• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

Pasta al forno with smoked gouda, smoked paprika (two very different types of smoke flavor), caramelized onion, lots of garlic, chili, parsley, a hint of cumin. Baked crisp.

Served with pickles, white cheese, chopped salad with tahini, and beer.

IMG_20200806_215711.jpg

IMG_20200806_220644.jpg

• Like 16

~ Shai N.

11 hours ago, pastameshugana said:

@liamsaunt your ratatouille and pork chops look absolutely incredible! Is that a compound butter?

Yes, it is ramp butter.  I made a few logs of it and froze it when I was getting ramps from my CSA.

Last night, crispy fish sandwich with haddock from my fish share

fishwich.thumb.jpg.b79178a08541ba970319d714609924b9.jpg

• Like 20
  • Delicious 1

@Shelby – How do you do your broccoli beef?  The beef looks so tender and the sauce looks the perfect consistency.

@liamsaunt – it is only 10:30am and I want that fish sandwich right now.  I like that you serve it with slaw.  If I ever get around to making it for us, I’ll remember that slaw. 

Found some massive pork chops the other day.  Rubbed with Penzey’s Ozark seasoning and sous vide, then seared in an iron skillet in ghee:

IMG_3095.jpg.dcd8844d41ca65d35ef8aa199e8eea67.jpg

I also did green beans and those Melting Potatoes again, except without the chicken stock.  Mr. Kim suggested doing some caramelized onions to go with the pork chops – that evolved into adding some of the pork juices from the SV bag and some Sam Jones NC BBQ sauce that he’d gotten at a BBQ competition he judged awhile back.  The chops and sauce were wonderful.  Also corn and rolls leftover from our Italian/Greek meal:

IMG_3093.jpg.b4eebdff8cd60efbf2100ac040a95565.jpg

IMG_3096.jpg.e79811c57053eaa4792a99db31c5302c.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

dinner last night was boneless pork chops (each cut in half for more grilling surface area. Marinated in kalbi sauce.

And the Thai salad from the NY Times. Persian cucumbers, campari tomatoes, red onion, serrano chili, fresh ginger cut into matchsticks, basil , cilantro and chopped peanuts.  Dressing of fish sauce, sugar, lime juice and lime zest

IMG_1961.jpg

IMG_1960.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 4

20 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@TdeV – those beans and potatoes looks SO good!  Do you do them separately and put them together to serve or cook them together.  If together, when do you add the potatoes?

Kim, I vaguely remember. Done in the Instant Pot on Ultra, no pressure, probably High. The beans had chopped onions, then 1/2" or so rich stock (with chicken fat) was added and cooked for about an hour. Then the potatoes were added and steam/cooked about half an hour; then the potatoes were flipped over, for another half hour. The total time was somewhere between 2-3.5 hours. When the potatoes were almost done, I lowered the heat.

These were new potatoes, so very fresh.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Way back when at the "start" of the pandemic panic we grabbed a couple of bags of mixed frozen veg when we couldn't get our normals. I hate the stuff - I have nothing against frozen veg or stirfry mixes and rely on it heavily but the cheap corn/peas/carrot always seems to me to be the seconds/ thirds. Anyway in the current climate I refuse to throw them out - and the way prices are rising I may have to learn to like them. 

"Sausage Casserole & Mash". Not gourmet by any means but tasty enough in its own way and frugal!

20200812_185302.thumb.jpg.8b78ef146b3cea150af71d3ec89c9bef.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

904501040_Steakribeye08-10.thumb.JPG.70895fc6ea22161c3fcea274699f4f82.JPG

A couple of nights ago, I did a reverse sear on that rib eye. I might use it this morning for steak and eggs, or fried rice or something. It was good.

964990152_Thaicurrymise08-10.thumb.JPG.784fe35cfb989dcceb011a41061f10bd.JPG

I really enjoy the prep for various Asian food I make.  Something anal about it, and I used to be in finance in a previous life, so...there are shallots and garlic, shaved palm sugar, lemongrass and ginger, scallions and chives, lime juice and fish sauce. Not shown - a bunch of herbs, the eggplant and chicken. 

2047461697_Thaieggplantandchickenredcurry08-10.thumb.JPG.9513f4e10ed85e03b7abadb197e1e022.JPG

Chicken, eggplant and potato red curry. Jasmine rice.The premade jarred curry paste from Thai Kitchen needs a little boost, in my opinion. Looking forward to trying those little other brand of cans of premade curry paste.

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

54 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Looking forward to trying those little other brand of cans of premade curry paste.

I've never found one that didn't need a kick up the backside!

I also enjoy Asian prep, which is just as well as I am in Asia!

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

39 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I've never found one that didn't need a kick up the backside!

I also enjoy Asian prep, which is just as well as I am in Asia!

Definitely need that kick - and maybe a schtickle of shrimp paste too.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

made some dry cannellini beans, yesterday. So dinner was a salad with some of those beans, tuna, red onion (organic), green beans parsley. dressed with sherry vinegar and lots of olive oil.

Albariño in the glass

IMG_1970.jpg

IMG_1971.jpg

• Like 18
  • Delicious 2

32 minutes ago, scamhi said:

made some dry cannellini beans, yesterday. So dinner was a salad with some of those beans, tuna, red onion (organic), green beans parsley. dressed with sherry vinegar and lots of olive oil.

Albariño in the glass

Quite a favorite here.

As are BLTs!

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Definitely need that kick - and maybe a schtickle of shrimp paste too.

Right - most purchased curry pastes don't include the shrimp paste (maybe for allergy reasons?) so you definitely need to add about a tsp or so on your own.

5 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Way back when at the "start" of the pandemic panic we grabbed a couple of bags of mixed frozen veg when we couldn't get our normals. I hate the stuff - I have nothing against frozen veg or stirfry mixes and rely on it heavily but the cheap corn/peas/carrot always seems to me to be the seconds/ thirds. Anyway in the current climate I refuse to throw them out - and the way prices are rising I may have to learn to like them. 

"Sausage Casserole & Mash". Not gourmet by any means but tasty enough in its own way and frugal!

Despite having a vegetable garden. my mother used to buy those. I think she thought it was "American". I found that margarine (no butter allowed in the house), pepper, and a heavy hand with that cheap powdery parmesan and you had a kinda tasty side.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scamhi said:

Albariño in the glass

IMG_1970.jpg

IMG_1971.jpg

Night before last I finished off a bag of Marcella beans and made similar.  Used Vidalia onion though.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@Ann_T - Every time I see one of your posts, I get a new craving.

@CantCookStillTry – The vegetable mix is sold here as “Veg-All” in the US.  Here you can also get it in cans.  I have to say that yours looks like better quality vegetables than the bags I’ve purchased in the past.  It’s not a bad start to a quick soup. 

Hot dogs for dinner with fixed up canned baked beans and fruit:

IMG_3104.jpg.2bdb28b132f4e2007c10b65197635848.jpg

IMG_3102.jpg.0724f2880da98718a72fa3b503f59576.jpg

And corn (it’s August):

IMG_3107.jpg.51e5fdae277b00ac194caf9b2e01b7b4.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1