• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

17 minutes ago, heidih said:

I am in avocado land so....

I hear that but it oddly doesn't taste overwhelmingly of avocado.  Less rich and more acid and cilantro.  I've put it over stuff w avocado.  It's nothing like I thought it would be.

That wasn't chicken

5 minutes ago, KennethT said:

@Eatmywords do you add your own shrimp paste? Their paste lacks it (due to allergies probably) so to make it taste right you need to add your own.  Also, to the Panang paste, I add more dried spices as well as a few tbs of ground peanuts (not peanut butter) as well as the shrimp paste...

I have not added shrimp paste but I'll certainly keep it mind.  I have included a tbl or 2 of fish sc as salt sub. Duly noted on the panang too.  They are just awesome pastes. 

• Like 2

That wasn't chicken

Having gotten ambitious and busy early today (which is called avoiding this damn report I have to write), we are having Cuban tonight. Vaca frita, rice and beans (should be black beans, but I have no black ones in the house, so it's Yellow Indian Woman), and maybe plantains if I get ambitious enough to get out.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

A couple of nights ago I had planned on making pizza, but sort of switched tack midstream, and wound up with... whatever this thing is. A pizza crust with hummus, feta, and olives and some olive oil. That batch of hummus turned out really well (it's flavored with cured sumac), so overall the creation was pretty tasty.

DSC_5807.jpg

• Like 9

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

As mentioned uptrend, tonight was Cuban.

20200824_181442.thumb.jpg.1451a81ac883969d401c5275e86a9a87.jpg

Vaca frita, rice and beans, plantains. I used round steak for the meat, as I had no flank steak. Quite nice. The rice and beans lacked enough salt, my biggest failing in cooking beans, but the Yellow Indian Woman stood in well for black beans.

The plantains were dissapointing; as i feared, not ripe enough. Should've done tostones, I guess.

All in all, not bad. Needed a Presidente beer with it, but you go with whatcha got, which was Yeungling.

• Like 8

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Hola!

So glad you got clams @Kim Shook 😋

Yesterday it was duck confit with carrots and broccoli stalks, mushrooms, rice and salad. 

And today I cooked hanger steak for the others, oh well, I had some too, and salad, plus bruschetta.  A couple days ago, someone I know on FB was mentioning parmigiana and I was craving it so much, that I had to make it today. I don’t know if American youngsters have a food they crave when out in the middle of the night. For me, growing up, 2 options. Either go home and make spaghetti with aglio e olio or carbonara. But this is more when you are a poor university student living away from home...but when in the South and going back to parent’s house, everybody’s dream is the leftover parmigiana. Oh, well, if it’s almost morning you go and knock on “pastry labs” and beg to sell you a cornetto with cream or a “bombolone”.

My roomates here don’t know what there are missing but I don’t care because, it’s all mine 😁😁😙😙

C60FBD5F-FD77-4276-A205-642BB17DEBA0.jpeg

E8A69CCE-AA48-46D4-8DF2-49617A857629.jpeg

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 1

22 minutes ago, Franci said:

I don’t know if American youngsters have a food they crave when out in the middle of the night. For me, growing up, 2 options. Either go home and make spaghetti with aglio e olio or carbonara. But this is more when you are a poor university student living away from home...but when in the South and going back to parent’s house, everybody’s dream is the leftover parmigiana. Oh, well, if it’s almost morning you go and knock on “pastry labs” and beg to sell you a cornetto with cream or a “bombolone”.

My roomates here don’t know what there are missing but I don’t care because, it’s all mine 😁😁😙😙

I love this story.

Your roomates don't know what they are missing!

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

9 hours ago, KennethT said:

@Eatmywords do you add your own shrimp paste? Their paste lacks it (due to allergies probably) so to make it taste right you need to add your own.  Also, to the Panang paste, I add more dried spices as well as a few tbs of ground peanuts (not peanut butter) as well as the shrimp paste...

9 hours ago, Eatmywords said:

I have not added shrimp paste but I'll certainly keep it mind.  I have included a tbl or 2 of fish sc as salt sub. Duly noted on the panang too.  They are just awesome pastes. 

As we've discussed, my next step! I have 2 cans each of the Maesri curries, which will be well doctored.

Sadly, no du jardin.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@Shelby – those last couple of meals you posted look fantastic – I would eat every bite (except the peppers😁). 

I finally used my corn cob stock.  Fresh corn chowder with bacon, shrimp, and paprika oil:

IMG_3248.jpg.5f2c88595fd79bddb0493e83a51ff618.jpg

CSO roasted shrimp:

IMG_3246.jpg.14270de4003d66cd164b19d7f4863e1d.jpg

Paprika oil:

IMG_3245.thumb.jpg.0a1070381479890a55c4e36dc9c96fcc.jpg

Also garlic rubbed toasts with stuff to go on, including the tomato bruschetta that Raamo referenced:

IMG_3247.jpg.65868a242c8d9e9cc4708ba8ec0a0f00.jpg

Everything was thoroughly enjoyed. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

re food memories and cravings, my brother married a girl whose parents were from Genoa.    The father made wine and grew seed vegetables, and mama cooked.   How she cooked!   As a child visiting, I remember and can recall today the scent of her "pantry" where we would find cold (room temp) stuffed zucchini, baked pastas, saltimboccas, just left over dinner that was mind blowing to a Wasp kid.    There was a special scent that is both evocative and elusive.    Perhaps the cheese.   Her granddaughter, my niece, says she was too tight to buy Parmesan so always used dry Monterey Jack.   Or the home grown tomatoes, or.... but it is what I crave when I think of soul food.

• Like 8

eGullet member #80.

Thanks to @Chris Hennes efforts, photos are uploaded!!!!

@weinoo's much maligned Bond St....  personally, I love the look of the cobblestones - sure it may be a pita for bikes (women with high heels) but sure does look cool....

20200821_185050_HDR.thumb.jpg.190eaf01ebd9f5252991bc32d54a0804.jpg

20200821_194920.thumb.jpg.995c4d9cdc24296c602a2b32e42bb97b.jpg

Fresh squeezed limeaid with butterfly pea flower

20200821_195951.thumb.jpg.724fd70adfd5e0f3b20b929e1a946c3c.jpg

shrimp chips with nam prik pao

20200821_200017.thumb.jpg.7d14bcb4ff78ada1a60c01c2b9e18fba.jpg

yum pla - the kind of fish salad I can really get behind!  The fillets of gourami (a type of fish) are fried in Thai style - which basically means "fry the crap out of it" so that you can even eat the bones in the fillet - they turn crunchy and tasty.

20200821_200558.thumb.jpg.a7176b430aab13e936cbdf0a10caf89f.jpg

Fried fish with cashews and herbs

20200821_200607.thumb.jpg.a9eaad97e9c30c0ece56f883132a021a.jpg

Gaeng khua - snail curry.  Snails were super tender and the curry was like a Panang curry with kaffir lime and ground peanuts.  Included some raw veggies (including what was billed as green mango, but was really an in-between mango - not green, but not really ripe either).

20200821_200624.thumb.jpg.d1f57fad4027c381296aaba7eeb05cd5.jpg

My favorite vegetable... pak boong

Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

As we've discussed, my next step! I have 2 cans each of the Maesri curries, which will be well doctored.

Sadly, no du jardin.

But you have beautiful green markets (and one of the best cities)

Cottage Pie for us tonight - and the next forever. It's huge. 

Hidden Veg - yellow squash tomato carrot onion mix blitzed. 

20200825_194029.thumb.jpg.f5d7f50ce6d814ede7ff13d5d98f63f1.jpg

Topped with "Rustic" cheesy mash and baked - read its a school night I had baby blues to use up and I was not peeling those suckers. 

20200825_193959.thumb.jpg.b22265b30c3ca655d688f3a0576b0d31.jpg

Voila! The kid will eat veg but sometimes its nice to have a fuss free meal. 

20200825_194133.thumb.jpg.c375e71a5183c875131f7b4eea33527c.jpg

• Like 14

10 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Panko breaded (homemade) chicken tenders, convection baked, served with steamed squash.

Do you guys sauce or dip the tenders? Nice crust.

• Like 1