• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

6 hours ago, Paul Bacino said:

Grilled eggplant/ turkey/ feta/marinara w/ shishito side

Paul - looks amazing!

Tonight is night #2 with most of the family gone, just me and #3 (my oldest daughter) at home. She's cooking for me.

Tonight was a mediterranean-style rice pilaf with chicken, so I decided it was high time to teach her how to make challah. Any good Jewish girl should know this (even if she's only 1/8th or so, unless she's recently skinned her knee).

I assumed (incorrectly) that the 15yo fashonista could to a better 6-stranded braid than I could. So now it looks like I'll be hairstyle assistant for the foreseeable future.

The bread turned out fantastic, great crust and flavor.

78399F00-76FD-48E6-B56E-56534727D6E6.jpeg

BC440186-C6DB-460F-8570-9180D4344CD2_1_201_a.jpeg

062ED832-C00F-4DD9-9E8C-E41D5823F58E_1_201_a.jpeg

Edited by pastameshugana (log)
  • Like 17
  • Delicious 1

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

@pastameshugana The bread you and daughter made looks great. I was jealous of a late friend who did the challah making with  the ladies at Temple on Thursdays. They finally corrected me when interviewing a Hasidic community A harsh h' sound not ch

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, pastameshugana said:

I decided it was high time to teach her how to make challah. Any good Jewish girl should know this (even if she's only 1/8th or so...).

Our son went to nursery school at our local JCC.     On Fridays they would make challah...out of Bisquick.    The teacher would parcel out pieces of dough to each child who would knead or molest it until it was reunited into a loaf.    We're not Jewish, but I knew this was just very, very wrong.   I volunteered to make a batch of challah every Friday and bring it to the center around 11am in time for them to finish and bake it before noon.    Of course mine wasn't kosher but it had to be incrementally more appropriate than Bisquick.    I won't comment on the continued practice of communal kneading,  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

eGullet member #80.

Now I know this is going to horrify alot of you but hear me out..! 

It is a treasured food of my peoples and it is not horrible! 

This is my sons, I have mine with Canned Tuna fish! (You're allowed to think that's horrible 😄). 

20200730_180655.thumb.jpg.00be95745adccce3804abd217d01266e.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 3
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Now I know this is going to horrify alot of you but hear me out..! 

It is a treasured food of my peoples and it is not horrible! 

Nothing wrong with the food, but not sure about the plate! 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

25 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Nothing wrong with the food, but not sure about the plate! 😂

I know right! 😂 Everyone here has beautiful plates. I picked up a 'feature plate' for like $4 in the kitchenware store. My husband straight away said "You picked wrong." 😂😂 But if I don't use it once I loose! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, CantCookStillTry said:

I know right! 😂 Everyone here has beautiful plates. I picked up a 'feature plate' for like $4 in the kitchenware store. My husband straight away said "You picked wrong." 😂😂 But if I don't use it once I loose! 

I'm generally a simple white plate guy, myself. Or at least self coloured. Always makes the food look better and doesn't compete with it - but not everyone agrees and the world goes on!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

SPAGHETTI WITH CLAMS

1863089344_Spaghettiwithclamsfromcans07-29.jpeg.2862dee464f4de54ce0ccd30988d0cf6.jpeg

Old skool!  Spaghetti with clams (okay, some are cockles) (okay, the clams are all from cans). 

Recipe (serves 2):

225 grams good spaghetti - and like that youtube video above, don't use anything but real spaghetti or linguini

1 can Bumble Bee (nee Snow's) Clams

1 can Matiz Berberechos (see below)

image.thumb.png.510ece946282ff0bed3aeb9617f3eda4.png

1 nice fresh clove of garlic, sliced thin like that scene in Goodfellas where Paulie is slicing the garlic in jail

Crushed Red Pepper - let's say 1/4 - 1/2 tsp.

Handful of chopped parsley, chopped even finer than I did

Extra Virgin Olive Oil - let's say 3 - 4 T

Salt - you won't need much - these clams are a little salty

Pepper - if I have to tell you how much, and if I have to tell you freshly ground, oy

Fry up the garlic and crushed red pepper and some of the parsley in the olive oil till garlic is lightly browned, not burnt. Add the juice from both cans to this pan, and drop the spaghetti into another pan containing boiling,  lightly (in this case lightly, because the clams are already pretty salty) salted water. Reduce the juices while the spaghetti is cooking - I use Setaro spaghetti, which takes about 10 minutes.

image.png.fb16fb3fde8c81fe19e960924e64f49f.png

When your spaghetti is almost done, remove it with tongs into the pan where you are making the sauce. At the same time, add all the clammy stuff to that pan (and a little pasta water - like 1/4 cup). Keep tossing pasta and clams till almost all the sauce (i.e. liquid) is absorbed - if there's not a lot of juice left in the pan, this is when your pasta water comes in handy, and also why you don't just dump the pasta into a colander in the sink (unless you save some of the pasta cooking water). Add some pepper. Taste it - see if it has enough salt - if it doesn't, what are you smoking?

Plate it, sprinkle a little more parsley on top, enjoy with let's say a crisp, white wine from Lazio. Or the Veneto. 

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Eggplant stir fry with garlic and basil.  I would have preferred Thai basil, but I have not been able to find it anywhere lately since I am still not shopping in person.  I could not even find Thai  basil plants for my herb garden.  

94457213_eggplantstirfry.thumb.jpg.4848bb29c478a50590d9747259a974ba.jpg

• Like 9

my daughter's boyfriend cooked us dinner. (at their apt) Butter chicken, rice, roasted okra with olive oil, turmeric, chili powder and salt, red onion soaked in lime juice and a firey hot mango pickle

IMG_1831.jpg

• Like 12

Create the Char!!

50169778142_b9ec02580c_b.jpg

Baste in Butter!!

50169839346_9c77b9cd28_b.jpg

Create--the late night dinner snack/  I struggle finding something to eat after my soccer games!!  Dont need a big slug gut before bed!!

Everything Bagel/Slap ur Momma sauce/ Tapatia ( SP )--Power bread

50169297018_71e3e6e7bd_b.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Its good to have Morels

@Paul Bacino 

So Excellent !

i lived in Spain for two years growing up.

my parents were teachers there.

that was the first time i had a ' fried egg '  that had crispy edges , and a soft yolk.

Spanish EVOO was used of course , as butter was relatively expensive,

so I send you 2 Kudos for reminding me of those crispy edges.

personally , I think ' brown butter ' is OK ,  but not that high on my 

Personal Gobble Gobble list.

Im now a bit confused :

I have not made ' crispy edged fried , w soft yolks eggs ' 

in a while.

Im rethinking my view of Eggs :

water poached eggs , w creamy yolks  (  its that thin skin that makes this egg worth while )

fried basted eggs , w crispy edges and soft yolks (  basing choice matters here )

what I do know is this :

One is the Queen of Eggs

the other

the King of Eggs 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

I'm a little bit in love with that plate!  😺

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, weinoo said:

- I use Setaro spaghetti, which takes about 10 minutes.

image.png.fb16fb3fde8c81fe19e960924e64f49f.png

I really like the Setaro Chitarra Spaghetti. it is sad what happened to Buon Italia when they moved down to the basement of Chelsea Market. They lost their mojo.

Edited by scamhi (log)
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, scamhi said:

I really like the Setaro Chitarra Spaghetti. it is sad what happened to Buon Italia when they moved down to the basement of Chelsea Market. They lost their mojo.

Yes, I'm pretty sure all the Setaro in my pantry is from Buon Italia - I probably ordered it online. (and don't tell anyone, but this was made with chitarra).

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

This an example of my dinners as of late.  Meatless lentil soup made in the IP and with oats for a complete protein and carrots.  Tastes better than it sounds and you really have to look to find the oats.  Accompanied by either baked or sweet potato with butter.

lentil-soup5.jpg.7d637c56f631c85ed71c5469bba27c2c.jpg

Edited by mgaretz (log)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

6 hours ago, weinoo said:

- and like that youtube video above, don't use anything but real spaghetti or linguini

Did you watch it?  "Que Skivo!"........hubby - "don't throw that out, people are starving in China" - she "Eez better they starve den eat dis".......haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

That wasn't chicken