• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

I little lazy taking photo of dinner recently. A couple days ago I did chinese pork roast but instead of my usual steamed bread, I went italian, doing the fusion that is usual in my house. So tigelle and pork roast. Man, I should sell the idea to some restaurants because this stuff works really well. 

Tonight I fried some cod, some calamari still from the freezer and croquetas de chorizo for the rest of the gang, for me a little bowl of noodles, salad and roasted cod. 

2E657E3E-10E8-4AF7-8ABB-3845AEFAA527.jpeg

56187880-4180-490D-9FDE-96274E029FAC.jpeg

8E5E8BC6-D974-4BA5-8E47-6FC23C48CE83.jpeg

0EC8368A-93BB-4701-A93F-688E9CC145DA.jpeg

70945C32-7CEF-43C8-817E-0281762CCD89.jpeg

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 17
  • Delicious 2

Thanks to someone or several someones on this topic (or was it the lunch topic?) I got the idea to roast down some gorgeous summer tomatoes and onions, along with a couple of eggplants. Maybe I'd even get energetic and toss them with fresh pasta. Maybe I'd put them into a tart or galette.

Unbeknownst to me during this planning process, my darling was rooting around in a freezer. He came in, accusing me: "I've found some sausages from last January!" I took a look. Well...no, they were only from last MarchBut I agree that it defeats the purpose of buying hot Italian sausage "handmade fresh in Arizona today!" when one sticks them in a freezer and forgets them for nearly 5 months. They went into the mix.

Two huge eggplants, several tomatoes, several onions were cut up, drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled with salt and herbs, then roasted until they collapsed. The sausages kept them company in the roasting pans but didn't collapse. The lot was chopped and tossed with freshly cooked dried pasta. Not bad, not bad at all.

20200805_204745.jpeg

Even better with grated parmesan. Somehow, that made the sauce elements stick to the noodles better.

20200805_215832.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 hours ago, heidih said:

Hhmm can you elaborate please

I split the baby gems in half and brushed with olive oil. I placed them on a hot grill till they had marks on both sides.  I made my usual Caesar dressing.  I had read This article about salad breadcrumbs instead of hard croutons and wanted to try it. 

So much flavor in them compared to croutons, and was nicer to eat. 

I'm not a fan of baby gems for regular salad, but I thought that since they are such sturdy little buggers, they would grill well. And, they are a better size than a big romaine head. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Parallels one of my favorite sayings:   “Not my circus, not my monkeys”.

We whisper this to each other when we see misbehaving children out in public. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

I'm not quite sure what to make of this dinner, although I just ate it.  I wasn't feeling on top form and kind of threw it together.

Egg fried rice with cabbage. Red lentils with onion, cumin, fennel seed, turmeric, chilli and scallion. 1-10-10 chicken breast finished with Shichimi Togarishi.

It was a lot better than anticipated or the images suggest.

20200806_172958.thumb.jpg.40928ccea9df9d7ea154d957bc953fbf.jpg

20200806_173005.thumb.jpg.8e63f0b423f2ca0512401753ed07e179.jpg

The rest of the chicken breast is in the fridge to be incorporated into breakfast - somehow.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 12

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 hours ago, scamhi said:

@liamsaunt this looks really good. Can you let me know how you made it. is the salmon cooked or raw?

The salmon is lightly cooked with ginger, cilantro, fish sauce, lemongrass, palm sugar, Thai basil and shallots.  I don't measure, just add to taste.  I put crushed peanuts on top for texture.

Last night, I made a loaf of semolina rye bread and we ate it as zucchini melts with a kale salad that had pistachios and golden raisins in it.

2071182707_semolinarye.thumb.jpg.47acb48f570e72fefe5e3b31920d33c7.jpg

1711952119_zucchinimelts.thumb.jpg.2ad1c7d914c2ebbdf5a37b99a7aa9eb5.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

11 hours ago, Smithy said:

Thanks to someone or several someones on this topic (or was it the lunch topic?) I got the idea to roast down some gorgeous summer tomatoes and onions, along with a couple of eggplants. Maybe I'd even get energetic and toss them with fresh pasta.

I think it was @shain  That is who planted it in my head. I tossed it with cellentani pasta shape. I don't cook for dad and wife as we have sharply different tastes and mealtimes BUT I shared it with stepmother who is not eggplant conversant. She said it was the first time she really enjoyed it. 

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 3

Classic pesto, from some days ago. Salad of tomatoes and cuces on the side.

Most pastas I'll mix with the sauce in the cooking pot, but not peso. For pesto, I'll plate the plain pasta (and green beans in this case) along with some cooking water, then a small heap of sauce on the said. To be mixed right before eating.

Another tip is to briefly freeze the basil, I find that it helps it become a smoother paste and releases more flavor

IMG_20200730_222351.thumb.jpg.881c2bca54d4b5624b406424a98de565.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

Instituted pre-dinner cocktails last night:

IMG_3029.thumb.jpg.221ed39cc4ed52db0ff4785ca1deefb9.jpg

@Michael Ruhlman's Lemon Drops with a touch of St. Germaine.  Lovely.  We won’t do it every night – maybe weekly.  I also made the world’s easiest soup – Camille Glenn’s  Tomato Consommé.  It is one of those greater than the sum of its parts things.  This is V8, canned beef consommé, sweet onion, celery, and bay leaves.  I sometimes add cheese tortellini after this simmers for 20 minutes:

IMG_3027.jpg.c13e9503f3b4ff43aa364e19acd55219.jpg 

The ridiculously easy and delicious result with tortellini and some parm:

IMG_3032.jpg.61070f55d70e29f0300cd47fd5f5e780.jpg

We also had the first BLT of the season.  I make them similar to how they do the “toasted” sandwiches at the BBQ place I grew up on - Short Sugar’s in Reidsville NC.  SS’s breakfast sandwiches are actually grilled so that you end up with the outside of the bread toasted and crunchy and the inside (next to the fillings) soft.  I didn’t grill these, I just toasted them on one side in the CSO:

IMG_3030.thumb.jpg.a2fc611433e35bc77553aa9b72bac2a4.jpg

Sandwich:

IMG_3031.jpg.cde013865a1f11950d58bd12a81adc6f.jpg

• Like 19
  • Delicious 1

59 minutes ago, shain said:

Classic pesto, from some days ago. Salad of tomatoes and cuces on the side.

Most pastas I'll mix with the sauce in the cooking pot, but not peso. For pesto, I'll plate the plain pasta (and green beans in this case) along with some cooking water, then a small heap of sauce on the said. To be mixed right before eating.

Another tip is to briefly freeze the basil, I find that it helps it become a smoother paste and releases more flavor

Interesting pesto tips. Do you find that not mixing it in give a brighter taste?

7 hours ago, heidih said:

Interesting pesto tips. Do you find that not mixing it in give a brighter taste?

I find that basil and olive oil both have volatile aromas, so adding them late allows the pasta to be cool slightly, which prevents overheating (I like my pasta hot, so letting it intentionally cool more than it does by plating is a no-go). Also, and perhaps more importantly, by mixing on the table, the initial aroma is released just in front of the eaters.

Same goes for margarita pizza - I add the basil and olive oil only after baking. Even in Napoli, some pizzerias cook the basil and oil (and others don't), I think that this brings forth the oil-soluble flavors of the basil and tomatoes, but still I prefer the fresh notes.

5 hours ago, TdeV said:

Define briefly. An hour?

Depends on how you pack it, it should freeze solid. An hour should suffice.

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 4

~ Shai N.

2 hours ago, shain said:

I find that basil and olive oil both have volatile aromas, so adding them late allows the pasta to be cool slightly, which prevents overheating (I like my pasta hot, so letting it intentionally cool more than it does by plating is a no-go). Also, and perhaps more importantly, by mixing on the table, the initial aroma is released just in front of the eaters.

Same goes for margarita pizza - I add the basil and olive oil only after baking. Even in Napoli, some pizzerias cook the basil and oil (and others don't), I think that this brings forth the oil-soluble flavors of the basil and tomatoes.

Depends on how you pack it, it should freeze solid. An hour should suffice.

A million Italian nonnas just rolled over in their graves. Here, I try to soothe their worries...

796214717_Pastawithtomatosandbasil08-05.jpeg.01a0ad02bb032b3af8af0790c1af9629.jpeg

via a classic tomato sauce (canned tomatoes!), fresh basil. Parmigianno-reggiano - grated at the table...

• Like 11
  • Haha 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

51 minutes ago, weinoo said:

A million Italian nonnas just rolled over in their graves. Here, I try to soothe their worries...

Regarding the freezing or other parts? I do take care that when I make traditional Italian dishes, to respect their traditional flavors and spirit. I do however, allow myself to experiment with techniques and innovative cooking methods. In this case, I can assure that no damage is done to the basil flavor when frozen for an hour.

• Like 3

~ Shai N.

Several eG posts were my inspiration. Thanks to @rotuts @Shelby @mgaretz @Kim Shook @ambra @shain

I found some discounted veal shank cross cut which was sous vide at 130°F for 2.5 days and then sautéed for seconds at high heat.

IMG_2496_C.thumb.jpg.4ca46f1c1371d184f3b67a0a12c20835.jpg

Green beans with sautéed onion, new potatoes, chicken stock, smoked Spanish paprika, nutritional yeast, splash of red wine vinegar at end.

IMG_2494_C.thumb.jpg.b7a11ccc11c92a9d5174d0218bb68e33.jpg

Sautéed Shiitake mushrooms, juice from sous vide bag, five spice, butter, cornstarch.

IMG_2495_C.thumb.jpg.120b3ea779e5375e7b6f5aa549c0900b.jpg

Edited by TdeV
More details (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Thank you tons for the comments, @Smithy(I hope it was delicious!), @Kim Shook, @TdeV and @Shelby! :)

More pasta over here too. This one is Pancetta, onion and canned date tomatoes (and a little chili pepper). 

IMG_8126.jpg.050222a261d55dcf66ea6193fc201e73.jpg

Then there was homemade Schiacciata stuffed with prosciutto di San Daniele, mozzarella (oddly shaped because it's from a treccia) and fried friggitelli peppers.

IMG_7144.jpg.75d829b1c38e4df0b4899d7f3302646c.jpg

IMG_7145.jpg.a46b66546c7f0ed2dd7585e065dfd11d.jpg

@Franci, can you say how you did the pork? It looks amazing and is something I miss!

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1