• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

I'm a very bad farmers' market shopper. Well, I suppose I'm a bad grocery shopper in general. I don't know what I'm going to cook - it depends on what looks good. Well that looks good . . . and so does that . . . and that . . . and that . . .

So, I have a lot in the fridge; it's already Thursday and the market is Saturday.

This dish contains 4-5 baby + Japanese eggplants, 1.5 lbs fancy mushrooms, a fresh sweet onion (with mud), half dozen fresh garlic cloves, couple cans tomatoes, remnants of red and white wine, covered in 7 minute polenta done in the Instant Pot (then added lots of Fontina and Parmesan cheese).

The dish was so full that I couldn't take it out of the oven until it had cooled down.

IMG_2472_CL.thumb.jpg.67c985220611e3b486815a9c876f71a1.jpg

Here it is a bit cooler

IMG_2475_CL.thumb.jpg.d52087f4b7fdebb896effb4ad220abe8.jpg

And a serving

IMG_2479.thumb.JPG.158ac0f896348a56efbba691e71d0ebc.JPG

. . . but sadly, we have three more servings!

Edited by TdeV
Rotating photos (log)
  • Like 16
  • Delicious 2

Tonight I made yellow split peas with ginger, garlic, jalapenos, tomatoes, tomato paste, garam masala, sriracha and this spice mix from Kaluystans.  Cooked for about 30 or 40 minutes.. I also made brown rice, I had leftover green beans that had been boiled in salt water, tossed in garlic, lemon, basils, olive oil, I served that cold.. Also made a salad from carrot, fennel, onion, lemon, jalapeno, red pepper flakes and salt.  

It was really good. living on the edge, i added a little five spice at the end. 

50172129487_e675e81f55.jpg

50171872936_8d3467b99e_z.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, TdeV said:

I'm a very bad farmers' market shopper. Well, I suppose I'm a bad grocery shopper in general. I don't know what I'm going to cook - it depends on what looks good. Well that looks good . . . and so does that . . . and that . . . and that . . .

So, I have a lot in the fridge; it's already Thursday and the market is Saturday.

I suffer a similar problem sometimes.. What I have found is, just to cook the things.. Just put them in play..  A simple prep, just so they can be added to dishes or create dishes around them. I had these sweet potatoes laying around..I had no plans but, I just roasted them while the oven was on.. Eggplant, whenever I have  an hour or so I am going to be in the kitchen, I take my eggplant and cover in salt.. I get all the moisture out and then will cook it in a pan or bake in the oven with a tiny bit of olive oil and some garlic.  Just for until it's cooked through.. Because it was salted, you know have nicely structured and cooked eggplant that can be fried, or rebaked, or quickly srtir fried in a starchy chinese sauce.   Now, I am more prone to just add these cooked vegs to something, sometimes so unsuspected I surprise myself.. The sweet potatoes from tonight, I actually ended up tossing in cumin  seed ginger oil with some jalapeno.  I will eat that with rice tomorrow at some point.. Or the green bean salad from tonight, i had a big old bag.. So, I boiled in salt water.. they are ready to be added to a salad or a dish at a moments ..  the fennel salad tonight, i just chopped whatever vegetables I had.  Sadly, I tossed out a fennel bulb as it went bad.  But, yeh, if I can make a suggestion,  just cook the things in a simple prep so they can be added to something quickly and spontaneously.  when all else fails, make stock, or  turn it all into juice. 

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 4

@BKEats Exactly - why waste money and taste on slimy vegetables. Plus if you like playing in the kitchen it is fun to do that "pre pre prep". When friends say they are just gonna put it in a smoothie I turn my head and zip my mouth. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, rotuts said:

@CantCookStillTry 

except it would be better if the cheese ere melted , ie under the broiler

my two cents

I totally agree! The cheese should be melted. I melted it on the potato itself then top with beans (less mess/I'm lazy). But my kid has a thing where if he can't see it it, its not there, hence the top cheese (have to do same with tacos) 🤦‍♀️

The lil freak actually requests cheese burgers with "plain cheese" (unmelted).

Maybe he's not mine 🤔

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Went out. Was yummy. 

I had the Duck with bitter Cherry. 

20200718_202619.thumb.jpg.e4833b8693da1004ffa2bea7fccc6911.jpg

Hub had Filet Mignon. 

20200718_202634.thumb.jpg.fb2f45b898bd0878e4447e650a2de5ac.jpg

Child had breaded chicken with a tomato and sugar reduction and sliced Potato... 😂

20200718_202648.thumb.jpg.078781b6f23c9c10af12a095dbb56363.jpg

I don't get the corn thing. Most Aussie Pubs do it. I leave it. 

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, TdeV said:

This dish contains 4-5 baby + Japanese eggplants, 1.5 lbs fancy mushrooms, a fresh sweet onion (with mud), half dozen fresh garlic cloves, couple cans tomatoes, remnants of red and white wine, covered in 7 minute polenta done in the Instant Pot (then added lots of Fontina and Parmesan cheese).

The dish was so full that I couldn't take it out of the oven until it had cooled down.

IMG_2472_CL.thumb.jpg.67c985220611e3b486815a9c876f71a1.jpg

Here it is a bit cooler

IMG_2475_CL.thumb.jpg.d52087f4b7fdebb896effb4ad220abe8.jpg

And a serving

IMG_2479.thumb.JPG.158ac0f896348a56efbba691e71d0ebc.JPG

. . . but sadly, we have three more servings!

We tend to share that shopping “flaw”.   I may walk in with a list of essentials but buy what looks good and the menu is based on that 

• Like 1

Having had the last (!) of what seem to have been interminable dental surgeries yesterday, I'm on soft stuff for a day or two or three, so last night it was protein shakes. Tonight I have peaches, so it may be peaches and ricotta. Perhaps by next week I'll be back to the good stuff.

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 7/28/2020 at 8:24 PM, pastameshugana said:

Mrs M and most of the kids are out of town for a few days, I’m home with my oldest daughter (3rd oldest child) and she’s made it her mission to feed me, so I’m not allowed to cook. She’s 15 and I think yesterday spent nearly $200 on groceries to feed the two of us for four days....there will be leftovers. 

Tonight she made pizza: Half is Margherita, the other half features red onion and salami. She also made a honey balsamic reduction drizzled on top. 

B9853F2E-6692-4733-9930-224DD4A879E5.jpeg

That looks great, your daughter sounds awesome!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

I don't get the corn thing. Most Aussie Pubs do it. I leave it. 

Heck you guys put beetroot on burgers! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, weinoo said:

Oh, @Eatmywords, I did watch it, I did. They're a regular riot!

They did a 3 part cross country road trip that I found  very entertaining too.  I could listen to her wax all day in that uber judgey, opinionated and charming Italian way. 

• Like 2

That wasn't chicken

Γεια σου (Ya Sou). Love Greece and Greek food......Uggh people as well outside Athens that is.

If you wish to have a proper meal, go with a native.

My better half and I were touring the mountains somewhere in Cretia and there was this little hamlet like the ones in postcards. We stopped for lunch in a picturesque restaurant overlooking the ravine and the mountains. Nobody spoke English or French or German or Italian and I speak Chinese dialect only after midnight.

There was no way we could decipher the menu and seated at a big table were some locals and they were joined by the village priest. The food that was served was extremely appetizing......I ask the lady owner to serve us the same dishes and Zeus opened the heaven vanes of taste.

Back to earth, we visited a local Greek restaurant and we had:

1- Starters

- Perivoli Salad with Greek Elassona cheese and baby spinach....etc

QYMxEqo.jpg

- Dipping Platter of Tzatziki, Fava, Tirokafteri and Eggplant with a helping of Pitta bread

rrhHJay.jpg

- Kolokythokeftedes the most unpronounceable dish ever of zucchini fritters with Greek Yogurt

ZziMaZC.jpg

2- Main

- Spinach Pie with Feta cheese

jedIpsK.jpg

- Chicken Gyros with tzatziki

lhgIwjU.jpg

- and the ubiquitous Kebab Souvlaki

UbTcFf8.jpg

3- Dessert

Then things got serious with the syrup dripping Galaktoboureko and Portolakopita (off picture)

- Rice Pudding with Coconut milk and Cinnamon topped with Cherry Jam and frsh black Cherries. My creation called Piggies Rice Pud.

G9LJa8S.jpg

- And to wash it all, a designer artsy Watermelon

CLR4Kcj.jpg

Sadly there was no whipped cream or Crème Chantilly. That's it, I am going to Linz......

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

Air fried chicken with mayo/mustard/bbq sauce, sides of sauteed green beans with soy sauce, sesame oil, and nutritional yeast, and Zatarain's dirty rice

20200729_194421.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

5 hours ago, shain said:

@Nicolai Any chance you recall the name of the village or restaurant? Looks superb. 

Apologies: The learned one corrected me as the restaurant was in Kos and not Crete.

Unfortunately. I don't remember the name of the mountain village. We drove from the beach which I can't even remember the name and did not use a GPS just kept driving up the mountains to nowhere and ended around lunch time in this very small village on a Sunday after prayers.

I have more pictures but they are in another house. I wonder if any Greek person can guess where I shot this picture with the mountain trees the ravine and the sea?

DtRxd6L.jpg

I am a big fan of Greece islands and the places we used to go like Mykonos Kos Lesbos did not have a single hotel at that time and you had to either sleep on the yacht or at the local friend houses.

Edited by Nicolai (log)
  • Like 2

Baby eggplants, over maftoul and chickpeas, flavored with caramelized onion, bahart, cinnamon, cumin, fresh zaatar, tomatoes, garlic, lemon.

Salad of tomatoes, chili peppers, sirene cheese, spring onions. Olive oil, lemon, toasted pine nuts, over some flavorful labanah, some zaatar and sumac.

Torshi style pickled cauliflower and carrots.

IMG_20200725_214043.thumb.jpg.8b0ebd8722432b62c942412500b94106.jpgIMG_20200725_214140.thumb.jpg.378f763d63b3073ed14a0a15640165fd.jpgIMG_20200725_215153.thumb.jpg.6973347c2f9c16bce7cc27e6fec11547.jpgIMG_20200725_215247.thumb.jpg.4a12a71eea4fd4d3459f585014f241f3.jpgIMG_20200725_215828.thumb.jpg.cbe2d6a5c16f3c2a09fd79ac3a154270.jpg

IMG_20200725_212108_1.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

~ Shai N.

I spent a fair amount of time in the kitchen yesterday. Not as much as the pros on here, obviously, but still; I thought it was gonna be cool, but still; it wasn't that cool. It was an Asian food cooking day.

809780530_Chilioilandscalliongingeroil07-31.jpeg.c903343ecfc35d46a5c878ec4e4a0703.jpeg

Gotta start with making two condimenti; Sichuan chili oil, using two of the chilies I just got from MaLa Project (and fancy sunflower oil). As well as the classic scallion/ginger oil.

Shortcuts must be taken, because...why not?

1291489187_TwinMarquisroundwrappers07-31IMG_1795.jpeg.2741e76136ecb1c6cfcac8f62e499031.jpeg

I am not as fast as the people on Eldridge Street, but eventually...

1887917207_Dumplingfolding07-31.jpeg.fd7a7ff0a77397d2a79e7d0aceb6152f.jpeg

60+ dumplings using humanely raised pork - about $9 worth of ingredients (forget about how much time it took).

I can't make pretty dumplings (yet) even though I watched like 7 videos. They just won't do what they are supposed to do. I'm blaming the wrappers. 

798606341_Dumplingspanfried07-31.jpeg.b4223e39ffee92bc91b4d165d78d8cfe.jpeg

But pan fried, these were very delicious. My ode to veganism:

240022920_Sicuanstylecucumbersalad07-31.jpeg.ac9aa57692b2c696149ed4bf5d27433e.jpeg

Sichuan style smashed cucumber salad.

And my ode to almost vegetarianism (if it weren't for the bacon and chicken stock):

380038293_Hunanstylecauliflowerandmushrooms07-31.jpeg.d20460dad6fddd06f52fc71b98d68f23.jpeg

Hunan style cauliflower and mushroom stir fry.

No rice was harmed for this dinner.

• Like 14
  • Delicious 5

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?