• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

@Shelby – I detest squash in any guise, but if you set that carpaccio in front of me, I think that it’s beauty would convince me that it was delicious.  It just LOOKS sublime. 

@Robenco15 – you are making some beautiful pizza!  If I were eating with you I would wish for some anti-crust kids so I could have extra crust!  I liked what you said about the cheese melting, but not overly.  I don’t like when the cheese forms a crust.  But it is hard to get a good, charred crust and a melting, gooey cheese in an oven. 

@Norm Matthews – beautiful brisket.  I showed it to Mr. Kim and now he has that look in his eyes!

@liamsaunt – how I would love that sandwich buffet!  I’d unashamedly snag one of each!

@alwaysdrawing – that’s a nice looking crust on your chicken.  I love how well it’s adhering – even though it’s sliced. 

I love all manner of lobster.  Being on the east coast, I’ve mostly had Maine, of course.  I remember when @Ted Fairhead was dating my mother, he took us out to dinner and told me to order anything I liked.  I was 8, so I’m sure he expected something very ordinary.  I asked if I could have a lobster.  He gulped and asked Momma if I really knew what it was and would I eat it.  She replied that he’d be lucky if I left him one bite😁.  When we were in Bermuda a few years ago, I ate lobster.  It tasted different from what I was used to, but so good.  What kind would that have been?  (I’ve been carrying on with stories a lot lately!  Hope it is ok with y’all!🤐)

Last night started with…ta da!  Salad:

IMG_3198.jpg.96f5fc63ca2118374805439abe686ca6.jpg

I had leftover miso after making the monkfish last week and decided to use it to make scallops (what the original recipe calls for).  I took a chance and got a 12 oz.  bag of frozen US wild caught scallops for $15.  I thawed them and put them between layers of paper towels for a couple of hours in the fridge.  They seared beautifully:

IMG_3199.jpg.6ecab720bc92a442b858411e92bfda94.jpg

This recipe (which was recommended by @nakji many years ago) calls for the scallops to be dusted with flour after rubbing with garlic and salt and pepper.  I think that I slightly overcooked them because it made them stick to the pan and I nearly burnt the sauce because of the flour in the pan.  I think that next time (which is going to be Saturday because I have leftover sauce), I am just going to salt/pepper/garlic and sear them in some ghee.  I was really pleasantly surprised at the flavor of these scallops.  They amply fed the two of us, too.  Topped with mustard/miso sauce and served with ramen noodles and butter bean (leftovers that needed to be eaten):

IMG_3200.jpg.2823255ad1a249aba9a0914882d259b7.jpg

And a little ciabatta to sop up the sauce:

IMG_3202.jpg.c11866bd8869601f6e8a13d790dc9f65.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

11 hours ago, Shelby said:

How did you guys like the beef tongue?  I have one to do and I can't remember how I did it last time.  I'm trying to decide between your method and doing it for 48 hours at 158F .

I love tongue.  DH runs away from it as fast as he can.  24 hours at 170 degrees has produced a very tender meat.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, chefmd said:

I love tongue.  DH runs away from it as fast as he can.  24 hours at 170 degrees has produced a very tender meat.

Will never forget the time I brought my school roommate home without notice.   My mother saw us coming in the door and blanched.   It was dinner time.    She gasped and said, "Oh no, we're having tongue!"   My roommate beamed and said, "Great!   I LOVE tongue."   After that, she was always one of my mom's favorites.  

• Like 4

eGullet member #80.

Tongue only once via Julia. We enjoyed it but I was a new cook and the universe had so so many possibilities as did Los Angeles in general . The Panamian and I explored all that struck our imagination. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, KennethT said:

@Kim Shook The Caribbean lobsters are spiny lobsters.  I agree - they're delicious!

Why I like the Argentinian red shrimp. A similar taste in a tiny package.  I do indulg ein local spiny when season is oen.

Private Selection Extra Large Easy Peel Buttery Wild Caught Argentinean Red Raw Shrimp

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There’s a hotel in San Luis RC, Mexico that features green chile beef tongue stew in their breakfast buffet, and it is probably the only thing worth recommending the hotel for. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

Mr. Kim has Zoom poker tonight, so he stopped at the same sub shop we stopped at last weekend to get sandwiches for us tonight.  He got the Buffalo Chicken sub:

IMG_3211.thumb.jpg.2df214669697f8c846025ffe159e0b54.jpg

IMG_3214.thumb.jpg.b00bec27bee6634d21192681ffb2bb3c.jpg

He was very happy with it but said I would find it too spicy. 

I got the Italian this time – ham, Salami, and Capicola:

IMG_3210.jpg.9d79218a585d884339a12291bb74eb54.jpg

IMG_3213.jpg.3883b2f4bf81ed9598cb2242e526b1a2.jpg

Unfortunately, the capicola was spicy (was not listed as such on the menu) and I had to pull it off the sandwich.  Good sandwich otherwise. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, pastameshugana said:

There’s a hotel in San Luis RC, Mexico that features green chile beef tongue stew in their breakfast buffet, and it is probably the only thing worth recommending the hotel for. 

That sounds like a good use. I oddly tend to think French on tongue Not sensical. I posted this Alta California show link somewhere here -if ya missed it. So good.   https://www.kcet.org/shows/the-migrant-kitchen/episodes/alta-california

We were under yet another tornado warning today! Luckily, it didn't fully develop. The air was stifling outside, so no playing in the dirt today. I cranked up the a/c, turned on the fans, and had another day in the kitchen making something from my Mom's recipes. Daughter and s-i-l are home, so I made one of her childhood favourites: Char Siu Baos

Marinated 5 lbs of County style pork ribs and cook them up on the BBQ. Diced along with onion and sauteed in hoisin sauce. Made up 24 steamed baos! My Mom's recipe made exactly 24!

1306844180_CharSiu1926.jpg.186f12679cf4751fb1cc20e60b6002b8.jpg

598509834_BaoFilling1928.jpg.78b87773453521933b3ef8149105fdac.jpg

1659256655_SingleBao1935.jpg.a91c73d074bf2b4eff972b183647cc62.jpg

Daughter's other favourite dishes that I cooked up and sent back to the city:  Black Bean Garlic Beef with Bitter Melon and Ho Fun

853913015_BitterMelonHoFun1937.jpg.db223bd454cce157e3a9a5e774027ef7.jpg

My sister sent out a lb of dried shrimp meat. I've always used Har Mai (dried little shrimp) but these are the more expensive version. Stir-fried with Napa cabbage and Mung Bean Noodles

2003185093_FunSee1929.jpg.3483462ce68d902630eae52cc8c98d62.jpg

The kids have a cottage on Lake Winnipeg. They brought back some Smoked Winnipeg Goldeye! Had some leftover rice from paella, fresh peas and beans.  and quick marinated cucumber = supper!

914484670_SmokedWinnipegGoldeye1909.jpg.9414902408c8a58bcb1fb6bff25e12c2.jpg

The extreme weather warning is off. Just a few drops of rain and the power only flicked off a couple of times. Kids have left for the city with a filled cooler.

• Like 16
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

@Dejah such enticing dishes. So those bigger dried shrimp are quite different? I am using the little guys tomorrow with a few fermented black beans tossed in Not traditional but works for me. 

It had been years, maybe decades, since I'd purchased store-bought frozen French fries.

Dinner08222020.png

We all have our limits.  Not half bad.

• Like 7

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Pan seared grouper  and CSO carrots and shishito peppers

I can't see a reference to grouper without thinking of Pat Conroy's stories in Beach Music. Never had it. How would you describe it?

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

It had been years, maybe decades, since I'd purchased store-bought frozen French fries.

Dinner08222020.png

We all have our limits.  Not half bad.

While I haven't gone the French Fry route (yet), I have recently made a 2nd purchase of tater tots of interesting provenance.

• Like 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

We enjoyed the beautiful weather last night at a Thai seafood restaurant called Fish Cheeks. Definitely was not disappointed - it really hit the spot!

20200821_185050_HDR.thumb.jpg.55592d99c5d1ba9e8dbe9c3b94b5c9aa.jpg

Tables were spaced nicely apart making us feel safe and once it got dark, eating under the light of the streetlamp brought back memories of Thailand.

I'm having trouble uploading some photos, so I'll edit this post once I find out how to get it working...

20200821_195951.thumb.jpg.f78da63efb7cb4dbff91bb4942beafca.jpg

shrimp chips with chili dip

20200821_200558.thumb.jpg.f9bb8fef7059f32ee5abee815a83eede.jpg

Fried fish with cashews,some green-ish mango, lime juice... fantastic..

The rest of the photos failed to upload - all giving me the same "-200" error... I tried doing it from my phone and also my desktop computer... @Chris Hennes Is there something I can do to fix this problem? Thanks!

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

3 minutes ago, KennethT said:

We enjoyed the beautiful weather last night at a Thai seafood restaurant called Fish Cheeks. Definitely was not disappointed - it really hit the spot!

20200821_185050_HDR.thumb.jpg.55592d99c5d1ba9e8dbe9c3b94b5c9aa.jpg

Tables were spaced nicely apart making us feel safe and once it got dark, eating under the light of the streetlamp brought back memories of Thailand.

I''ve always cursed that street, whether in my car or on my bike.  Looks nice like this, however.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

I''ve always cursed that street, whether in my car or on my bike.  Looks nice like this, however.

On a bike the tables would pose a bit of a challenge, but would make for a nice slalom course.

In a car, I can understand the cursing that might ensue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TicTac said:

On a bike the tables would pose a bit of a challenge, but would make for a nice slalom course.

In a car, I can understand the cursing that might ensue.

Ain't the tables, it's the cobbles.

Tasty Travails - My Blog