• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

14 hours ago, heidih said:

On the squash -  steamed does bring out the subtle sweetness, but have you ever done it thin sliced on a foil lined sheet pan (bit of olive oil) and broiled briefly . My favorite. Can be tossed with a little fresh garlic and torn mint for oomph before serving. Thank you Melissa Clark. And NO clean up.  https://www.glamour.com/story/dinner-tonight-zucchini-can-be

No, but I’ll have to give it a try. Have grilled spears on the PAG, but it was way too hot for that. 

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

6 hours ago, chefmd said:

How did you cook the potato?

Almost same as always.  Rubbed skin with grapeseed oil.  Baked, this time, about an hour and a half at 450F on a bed of salt.  Normally I would cook 430F for two hours but it was late and I was in a hurry.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Almost same as always.  Rubbed skin with grapeseed oil.  Baked, this time, about an hour and a half at 450F on a bed of salt.  Normally I would cook 430F for two hours but it was late and I was in a hurry.

Just curious - Do you add anything to the potato after the photo, like butter or cheese or sour cream, or do you eat it as is?

9 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

Just curious - Do you add anything to the potato after the photo, like butter or cheese or sour cream, or do you eat it as is?

I added olive oil before the picture.  Salt and pepper after.  That's usually it when the potato is served with fish.  Otherwise I would likely top with sour cream.

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Charlie discovered a Korean restaurant we haven't been to and noticed they had fried chicken on the menu.  It's the kind with the crispy skin and a sweet ginger glaze.  We have both made it before but not in at least a couple of years. It is kind of an involved process.  Anyway, Charlie ordered some an picked up for our dinner tonight.  He also got a stew with rice cake in it.  I couldn't pronounce or attempt to spell the name of it, but it's good to know we can get that really good chicken whenever.  We always just did wings but this one had some legs included. The picture was taken after dinner was done.  These are the leftovers.

20200816_170820.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

Charlie discovered a Korean restaurant we haven't been to and noticed they had fried chicken on the menu.  It's the kind with the crispy skin and a sweet ginger glaze.  We have both made it before but not in at least a couple of years. It is kind of an involved process.  Anyway, Charlie ordered some an picked up for our dinner tonight.  He also got a stew with rice cake in it.  I couldn't pronounce or attempt to spell the name of it, but it's good to know we can get that really good chicken whenever.  We always just did wings but this one had some legs included. The picture was taken after dinner was done.  These are the leftovers.

I love rice cakes in a stew or soup  - the chew!. Local markets have a variety but I like the thick coins. Here the Korean fried chicken thing  has been popular. The google map of "near me" is packed but poor images. https://la.eater.com/maps/best-essential-fried-chicken-los-angeles-restaurants  #6 is a popular Korean one - but they all look good :)  My Matt and his friends are partial to the chicken & waffles at Roscoe's - more a Southern thing.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

Really crappy day.   How can everyone in the bubble detonate at the same time?   Freezer dive for ultimate comfort food -> emergency fried fish, bottled condiments, fresh broccoli with melted Velveeta, bottled sauce and, for the non cook, lots of bubbly in a footless glass.   

IMG_0200.thumb.jpg.1d73fea07a65b4e80fb4363599ed3c77.jpg

IMG_0201.thumb.jpg.e62a917a85c65bc1df0b114d879f9930.jpg

IMG_0202.thumb.jpg.c882047694c7c886c3e229fe8625490f.jpg

I actually found this plate quite delicious, maybe because I didn't have to cook it...

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

eGullet member #80.

Staying up in Columbia County NY.  It's corn season and it's a good one.. We made a bunch for dinner the prior evening and had some leftovers.  I cut maybe 6 cobs of corn and saved in a large ziplock.  With the cobs, i added to a pot with garlic, salt, sugar, oatmilk, and shishito peppers.

Cooked for a couple of hours maybe.   reduced to 2 or 3 cups 

50235511832_85d4fe4969_z.jpg

I bought this beautiful lobster mushroom and a large bunch of oyster mushrooms:

50235551492_06c2981dc1_z.jpg

So, all over the county, there are shishito peppers.. Everyone is growing them.. I bought a bunch and cooked them last night.. I fried in oil, I topped with kosher salt and bottled key lime juice that my mother in law had recently purchased to make a cheese cake:  So, i added the two mushrooms with the peppers, corn and mushrooms.  

50235297506_956c07de14_z.jpg

Here is the same pan with the cooked corn as well as the corn stock and some parsley on top:

50235297456_65bfc5b562_z.jpg

Finally, a long fusilli and thai basil... This was ridiculously good.. The corn broth was so sweet and corny.  The sauce at the bottom was so thick that it when you dragged a finger it took a moment before closing up.

50234640713_be1967d1cc_z.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

45 minutes ago, BKEats said:

Staying up in Columbia County NY.  It's corn season and it's a good one.. We made a bunch for dinner the prior evening and had some leftovers.  I cut maybe 6 cobs of corn and saved in a large ziplock.  With the cobs, i added to a pot with garlic, salt, sugar, oatmilk, and shishito peppers.

Cooked for a couple of hours maybe.   reduced to 2 or 3 cups 

I bought this beautiful lobster mushroom and a large bunch of oyster mushrooms:

50235551492_06c2981dc1_z.jpg

So, all over the county, there are shishito peppers.. Everyone is growing them.. I bought a bunch and cooked them last night.. I fried in oil, I topped with kosher salt and bottled key lime juice that my mother in law had recently purchased to make a cheese cake:  So, i added the two mushrooms with the peppers, corn and mushrooms.  

Here is the same pan with the cooked corn as well as the corn stock and some parsley on top:

Finally, a long fusilli and thai basil... This was ridiculously good.. The corn broth was so sweet and corny.  The sauce at the bottom was so thick that it when you dragged a finger it took a moment before closing up.

Lovely fresh food. That mushroom!  So when you cook the corn cobs that long it enhances the corniness from what you reported. Perhaps I have not been bold enough.I thought it would lose an element.  And the oatmilk - a dairy sub or?

Edited by heidih (log)

6 hours ago, heidih said:

Lovely fresh food. That mushroom!  So when you cook the corn cobs that long it enhances the corniness from what you reported. Perhaps I have not been bold enough.I thought it would lose an element.  And the oatmilk - a dairy sub or?

i have been vegan for the last few months.. this was a recreation of a summer pasta dish my wife loves... I will sometimes make the corn stock, usually with  dairy and then add that corn stock to lobster stock and make a corn and lobster pasta... But, yes, the longer you cook the corn, the more corny the stock tastes... I added salt and sugar as well as the shishito peppers... The corn itself had been removed and was added towards the end.  So, taking 5 or 6 ears of corn, reducing that large pot down to about two cups of liquid... it was thick, creamy and corny.  My in laws were splitting a two pound ribeye and they had two helpings of pasta, my son who had his own version of the dish, started eating this pasta, my wife the last thing she said to me last night was, i can't wait for tomorrow because i saved a serving for tomorrow... It's the best pasta I have made in some time.  But that corn stock is really good 

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, heidih said:

I love rice cakes in a stew or soup  - the chew!. Local markets have a variety but I like the thick coins. Here the Korean fried chicken thing  has been popular. The google map of "near me" is packed but poor images. https://la.eater.com/maps/best-essential-fried-chicken-los-angeles-restaurants  #6 is a popular Korean one - but they all look good :)  My Matt and his friends are partial to the chicken & waffles at Roscoe's - more a Southern thing.

On your list, #6, OB Bear has Dak gangjeong which is the chicken both Charlie and I have made at home and is the same as from the restaurant we ordered from last night.  https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/dakgangjeong  The chicken and waffles concept, sparked an idea that using honey instead of rice or corn syrup in this Korean recipe is something to try next time.  I first heard about a Southern and Soul food restaurant that has waffles and fried chicken, around 15 years ago  I think it was one in NYC. I had never heard of it before then.  My mother's side of the family is from Southern Missouri and Arkansas and my dad's brother, who's son is my age, lived in Mississippi. 

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, BKEats said:

i have been vegan for the last few months.. this was a recreation of a summer pasta dish my wife loves... I will sometimes make the corn stock, usually with  dairy and then add that corn stock to lobster stock and make a corn and lobster pasta... But, yes, the longer you cook the corn, the more corny the stock tastes... I added salt and sugar as well as the shishito peppers... The corn itself had been removed and was added towards the end.  So, taking 5 or 6 ears of corn, reducing that large pot down to about two cups of liquid... it was thick, creamy and corny.  My in laws were splitting a two pound ribeye and they had two helpings of pasta, my son who had his own version of the dish, started eating this pasta, my wife the last thing she said to me last night was, i can't wait for tomorrow because i saved a serving for tomorrow... It's the best pasta I have made in some time.  But that corn stock is really good 

Interesting. Would  never have thought of adding "dairy" at that point. Thank you. Oh and of course we all have lobster stock hanging out ;) 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, heidih said:

Interesting. Would  never have thought of adding "dairy" at that point. Thank you. Oh and of course we all have lobster stock hanging out ;) 

I need to make some, actually, with the bag of shells I've been accumulating. I'm just waiting for a cool and breezy day, so I can open my windows and not have the whole apartment smell of lobster. I know it's a pleasant aroma for some, but after cooking off a couple of hundred pounds at a time on several occasions, I've had all I want of it for one lifetime.

• Haha 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Made Chicken Souvlaki for dinner last night. Served with rice, Greek Salad and tzatziki.

An easy work night dinner.

Put the water on to boil for the rice (I cook rice like pasta), cut up the chicken breasts and marinated them with garlic, oregano, salt, pepper and the juice of a lemon.

When the rice was "al dente" it was drained and put it back in the pot, covered with paper towels and the lid and left to steam.

The Souvlaki went on to a hot preheated grill and while it was cooking, I made the Greek salad and the Tzatziki sauce.

2094009185_ChickenSouvlakiwithGreekSaladAugust16th2020.thumb.jpg.14ec392d46eb45ad5a394bf91a373b21.jpg

We were eating in less than an hour after I got home from work.

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1