• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

I had some scallops that I wanted to use. But I didn't really want to put together a scallop-centric meal. So I seared them.

359464061_Cukesalad08-21IMG_1948.jpeg.886a02c70a0ff77e188dbbfb07968c8a.jpeg

And made some cucumber salad.

898191439_Scallopscucumbersalad08-21JPG.jpeg.7f444b41bfef9c2d3543a42cb2615852.jpeg

That's not enough for dinner, though.

1708395393_pastaheirloomsfetabasil08-21.jpeg.3ed6b6a487b4800a37ea687ecd5b8029.jpeg

I'll keep making this till the tomato season is over.  Different shape this time, so elbows with raw heirlooms, feta, basil, the usual others.

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Husband bought some frozen branzino, I do not like the stuff. All the farm raised branzini to be found here, which I actually call it spigola (in the South of Italy it is called spigola and in the North branzino) comes from Turkey. They quality is so so. Today I think there will be a trip to the fishmonger. 

3E223244-3924-489B-9AD6-5F656EFC631C.jpeg

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I had some scallops that I wanted to use. But I didn't really want to put together a scallop-centric meal. So I seared them.

359464061_Cukesalad08-21IMG_1948.jpeg.886a02c70a0ff77e188dbbfb07968c8a.jpeg

And made some cucumber salad.

898191439_Scallopscucumbersalad08-21JPG.jpeg.7f444b41bfef9c2d3543a42cb2615852.jpeg

That's not enough for dinner, though.

1708395393_pastaheirloomsfetabasil08-21.jpeg.3ed6b6a487b4800a37ea687ecd5b8029.jpeg

I'll keep making this till the tomato season is over.  Different shape this time, so elbows with raw heirlooms, feta, basil, the usual others.

You enjoy the cukes super thin? I prefer a crunch -that is why we cook to our preference. I also find that the pasta shape and the tomato provenance can make it seem a different dish every time as can "today basil, today oregano,n today let's play"."Nice scallop sear.

2 minutes ago, Franci said:

Husband bought some frozen branzino, I do not like the stuff. All the farm raised branzini to be found here, which I actually call it spigola (in the South of Italy it is called spigola and in the North branzino) comes from Turkey. They quality is so so. Today I think there will be a trip to the fishmonger. 

Was it mushy or just boring?

A type of ptitim (aka Israeli couscous), i.e. toasted non-durum pasta. Mixed with soft scrambled eggs, Gouda cheese, lots of herbs (chives, parsley, sage, thyme, some rosemary), garlic, plenty of butter. Placed under a broiler to crisp the top.

Fire roasted cabbage with sour cream and chives. Also some nutritional yeast (works great with sour cream). While already eating, I recalled we have some salted hard pretzel sticks. So I crumbled some on top of the cabbage, which worked really well.

Pickles, vegetables, some more sour cream, amber lager.

IMG_20200816_221932.jpg

IMG_20200816_222237.jpg

IMG_20200816_222412.jpg

• Like 13

~ Shai N.

51 minutes ago, heidih said:

You enjoy the cukes super thin? I prefer a crunch -that is why we cook to our preference. I also find that the pasta shape and the tomato provenance can make it seem a different dish every time as can "today basil, today oregano,n today let's play"."Nice scallop sear.

Depends on what kind of cucumber salad I'm making.  This was old skool, NYC, Jewish deli vinegar sugar cucumber salad. I think they work best thinly sliced.  Some were actually "Persian" cukes, which did not get seeded. I had one standard, organic cucumber, which I seeded.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

56 minutes ago, Franci said:

Neither do I , @Franci - it's kinda gross.  But then again, I avoid most all farm raised fish/shellfish.

• Thanks 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

2 hours ago, TicTac said:

In a car, I can understand the cursing that might ensue.

This street is basically blocked off to traffic - that's why the city allows them to put tables in the middle of the street like that - otherwise, they would have to put up barriers at least 18" wide to separate the tables from traffic

18 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

When we were in Bermuda a few years ago, I ate lobster.  It tasted different from what I was used to, but so good.  What kind would that have been?  (I’

My husband and I go to Bermuda every year (well, not this year, thanks to Covid), and we usually time it so that we hit the local lobster season, which starts, I think, in late August.  I don't like lobster but my husband loves it.  The local Bermuda lobsters are the spiny type, with no claw meat, only tail.  My husband says that it is firmer and meatier than the Maine lobster, better suited for grilling.  He claims that the Maine lobster is sweeter.

4 hours ago, KennethT said:

The rest of the photos failed to upload - all giving me the same "-200" error... I tried doing it from my phone and also my desktop computer... @Chris Hennes Is there something I can do to fix this problem? Thanks!

I've gotten that error before and have found that resizing the photos to be smaller fixes it.  

Last night I baked a couple loves of pane francese.  The dough was super sticky and hard to work with, but I was pleased with the end result.

1595318432_panefrancese.thumb.jpg.958ac2a63a129b3b733cca8b96b85e57.jpg

slice.thumb.jpg.3864813e847c089b400e0e36b92a26c1.jpg

We got a large delivery of antipasto stuff, some fish,  and a box of fruits and vegetables Eataly yesterday.  Eataly has started a new (at least to this area) weekly delivery service. Delivery is free to anywhere in the state as long as you spend $200, which is very easy to do at Eataly.  Some of the stuff from that delivery and the bread was dinner.

antipasto.thumb.jpg.51fe9b6426a741e4b45fd9f7ae13ad7a.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

1 minute ago, liamsaunt said:

I've gotten that error before and have found that resizing the photos to be smaller fixes it.  

Thanks - that's what I thought too but it had no problem with other the other photos that are the same size or even slightly larger... weird...  I was hoping @Chris Hennes could weigh in when he gets a chance; I'd imagine he would know the exact reason why this happens.

5 hours ago, rotuts said:

@shain 

very interesting looking dish.

what are these ?

vvv.jpg.ef1540c8e564fe05eda4e59716fd5010.jpg

Those are the ptitim (Israeli couscous). We get them at many shapes (rice, spheres, rings, stars), and those are a new fancy type. They are also much bigger, half inch wide once cooked. I got a German / Eastern european vibe from their shape, so it made similarly inspired dishes.

Edited by shain (log)
  • Thanks 2

~ Shai N.

Japanesy evening:

Okonomiyaki ...

9E8D60DC-07CB-4BBA-A956-32E8734D58EB.thumb.jpeg.f72c7191fede9de4167ebae811ac93fd.jpeg

Cooked shrimps with Ponzu for dipping ...

C41AF3C4-B0C0-49FB-8874-D8088C6629D6.thumb.jpeg.7f1876ef5a99d1a877f9c72078a83112.jpeg

„Reba nira“: liver fried with spring onions, with lamb subbing for the liver 😉

F3C05A7C-10C0-4979-8AC3-45D28AB54515.thumb.jpeg.6528c15209e85b688125812cc8f1a698.jpeg

Aaaaand a highball. Yes !

0A0EAC15-7EDC-415D-B4BB-7D530986AACC.thumb.jpeg.dc2f4c9296f74eb2c5b55184decf9c0b.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Husband back on healthy eating track, made pasta salad using Barilla chickpea pasta (rotini), planned-over grilled zucchini and chicken breast, chopped. Green olives, cherry tomatoes, yellow bell pepper. A little olive oil on the pasta, tossed to make sure it didn’t stick, a bit of bottled caesar dressing. Just perfect after a hot day outdoors.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

@BeeZee I posted this else where the other night! 
Lazy leftover dinner. Cooked fusilli al dente then ran cool water over it. Chopped up left over turkey London broil, mozzarella, baby cucumbers. I added leftover roasted cauliflower, black olives, cherry tomatoes and baby corn. Served it all cool, with the powdered “Good Seasons Italian” dressing mix to which I added a few dashes of honey and mustard until it was umami rich. 

Good use of leftover and about 20 minutes to make. Will work well if my husband ever goes back to work in an office full time, since I can eat it whenever I’m hungry and it won’t suffer from drying out if he works late.  

Tonight was two dozen grilled clams, grilled green beans, grilled teriyaki marinated shrimp skewers all on the BGE.  No leftovers. I’m happy and full! 

369E6215-1B7D-4B49-80DF-E605CBB46B72.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

2 minutes ago, MetsFan5 said:

@BeeZee I posted this else where the other night! 
Lazy leftover dinner. Cooked fusilli al dente then ran cool water over it. Chopped up left over turkey London broil, mozzarella, baby cucumbers. I added leftover roasted cauliflower, black olives, cherry tomatoes and baby corn. Served it all cool, with the powdered “Good Seasons Italian” dressing mix to which I added a few dashes of honey and mustard until it was umami rich. 

Good use of leftover and about 20 minutes to make. Will work well if my husband ever goes back to work in an office full time, since I can eat it whenever I’m hungry and it won’t suffer from drying out if he works late.  

Tonight was two dozen grilled clams, grilled green beans, grilled teriyaki marinated shrimp skewers all on the BGE.  No leftovers. I’m happy and full! 

369E6215-1B7D-4B49-80DF-E605CBB46B72.jpeg

Lovey looking clams - I am envious

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys. Only about $8 a dozen (to me that’s a good deal). We did have 4 dead ones out of the two dozen but I did get them at the local grocery store. 

I love clams. My dad introduced me to raw clams when we went down the shore when I was 5. My mom wasn’t happy but I love them! 

When I first moved to Hoboken (I’ve since moved back to the ‘burbs) the day I moved in I was waiting for my roommate. I went to this hole in the wall, boardwalk floored dive called Biggie’s Clam Shop. I ordered a dozen fried bellies and couldn’t wait so I got a dozen raw clams and sat there, slurping them down, contented that I finally had a decent, non restaurant job, a large apartment and a job I enjoyed in Grammercy. 

Those were some really sweet clams. 

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, heidih said:

Was it mushy or just boring?

It tasted fishy in a bad way for me...not as a whole fresh branzino, wild if possible. In all honesty, not all farm raised fish is created equal. In France too, you have different prices depending where the farm is located. The Greek and Turkish farm raised fishes are the notorious cheap one. 

I love spiny lobster. Like I love langoutines (that in Italian are called scampi, nothing to do with American scampi) but I dislike lobster and shrimps, love crabs. Ah, ah, so weird I am. 

Anyway, as predicted we went to the fishmonger, I will show you what we got in the other thread. 

I am thinking this will become a weekly tradition...not complaining because, I love it! I need to look for some good bottarga to elevate it even more. 

097C8A31-934D-4609-99D2-BFB3C69F811D.jpeg

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 10

Just now, weinoo said:

That's easy enough stuff to buy online.

Yes, but I cannot pick it to the right point I want it 😁 the darker it is the older is is too, the very light one is the freshest (and sometimes more difficult to grate). Need to look for a nice bottarga from Cabras, Sardinia. I’ll see what I can find 😃

• Like 1