• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

We ordered delivery from Hanoi House for the first time. I have to say that I'm really impressed - it will not be the last for sure!

The best bun cha we've had since we almost missed our flight in Hanoi looking for more of this marvel of pork...

IMG_20200808_195311_329.thumb.jpg.9423c0872390faa2c60f46db20f182c8.jpg

Pork and crab spring roll, super tender grilled pork slices and hiding in the murky broth is some really savory grilled pork patty wrapped in a true betel leaf!!!

One day soon I'll try to grow some betel leaves so I can make a proper bo la lot.

• Like 15

9 minutes ago, KennethT said:

We ordered delivery from Hanoi House for the first time. I have to say that I'm really impressed - it will not be the last for sure!

The best bun cha we've had since we almost missed our flight in Hanoi looking for more of this marvel of pork...

Pork and crab spring roll, super tender grilled pork slices and hiding in the murky broth is some really savory grilled pork patty wrapped in a true betel leaf!!!

One day soon I'll try to grow some betel leaves so I can make a proper bo la lot.

Great!  On of my favorites in a 7 course is the betel wrapped.  

• Like 1

My favorite version was in a small restaurant in the Tra Quay vegetable village in Hoi An - they grilled their flat in about a 12x12 inch square. A layer of betel leaves, then a layer of beef and then the layer of thinly sliced lemongrass. I'll search for a photo...

Found it....

20170702_122252.thumb.jpg.118aee911a55fb94a928834754e17d7a.jpg

Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Like 8

26 minutes ago, kayb said:

Paella. I have done better.

20200808_185454.thumb.jpg.e69572f7302ea59f3c7057df58cb462f.jpg

What rice did you use?  Does not look like a short grain variety.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

14 hours ago, Bernie said:

Once you break the kernel, the starch becomes available but the outer covering survives (I guess that is "enough roughage to prevent constipation" as suggest in good health diets)

So there probably is yet another reason to avoid corn

Or maybe another reason to dive in?

1704337106_Amatriciana08-07.jpeg.0901f9df6cb9c1337203432bc4b3bec7.jpeg

all'Amatriciana. (I like ths pasta shape - it's called Genovesine, by Faella.)

2039728640_Carrotsaladescarole08-07IMG_1841.jpeg.f750a69108526e199904aae1d9b0e1e3.jpeg

Alongside, carottes râpées and sautéed escarole.

• Like 14

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Remaining Naepolitian dough. Even better texture after another 2 nights int the fridge, though it might also be due to me shortening the proofing a little. 

Pesto, mozzarella (dry), ricotta flavored with pepper and salt, tomatoes.

Peaches, cream, mozzarella (fresh), basil, balsamic vinegar, vanilla, pepper.

IMG_20200802_221107.jpg

IMG_20200802_221206.jpg

IMG_20200802_224512.jpg

IMG_20200802_224545.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 14

~ Shai N.

16 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

What rice did you use?  Does not look like a short grain variety.

Arborio.  Didn't have any Bomba.

16 hours ago, heidih said:

Trouble shooting what was not so great?

I dunno. I think it was the flavor the sausages imparted. I used a tag end of chorizo and one of sopressata.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

47 minutes ago, kayb said:

I dunno. I think it was the flavor the sausages imparted. I used a tag end of chorizo and one of sopressata.

Arborio should have worked fine.

I slice my chorizo and then soak it in cold water for a while.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Oh no the visual is frightening. I recently bought my aged father Bomba compression socks. Google pops the ad up every single day!

• Haha 1

I came across a video of Jaques Pepin making soup from whatever he found in the refrigerator and he mentioned that he didn't throw away the chicken skins.  He crisped them up in the oven.  He didn't give any details on how he did it, he just had some that he broke up and added to the soup, like crackers.  I wanted to try that so I looked for his method and when I was looking, I found his recipe for crusty chicken thighs and decided I'd make that for dinner today.  (the crispy chicken skins were good but they were just a snack yesterday) I also came across a recipe for strawberry mousse and remembered  I had not made that since before I met Charlie's mom so decided to make that too. It looked fancier that the one I used to make.  We had some kimche with it but it didn't make it into the picture.

20200809_163551.jpg

• Like 18
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, Norm Matthews said:

I came across a video of Jaques Pepin making soup from whatever he found in the refrigerator and he mentioned that he didn't throw away the chicken skins.  He crisped them up in the oven.  He didn't give any details on how he did it, he just had some that he broke up and added to the soup, like crackers.  I wanted to try that so I looked for his method and when I was looking, I found his recipe for crusty chicken thighs and decided I'd make that for dinner today.  (the crispy chicken skins were good but they were just a snack yesterday) I also came across a recipe for strawberry mousse and remembered  I had not made that since before I met Charlie's mom so decided to make that too. It looked fancier that the one I used to make.  We had some kimche with it but it didn't make it into the picture.

Has crispy chicken skin ever had a poor reception ;)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Flat iron steak, saba glazed sprouts and twice baked potato

Where did you source your saba. I no longer have grapevines. Ouch mine 

I put some wagyu sirloin on the cast iron grilled. Roasted one eggplant and some tomatoes. Son cooked the peppers (and took his own photo 😁) and then I discovered some cooked farro in the freezer, to which I added some of the TJ’s chili onion crunch and some parsley. 

6760991C-AEAF-4835-8607-582A8E12AD6F.jpeg

41D67ACC-78BF-4506-BD00-912E3C9E6FE7.jpeg

BEE2E343-92E9-4551-8ED2-2783CEC236A9.jpeg

DF9887FA-32F6-47EC-8CD2-DA2A4076427E.jpeg

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 15
  • Delicious 2

47 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Amazon.

Well wouda guessed . Just playing with ya, I have that deep memory of Steven about Saba. Oh these times prompt odd memories

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1