• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

12 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Blueberry08182020.png

Rose Levy Beranbaum's blueberry ice cream.  She lied.  She said it was scoopable from the freezer.  (May depend on how cold your freezer is.)

LOL - When I initially scrolled down and saw the picture at very first glance, I thought it was sliced cow tongue!  😛

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 3

44 minutes ago, ambra said:

@Franci, I didn't get to say thank you for the recipe, because I went away, sorry about that and of course thank you!

We are down in Tuscany, staying with friends, who just got this cute little guy, called "Truffle" because he is in fact a truffle hunter. The breed is a Lagotto Romagnolo. He's only 6 months old but acts like a disobedient teenager! But he does find the prize. :)  We've been watching our friends train him all week by hiding truffles all over their property for him to find, which he does!

dog.jpg.abed68a090684ea3a1eeeba8c0086a16.jpg

We did then get to eat summer truffles! (Sorry for the bad pic, I forgot to take it before I started eating...)

Followed by Tagliata with rosemary (which I also forgot to photograph before eating....)

I also made some octopus and potato salad one night.

Another night we made Pici all'Aglione (fat spaghetti in a very garlicky tomato sauce), which I didn't photograph, but here's the garlic at the shop. (The garlic in the red bag is regular garlic.) I guess it's Elephant garlic? From the Val di Chiana (which is where Chianina beef comes from), located between Siena and Arezzo. The cloves are huge and the taste is so much more delicate than regular garlic. In fact, in the pici dish, they put many, many cloves (though I don't).

When you add it to hot oil, it foams a little bit.

IMG_8253.jpg.a94af7399f1aa4d4c66cbcc90ab83321.jpg

Interesting  the training for the truffle kidl I had no idea. That garlic is not what we call elephant round here. Much more elephantine  

On 8/16/2020 at 9:10 AM, shain said:

Cautious of lightly roasted zucchini and blistered cherry tomatoes with chevre, Parmesan and herbs (thyme, oregano, tarragon, rosemary), garlic, pepper.

Green beans sauteed in butter, lemon zest, a decent amount of garlic, some vinegar, nutmeg, pepper and finished with toasted almonds and walnuts.

Semi-dry rose.

IMG_20200811_221434.jpg

IMG_20200811_222242.jpg

Shai, it's a gorgeous dish. sorry but I'm unable to figure out what a "Cautious" is. Can you help? Looks tasty.

• Like 2

On 8/17/2020 at 11:34 AM, shain said:

Rice-frittata-muffin-thingies with scallions, garlic chives, sesame, chili, oyster sauce, pepper. Those are fun to eat. Could have been amazing if battered and deep fried.

Shai, these look delightful indeed. Could you please provide a recipe for them?

On 8/14/2020 at 9:26 AM, heidih said:

@Dejah  So the little abalone were just tasteless chew? I see them in the Asian markets but have such a strong good memory of the big guys when it was legal to harvest them off the island (Santa Catalina) so I have not bought. 

There was not taste to the baby abalone. I was yearning for the larger baby ones we enjoyed in Seoul a couple of years ago. They were amazing!
But the little shells will make a pretty wind chime.

• Like 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I smoked another pork butt (why do we call it that?), 24hr marinade and 10hr cook time.

14AF02FA-6576-4088-8096-5901E03B7169_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.88268abdc96afb2a2bdd217570b51396.jpeg

Mrs M made the marinade (pineapple juice, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, red chili flake, salt/pepper, mustard & a few others I'm forgetting). The marinade got reduced into the basting liquid for the smoke, and then treated again with the pan drippings from the smoker to make the sauce for the sandwiches. She also made the coleslaw for the topping and some amazing homemade baked beans that I managed to not get a picture of... :/

I baked the rolls/buns - my first attempt at these. I used a recipe for Vienna rolls from Secrets of a Jewish Baker, I love the addition of malt syrup.

58AFD8BE-CCBF-4BFB-8E05-5F71FBDA345E_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.8de88693a15a83e743871130f70250d7.jpeg

My only gripe is that my portioning was wonky, so I had big and small rolls, which cooked slightly different. The smaller ones are slightly over, the big ones are just right.

Sandwiches turned out great!

2CA52456-18EB-49B5-ABC8-D8F6BAA5AD17_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.19db8acfc2c94466cfe9245c01776aaa.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 3

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

56 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

You’re killing me,

Well, I for one would choose the ‘big bun’.

wow, that looks fantastic. May I ask how much your butt weighed 🧐😐

Lol - yes big buns for the win.

The 'pork butt' weighed 9lbs give or take. The other one...less than it did last year!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

3 hours ago, pastameshugana said:

I smoked another pork butt (why do we call it that?), 24hr marinade and 10hr cook time.

My favorite piece of meat is pork butt.. On the Weber off to the side of the fire. Lots of garlic and herbs.Yes strange name - urban legend perhaps

Some suggest that in pre-revolutionary New England and into the American Revolutionary War, New England butchers tended to take less prized cuts of pork like hams and shoulders and pack them into barrels for storage and transport, known as a butt, which comes from the Latin word "Buttis" meaning cask or barrel.

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/138482-eg-foodblog-heidih-2011-a-slice-of-life-in-the-south-bay-of-los-a/?do=findComment&comment=1812468

6 hours ago, TdeV said:

Shai, it's a gorgeous dish. sorry but I'm unable to figure out what a "Cautious" is. Can you help? Looks tasty.

That should be Clafoutis... 😬

Thanks for pointing it out.

• Haha 1

~ Shai N.

Inspired by another thread I bought a 'Family Pie' today, it was an "Ians Chunky Pepper Steak". Pretty good for store bought. Served with Mash and Carrots for the kid - with Bisto he'd rather have in a mug to drink. 

So I did little to no cooking, but I did try doing the whipped mash they prefer. Textures too much like school dinners for me. 

Ugly, Lazy, Delicious. 

20200819_193036.thumb.jpg.4617be71ba437c418e1d125dde38994a.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

9 hours ago, heidih said:

My favorite piece of meat is pork butt.. On the Weber off to the side of the fire. Lots of garlic and herbs.Yes strange name - urban legend perhaps

Some suggest that in pre-revolutionary New England and into the American Revolutionary War, New England butchers tended to take less prized cuts of pork like hams and shoulders and pack them into barrels for storage and transport, known as a butt, which comes from the Latin word "Buttis" meaning cask or barrel.

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/138482-eg-foodblog-heidih-2011-a-slice-of-life-in-the-south-bay-of-los-a/?do=findComment&comment=1812468

Amusing, but highly unlikely, given that the word existed in English at least 200 years before America was colonised. It is much more likely to come from a word of unknown origin, but which exists in many northern European languages and meant "the thickest part". Yes, this is also where we get 'butt' or 'buttock' which has been in use since the 13th century.

c 1450 Bk. Cookery in Holkham Coll. (1882) 58 Tak Buttes of pork and smyt them to peces. 1486 Bk. St. Albans A v, The marow of hogges that is in the bone of the butte of porke.

1601 Holland Pliny I. 344 A Lion likewise hath but very little [marrow], to wit, in some few bones of his thighes & buts behind.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Grilled ratatouille (eggplant, tomatoes, zucchini, onion, bell peppers). Garlic, thyme, tarragon, basil, olive oil, balsamic vinegar.

Spinach, pasta and feta frittata, olives, some parmesan, garlic, a few spices.

Crisp crusted warm bread (bought).

IMG_20200814_151235.thumb.jpg.a036164e580a3e25ba03d1d6ae6ea05f.jpg

IMG_20200814_150629.jpg

IMG_20200814_151049.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

36 minutes ago, scamhi said:

@shain did you use any egg?  Did you use Ziti or Penne? This looks totally amazing and I would like to make it tonight

5 eggs. Ditalini, but any pasta will work. Here's a recpie:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

~ Shai N.

16 hours ago, TicTac said:

LOL - When I initially scrolled down and saw the picture at very first glance, I thought it was sliced cow tongue!  😛

You know, not too hard to make that mistake. We were in Paris in February, and at one restaurant I had veal tongue for an appetizer:

1584230878_4AmaranteIMG_0038.thumb.jpeg.a224a8fa80ca7e53231669a278ff5fa4.jpeg

• Like 5

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?