• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

The other night we had a zoom call with some friends; by the time it was finished, we were well into our 2nd(!) bottle of wine, and even a wine with a fairly low ABV means we were schnookered.

Therefore, dinner was snacks. Crudite with hummus. Olives. Stuff like that. I did put this on a plate, however:

1358419373_Tunapimentopiparra07-17.jpeg.ecdcdedbba34a62faa9d2f2ba0ef1aee.jpeg

Some ventresca from Spain, pimentos from Spain, Piparras from Spain. Crackers from the UK! 

Last night very little wine. And I like having the nice batch of pesto both in the fridge as well as in the freezer. Then this becomes easy...

968065367_Linguinipotatoespesto07-18.jpeg.0fc4824ac60c1a1acbbe2fb88029a58d.jpeg

Linguini, potatoes, pesto. Veg on the side - roasted broccoli and carrots.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 11

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

13 hours ago, RWood said:

Still trying to get thru the blossoms and squash. Squash blossoms pizza with fresh mozzarella pearls, shaved zucchini, light tomato sauce, garlic oil, lemon zest and chile flakes. Also, sausage and pepperoni pizza.

E3F85483-37C6-4385-82C5-3390349C08C7.jpeg

383229D6-96B7-4737-9E98-798736762BC8.jpeg

Hard to tell from the photo, but are you removing the 'innards' of the flower?!

If so, those are the best (and sweetest) parts!

Lastly, if you are swimming in a glut, I would suggest sauteing them whole and then dress as a topping - you will be able to cram far more on that way! :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Very interesting!    I always remove the pistol as I was taught it was bitter.    Maybe I should taste one and decide for myself.   Thanks for this.

eGullet member #80.

9 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Very interesting!    I always remove the pistol as I was taught it was bitter.    Maybe I should taste one and decide for myself.   Thanks for this.

I never remove but I am a bitter lover. And I like leaving the nub where attached to plant  which is beautifully sweet. 

Edited by heidih (log)

Tonight “Hotel Transylvania” plus ...

Mushrooms & salami

5AEEEE10-EC84-4B22-B3DF-D1F2562B6023.thumb.jpeg.44783497256ec3d99978455849960fec.jpeg

Hawaii: Pinapple & smoked lardons

51379EF1-C99A-4FFC-9800-9465116CABAF.thumb.jpeg.ef5eb065def127ca8411b7989d8c098e.jpeg

Tuna, olives & onions

99BC2520-380E-44AD-917C-4B182F407CDC.thumb.jpeg.04f20c7753bce8208f3bd653079ba6c2.jpeg

Four cheeses & mushrooms 

85AD407A-5D1F-437D-B64B-408C08E42DCA.thumb.jpeg.9db78084e54be8f9f4a3f01b6a771780.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 4

2 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Grilled ribeye.  Not pictured, mac and cheese, summer squash, big salad.  Headed back to the Cape in a few hours, so lots of seafood in my future.  

steak.thumb.jpg.ed1d7db3f235d14e5c7d8df84d33b213.jpg

1292266063_slicedsteak.thumb.jpg.c98e3909f287222d46ee2c33dfc0683a.jpg

Oh my, the steaks the steaks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I have been eating these for 30 years and never encountered a bitter pistol or stamen.

When the flowers are less than 1-3 days fresh, the innards tend to begin to go south first, so one might check for that under certain circumstances.

I would highly recommend crispy pancetta diced small, ramps or garlic scapes blended with ricotta and good olive oil - stuffed.  Then dredge in a mix of rice flour and cornstarch slurry.  Saute in a small amount of high temp smoking oil and enjoy!

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Then dredge in a mix of rice flour and cornstarch slurry.  Saute in a small amount of high temp smoking oil and enjoy!

I will second the rice flour and sometimes a little corn meal - the gritty stuff - adds a nice textural element

3 hours ago, TicTac said:

Lastly, if you are swimming in a glut, I would suggest sauteing them whole and then dress as a topping - you will be able to cram far more on that way! :)

I am removing. Just do, doesn't appeal to leave it for some reason. 🤷‍♀️ I might try it next time. 

Right now I have about 5 fresh blossoms in the fridge, the only zucchini growing right now are about 2" long. 

I'll check tomorrow and whatever flowers I get, I'm going to stuff them then. 

41 minutes ago, RWood said:

I am removing. Just do, doesn't appeal to leave it for some reason. 🤷‍♀️ I might try it next time. 

Right now I have about 5 fresh blossoms in the fridge, the only zucchini growing right now are about 2" long. 

I'll check tomorrow and whatever flowers I get, I'm going to stuff them then. 

I get the lack of appeal of that alien looking centerpiece, but trust me, it tastes just as good as the rest of the flower!

Oddly enough one of my plants just started drooping all of its leaves in the last couple of days, no signs of disease or rot, just is not willing to perk back up or produce much of anything (a couple male flowers per day)...not really quite sure what to do.  My farmer told me they most likely have no more energy left and to water less on the plant and circle some compost around the base, water around that.

Bit of a finicky plant, this zucchini is!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Grilled ribeye.  Not pictured, mac and cheese, summer squash, big salad.  Headed back to the Cape in a few hours, so lots of seafood in my future.  

steak.thumb.jpg.ed1d7db3f235d14e5c7d8df84d33b213.jpg

1292266063_slicedsteak.thumb.jpg.c98e3909f287222d46ee2c33dfc0683a.jpg

got a spare cot?

• Haha 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

1 hour ago, TicTac said:

I get the lack of appeal of that alien looking centerpiece, but trust me, it tastes just as good as the rest of the flower!

Oddly enough one of my plants just started drooping all of its leaves in the last couple of days, no signs of disease or rot, just is not willing to perk back up or produce much of anything (a couple male flowers per day)...not really quite sure what to do.  My farmer told me they most likely have no more energy left and to water less on the plant and circle some compost around the base, water around that.

Bit of a finicky plant, this zucchini is!

Wow never seen a finicky one. Over hybridized variety?  With your farmer on ground water only. Lusty pests really. I wish you well. 

Edited by heidih (log)

@weinoo – beautiful salads and salmon!!  I really wish I were putting that plate on my table tonight.

@Shelby – I hope you are feeling better!  When Jessica had her oral surgery, she ate the heck out of mac and cheese!

@FauxPas – more salmon.  I believe that some is in my near future!

@Duvel – that pork sandwich is one of the best looking and sounding things I’ve seen in a very long time.  And that chips, eggs, and sausage dinner is perfect!

Saturday we basically ate all day between eating the extra bananas while making 100 lunches at our church for shelters, lunch at our favorite burger stand, and a shared desserts and cookies from a favorite bakery.  Dinner was very late and just a pick-up meal.  Mr. Kim warmed up some spaghetti and I had two sandwich halves – ham and pimento cheese:

IMG_2888.jpg.410b851ca8a604650a49c62a26fa8f1d.jpg

😁

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

@Kim Shook Speaking of bananas, Charlie just showed me a recipe from a place called Atomic Age Recipes. It was bananas wrapped in ham and melted Velveeta drizzled over all.  

Oh, dear.  That sounds like something James Lileks would have collected! LOL

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I remove it, I  don’t like the taste of it. When I had the luck to have my own flowers, I’d remove it when the flowers just opened. 

Did not post the last dinners, really boring guys, zero creativity or wanting to cook btw. Tonight super simple too, vegetables roasted in the oven, tomato salad, I cooked some of the giant beans that I bought at the Spanish store, the only beans I really eat (some leftover for the next few days to add to salad) and a hanger steak on the cast iron grill. Some home bread and that was it. 

104C0E9E-62C6-44E1-8D00-58B0C8361466.jpeg

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, Norm Matthews said:

@Kim Shook Speaking of bananas, Charlie just showed me a recipe from a place called Atomic Age Recipes. It was bananas wrapped in ham and melted Velveeta drizzled over all.  

Yes, if an above-ground test has ruined your eyesight and your taste buds you might make a Southern Smoked Banana Dog and mistake it for food. 

• Haha 2

On 7/17/2020 at 1:42 PM, Duvel said:

At the butcher that had a suckling pig roll, which is essentially the deboned belly and back in one piece, connected by the still attached skin. I scored the meat, rubbed rosemary, fennel, lemon zest, chili, garlic & salt in, rolled the whole thing up and SV for 24h @ 68oC. Roasted in the oven to get a lovely suckling pig porchetta ...

5507BC89-4F49-42E5-A10B-1E553E4C6FB6.thumb.jpeg.ec24cafb6378e462c7b283ad79055b0c.jpeg

A pizza bianca to go with it ...

A4350014-6EA8-4F65-9921-0C858C85CE6D.thumb.jpeg.1eace63efb88947bcfd042725d65d701.jpeg

Final assembly with baby spinach and a sauce made from two whole grain mustards & the bag juices. 

ED5D462B-7852-4CE0-BAB8-372226E86BB9.thumb.jpeg.340e8278b40096e9a311606f4065233c.jpeg

Very simple, very good !

@Duvel, looks wonderful. As soon as I saw this, I thought about the “baciata”, I’ve never made it but it’s going to be soon on my list. Here, Bonci, linking from here that already has subtitles 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

Needs liverwurst.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3