• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

Tonight for guests I made a traditional Alfredo. The plan was for fresh fettuccine but I lost so much time on the dessert I had to settle for dried pasta. It was still amazing and so good we never got around to getting a picture. 

For dessert, blueberry balsamic ravioli with mint and ricotta, with a lemon glaze. The leftover filling Mrs Meshugana made into a crumble. Both were absolutely incredible. 

Next time I think I will try deep frying the ravioli and making a lemon dipping sauce. 

64D4AC7D-B542-4F24-9CA4-7BE407739463.jpeg

55095FE2-6078-420C-B6F5-FE04BBABBAB3.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 4

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

21 minutes ago, pastameshugana said:

Tonight for guests I made a traditional Alfredo. The plan was for fresh fettuccine but I lost so much time on the dessert I had to settle for dried pasta. It was still amazing and so good we never got around to getting a picture. 

In my experience if I have excellent parm like my guys would cut from the wheel  I prefer the chew of dried with the richness of Alfredo.

@Kim Shook 

""  baked spaghetti "

Lasagna w/o flat noodles !

Whenit gets cooler , and I can get the supplies

Ill try this w bow-ties.   I have a lot of bow-ties

I love béchamel in lasagna , and will try a full fat cottage cheese w amendments

( basil , TJ's parmesan-ish , egg-yolk )

for that effect.

i have TurkeyRagu Fz.

looking forward to it. 

• Like 3

Dry curry cauliflower, caramelized onion, raisins, butter, lemon, chilies, garlic. In a spice mix of turmeric, coriander, fenugreek, cumin, mustard, curry leaves, fennel seeds, pepper, paprika and a few more spices.

Green beans, okra, mung beans and scrambled eggs in a thick yogurt sauce with garlic, hing, turmeric, cumin, mustard and a few more spices.

Basmati rice flavored with Tadka.

IMG_20200710_221212.thumb.jpg.7d8d930586f5ccd113ed5dfbfb6a490c.jpg

IMG_20200710_221149.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 3

~ Shai N.

14 hours ago, gfweb said:

@Kim Shook "Aldi Red Bag chicken (frozen prepared boneless fried chicken breasts"

Breaded and fried and then frozen?

Yep.  Strange, but true.  They aren't as good as I could make.  But they are surprisingly good and take 40 minutes.  It is good quality chicken and the breading is not too thick.  I remember buying frozen fried chicken in college in the late 1970's (probably Banquet).  I was a typical poor student and when i had a craving, I couldn't just go to KFC.  So, I bought boxes of the stuff and cooked one piece when the need hit.  I remember it being kind of funky tasting.  These are different - no funk.  But they are definitely a guilty pleasure short cut.  😁

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, TdeV said:

@shain, such an attractive dish! Do you have some proportions for that green bean etc. dish?

5 eggs

~120g (dry) mung beans, chickpeas, other beans

200-250g green beans and/or okra - stir fried or blanched until cooked to your liking

1 green chili, de-seeded

1 scallion, cut thinly

150g tart yogurt

The eggs, beans, green beans/okra are each cooked individually. The spices and garlic fried in butter in order (whole spice, then garlic and powders), scallion and chili added and cooked shortly. Add yogurt and flavor to taste. Heat up.

I'll share the exact amount if you'd like.

• Thanks 1

~ Shai N.

I baked a couple of loves of focaccia and brought them down to the Cape with me.  I did not feel like going to the fish market yesterday, so made them into caprese sandwiches.  Watermelon margaritas to start.  The heat index was 102 yesterday, but we have a good breeze at the house.

470596802_watermelonmargarita.thumb.jpg.38e57b75d07140703e29e13677398277.jpg

foccacia.thumb.jpg.fb789dd654463c459b9f388504c3261b.jpg

caprese.thumb.jpg.05b91a44cadc986c21077ceb8f15e041.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 3

Gotta love this time of year.   Last night for dinner.

Fresh corn on the cob.

Sliced fresh garden tomatoes with olive oil and basil on top 

Fried zucchini silver dollars.

That's it.  I am not even vegan, but this time of year combo of the heat and fresh produce makes it an occasional treat.

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, liamsaunt said:

I baked a couple of loves of focaccia and brought them down to the Cape with me.  I did not feel like going to the fish market yesterday, so made them into caprese sandwiches.  Watermelon margaritas to start.  The heat index was 102 yesterday, but we have a good breeze at the house.

caprese.thumb.jpg.05b91a44cadc986c21077ceb8f15e041.jpg

Do I spy an anniversary celebration?

• Like 1

PastaMeshugana

we grilled again last night. I broke down 2 racks for Costco rack of lamb into chops. Had with roasted cauliflower, and an israeli salad (persian cukes, tomatoes, onion, mint and french feta. Didn't take many pics. Opened a birth year wine for my daughter's boyfriend

IMG_2385.jpg

61698374820__60F2A61F-176F-4C87-81E6-06D5A9EBA08F.JPG

61698371755__7CC0F23E-C54F-44D5-87E1-50DA9CE4FF3B.JPG

IMG_1763.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 2

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

@liamsaunt, your meals are always lovely! Could you please say how you make your focaccia?

I found the recipe in the current issue of Cook's Country magazine.  I don't have it with me on the Cape, but can paraphrase it when I am home.

49 minutes ago, pastameshugana said:

Do I spy an anniversary celebration?

Not mine!  It was for the first family owners of this house some years ago.  The original owner was the "Banana King" aka the founder of the United Fruit Company.  The couple the plates were made for are deceased now and the house is in a trust operated by their grandchildren.  They cannot sell the house or it reverts to the town.  It's a pretty interesting story.  

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

Not mine!  It was for the first family owners of this house some years ago.  The original owner was the "Banana King" aka the founder of the United Fruit Company.  The couple the plates were made for are deceased now and the house is in a trust operated by their grandchildren.  They cannot sell the house or it reverts to the town.  It's a pretty interesting story.  

Very cool. Now I've got some reading to go and do! I was going to say: 65 years is a serious achievement!

PastaMeshugana

In my fridges veggie compartment I found cabbage, spring onions, spinach and some green peppers, so I thought ... cabbage strudel. Unfortunately, I felt far to lazy to prep some proper strudel dough and settled for a cabbage quiche. Thyme, caraway, nutmeg, some mountain cheese to top it - definetely a shortcut preparation compared to strudel, but a yummy one nonetheless ...

8F3AA7D8-72B2-4F22-8847-CAAF8C102D9B.thumb.jpeg.6dab7933d7830e3381ca46b3330154fa.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 4

44 minutes ago, Duvel said:

In my fridges veggie compartment I found cabbage, spring onions, spinach and some green peppers, so I thought ... cabbage strudel. Unfortunately, I felt far to lazy to prep some proper strudel dough and settled for a cabbage quiche. Thyme, caraway, nutmeg, some mountain cheese to top it - definetely a shortcut preparation compared to strudel, but a yummy one nonetheless ...

I only made my own Strudel Teig once - fun to do and good. Otherwise - phyllo

• Like 1

This is night two of fresh pasta (my *first* successful fresh pasta).

2020-07-21-192235_002.thumb.jpeg.0e96e16cf0a86eaf42a0032bebb85ae5.jpeg

Thanks to @lindag and @weinoo, I'm the proud owner of of a Moulinex Mouli-Julienne grater. These cheeses are Gruyère and Parmigiano Reggiano. The topping has roasted and fresh tomatoes, roasted garlic, sautéed leek, fresh corn, basil, stock.

2020-07-21-192235_001.thumb.jpeg.9751d06d58f48ad09d4b2abf90e3afe6.jpeg

And here they are together

2020-07-21-192235_003_C.thumb.jpg.34e22b719b95f26ab475afef586fe9cc.jpg

• Like 17
  • Delicious 4