• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

40 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I can't make pretty dumplings

Oh I think they look really really good!  

It's a nice cool day here....and I have been craving Asian food like you can't believe.  I want to spend the day making "things" out of the stuff I bought yesterday but dang I have so much to do.  The whole afternoon yesterday was spent repackaging meats etc.  The squash are going to force me to build a lean-to just to house them in.  I need to can badly and lets not even talk about how dirty my house is sigh.

I've seen many folks here post pictures of their shishito peppers and I've always wanted to try them.  Ran across a bag full in the big city store.  OMG new favorite thing.  I wish I had bought more!  Charred a bit and finished with fresh lemon juice and sea salt.

thumbnail_IMG_8051.jpg.aebd661ab1307f5a99c6da0a48c6a2bf.jpg

Fried some of the chicken gizzards I bought at the Asian Market.  Then put them aside while I worked up some tomatoes for sauce.  Came back and threw the gizzards in the IP for an hour while I made the rest of dinner.  Nice and tender gizzards :)

thumbnail_IMG_8052.jpg.9c03fe9b70a87c67413f2bc3ad68d46d.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

12 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Love the gizzards (and hearts, too). I had an awesome gizzard and heart and probably some other weird chicken parts sauce last time we were in Rome.

In am with you. None where I get grocery delivery now and I can't get to big Asian market

• Like 2

50177772092_aef26ba810_z.jpg

50177772412_bcedf64cf2_z.jpg

Mix platter from green market:
1)three types of lettuce with carrots in a Chinese mustard,sesame oil, lemon, sweet soy dressing
2)green beans boiled in salt water and lemon with a preserved garlic oil
3)roasted sweet potatoes with mustard seed and whole cumin seed and ginger
4)chana masala
5)and IndoChinese yellow split pea daal with 5 spice
6)whole boiled potatoes with a carrot top and cashew pesto. tossed hot.  The guy at the market will give you as many carrot tops as you want
7)brown rice cooked with cardamom

Then some roasted tomatoes, onions and dill with garlic and oil.. 220 for a few hours. 

50177522121_cf65fb7fa5_z.jpg
  • Like 13

@BKEats Every part of your meal entices but wondering about the carrot top pesto. It has been around on internet for quite a few years and I've done it as pesto and in soup. I just never got oomph flavor. Maybe your farmers market ones were very fresh. I  want to spread those roasted tomatoes on some toasted good bread. Thanks

So, the tasting notes are lemon, garlic, olive oil, cashew, salt and a bright grass.  I also added a bit of fresh Thai basil, but tiny.  I wouldn’t say it’s a main attractions.  But especially when tossed with those hot salty creamy potatoes, it cooks a bit and then the cashews adds that mouthfeel and rounds it all out.  It’s more just like, why not.  Even if you make your regular pesto and use it as filler, why toss it.  It’s edible and free. But it’s bright and Grassy.  I juiced some with whole lemon, lime, ginger and jalapeño.  

I made a pizza dough, I’m thinking of like a Harrisa base and then those roasted tomatoes in maybe a Stromboli or something.   Cashews ricotta or tahini 

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 3

last night's dinner for 3.

nibbles of store bought olives, babganoush and hummus. Salad of sungold and cherry tomatoes with red onion, basil and goat cheese.

Crispy cast iron pan chicken thighs with a scallion ginger sauce and sauteed broccoli (anchovies, garlic and chili flake) Nervi Rosato from Gattinara and Paolo Bea San Valentino from Umbria

IMG_1850.jpg

IMG_1851.jpg

IMG_1853.jpg

IMG_1854.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

39 minutes ago, BKEats said:

So, the tasting notes are lemon, garlic, olive oil, cashew, salt and a bright grass.  I also added a bit of fresh Thai basil, but tiny.  I wouldn’t say it’s a main attractions.  But especially when tossed with those hot salty creamy potatoes, it cooks a bit and then the cashews adds that mouthfeel and rounds it all out.  It’s more just like, why not.  Even if you make your regular pesto and use it as filler, why toss it.  It’s edible and free. But it’s bright and Grassy.  I juiced some with whole lemon, lime, ginger and jalapeño.  

I made a pizza dough, I’m thinking of like a Harrisa base and then those roasted tomatoes in maybe a Stromboli or something.   Cashews ricotta or tahini 

Thanks - if I get to a Farmers Market again I will give it a go. I loved my farm stand where the locals requested the beet tops be removed. So many nice dishes from fhem  - FREE

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heidih said:

Thanks - if I get to a Farmers Market again I will give it a go. I loved my farm stand where the locals requested the beet tops be removed. So many nice dishes from fhem  - FREE

I grow my beets for the greens.

Don't get me wrong, I love (and eat) the beetroots as well, but they're by way of being an end-of-season bonus after my main harvest.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

14 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

@scamhi lovely looking meal..as usual it seems....and of course the wine selections rock.  Just in case you are not aware there is a risk of salmonella with USA grown red onions...it is recommended to bin them.

cheers

I was nearly worried that my newly purchased organic red onions would have to be tossed; luckily it seems I am safe...

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2020-07-30/eng/1596169910818/1596169916854

• Like 3

We walked down to Chinatown to have dinner and support the area a bit.  A group in NYC donated these modular seating areas to a couple blocks - mostly Mott St south of Pell.

20200801_192228.thumb.jpg.9d5d7847263b3b79d64b450c97e318dc.jpg

20200801_192243.thumb.jpg.a6c37399a9b9d4ba1a01b03bdf5df184.jpg

Plexiglass dividers between the tables

20200801_192616_HDR.thumb.jpg.e3e466315feb60cc92bcce4f570f1092.jpg

Gailan with oyster sauce

20200801_193342.thumb.jpg.97df63d7e998320b9a96b7859ad7c1c9.jpg

A very crispy and tasty scallion pancake and rice rolls with oyster sauce and peanut sauce. It had a sweetness making me think it was made with peanut butter

20200801_194004.thumb.jpg.fee297564d02515c4ee954b2115f60cc.jpg

Shrimp spring rolls

20200801_193535_HDR.thumb.jpg.1edf801bc04d29ce93a137aaa704cb47.jpg

Hong Kong style noodles with gailan and wontons with pork and a whole shrimp.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 5

Last night's dinner, I was feeling nostalgic for dinner in Saigon at the "chicken corner".... Too bad I don't have access to a really good banh mi (just the baguette not the sandwich)....

IMG_20200731_194721-01.thumb.jpeg.5d82a5344a7dd62549a8685015f948f4.jpeg

Fish sauce marinated chicken thigh on a bed of rau ram (from the garden), homemade pickles and dipping sauce (not pictured) consisting of salt, lots of Vietnamese peppercorns, garlic, chili, lime juice and a touch of fish sauce.

• Like 16
  • Delicious 2

13 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Last night's dinner, I was feeling nostalgic for dinner in Saigon at the "chicken corner".... Too bad I don't have access to a really good banh mi (just the baguette not the sandwich)....

Ahh the bread. My Vietnamese bestie used to call me on the way over to see if I had gotten the bread. There were 2 Viet markets close by. that had at least once a day delivery. Sadly no longer.  We adjust...

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

@scamhi lovely looking meal..as usual it seems....and of course the wine selections rock.  Just in case you are not aware there is a risk of salmonella with USA grown red onions...it is recommended to bin them.

cheers

thanks, I wasn't aware of it.

I do always soak them in cold water after slicing before using

11 hours ago, KennethT said:

We walked down to Chinatown to have dinner and support the area a bit.  A group in NYC donated these modular seating areas to a couple blocks - mostly Mott St south of Pell.

20200801_192228.thumb.jpg.9d5d7847263b3b79d64b450c97e318dc.jpg

Possibly my favorite restaurant on Mott St. south of Pell.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

A dinner from a last week. I made a double batch of pasta sauce with smoked roasted eggplants, mushrooms pan fried in butter, tomatoes, Pecorino Romano, toasted sesame, sage, garlic, chili.

The first time I served it with bucatini. This time I used fresh hand cut pappardelle.

IMG_20200726_220637.thumb.jpg.fb15a34fb50cc30a57b0f7aa9e93425c.jpg

I also made some extra pasta for the following day, to make a snack I often used to have as a kid.

Pasta with cream cheese, formage blanc, cinnamon, dark brown sugar. As good as I remember :)

As a kid though, it was made with only formage blanc, no cream cheese, and with dry pasta or egg noodles.

It's important to add the sugar while eating, and not ahead of time, so that it retains some crunchiness.

IMG_20200727_155045_1.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 15
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

I've been so hungry for Asian food.  ANY type of Asian food.  So you'll be seeing it quite often in the next coming days lol.  I've been dying to try @Norm Matthews China Coast Salad Dressing-- @Kim Shook made it a while back and she also adds those crunchy chow mein to her salads sometimes so she inspired me to pick some up at the store.

So, I made some of the dressing, did some sticky beef ribs in the IP along with drunken noodles and salad.  OHHHH it hit the spot.  Honestly, the salad dressing and salad were the star of the night.  Definitely will be keeping that dressing in the fridge at all times.

thumbnail_IMG_8054.jpg.682e70e179fd63bece47b9c86fa47f98.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8056.jpg.800f35e042626a062a606cfdbdc7cf67.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8057.jpg.a387f0583f852a26523bb643b363cc10.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8058.jpg.4b138acf0952e50c4f84bca6976912cb.jpg

• Like 17
  • Delicious 2