• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

13 hours ago, shain said:

That's a Lebanese way of eating it. I always found it interesting, but couldn't bring myself to make such sandwich. I might be able to eat a quarter of one, then fall asleep :P

The version common here is made with kadayif pastry, and that's the one I prefer. The local version also usually have two pastry layers, but this I don't care about.

Falling asleep is compulsory and so niceeeeeeeeeeeee.

As for the version you mention, this is similar to Shawarma which took a variation on the original one with Lamb meat.

Knafe bel Jebn is offered in a myriad of taste and combinations including Nutella!!!!!

I am debating the value of deep fried Knafe from frozen state!!!!!

Shawarma fell under the same trap. I tasted Lamb - Beef - Chicken - Shrimps - Sojuk and......

I have never ever seen Shawarma in any other country besides Lebanon in the olden days. It was nowhere to be seen from Turkey to Egypt and the Levant.

As far as I am concerned, Shawarma was born in Lebanon and only available in Lebanon before the usual culinary appropriation of Turkey who claim it is their dish cooked on a horizontal spit. They even claim the name is Turkish.

The name is not and never has been Turkish. It is Lebanese from the amalgamation of Shawa which means to grill and Awarma which is a  typical local dish which is type of dry confit version of Lamb mince to be kept for the winter season. So it is Shawarman i.e Shawa Awarma.

Now try to explain this to billions of consumers. Food enters the political arena.

Knafe bel Jebn is Palestinian. Shawarma is Lebanese. Lahm bel Ajeen is Armenian. Foul and Taamia is Egyptian and Falafel is Levant fare.

End of rant......

Edited by Nicolai (log)
  • Like 4

I bought a daikon last week to grate about 1% of it as a garnish. The rest was waiting in the fridge for other uses, so I took a heart on Friday and made it into Lo Bak Go (or „turnip cake“). Fried the next day and served with sweet soy sauce/sriracha combo ... very tasty. This was meant as an evening snack, but a couple of rounds were requested, so I call it dinner 😉

3A063201-D9D0-4EC2-A664-20BE34C606E1.thumb.jpeg.9486d15d2d8b1dfdaeeabb92404e015e.jpeg

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 1

IMG_1732.jpeg.fc78c967baabfc2c0c520cc244001c11.jpeg

CSO roasted Poulet Rouge from Joyce Farms.  Rubbed with duck fat, fresh thyme shoved under the skin.

I'm of the opinion that a roasted chicken from the CSO looks better than a roasted chicken from that newfangled steam oven.

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3
  • Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I only make this grilled chicken fattoush salad this time of year with our cucumbers, onions and tomatoes from the garden.    It's one of my favorite things to eat...probably because I only do it once or twice a summer.

thumbnail_IMG_8019.jpg.8a38dc12b8b1e9caef84430c8ec70b40.jpg

To go with, a vegetable soup made entirely from the garden.  Ever since I got the Deep Run Roots cookbook, I make corn broth out of the sweet corn cobs after putting the kernels up in the freezer.  That's the broth I used last night.  Very light and summery, even though it was soup. 

thumbnail_IMG_8020.jpg.0a6260244d16304cc4fdbbbddaed3da4.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 2

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

I bought a daikon last week to grate about 1% of it as a garnish. The rest was waiting in the fridge for other uses, so I took a heart on Friday and made it into Lo Bak Go (or „turnip cake“). Fried the next day and served with sweet soy sauce/sriracha combo ... very tasty. This was meant as an evening snack, but a couple of rounds were requested, so I call it dinner 😉

3A063201-D9D0-4EC2-A664-20BE34C606E1.thumb.jpeg.9486d15d2d8b1dfdaeeabb92404e015e.jpeg

Love turnip cakes at Dim Sum restaurants - would be very curious to hear your process to create those lovely morsels!

• Like 1

An emergency dinner.

Last night, I stood up from my desk to go to bed and the next thing I knew I was lying on the floor with my chair on top of me, my electric fan beside me and other stuff all in the wrong place. I have no idea what happened.

Anyway, I woke up this morning, to find that my left foot was no longer functional. I suspected broken toes, but after limping, hobbling and muttering all the way to the local quackery, an X-ray decided the bones are intact but the flesh is severely bruised.

Point being that I am virtually immobile for a few days. So dinner was not what I had planned, but I soldiered on on one leg and came up with something. Fortunately, the seafood place lies between my place and the lair of the white-coated medical torturers! And they provided me with a chair when they saw my difficulty. One young lady even offered to carry my meagre purchases home for me.

So, clam and mustard green soup.

soup2.thumb.jpg.71c5726603c217dcdc9d16fe4a051df6.jpg

Simple fried shrimp over orzo with garlic and scallions - dusted with shichimi togarishi.

20200726_205435.thumb.jpg.825750c5fc95676f4a8ef212fb223023.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 2
  • Sad 15

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

11 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

An emergency dinner.

Last night, I stood up from my desk to go to bed and the next thing I knew I was lying on the floor with my chair on top of me, my electric fan beside me and other stuff all in the wrong place. I have no idea what happened.

Anyway, I woke up this morning, to find that my left foot was no longer functional. I suspected broken toes, but after limping, hobbling and muttering all the way to the local quackery, an X-ray decided the bones are intact but the flesh is severely bruised.

Point being that I am virtually immobile for a few days. So dinner was not what I had planned, but I soldiered on on one leg and came up with something. Fortunately, the seafood place lies between my place and the lair of the white-coated medical torturers! And they provided me with a chair when they saw my difficulty. One young lady even offered to carry my meagre purchases home for me.

Wishing you a prompt recovery.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

An emergency dinner.

So, clam and mustard green soup.

soup2.thumb.jpg.71c5726603c217dcdc9d16fe4a051df6.jpg

Simple fried shrimp over orzo with garlic and scallions - dusted with shichimi togarishi.

20200726_205435.thumb.jpg.825750c5fc95676f4a8ef212fb223023.jpg

This is a stunning meal in the best of times.   How you pulled it off is amazing,    All good thoughts for fast healing and no repeat performamces.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

eGullet member #80.

5 hours ago, shain said:

Sweet corn salad with green beans, onion, tomato, fish sauce, chilies, lime juice, lime zest, garlic, coconut oil, peanuts, basil.

IMG_20200717_144138_1.jpg

Great flavor combo as you always do. . I particularly like the way you prepped the corn itself. Not just itty bitty single kernels. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, heidih said:

Great flavor combo as you always do. . I particularly like the way you prepped the corn itself. Not just itty bitty single kernels. 

Thanks!

~ Shai N.

@liuzhou I hope you get better soon. It sucks that you're immobile for a few days but I'm more concerned about the fainting. I hope it was just a random thing and not a sign of something more serious! At least you're eating well!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

@liuzhou that is a pretty strange story. I only hope that if I mysteriously end up under my chair with a bruised foot you will make me clam soup. Heal fast. Do your local noodle joints deliver?

Thanks. Yes, everywhere delivers, but I'm stubborn and will keep trying to cook until I really can't.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, KennethT said:

@liuzhou I hope you get better soon. It sucks that you're immobile for a few days but I'm more concerned about the fainting. I hope it was just a random thing and not a sign of something more serious! At least you're eating well!

Thanks. I don't really think I fainted. More likely tripped over something, but in the chaos couldn't identify it. It just all happened so quickly. Thankfully years of falling off horses as a kid/young man taught me how to fall more safely and I instinctively rolled into a ball protecting what remains of my brains. Only my left foot was hurt.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Thanks. I don't really think I fainted. More likely tripped over something, but in the chaos couldn't identify it. It just all happened so quickly. Thankfully years of falling off horses as a kid/young man taught me how to fall more safely and I instinctively rolled into a ball protecting what remains of my brains. Only my left foot was hurt.

I guess that's the good news - it certainly could have been worse! Take care and go slow for now! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TicTac said:

Love turnip cakes at Dim Sum restaurants - would be very curious to hear your process to create those lovely morsels!

~500 g of Daikon, cut into matchstick sized sticks 

1 teaspoon of salt, sugar

120 g rice flour

10 g potato starch

some bacon, soaked mushrooms, katsuobushi

Take the daikon, fry it with some water for about 10 min. Drain and cool down. Reserve the cooking liquid.

Soak some dried mushrooms, reserving the soaking liquid. Mix liquid with cooking liquid.

Mix cooked daikon, flour, starch, salt & sugar (pinch of MSG if desired). Add about 200 mL of combined liquids. Combine to make a uniform mixture, add bacon, ‘shrooms & fishflakes. But into oiled heatproof bowl ans steam for 1h at high heat.

Cool down and keep in the fridge for one day. Slice into 1cm slices, fry in hit oil until golden and serve with a dipping sauce made from sweet soy sauce and sriracha.

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Duvel said:

Lo Bak Go (or „turnip cake“)

5 hours ago, Shelby said:

grilled chicken fattoush salad

I'm intrigued by those lovely dishes, Duvel and Shelby. Could you point to some recipes. please?

• Like 1