ago, heidih said:

Do you guys sauce or dip the tenders? Nice crust.

Not usually.  One of the secrets of the crust is to toast the panko in advance, just in a dry skillet.  Then I let it cool and add seasonings.  I don't coat the chicken, it's own moisture is enough.  I just put the panko and the chicken in a zip lock and shake.  Seasonings are a generous amount of an Italian herb blend from McCormick, salt, pepper, granulated garlic and onion, and a little bit of sugar.  20 minutes at 400F plus convection on a rack so the air gets to all sides.  No turning.  Nice and juicy.

• Like 3

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Congrats.  That is a milestone.  Good grief.  Well done and by the time we are 50 yrs I hope to produce meals as spectacular as yours.  I would encourage everyone to visit to your website with all your fabulous recipes and food.🥰

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Congrats.  That is a milestone.  Good grief.  Well done and by the time we are 50 yrs I hope to produce meals as spectacular as yours.  I would encourage everyone to visit to your website with all your fabulous recipes and food.🥰

Hear, hear!!

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

Penne with raw tomato sauce and fresh mozzarella cheese for my non-salmon eating nephew

340774351_pastafresca.thumb.jpg.666cc0bba2d0512ca0f8f5e225321cd9.jpg

Grilled salmon with melting cherry tomatoes, fresh corn pancakes, and arugula salad for my sister, husband and me.  Niece had salmon larb (no picture because you have seen it many times before 🙂 )

913486906_salmonwithmeltingcherrytomatoes.thumb.jpg.3421ccb5c1bd1799d1e571e200a07b55.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 3

1 hour ago, liamsaunt said:

Penne with raw tomato sauce and fresh mozzarella cheese for my non-salmon eating nephew

340774351_pastafresca.thumb.jpg.666cc0bba2d0512ca0f8f5e225321cd9.jpg

Grilled salmon with melting cherry tomatoes, fresh corn pancakes, and arugula salad for my sister, husband and me.  Niece had salmon larb (no picture because you have seen it many times before 🙂 )

913486906_salmonwithmeltingcherrytomatoes.thumb.jpg.3421ccb5c1bd1799d1e571e200a07b55.jpg

And a portion of that luscious pasta, please, for this non-salmon eater.   

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

2 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

After an Indignant me found garlic bread on sale for $9 at the local IGA, I decided to assemble my own cheesy version at home. 

imageproxy.php?img=&key=1b5586c5b8cfb2a220200826_210007.thumb.jpg.dab471d34a9cd3234d9a6d41acd24aae.jpg

I want to tell you guys this was a side dish but.....

This was a standard at mom's dinner parties and a favorite of a young man she "adopted".  Of course it was the 60's so cheap "French bread" from grocery store, margarine, garlic powder, and American cheese slices in the slits.  Us kids and Carl considered it the "main" ;)

• Like 3

Ok so no phone service for many days. They are working on it - aging infrastructure but an issue in a fire zone where cell is sketchy. There is an electrical and water pipe problem at the pool.  - so though quite warm I chucked chub of soyrizo and some green lentils in the crock pot.just now. Comfort food. Marinated cukes in fridge. There is good home made bread in my larder/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

At first I thought :  $#%(#$&%_$&^    re: non-salmon eaters.

then I realized , More for Me !

suprise.gif.fe043e84b76176073844038949318df0.gif

I can handle and in fact love raw salmon, but can't handle cooked salmon which is just too rich for me.    Possibly the result of my father's chasing me through the house to administer cod liver oil, in those days thought to be a health booster in young children.  I can't handle any oily fish.

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

eGullet member #80.

33 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I can handle and in fact love raw salmon, but can't handle cooked salmon which is just too rich for me.    Possibly the result of my father's chasing me through the house to administer cod liver oil, in those days thought to be a health booster in young children.  I can't handle any oily fish.

My stepmother can't deal but dad thinks it is great cuz "it is good for you" - so I cook it for him or myself outside in the toaster oven - less odor. Plus she is clueless on fish cookery . Tje best meal I ever cooked with my Aussie niece was Alaskan salmon gifted by a friend who caught it despite the competing bears.  Apple salad with lemon verbena, and short grain rice. 

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Delicious 1

On 8/23/2020 at 8:19 AM, liuzhou said:

I make my own gari (pickled ginger). Couldn't be easier and keeps well in the fridge (not for long - I eat it with everything!)

Bought some nice ginger this morning; can you point to a recipe please, @liuzhou?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

30 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Bought some nice ginger this morning; can you point to a recipe please, @liuzhou?

I have used Barbara Tropp's recipe from China Moon though I backed the sugar off some.  the link is her recipe I think. My book is plying hide & seek.  http://www.myrecipefriends.com/recipe/11120.html

• Like 1

5 hours ago, weinoo said:

I'm not a great follower of recipes, but this is close to how I do it. I, too,  cut back on the sugar. It's simple to experiment with. The ”secret ” is choosing a good white rice vinegar.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

8 hours ago, heidih said:

Ok so no phone service for many days. They are working on it - aging infrastructure but an issue in a fire zone where cell is sketchy. There is an electrical and water pipe problem at the pool.  - so though quite warm I chucked chub of soyrizo and some green lentils in the crock pot.just now. Comfort food. Marinated cukes in fridge. There is good home made bread in my larder/

So good with only a squirt of Sriracha needed. . Easy and comforting and the phone works now!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

Made a big pot of Turkey and Bean Chili earlier today.

64613E99-5035-496D-B99F-4604B5CF98CB.thumb.jpeg.fbca606671f52d1879b45a3244f1ad23.jpeg

Chili looks good. Will be that time before long. Stay safe down there these next few days!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

11 hours ago, scamhi said:

Started with an heirloom tomato salad with buffalo mozz and aleppo pepper

then pork chop with hot cherry peppers, garlic, chicken stock, butter and parsley

and a delicious rhone syrah

The hot cherry peppers are a favorite ingredient (scarpariello!)  - I wonder if they're known or used much outside of our area?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?