• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

2 hours ago, Robenco15 said:

Pizza oven came yesterday so I’ve been busy! These are a Margarita and a Bee Sting. 

7DAC139C-2199-4E3E-88C7-7BE9763E299E.jpeg

Just a suggestion regarding safety, but you should move that away from the house/any structure. One major flame up and there goes the house.

Just sayin'...

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

Just a suggestion regarding safety, but you should move that away from the house/any structure. One major flame up and there goes the house.

Just sayin'...

Thanks for the suggestion but I’ve checked and it’s far enough away. The outside of the oven doesn’t get any where near hot enough to possibly affect the house and the front is far enough away that it isn’t an issue. I use that 160k BTU wok burner on the bottom shelf on top of the table with no problem at all. I do have a single use fire extinguisher not pictured at hand for safety, but it’s fine. As I use it more if I do think there could be a problem I can just pull the table away more than it already is. 

4 hours ago, heidih said:

Well that looks blistery hot . what did you think taste and texture wise versus your old method

Much better, lol. The crust was fluffy with some crust. The cheese melted, but not overly. The sauce still had some fresh flavor to it as it wasn’t baked in an oven for 6 minutes. Oven pizza with the baking steel are fantastic, but this is truly an entirely new level. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, shain said:

I envy you. What stunning pizzas. The char, the cheese level of (not) melting, and the ratio of puffed crust width are all what the pizzas in my dreams are like.

( I dream of pizzas, I'm sure of it even if I can't ever remember what I dream. One just knows )

Thank you so much! Extraordinarily nice of you. I’ve worked hard during quarantine to get better at making pizza and I think my skills have caught up to this oven. I’m really happy so far with the results. Appreciate the kind words!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Chopped salmon and eggplant stir fry.  I really wish my fish share would stop giving me tail pieces of salmon.  I have been wanting to make cedar planked salmon with a nice thick piece like they used to give me for weeks.

1384143410_salmoneggplant.thumb.jpg.0c8bd4e44f74a82751e2b6867bdf7b1c.jpg

Call them and tell them you are done with all the tails being sent!  Sheesh.  Not acceptable.

Not at all what I planned. It was meant to have fermented black beans, but the bag of such things which I 'definitely' bought last week has mysteriously disappeared. There is a monsoon outside, so I wasn't about to go out to get any. So, this is pork in black bean sauce without black beans.

The pork was marinated with garlic, ginger, chilli, Shaoxing and soy sauce. Finished with garlic scapes.

There was also asparagus and, of course, rice.

20200820_194150.thumb.jpg.c0a6880ad56efb59ab2cb5122d59ab09.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 10

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Enchilada-omelet verde.
Home made corn tortillas, pen fried, pressed into a spiced egg mixture and briefly fried. All coated in a salsa verde of roasted green chilies, garlic, herbs, some coriander seed and sour cream.

Filled with grilled onions, feta and mozzarella(for lack of any Mexican cheeses). Heated through, topped with more sour cream and some pickled chilies.

Elote. Charred over grill. Sour cream, some mayo, a little chipotle, garlic, lime zest (corn loves lime). Feta, for lack of cotija.

IMG_20200815_152614_1.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

1 hour ago, shain said:

Enchilada-omelet verde.
Home made corn tortillas, pen fried, pressed into a spiced egg mixture and briefly fried. All coated in a salsa verde of roasted green chilies, garlic, herbs, some coriander seed and sour cream.

Filled with grilled onions, feta and mozzarella(for lack of any Mexican cheeses). Heated through, topped with more sour cream and some pickled chilies.

Elote. Charred over grill. Sour cream, some mayo, a little chipotle, garlic, lime zest (corn loves lime). Feta, for lack of cotija.

Beautiful plate of food. I think our lauded Alta California chefs would definitely play with this.  You might enjoy this show  https://www.kcet.org/shows/the-migrant-kitchen/episodes/alta-california

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Call them and tell them you are done with all the tails being sent!  Sheesh.  Not acceptable.

Oh, it is still tasty.  I just have been craving cedar planked salmon and so I was grumpy 🙂

Last night, sandwich night.  All different kinds to pick from.  Burgers and hot dogs for the red meat eaters

burger.thumb.jpg.23fb13ae708d2be1f3ab88d030fb174c.jpg

Proscuitto, brie, and fig jam  for the non-burger eating meat eater

proscuitto.thumb.jpg.71d767a0efe14dcca89474f028a0a79f.jpg

Caprese for the mostly pescatarian eaters

caprese.thumb.jpg.08473555fd6f2439b859aa13bc406b70.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 3

You can make fun of my sushi, but please do it behind my back 🤣.  Last weeks looked even worse so you can imagine how bad it was lol.  It tastes good though.

thumbnail_IMG_8104.jpg.12091f537286f6cd9cfd0cb98f5acedc.jpg

Pork belly egg rolls and shishito peppers to go with

thumbnail_IMG_8117.jpg.a54fd21d808821d32dced6ba6691b0f7.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8116.jpg.63345c3796d1a19e2e76d17e2e31db43.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 3

13 minutes ago, Shelby said:

You can make fun of my sushi, but please do it behind my back 🤣.  Last weeks looked even worse so you can imagine how bad it was lol.  It tastes good though.

Pork belly egg rolls and shishito peppers to go with

Hey taste comes first!  You need to watch the movie East Side Sushi.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPWDLMFfZAg

• Like 1

Just now, heidih said:

I am interested in the background bottle. Some nice balsamic?

I just bought more--my new favorite balsamic.

Fattoria Estense Silver Label Sphere Balsamic.  Very flavorful, and relatively affordable as far as balsamic goes (about $10 for that bottle)

We had a socially distant dinner party last night at a friends house. I made everything except the clams with chorizo.

grilled zucchini with buffalo mozzarella dressed when hot with olive oil, a minced garlic clove, parsley, wine vinegar

clams, fennel, shallot, a little tomato and chorizo- sauce was good.

@shain baked pasta with spinach and feta- I used a spring form pan and some of the egg leaked out.  served over tomato sauce with garlic and some balsamic vinegar

Grilled lamb kebabs

and 2 killer red burgundies

IMG_2045.jpg

IMG_2048.jpg

IMG_2052.jpg

IMG_2056.jpg

IMG_2055.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 3

22 minutes ago, alwaysdrawing said:

I just bought more--my new favorite balsamic.

Fattoria Estense Silver Label Sphere Balsamic.  Very flavorful, and relatively affordable as far as balsamic goes (about $10 for that bottle)

The Amazon price looks good. I still have prime as they have not figured out I am no longer a student. ;)

54 minutes ago, scamhi said:

We had a socially distant dinner party last night at a friends house. I made everything except the clams with chorizo.

grilled zucchini with buffalo mozzarella dressed when hot with olive oil, a minced garlic clove, parsley, wine vinegar

clams, fennel, shallot, a little tomato and chorizo- sauce was good.

@shain baked pasta with spinach and feta- I used a spring form pan and some of the egg leaked out.  served over tomato sauce with garlic and some balsamic vinegar

Grilled lamb kebabs

and 2 killer red burgundies

IMG_2045.jpg

IMG_2048.jpg

IMG_2052.jpg

IMG_2056.jpg

IMG_2055.jpg

Wow!!!  That's quite a lineup!  Love Domaine Leroy....  I actually had the pleasure of seeing her specific rows of grapes in Clos de Vougeot years ago.

ETA - seeing her parcel sparked a huge debate among us about biodynamics in Burgundy...  As we were looking at her plot, a guy was spraying the crap out of his own plot about 15 rows away, and the wind carried it straight at us, past us and beyond!

Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, heidih said:

@liamsaunt those are from frozen crinkle fries - yes?  I really like them. For one person = perfection.  Excellent contrast ratio outside to inside.  I could be very wrong as often pointed out to me ;)

Yes, they are Lamb Weston brand.  Crinkle is not my favorite cut, but I have gotten them as a substitution from my Instacart shopper at times when the store is out of shoestring or regular cut.  

3 hours ago, MokaPot said:

@Shelby, sushi rolls look delicious! Your filling is centered, which is my struggle. Plus, you went the extra mile and got the roe.

You're too kind!

I've had the roe for a while in my freezer.  The Asian market had it in their freezer--I had no idea roe froze so well.