• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

On 8/10/2020 at 11:19 AM, Duvel said:

He sleeps very well every night. This is our first „active“ holiday with him - hiking, cycling, swimming ... he is up und running until 21.30h and then sleeps until 9.00h, regardless of noise, sunshine or the promise of sausages for breakfast.

And no, he didn’t get beer. I bought him an alcohol-free Weizenbier at the Hofbräuhaus, because I had my first taste of beer in Munich as well (alcoholfree of course). He didn‘t like it - neither did I then - and it‘ll probably keep him until age 19, just like his father ...

(I caught up since then)

From the age of one my daughter liked beer. After the third sip we got wise and didn't leave any bottle at arm's length. 

• Haha 5

Great looking meals everyone.

Two recents.

Never made moussaka before.  This one from Tess Mallos Middle Eastern book...straight forward and made with minced lamb.  The recipe does not include potato but I think next time I make it I will add some for more texture.

Last night was smoked chicken legs using cherry wood.  Some zucchini, Air Fryer potatoes and carrot salad.  The chicken wasn't too smoky which has been our problem in the past...just 30 minutes of smoke this time.  But we both decided we prefer our chicken just plain because the chicken is such good quality, we want to taste it more....of course didn't help that I had a little sage/garlic stuffing on these.

unnamed.thumb.jpg.391fd8340e05f2e5ac1fee0de3c69b8e.jpgunnamed-1.thumb.jpg.836e814115b2e4838e2b344494b796cc.jpg

• Like 18
  • Delicious 1

11 minutes ago, TicTac said:

95% garden sourced Greek salad imageproxy.php?img=&key=1b5586c5b8cfb2a2 (olive oil, feta & olives sadly not happening in this climate!)

chopped on a new board I made! 

9FA305E1-0A16-4AB8-B4E8-4B960ABA6D34.thumb.jpeg.0fbbab0fb832518a3e54a00f2a45af92.jpeg

Feels good to have a nice salad with your garden bounty doesn't it!  Nice board. Is that bark round the lower edge or am I overthinking?

Just now, Okanagancook said:

Never made moussaka before.  This one from Tess Mallos Middle Eastern book...straight forward and made with minced lamb.  The recipe does not include potato but I think next time I make it I will add some for more texture.

unnamed.thumb.jpg.391fd8340e05f2e5ac1fee0de3c69b8e.jpg

I only made it once.Took a chance with my non adventurous eater father-in-law. He loved it. A green salad and untraditional garlic bread and all happy. Need to revisit

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Great looking meals everyone.

Two recents.

Last night was smoked chicken legs using cherry wood.  Some zucchini, Air Fryer potatoes and carrot salad.  The chicken wasn't too smoky which has been our problem in the past...just 30 minutes of smoke this time.  But we both decided we prefer our chicken just plain because the chicken is such good quality, we want to taste it more....of course didn't help that I had a little sage/garlic stuffing on these.

unnamed.thumb.jpg.391fd8340e05f2e5ac1fee0de3c69b8e.jpgunnamed-1.thumb.jpg.836e814115b2e4838e2b344494b796cc.jpg

The moussaka looks great. When I think of that dish I tend to think of the Egyptian version (which @Wolfert said at the time should be spelled mussaka) which has eggplant, the lamb mixture, and a tomato-based sauce.

(Gratuitous plug here:) If anyone is interested in various takes on moussaka, have a look at the eG Cook-off#7: Moussaka topic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, heidih said:

Feels good to have a nice salad with your garden bounty doesn't it!  Nice board. Is that bark round the lower edge or am I overthinking?

It is a fantastic feeling.  And even better when your 3 little kids (under 7 y/o) all get excited and love it as well.

That is indeed bark around the edge.  This was a piece of wood I found at a friend's cottage that has to be 10+ years old (it sucked up a TON of coconut oil!) and I wanted to see what might happen and how things would fare in the long run if I left the bark on, as I like the look of it.

I am not using this board for any raw meats or things that will require serious scrubbing, so I will not need to really submerge it or do any deep cleaning....

Bit of an experiment, we shall see what happens :)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TicTac said:

It is a fantastic feeling.  And even better when your 3 little kids (under 7 y/o) all get excited and love it as well.

A farmer acquaintance of mine joked with me once that when you send your youngster out to the garden to pick which veggies will be for supper, it neatly avoids the whole question of whether they'll eat 'em.

I've been finding that with the grandkids, too...the only real issue is to keep them from picking things before they're ready.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

4 minutes ago, TicTac said:

I have a distinct visual and auditory memory of the time the kid around the corner asked what a plant was in my raised bed. I broke off a piece of celery and he yelped "Mrs. K do you have peanut butter - this is amazing!" Fun when they first get a taste of a veg with real "taste"

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, chromedome said:

A farmer acquaintance of mine joked with me once that when you send your youngster out to the garden to pick which veggies will be for supper, it neatly avoids the whole question of whether they'll eat 'em.

Goes for catching fish too. Mine with his first catch (off a pier) . I cleaned them and grilled them. He found them delicious. Can't see the tackle box - it was a Peanuts Snoopy one. Kept for years.

IMG_1413.JPG

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 8

August seems to be the Pizza month...... and it is quiet late diner time......

Z7XHlWg.jpg

- Vegeterian Pizza: Courgettes - Aubergines - Onions - Red and Yellow Bell Peppers....etc

xD1hezF.jpg

- Bresaola Pizza

gdUId7n.jpg

Dessert:

- Raspberry Panna Cotta

2uwH51z.jpg

- Strawberry Cheesecake

KY9SiR1.jpg

Do you eat cold left over pizza the day after. I confess I do. It is a great hangover cure........until brunch that is......

Edited by Nicolai (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 1

40 minutes ago, Nicolai said:

August seems to be the Pizza month...... and it is quiet late diner time......

- Bresaola Pizza

gdUId7n.jpg

Dessert:

- Raspberry Panna Cotta

Do you eat cold left over pizza the day after. I confess I do. It is a great hangover cure........until brunch that is......

Interesting - so the bresaola and  rocket? were put on the baked base after? 

Cold pizza is standard hangover cure for college fraternity boys in the US

I can't think about Panna Cotta without remembering  from 1000 Days in Tuscany by Marlena de Blasi :

"I do that only with some of Assunta's milk. Can't make a decent panna cotta with pasteurized milk,"

Assunta is a blue eyed cow and the milk is from the morning milk.

Edited by heidih (log)

Cold pizza isn't really a hangover cure. I think it's just the first thing you see in a box on the floor when you stumble from bed or the couch. It takes fewer brain cells to eat it for breakfast than anything else, and usually you don't have to walk as far as the kitchen. 

I say "you" because I really don't mean me. It's been several decades since I ate cold pizza.

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, heidih said:

Goes for catching fish too. Mine with his first catch (off a pier) . I cleaned them and grilled them. He found them delicious. Can't see the tackle box - it was a Peanuts Snoopy one. Kept for years.

IMG_1413.JPG

Love this photo!!!

@chromedome - you are absolutely right, when you give the kids ownership in the planting and maintenance of the garden, their minds open up to the possibilities and often so do the taste buds!

Case in point, my 2 year old (just turned 3) daughter loves watering with me every night, though I believe her real motivation are her 'snax'!  She loves to pick off bits of cilantro (flowers, seeds, and all), dill, basil and munch on them - even more so, the ground cherries - finger candy for the kids.

We were up at a cottage last week and I took the fishing rod, caught a few fish and my eldest (7) was thrilled to be able to reel it in, but more importantly, touch and hold it (I taught him about putting a thumb into the fishes mouth and holding it by the lip - he got a real kick out of that one)...

Good times.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Love this photo!!!

@chromedome - you are absolutely right, when you give the kids ownership in the planting and maintenance of the garden, their minds open up to the possibilities and often so do the taste buds!

Case in point, my 2 year old (just turned 3) daughter loves watering with me every night, though I believe her real motivation are her 'snax'!  She loves to pick off bits of cilantro (flowers, seeds, and all), dill, basil and munch on them - even more so, the ground cherries - finger candy for the kids.

We were up at a cottage last week and I took the fishing rod, caught a few fish and my eldest (7) was thrilled to be able to reel it in, but more importantly, touch and hold it (I taught him about putting a thumb into the fishes mouth and holding it by the lip - he got a real kick out of that one)...

Good times.

You betcha. Sadly, my ground cherries were (ahem) grounded by inclement weather this spring, and I got zero germination. I'll try that again next year.

My kids both loved fishing with their grandpa (my dad) and I'm looking forward to taking my grandkids out sometime soon.

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Glass noodles in Thai yellow curry, with extra spices, mainly toasted coriander seeds, garlic, ginger, chilies. Shrimp, fish sauce, oyster sauce, coconut cream, lime juice and zest, a little sugar. One of my favorites.

Fire roasted eggplants in Thai style salad sauce of fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, chilies, garlic, ginger herbs (basil, scallions, some cilantro and mint), shallots, eggs, shrimps, crisp fried shallots.

And sticky rice for the salad.

IMG_20200809_221100.thumb.jpg.00ee9b7a44196fc2a2d5ebb200f4f568.jpg

IMG_20200809_220439.jpg

IMG_20200809_220453_1.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

Not a cold pizza lover, BTW. I can make myself eat room temp pizza, but not cold / day old.

When I was younger and less kitchen-wise, I'd just microwave or toast it in the oven - each has it's disadvantages.

Those days, I'd apply water to the cheese so that it doesn't dry further, and reheat on the bottom of a very hot oven.

Leftover/room-temp cheese less pizza is OK, but I'd still prefer it reheated.

• Like 2

~ Shai N.

2 hours ago, heidih said:

Interesting - so the bresaola and  rocket? were put on the baked base after? 

Cold pizza is standard hangover cure for college fraternity boys in the US

I can't think about Panna Cotta without remembering  from 1000 Days in Tuscany by Marlena de Blasi :

"I do that only with some of Assunta's milk. Can't make a decent panna cotta with pasteurized milk,"

Assunta is a blue eyed cow and the milk is from the morning milk.

Under the Bresaola and rocket blanket lies a bed of marinara sauce and mozzarella. I also cheated and had Parmesan shavings on top for good measure.

34 minutes ago, Nicolai said:

Under the Bresaola and rocket blanket lies a bed of marinara sauce and mozzarella. I also cheated and had Parmesan shavings on top for good measure.

From the "more is better school" ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Grouper (IQF) seared both sides in pan then finished in oven (wish we could get fresh grouper). Steamed asparagus with miso-tahini sauce, mini eggplants from the farmstand split in half and cooked until brown in pan, drizzled with balsamic glaze. Couscous from a box mix.

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

5 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Cold pizza isn't really a hangover cure.

The cure is what you drink with the cold pizza.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

35 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The cure is what you drink with the cold pizza.

I thought it was just a latent alcohol absorption mechanism. In this city the "cure" is menudo or  some goat birria. Pho works too.

• Like 1