• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

488523082_Paella08-03.jpeg.9f3c7cd3d4892e566d88802847db1ac9.jpeg

Paella last night, lacked a little oomph as I rushed it a bit...gotta really let your sofrito cook down slowly. Still good enough for a Monday night. With some steamed cauliflower alongside.

• Like 21
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Cleaning the fridge. Have a ham to use up. Last scrapes of a jar of salsa, bottom of a bag of grated cheese, a lonely stale tortilla lightly fried. Some rabbit food and a bit of red onion and Voila. Hubby is fed. 

20200805_194552.thumb.jpg.00fc392667141ee9898f90b2bdf2cfa2.jpg

My son had the last of a bag of macaroni, cooked in stock. Melted the end of a block of cream cheese with some garlic & pasta water chucked in some peas and ham. He was hungry so no photo 🙂

Fridge is still filled with odds N' ends, and ham🤦‍♀️.

Edited by CantCookStillTry (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

I’m coming out of “hiding” (I visit often but am shy about posting) to combat some anxiety, in hopes of “obsessing” over things other than the impending doom anxiety convinces you of. 😊

I love this thread, it gives me tons of ideas for dinner when I have none – everything always looks amazing! I also love seeing your bottles (I write or translate about wine every day) especially because most of your bottles are hard to come by where I live. I get all the Italian wine I want, living in the suburbs of Milan. But the rest? Not so much.

Thank you so much everyone for keeping me company during the long Italian quarantine and slow bounce-back.

Here are some latest, perhaps not greatest, meals and sorry about the bad photography and plating. 😊

So there's potatoes and green beans in homemade pesto (with basil grown on my balcony and vegetables from my weekly delivery from local farms)...

IMG_8100.jpg.5d1719e4a591a996401043bacc86e473.jpg

A big bone-in steak on the barbecue. It weighed a kilo. Rare inside, but no pic...

IMG_8019.jpg.a1de1af700d5fb032ed44565b0d9d880.jpg

Lamb sugo over tagliatelle. Sorry about the smears on the plate.

IMG_7924.jpg.dbdd094e2fc580d684975a71a6cb8e8f.jpg

Broiled Salmon with mustard, capers and dill. Dill is finally available in (parts of) Italy! But this one is from my balcony. 

IMG_7843.jpg.1d09c59da6b4b57f08b8d40c941431f0.jpg

Risotto with Calamari

IMG_6802.jpg.a608123418594b3ff976f5964dfd15ef.jpg

Edited to say: P.S. I hope I did this right! 

Edited by ambra (log)
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 7

Nice to see you posting, Ambra! All the meals you've posted look good, but this one really sings to me:

1 hour ago, ambra said:

So there's potatoes and green beans in homemade pesto (with basil grown on my balcony and vegetables from my weekly delivery from local farms)...

IMG_8100.jpg.5d1719e4a591a996401043bacc86e473.jpg

It happens I have green beans, potatoes and pesto that all need to be used. This looks like a delicious way to do it. Thanks for the idea! :) 

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

roasted chicken with a serious eats recipe of roasted brussels with shallot and ginger added to chopped kim chi, fish sauce, honey, rice wine vinegar. didn't have any fresh mint : (

with a delicious puligny

IMG_1895.jpg

IMG_1894.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

So glad to see you posting @ambra!  Please keep doing so.  Your food looks delicious.  These are indeed very anxious times and I, too, get comfort reading this thread :) 

Made another pot of spaghetti sauce to freeze and decided it smelled too good to not have some last night.  Over zoodles with a caprese salad.

thumbnail_IMG_8069.jpg.f5ad684299a720b490977fb1cc0b4222.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8070.jpg.576e90c24ec4f3a38f4495bf577094fd.jpg

• Like 18

18 hours ago, MokaPot said:

Looks really good, @liamsaunt . Every time I've tried to order monkfish in a restaurant, they're out of it (86'd). How does it taste, to you? (Supposed to taste like lobster, I heard.) TIA.

I do not think it tastes like lobster, but the texture is similar.  It is a very meaty textured fish.  The only PITA about it is that you have to clean the membrane off before cooking it.  This is easier to do the fresher it is.  Luckily my monkfish had been caught the morning it was delivered to me so it was not too difficult to clean.  I have had a hard time cleaning monkfish purchased at the fish counter.

Last night, salmon larb

1878397141_salmonlarb.thumb.jpg.2d205d9ee9e0d44c8609550f63a7534e.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 2

27 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

I do not think it tastes like lobster, but the texture is similar.  It is a very meaty textured fish.

Agree 100%. Nothing like lobster apart from texture. But I like it!

Sadly,  I can't find monkfish here.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Monkfish is a wonderful addition to fish stews as it holds its shape and doesn't fall apart.    I also love it sliced into thick tournados and grilled (over coals or in grill pan).    It is mild flavored.   Kind of like halibut.   

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

Agreed on the monkfish. I would only buy it from a fish shop way out of my way but with excellent always fresh product. Best lobster prices in town also. We won't talk about the time I scaled a big snapper on the coffee table. Pretty scales that looked like shiny tiddly-winks for months...

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, heidih said:

Agreed on the monkfish. I would only buy it from a fish shop way out of my way but with excellent always fresh product. Best lobster prices in town also. We won't talk about the time I scaled a big snapper on the coffee table. Pretty scales that looked like shiny tiddly-winks for months...

Sounds like hosting grand-daughters with sparkles on their sneakers!

• Haha 4

eGullet member #80.

Toaster oven baked Sabrett skinny on a potato roll topped w mustard, ketchup (oh the horror!) and 7 day pickled serrano.  The magic that pepper adds is inexplicable.  I could (and have) eaten 4 of them.  

sab1.thumb.jpg.fffa156b9e56dfe07eb6c4e3e6d61440.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

That wasn't chicken

@gfweb – thanks for the mac n cheese link.  That sounds like just exactly what I like. 

@heidih – I actually don’t mind Kraft – as long as it is the kind with the Cheez Whiz-ish stuff.  Can’t stand the powdered cheese one.  I tart it up with mustard powder and more cheese and hot sauce. 

@CantCookStillTry – the BBQ looks fantastic!  What an amazing assortment!  And re: your “use it up” pizza.  What happened to all that BBQ???? 😄

@liamsaunt – I really like the sound of miso glazed monkfish.

@mgaretz – Hooray for non-mushy dinners!! 

@ambra – So good to see your posts!  You have NOTHING to be shy about!  Those are beautiful meals. 

Last night dinner was this:

IMG_3025.jpg.2ad316ae99213d8452093b867ad510e1.jpg

Tomato sandwich for lunch and the same for dinner except this was toasted with ham and cheese.  Served with Campbell’s chicken noodle soup :$ (total comfort food) and excellent watermelon with Maldon salt:

IMG_3024.jpg.b1c2bac74125f0a4f0ddb114c0257993.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Last night was fun... I had a beer with my neighbor on our respective stoops... We were talking about dinner.. I have these black chickpeas I am making a chana masala with, my neighbor says..  It doesn't happen to be vegan, i ask... Because I am making making collard greens, rice and a salad, maybe we can team up?  So, I brought out a folding table and the 4 of us sat outside and had a little pot luck... I made basmati rice and a salad with peanut butter/soy dressing...  It was a fun night! 

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@CantCookStillTry – the BBQ looks fantastic!  What an amazing assortment!  And re: your “use it up” pizza.  What happened to all that BBQ???? 😄

Haha! Everything Vegetarian was sent home with the brother in law. 

The remaining meat is in the outside fridge...

AKA not my hobby not my problem 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

First time dining at a restaurant since March...Blue Point Grill in Princeton has a good amount of outdoor seating, we sat on the roof which was really nice and shady, got a little breeze, plus watching the scenery below. Split a bowl of NE clam chowder (waitress put in to two bowls for us on her own), crab and guacamole dip, and my entree was sauteed bronzino filet (crispy skin) with miso butter. Hubs had pistachio crusted trout.

0159F808-943A-4437-BE39-EE21C5DE5020.jpeg

DA97378E-3868-4940-A97C-2CAB346FE12D.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Last night's dinner:  Burger, cooked SV then seared, topped with mushroom gravy made out of whole cloth (mushrooms, water, soy sauce, caramel coloring, spices and cornstarch) along with mashed cauliflower also topped with the gravy.

burger-mash.thumb.jpg.aaf116bf23dafc21e2b6182531eac12d.jpg

burger-mash-close.jpg.434f87e0ebb9234135110c4dd4e949a6.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs