• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

2 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

@Kim Shook Speaking of bananas, Charlie just showed me a recipe from a place called Atomic Age Recipes. It was bananas wrapped in ham and melted Velveeta drizzled over all.  

Might serve it along side an andouillette sausage for contrast.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

eGullet member #80.

54 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Potato masala with Indian spiced chicken on a bed of rau ram.

Nice! Is that your home grown rau ram? A friend called today from Ohio. She is Viet 1975 evac She left one of the largest Viet communities - Orange County, California.I asked about food sourcing. She said she consulted the ladies at the nail salon in her new town. Not perfect but she is surviving.  ;) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Franci said:

@Duvel, looks wonderful. As soon as I saw this, I thought about the “baciata”, I’ve never made it but it’s going to be soon on my list. Here, Bonci, linking from here that already has subtitles 

Thanks, @Franci, for adding just another “must try” to my list 🤗

• Haha 1

Had a couple of cups of tomato sauce with a bit of clam juice in the freezer (leftover from March), so I finally was able to use it. Sauteed some onion and garlic, added capers, then the sauce. Simmered a bit, then added canned artichocke bottoms, bay scallops, and fresh parsley, cooked a few minutes. Served with Barilla chickpea pasta, which certainly isn’t the same as the traditional type, but quite acceptable.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

48 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I'm interested in what got you to that pairing?

It was my wife's doing and it was completely brilliant. We're suckers for old Chenin - it ages so well due to its high acidity. Its sweetness cut through the chilis nicely (and had beautiful notes of honey, quince paste and sweet spices and oxidative ones like toasted nuts and baked apple) while its acidity kept your mouth watering for more.

• Like 1

BF816AF4-405F-4E1B-BF64-E9BA1B70114B.thumb.jpeg.53fe95bf568739864e5efcbe25c61612.jpeg

Not a typical Summer dinner, but I still had some of the Pork Butt that I had previously cooked in the Instant Pot, so decided to use it in a stew with potatoes, carrots and onion. Added some chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce and black pepper and cooked it all in the instant pot for 6 minutes on high pressure, then a quick release. Then I added a drained can of green beans and a few sprinkles of Wondra flour. Gave it a few stirs, then left it on Keep Warm for about 15 minutes so the beans could warm through and the gravy could thicken.

2F497D42-65B1-45C3-BA65-C5E0892DE59F.thumb.jpeg.32be9ac15e8db6f4ea679ce729307c0d.jpeg

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

It was my wife's doing and it was completely brilliant. We're suckers for old Chenin - it ages so well due to its high acidity. Its sweetness cut through the chilis nicely (and had beautiful notes of honey, quince paste and sweet spices and oxidative ones like toasted nuts and baked apple) while its acidity kept your mouth watering for more.

Great choice. Love the old Chenins; wish I had some!

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Remaining cherry tomato rose sauce served over soft boiled eggs and a crisp baguette. Parmesan and chives.

IMG_20200713_221347.thumb.jpg.77238675073290818fd90361ffadeaee.jpgIMG_20200713_221359.thumb.jpg.48f05c918617dad603a5c21c4290f4f1.jpg

I added more sauce and cheese after taking the picture :)

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

~ Shai N.

8 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Great choice. Love the old Chenins; wish I had some!

I think we got it at Park Avenue Wines a while ago.  They have a lot of oddball stuff like that from time to time...  Just checked - they have a '98 Savennieres for a decent price...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Made toasted club house sandwiches.

Roasted chicken breast, lettuce, tomatoes and bacon. A favourite.

And the real deal! No turkey in the club house!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

19 minutes ago, weinoo said:

No turkey in the club house!

Sounds like a line Charles Grodin might have delivered in an 80s comedy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Felt like deep frying stuff tonight. So, Schnitzel. I gave option according to what I had in the fridge “Jäger” (hunter-style = mushroom cream sauce) or “Hawaii” (pineapple, cheese & a pickled cherry). Of course they wanted both 🤔

Sometimes I wish my family would take German food rules more seriously. Creamed spinach and Bratkartoffeln to make it a meal.

F53C5C4C-6E85-4086-88AF-495FA73D274E.thumb.jpeg.b331137a58680cbeaffc071ca4ce1e6b.jpeg

Kid was happy, emptied the mushrooms over the potatoes and demolished it all (despite the apparent lack of taste 😉 )

86ABB3DA-BA9D-405C-A1DF-76650303D4DA.thumb.jpeg.3d8e164167e64bf46b91d5e8ec9aadbd.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Haha 5

44 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Kid was happy, emptied the mushrooms over the potatoes and demolished it all (despite the apparent lack of taste 😉 )

Smart Kid.

Mushrooms and potatoes are perfect together...not to mention that I spied bacon bits and a cream sauce....he's onto something!

:)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

Felt like deep frying stuff tonight. So, Schnitzel. I gave option according to what I had in the fridge “Jäger” (hunter-style = mushroom cream sauce) or “Hawaii” (pineapple, cheese & a pickled cherry). Of course they wanted both 🤔

Sometimes I wish my family would take German food rules more seriously. Creamed spinach and Bratkartoffeln to make it a meal.

Made me cringe but there is the "Hawaiian pizza" thing so just breathe. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, heidih said:

Made me cringe but there is the "Hawaiian pizza" thing so just breathe. 

Yup. We had that on Sunday ... guess where the canned pineapple slices came fron in my fridge 😉

Appears to be a German thing ... an homage to the original Toast Hawaii !

• Like 1

@heidih – I got the same feeling.  The combination of cheese and pineapple just doesn’t sound right to me.  There is a popular (here, at least) pineapple casserole that some folks add shredded cheese to.  I don’t.  But I’ve had it when I didn’t know that it was made with cheese and liked it just fine.  So, like you, I’m going to hold judgement.😁

Last night – the same old salad:

IMG_2920.thumb.jpg.716e17379a4058f1fb9c5b0e2250f41b.jpg

Mr. Kim wanted chicken parm, so I short-cutted a bit and used the Aldi Red Bag chicken (frozen prepared boneless fried chicken breasts).  Sides were green beans and a new recipe for baked spaghetti:
IMG_2917.jpg.00edac01ee5586fbc95b680e21df31d4.jpg

IMG_2918.jpg.fdc8ca889fef9306666df12f8d82fc4c.jpg

I’ve honestly never used a recipe for baked spaghetti before.  I just tipped leftover pasta and sauce into a casserole dish, added some cheese on top, and baked until everything was hot and melty.  That was always pretty good, but this time I followed (to some extent) a recipe.  It called for layering the ingredients and for treating the pasta in an interesting way: you tossed the cooked pasta with Parm, melted butter, and an egg.  I did make one change – I left out the cottage cheese.  I don’t have any objection to it, I just didn’t notice it in the ingredients and neglected to put it on my shopping list.  We really liked it a lot and the balance of ingredients was certainly better than my previous dump method.  Plated:

IMG_2921.jpg.bd9484619944bb7837427c6be5fc1b73.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Pesto Polenta with slow roasted tomatoes, squash, corn and peppers. 

jAt5Sq4.jpg

roasted these bargain tomatoes for about an hour at 325. I bought maybe 8 of them at a farm for 3.99..  They had sage and rosemary, salt and garlic.

Nnkgyhz.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1