• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

I'm intrigued by those lovely dishes, Duvel and Shelby. Could you point to some recipes. please?

This is the recipe I go off of.  I don't deviate on the dressing part, but the salad part I do.  I add grilled chicken.  I omit some veggies that I usually don't have.....like last night I didn't have radish or green pepper.  When I remember (which I didn't last night) I add the toasted pita to the individual plates instead of to the whole salad (unless you're going to eat the whole salad that night).  The pita gets squishy if you have leftovers.  Still edible, but not as good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Duvel said:

golden and serve with a dipping sauce made from sweet soy sauce and sriracha.

Ha I went to lunch with a Hong Kong Chinese friend once (Lebanon raised though) - she sent the cakes back because the browning was inadequate!  Being beautiful helps service requests. She was right. They fixed it.

• Haha 1

Baked Argentinian Red Shrimp with garlic butter and panko+parmesan crumbs on top. They were deveined but the shell was split open and butterflied, so it really reinforced the “lobster” leaning flavor. Sauteed a bag of some kind of shredded veg mix, bloomed a small amount of curry powder in oil first (didn’t want it to be a strong curry flavor, just wanted the warmth) then added a little vinegar I am infusing with orange peel and a drizzle of honey. Multigrain pilaf to absorb garlic/shrimp juice.

• Like 7

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

53 minutes ago, heidih said:

Ha I went to lunch with a Hong Kong Chinese friend once (Lebanon raised though) - she sent the cakes back because the browning was inadequate!  Being beautiful helps service requests. She was right. They fixed it.

No, being quietly correct and respectful helps.

eGullet member #80.

7 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

Baked Argentinian Red Shrimp with garlic butter and panko+parmesan crumbs on top. They were deveined but the shell was split open and butterflied, so it really reinforced the “lobster” leaning flavor. Sauteed a bag of some kind of shredded veg mix, bloomed a small amount of curry powder in oil first (didn’t want it to be a strong curry flavor, just wanted the warmth) then added a little vinegar I am infusing with orange peel and a drizzle of honey. Multigrain pilaf to absorb garlic/shrimp juice.

I like their lobster like flavor but find a quick application of heat best to preserve the lobster thang. On lobsters I am a spiny girl and adore the restaurants in Puerto Nuevo. 

• Like 1

7202FE4F-36EF-4A52-82D5-05601DD8E33A.thumb.jpeg.6b29732df64dba9f4cf42dc32d347dc8.jpeg

Flat Iron Steak Fajitas - the steak was marinated for several hours, then cooked Sous Vide at 130F for 3 hours.

ACDE1FE5-4425-4565-97D3-9D90FED8CF58.thumb.jpeg.2188df85aedb20b3a57ee9ad2feedb8a.jpeg

Finished on the Grill, sliced and tossed with Sautéed Onions, Bell Peppers and Jalapeños.

F2304A25-4924-4074-9D43-53BC44C6995C.thumb.jpeg.cda7f9cca4197ba66f518f15ec77eac3.jpeg

Served with Flour Tortillas, Salsa and Refried Beans.

• Like 14
  • Delicious 6

I've been accumulating lots of frozen fish since amazon insists on selling me three times the weight of fresh fish I can consume, and unashamedly I own a blast freezer.  But when I open my freezer door stuff falls out on me.  Worse, like tonight, I don't always quite know what that stuff is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

7 hours ago, heidih said:

I think it is more about the crust than the color. The cakes themselves are kind of gooey, and need some sort of crust for getting the right mouthfeel.

Paella...

Paella07272020.png

If it looks suspiciously like 30 second green beans, they are 25 second green beans.  Lovely jarred Italian artichokes from supermarketitaly.  Methode rotuts and chocolate ice cream not shown.  Photo credit to the Darto pan.  Which warped on my Paragon, which is a different story.

• Like 7
  • Sad 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@CantCookStillTry, you put many more confident cooks (myself among them) to shame with your creativity and delicious-looking results! That's a beautiful stir-fry above.

• Like 5

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Another pesto/zucchini/proscuitto flatbread

thumbnail_IMG_8025.jpg.dbcfad05101fff8e2d5b5d8b0d15d64c.jpg

Made some spag. sauce to help with the squash overload.  Also made some ricotta in the IP with some whole milk that was on the brink of bad.  So, I made ravioli stuffed with that and diced Boars Head pepperoni.

thumbnail_IMG_8026.jpg.be03a6b74656fdd1255237cff218aabf.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Khaman dhokla (chickpea flour savory steamed "cake") flavored with curry leaves, turmeric, chilies and some other spices. Topped with sesame, mustard, hing, cumin, coconut flakes fried in coconut oil, lemon juice.

Flavored paneer skewers - Some with tandoori spices, ginger, garlic. Some with toasted sesame and nigella seeds.

Roasted potatoes with coriander seeds, cumin, mustard, peanuts.

Raita of yogurt, tamarind, date molasses, coconut, tadka of cumin, mustard and some fennel fried in butter.

Pudina (mint) chutney with green chili, cilantro, fenugreek, hing and a few other spices, coconut, lemon, a little sugar.

IMG_20200718_150459.thumb.jpg.9e6c01f2978fcb62e11876210c8e2167.jpg

IMG_20200718_145836.thumb.jpg.fe59c9efa74b43baafacf993148a2c56.jpgIMG_20200718_150112_1.thumb.jpg.227f6fe35c531ee5b5b3d9eb03f75d6c.jpgIMG_20200718_150236.thumb.jpg.fe5120e93cfb02d443ff88e4d091638e.jpg

IMG_20200718_132413_1.jpg

IMG_20200718_143831_1.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3

~ Shai N.

@mgaretz – Hope things went well and that you are already starting to feel a little better. 

@Paul Bacino – delicious looking sandwich.  I need to put mortadella on my shopping list!

@RWood – arancini is one of my favorite things to eat!  I am not confident I could make it and there aren’t any restaurants in my area that make it that I know of.   

@Norm Matthews – what a beautiful, professional looking meringue you got on your pie!  Bravo!

@Shelby – thanks for posting the link for the Fattoush – I will be trying that.  Your post reminds me that I need to make corn cob broth.  I’ve got a bag full of them in the freezer. 

@liuzhou – Wow!  What a dramatic fall.  I’m very glad you weren’t hurt worse than you were and hope you are feeling fitter soon.  Glad you had your lovely little shrimp to comfort you!

@robirdstx – re: your fajita steak – what is your marinade like and how hot do you think your grill is?  I want something that looks like THAT!!!

@CantCookStillTry – I would be happy to sit down to that lovely stir-fry.  Please serve me along with your son – I don’t like spicy either.😁

On Wednesday Mr. Kim requested pancakes for dinner.  I did the Crema/Yogurt ones.  Such thick batter:

IMG_2940.jpg.4613a175ea3e588089dbc3f7450b8732.jpg

Go withs:

IMG_2942.jpg.762f080c838b1c025114cacd7dc542c0.jpg

Pears, grapefruit, grapes, syrup, and Bourbon Peach butter that a friend of Jessica’s made for Mr. Kim. 

Pancakes with Benton’s bacon and some ham from the freezer:

IMG_2943.jpg.77593055d31a6c6acc153a7980a977f1.jpg

Such light, fluffy pancakes:

IMG_2945.jpg.3990b236ffea10a14e27017b3a1aba47.jpg

Friday night started with Hanover (local county) tomatoes and marinated cucumbers:

IMG_2947.thumb.jpg.ed1fbb3f037110aa85573e08ccb19a21.jpg

Cheeseburgers on brioche buns, sweet potato fries (frozen), and tomatoes my way – peeled and Duke’d.  Produce stand corn:

IMG_2949.thumb.jpg.164a7c123643aab909446ce39233727c.jpg

IMG_2948.jpg.069aa7c8fc08465fc9dbd1ab992ea7a3.jpg

Mr. Kim nicely went to TWO restaurants to pick up dinner for us.  He and Jessica got Thai and I got Yen Ching.  Jessica got her regular – Masamun curry and Summer rolls (which are basically the same thing as fresh Spring rolls in Vietnamese restaurants – NORMALLY).  The curry:

IMG_2960.jpg.9cab582878244f218cb5913742738680.jpg

And these odd things that were mostly lettuce with “peanut sauce” that was pure hoisin:

IMG_2959.jpg.5ef5169ea004fe6758e9864988be3c1c.jpg

This place has been Jessica’s favorite Thai place for years.  When she goes in, the matriarch of the place recognizes her and makes sure she gets her special order (just extra sauce) correct.  Sadly, she hasn’t seen this lady in months and the quality of the food has suffered.  The curry was just ok.  Mike got the Red Curry (no picture, it looked just like Jessica’s).  I got fried pork dumplings and Five Taste Shrimp:

IMG_2957.thumb.jpg.5a8686d23a901e685d01c45df035d181.jpg

IMG_2958.jpg.5ea31d0f0131b6dcc0a4184ee25ac0d1.jpg

I’d never had this shrimp dish before and liked it very much.  They have always been agreeable about lowering the heat on my dishes, so I can get anything on the menu.

I’ve been craving roast chicken and gravy, so yesterday I made some gravy from the stock I had in the freezer:

IMG_2964.jpg.7f5da03e3d9ec1d5fc3ff4e7abafb1f8.jpg

Made in my beloved, never-fail cast aluminum Dutch oven that my grandmother gave me when she “upgraded” to non-stick Silverstone.  This pan is one of those things that I would grab before running out of the house if we were on fire. 

CSO roasted legs and thighs, pan roasted potatoes, Ina Garten’s shredded, sautéed Brussel sprouts, and Stove Top dressing.  Without:

IMG_2965.jpg.95193a11034e7836fb57e5e2f7042cbf.jpg

And with:

IMG_2968.jpg.1c88841a4f18449b5006ddb8c329278a.jpg

And more carbs to mop up that good gravy:

IMG_2967.jpg.694752cfc335ea7c12edc33397a49775.jpg

😉

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 2

21 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Hope things went well and that you are already starting to feel a little better. 

Thanks Kim and others. Things went well and feeling pretty normal. Finished my three days of liquids, now I move on to mushy food for a week. 

• Like 7

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

39 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

@robirdstx – re: your fajita steak – what is your marinade like and how hot do you think your grill is?  I want something that looks like THAT!!!

Thank you! Hubby preheated the grates over our gas grill’s ceramic searing unit at full blast for about 10 minutes, then he stayed with the steak, turning it every minute or so until he got the marks he wanted.

Marinade was a mix of olive oil, lime juice, ground cumin, granulated garlic powder, salt and black pepper, then a splash of pickled jalapeño juice.

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

@RWood – arancini is one of my favorite things to eat!  I am not confident I could make it and there aren’t any restaurants in my area that make it that I know of.   

You know, they aren't that hard to make. It just takes patience stirring risotto, which doesn't take that long. I used a recipe from Epicurious, and there is a video of how to make them as well. Give it a shot 😊.

I breaded all of them, cooked what we needed, then put the rest in the freezer. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

Marinade was a mix of olive oil, lime juice, ground cumin, granulated garlic powder, salt and black pepper, then a splash of pickled jalapeño juice.

Love using the pickling juice. You are the second person I've noticed today on eG using similar liquid (olives maybe) which of course I do not remember who or where.. I have done it since I first read Barbara Tropp's China Moon - esp the ginger juice. The liquid from my faux capers adds to many things (nasturtium seed pods)