• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

We had dinner a little early. I grilled the wings early expecting to reheat them with the sauce later, but by the time they were done on the grill, we were both hungry and ate them right away. Charlie said they were a good appetizer.  I thought they would be less messy if we used the sauce for dipping instead of coating them but I was wrong. They were still messy.

20200812_150802.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Franci said:

Yesterday night we had steamed crabs and fried cod. I broke my retainer at lunch with a piece of bread and thought pasta would be easy enough to eat...mistake. 2 weeks before orthodontist appointment. 

Oops on the dental issue - hope no pain.  All looks good. Wondering the crab with the black shell edge - is that what we know as Florida stone crab? It was my pregnancy crave food. 

Edited by heidih (log)

252010C6-93EB-48AE-836E-442314E3D7E9.thumb.jpeg.cf42e5963b55d33f047a998399e7f241.jpeg

not a great photo. Hot, open-faced pork loin sandwich with broccoli. Note 2 Note to @rotuts

The pork loin was almost as tender and juicy as the pork tenderloin.

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

59 minutes ago, Franci said:

Yesterday night we had steamed crabs and fried cod. I broke my retainer at lunch with a piece of bread and thought pasta would be easy enough to eat...mistake. 2 weeks before orthodontist appointment. 

B4C809DF-64E8-496F-AC5A-84A4F77B511E.jpeg

Sorry to hear about your dental woes -

Curious however as to the reasoning behind placing the sauce on top of cooked pasta vs. not cooking the pasta in the sauce a bit (which is surely the Italian way to do things!)

2 hours ago, TicTac said:

Curious however as to the reasoning behind placing the sauce on top of cooked pasta vs. not cooking the pasta in the sauce a bit (which is surely the Italian way to do things!)

In reality I had to think about this for a second. Not all Italians cook pasta in the sauce. If it’s quick cooking sauce, with vegetable, shellfish, or even cherry tomatoes for which I’d use a sauté pan,  I will sauté the pasta al dente with the sauce. But if it’s a simmering sauce that I cooked in  a pot I will not cook the pasta in the sauce. You will never see anybody sautéing tagliatelle in bolognese sauce 😮 Sometimes pasta get mixed with the sauce if I decide to serve at the table for the whole family in a big pasta bowl and portion at the table (with extra sauce handy for people who like more sauce) but if I hand out single portion, the sauce is going to go in the middle.  BTW, my chinese husband saying that also for him is normal the idea to have the sauce on top. 

3 hours ago, heidih said:

Oops on the dental issue - hope no pain.  All looks good. Wondering the crab with the black shell edge - is that what we know as Florida stone crab? It was my pregnancy crave food. 

No pain but very annoying...The crab is Scottish rock crab the Florida crab is more orange. I guess the husband went cheap 😁

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, heidih said:

@Franci good on no pain. Crab of any sort excites me generally. From my ancient blog 

I understand the crab excitement :) We used to have a weekly crab night when living in Manhattan before children. 12 crabs and beer 😁. Only one time in Shanghai I had the pleasure of having the Shanghai crab in season and I’ve never been that slow to eat 2 crabs in my life 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Franci said:

I understand the crab excitement :) We used to have a weekly crab night when living in Manhattan before children. 12 crabs and beer 😁. Only one time in Shanghai I had the pleasure of having the Shanghai crab in season and I’ve never been that slow to eat 2 crabs in my life 

Slow enjoyment is good :) The place I posted is usually all big groups. They provide newspaper for the tables. People smuggle in their own rice and dipping sauces. It is a joy filled food place. You forget that you are sitting on really cold concrete benches.

• Like 2

@Franci – in all the crab and pasta talk, your fried cod got lost!  It looks so good. 

@Anna N – so how did you make your nice looking gravy😄?

@robirdstx – I love smashed burgers best of all!

Not sure where this belongs.  I remember  a discussion of this somewhere.  Almost 2 qts. of corn cob stock:

IMG_3112.thumb.jpg.c5b8f36154f43415d7a78901487e6780.jpg

Now I’ve got to figure out what I’m going to do with them.

Appetizer tonight:

IMG_3113.thumb.jpg.e5ddafa99251f3651c24e08795b385d5.jpg

@robirdstx's Pan-Fried String Cheese.  So good and surprisingly filling.  I only ate one and had to wait awhile to have the rest of my dinner! 

Salad:

IMG_3115.thumb.jpg.e129dad2fd8a5a4a8a006656a9684ca2.jpg

And penne rigate with meat sauce:

IMG_3117.jpg.7edc76f9ddee590fa4d3d93bfb6d94be.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 3

39 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

@Franci – in all the crab and pasta talk, your fried cod got lost!  It looks so good. 

@Anna N – so how did you make your nice looking gravy😄?

@robirdstx – I love smashed burgers best of all!

Not sure where this belongs.  I remember  a discussion of this somewhere.  Almost 2 qts. of corn cob stock:

IMG_3112.thumb.jpg.c5b8f36154f43415d7a78901487e6780.jpg

Now I’ve got to figure out what I’m going to do with them.

When I have any "stock" meat or veg I just use it as the liquid in whatever I am cooking. To loosen a pasta or make a sauce in a stir fry.. It is just a flavorful add and can be "fun"

• Like 2

A first attempt at ผัดไทย - Phad Thai. Shrimp, tofu, egg, rice noodles, beansprouts and garlic chives. It was OK, but let down by what inspired it. I'd come across this Phad Thai paste in the local store and thought I'd give it a try. It lacked oomph. Next time, I'll interfere with it!

20200813_180507.thumb.jpg.1ff9d99f405d4a842e86e4e9a2963229.jpg

20200813_180522.thumb.jpg.d9df4942dbdf0dc58cc6d5605d06bcee.jpg

20200813_133141.thumb.jpg.42546734ab54aa92774b18c43d190f27.jpg

I have happily used this brand's Thai curry sauces before, so was disappointed.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

9 hours ago, Franci said:

In reality I had to think about this for a second. Not all Italians cook pasta in the sauce. If it’s quick cooking sauce, with vegetable, shellfish, or even cherry tomatoes for which I’d use a sauté pan,  I will sauté the pasta al dente with the sauce. But if it’s a simmering sauce that I cooked in  a pot I will not cook the pasta in the sauce. You will never see anybody sautéing tagliatelle in bolognese sauce 😮 Sometimes pasta get mixed with the sauce if I decide to serve at the table for the whole family in a big pasta bowl and portion at the table (with extra sauce handy for people who like more sauce) but if I hand out single portion, the sauce is going to go in the middle.  BTW, my chinese husband saying that also for him is normal the idea to have the sauce on top. 

Exactly how this Italian does it!  Although even with long simmered sauces (like my favorite meat sauces/gravies), I'll often use some of the sauce and mix it with the pasta in the kitchen and put more sauce on top...if I don't, I'm guaranteed a giant mess at the table, as Significant Eater shows off her pasta tossing "skills" during dinner.

• Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

30 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

A first attempt at ผัดไทย - Phad Thai. Shrimp, tofu, egg, rice noodles, beansprouts and garlic chives. It was OK, but let down by what inspired it. I'd come across this Phad Thai paste in the local store and thought I'd give it a try. It lacked oomph. Next time, I'll interfere with it!

I though you said all those pastes need a kick in the ass?!

Tasty Travails - My Blog

1117781197_Salmonetc.08-11.jpeg.e76ea698377bcf3a550aaee29cdb2e17.jpeg

Since Wednesdays are a major food delivery day, I spend a fair amount of time in the kitchen, riffing around with all the stuff I've just gotten. It gives me some room in the fridge (rather than a whole eggplant, a pint of baba ghanouj, for instance). And then we can have some for dinner, and some for the next couple of days, whether at lunch or as part of a dinner. Sig Eater loves having a lot of different things to play around with on her dinner plate!

So - slow-roasted and unsmoked wild sockeye. Za'atar pita crisps - which are decidedly better using plain as opposed to whole wheat pitas. Tzatziki. Baba ghanouj. Gazpacho - which came out really great.  Lots of cilantro, scallion, chives, sherry vinegar, olive oil, jalapeno and Anaheim chilis, tomatoes. There was one complaint from my dining companion - that the gazpacho would be better served in an icy bowl, as opposed to an icy glass...💣

• Like 9

Tasty Travails - My Blog

@weinoo

""   rather than a whole eggplant, a pint of baba ghanouj "

if you delete the eggplant , you would have room in the fridge for a pint of somethings

way more interesting .   your imagination is the lonely limit.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Since Wednesdays are a major food delivery day, I spend a fair amount of time in the kitchen, riffing around with all the stuff I've just gotten. It gives me some room in the fridge (rather than a whole eggplant, a pint of baba ghanouj, for instance). And then we can have some for dinner, and some for the next couple of days, whether at lunch or as part of a dinner. Sig Eater loves having a lot of different things to play around with on her dinner plate!

So - slow-roasted and unsmoked wild sockeye. Za'atar pita crisps - which are decidedly better using plain as opposed to whole wheat pitas. Tzatziki. Baba ghanouj. Gazpacho - which came out really great.  Lots of cilantro, scallion, chives, sherry vinegar, olive oil, jalapeno and Anaheim chilis, tomatoes. There was one complaint from my dining companion - that the gazpacho would be better served in an icy bowl, as opposed to an icy glass...💣

I think your Sig Eater and I are twins separated at birth!