• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

The Boys were round for beers. I provided the stomach lining with the help of the German Butchery. 

Beery Caramelised Onion. 

20200822_212947.thumb.jpg.c655023d3edf69efad555ee2a6279925.jpg

Mustard on buns and onion under. 

Pale ones were Thüringer bratwurst and the others Jalapeño and Cheese Kranskys. Crusty Rolls are my preferance. 

20200822_212853.thumb.jpg.d48cde9c40c3925c28041102c25939dd.jpg

• Like 19
  • Delicious 2

Since I wasn't about to take the chance by rolling stuff (not as experimental as @Shelby!)...

E148F64E-121B-4F74-B406-A844283D6B6D.jpeg.164a860314a4ac4c29dc2c5a7abd20ff.jpeg

Tried my hand at chirashi sushi - from reading, chirashi simply means scattered. Also, nothing really raw at this point.

Smoked salmon, poached salmon, ikura (salmon roe), scallop, shitake and carrot (both of these were cooked in seasoned water per a sushi book), raw (!) tomato, avocado, and nori. Didn't have gari, but will next time.

Rice needs a bit of work - I didn't really trust the amount of water given in the recipes for sushi rice in a number of books, so I added a few tablespoonfuls. And the rice was a bit too moist. Also a bit too sweet for our taste. Pretty hysterical doing the whole fanning and tossing thing with one shoulder that doesn't work that great...sticky rice STICKS to everything.

It slightly satisfied a taste we've really been missing. 

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

9 hours ago, Franci said:

Yes, but I cannot pick it to the right point I want it 😁 the darker it is the older is is too, the very light one is the freshest (and sometimes more difficult to grate). Need to look for a nice bottarga from Cabras, Sardinia. I’ll see what I can find 😃

Yes - great (grate) stuff!

I buy mine, when needed, brom Beatrice at Gustiamo.  Might be a little more expensive than elsewhere, but this, like all her product, is top notch.

https://www.gustiamo.com/whole-grey-mullet-roe-bottarga-di-muggine-by-oro-di-cabras/

• Thanks 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

19 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I make my own gari (pickled ginger). Couldn't be easier and keeps well in the fridge (not for long - I eat it with everything!)

I think I'll do this - but I needed some nicer, fresher ginger - easy enough to find.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

1 minute ago, liuzhou said:

Yeah. It wants young ginger - look for the pink blush. I'd guess an Asian store/market is your best bet.

There might be a few around here 😂 .

• Haha 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

50 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Yeah. It wants young ginger - look for the pink blush. I'd guess an Asian store/market is your best bet.

Yup. In my big market they keep it in a different location from the older ginger. More pricey, Wrapped in plastic. I'll buy the non dyed store brand from a good market like Nijiya. And the rice ---gotta wet your hands and not play with it too much.

2 taco nights in one week....don’t have to ask me twice!! 
F349B0DC-788F-4033-9476-776CDA32B705.thumb.jpeg.3f40e402d496105f0798e56cdc49edb0.jpeg

pork carnitas, picked onion, cabbage, cherry tomato salsa - what really elevated the dish was the roasted poblano / garlic / oil mix that I mortared.  Liquid gold.

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Fresh Tomato Bruschetta on toasted MB's Lean French Bread.

20200822_182551.thumb.jpg.faa7f05ea0bd4980d3561d59ed885583.jpg

Recipe for the Bruschetta is from here:

The quality of this totally depends up on the ingredients.  The Basil and Tomatoes were from pots on our deck, the balsamic used is super high end and amazing.  Highly recommended if you like tomatoes / basil.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

Rice needs a bit of work - I didn't really trust the amount of water given in the recipes for sushi rice in a number of books, so I added a few tablespoonfuls. And the rice was a bit too moist. Also a bit too sweet for our taste. Pretty hysterical doing the whole fanning and tossing thing with one shoulder that doesn't work that great...sticky rice STICKS to everything.

You're not saying that you used actual "sticky rice"...

eGullet member #80.

19 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

You're not saying that you used actual "sticky rice"...

Nope - sticky rice and short grain rice are two different beasts. 

I currently have a bag of this, used for donabe and sushi stuff:

image.thumb.png.f847329d15876a1b4501a419d91c3f21.png

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

On 8/22/2020 at 6:19 AM, heidih said:

I can't see a reference to grouper without thinking of Pat Conroy's stories in Beach Music. Never had it. How would you describe it?

Grouper is possibly my favorite fish, and I make it a point to eat it at least once every time I'm on the Redneck Riviera. It's a mild, firm, white-fleshed fish, not tremendously flaky, with almost a creamy mouth feel. Sadly, it doesn't freeze well, so you don't see it much in these landlocked environs.

My two favorites are in fish tacos, and grilled and topped with shrimp etouffee.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Short grain, sticky rice and sushi rice are three different beasts.

This is getting a little esoteric, but I'd say all sushi rice is short grain; but all short-grain rice is not necessarily sushi rice.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2019/10/guide-to-rice.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

On 8/22/2020 at 7:19 AM, heidih said:

I can't see a reference to grouper without thinking of Pat Conroy's stories in Beach Music. Never had it. How would you describe it?

Thick  white flesh with a  moderately firm texture.  Not overly firm if you don’t over cook it   

Tonight’s rendition of „Movie & pizza night“ featured „Arctic Dogs“ (a movie that will definitely not be repeated), aaand ...

Milanese salami & mushrooms (a combo that was repeated That very night)

37230C1D-AA3D-4FC4-A035-1566986988A2.thumb.jpeg.5fd170bc10b104125fd36c8d47c6c29a.jpeg

Capers, anchovies and olives 

5CAD3A62-73DD-4FBB-9558-CC5C33100F04.thumb.jpeg.abce6528ac15bde7b459531f3dc109ef.jpeg

Edited by Duvel
Pictures added (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 3

46 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

This logic is one of my favorite explanations.

No, seriously.   It is a very easy way to convey a distinction.  “All black cats are felines; not all felines are black cats.”    “All fish live in water; not everything that lives in water is a fish.”

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.