• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

2 hours ago, Franci said:

I gained back points with my daughter 😁 She approved tonight’s pasta with tuna 😅

7F86BA9D-ED32-489A-976C-32B90E1421BC.jpeg

That was my dinner last night.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

17 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Not mine!  It was for the first family owners of this house some years ago.  The original owner was the "Banana King" aka the founder of the United Fruit Company.  The couple the plates were made for are deceased now and the house is in a trust operated by their grandchildren.  They cannot sell the house or it reverts to the town.  It's a pretty interesting story.  

@liamsaunt

This is a fun book if you ever happen to see it (like maybe that little used book shop in Wellfleet?)!

IMG_1712.thumb.JPG.373fe980c7a909f71810d215ec682c8a.JPG

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I made Sheet Pan Gnocchi last night for dinner.

While the vegetables were simply amazing, the gnocchi left something to be desired.

I'm wondering what I could substitute for the gnocchi next time that would add more flavor.

Suggestions, please?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

@liamsaunt

This is a fun book if you ever happen to see it (like maybe that little used book shop in Wellfleet?)!

Cool.  That looks like it might be a house in The Colony.  I will keep an eye out for it as a have a small collection of books about Cape Cod.  I wish I could go to the bookstore, but am not comfortable enough to spend a long time inside browsing yet.  Maybe when we are back in September and October.

Last night, cucumber margaritas and nicoise salad.

2101638118_cucumbermargarita.thumb.jpg.d424f9d34c1facef0ed64b56004ce897.jpg

nicoise2.thumb.jpg.e1d285456171b19c306a5af39c1c044e.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 4

21 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

@Shelby, you must have amazing will power.

I could never eat just one wing. 

LOL!  I really shouldn't be eating wings at all.  I have stitches in my mouth.  Honestly, eating that one wing took me almost as long as eating a whole chicken.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

22 hours ago, shain said:

I'll share the exact amount if you'd like.

Shai, yes please. I just looked at your recipe as preparation to cook it tonight, then realized that I didn't have a clear idea about the dish. Hope you still remember that far back!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

Cool.  That looks like it might be a house in The Colony.  I will keep an eye out for it as a have a small collection of books about Cape Cod.  I wish I could go to the bookstore, but am not comfortable enough to spend a long time inside browsing yet.  Maybe when we are back in September and October.

Right - nor am I! Have you ever seen this one? I got it out at the kids' store in Ptown one visit...

IMG_1718.thumb.JPG.da99f417f1e8aee68e9c8ab515523a63.JPG

• Like 3

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Thick maple-bourbon glazed pork chop, cabbage and carrots, all grilled on the PAG.

pag-chop3.jpg.aa9f30000e0d41c447c482182f41d193.jpg

Going in tomorrow for some minor oral surgery, but will be on a liquid diet for 4 days, the 7-10 days of mushy food, so this may be my last post for a while.

Edited by mgaretz (log)
  • Like 7
  • Sad 6

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

Shai, yes please. I just looked at your recipe as preparation to cook it tonight, then realized that I didn't have a clear idea about the dish. Hope you still remember that far back!

Sure, here:

Please not that this dish is strongly flavored, so adjust the spices to your liking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

~ Shai N.

A frugal dinner followed by a piggy dessert.......

Manousheh

Lebanese flat bread topped with Zaatar - EVOO (pre baking) - Labneh - Tomatoes - Cucumbers - Olives and fresh Mint leaves (post baking)

You join the Zaatar side with the Labneh side and enjoy....

r6Ibut7.jpg

Dessert

Chocolate Caramel and Hazelnuts Cake

c9IPFKe.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 6

48 minutes ago, Nicolai said:

A frugal dinner followed by a piggy dessert.......

Manousheh

Lebanese flat bread topped with Zaatar - EVOO (pre baking) - Labneh - Tomatoes - Cucumbers - Olives and fresh Mint leaves (post baking)

You join the Zaatar side with the Labneh side and enjoy....

r6Ibut7.jpg

Looks incredible! We got hooked on zaatar on a long ago visit to Jerusalem. 

• Like 1

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

A common easy snack / side which I recommend for zaatar lover is a halved pita bread (as in one pita split into two discs), the inner side scattered with plenty of zaatar and a generous drizzle of olive oil. Put on a grill (from the bottom side only) and heat until crisp and smells like heaven. Best served with labneh and tomatoes, as Nicolai suggested. I like to add extra sumac or a touch lemon.

• Like 5

~ Shai N.

A burmease inspired meal. Pan fried soft egg, Pan fried marinated Shan tofu (chickpea tofu). Coconut rice with crispy shallots. A curry/sauce to be mixed into the egg and tofu - made of onions, chilies, a little tomato, a few spices (garlic, ginger, turmeric, cumin, coriander and a few more), lime, some shrimp paste, a little Thai curry paste as a flavor boost.

IMG_20200712_215414.thumb.jpg.ed0fe52abc567dfbec9fc213e535afa9.jpg

Some cold ouzo as a digestif.

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

i came home last night around midnight and what does one do at midnight?  why, they embark on a mission to make  chana masala... I having just made a large pot of bean the day before and having recently received the mango powder in the mail, i just had to do it.  Some where along the way, i felt the need to tweek the dish.  So, i added peanut butter.  Peanut butter you say?  Why yes, peanut butter.  I figured it would be like India meets Thai meets, high guy in brooklyn.  

To tell you the truth, it's actually pretty good... Locally foraged cilantro.    

image.png.17c8fac9c0baa5e5d61102dae0e228d2.png

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, BKEats said:

i came home last night around midnight and what does one do at midnight?  why, they embark on a mission to make  chana masala... I having just made a large pot of bean the day before and having recently received the mango powder in the mail, i just had to do it.  Some where along the way, i felt the need to tweek the dish.  So, i added peanut butter.  Peanut butter you say?  Why yes, peanut butter.  I figured it would be like India meets Thai meets, high guy in brooklyn.  

To tell you the truth, it's actually pretty good... Locally foraged cilantro.    

When there is no tahini around I'll use peanut butter instead in a chickpea dip along the lines of hummus. . It also can add an interesting note of richness in many other preps. Originally purchased for mouse traps! Never know until you try ;) 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, BKEats said:

India meets Thai meets, high guy in brooklyn.  

High Guy's often come up with the most delicious concoctions - random, but delicious.

.....Not that I would know anything about any of that........

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, TicTac said:

High Guy's often come up with the most delicious concoctions - random, but delicious.

.....Not that I would know anything about any of that........

A similar ancient discussion here: 3 a.m. party grub

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, shain said:

A common easy snack / side which I recommend for zaatar lover is a halved pita bread (as in one pita split into two discs), the inner side scattered with plenty of zaatar and a generous drizzle of olive oil. Put on a grill (from the bottom side only) and heat until crisp and smells like heaven. Best served with labneh and tomatoes, as Nicolai suggested. I like to add extra sumac or a touch lemon.

1687459043_PitaCrispsIMG_8223.thumb.JPG.1b06b7ef0ab477e33f6981d76395a3c2.JPG

If I only had a grill...

• Like 5

Tasty Travails - My Blog